Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

there was a story the other day in some media outlet that i forgot about how every single junior doctor that participated in this study where they drew cartoons of their experiences drew their supervisors as horrible monsters and themselves as mentally broken victims

theres a practice in medicine called pimping, i dont recall the etymology, but basically senior doctors will harass residents and ask them impossible questions in front of patients to make them look stupid and any other way to undermine them and damage their self confidence. to enforce hierarchy i guess but it sounds more twisted than the military's hierarchical philosophy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

theres a practice in medicine called pimping, i dont recall the etymology, but basically senior doctors will harass residents and ask them impossible questions in front of patients to make them look stupid and any other way to undermine them and damage their self confidence. to enforce hierarchy i guess but it sounds more twisted than the military's hierarchical philosophy

so basically your doctors go through rigorous hazing procedures to break them that's good to hear

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
holy poo poo the Okinawa thread somehow got even worse than it was earlier

its kinda amazing that the op is still trying to get it back on track while arguing with some of the worst posters in d&d

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

millennials!!!!!

This but unironically.

Seriously, even the poorest minority millenials in 'murica still lives like a king (one of the normal kind, not the British kind) compared to anybody everywhere else on the planet.

Get some perspective Ameribouj. :colbert:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Randler posted:

This but unironically.

Seriously, even the poorest minority millenials in 'murica still lives like a king (one of the normal kind, not the British kind) compared to anybody everywhere else on the planet.

hmmmmm i think this might be incorrect mr nazi man

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, economically you're not minimum wage, if you work minimum wage and live with your parents, because not having rental expenses is functionally the same as additional income and should be treated (and taxed!) as such. :colbert:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Randler posted:

This but unironically.

after you explained how german welfare works i can confidently say eat poo poo randler

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Randler posted:

Also, economically you're not minimum wage, if you work minimum wage and live with your parents, because not having rental expenses is functionally the same as additional income and should be treated (and taxed!) as such. :colbert:

there are no deductions for rent (tho there are for mortgage payments, which if you are living with your parents you are not making under your taxpayer id) so there is no difference in taxation. unless you take the aforementioned mortage deduction being a subsidization of home ownership and realize that that is its own form of penalty for living with your parents.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Randler posted:

this is just the sorta bold thinking we need!!!!!!

lets tax other sorts of non-income too like vegetarians for not having to pay for more expensive meats and virgins for not having to pay for condoms

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
if youre proposing adjusting tax brackets based on whether someone pays rent well what is the point because youre really just loving low income people for pennies

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

LorrdErnie posted:

lets tax other sorts of non-income too like vegetarians for not having to pay for more expensive meats and virgins for not having to pay for condoms

you would be surprised at some of the poo poo we're supposed to consider income in the US tax code

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

loving low income people for pennies

id think you got it in one

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

it's amazing, really

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Randler posted:

This but unironically.

They get sick like kings too, 18th century kings

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Randler posted:

This but unironically.

I had no idea you were so into Maoism-Third-Worldism

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/dadjokehansolo/status/690389684174852097

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Two people have 100,000 CU to invest in assets.

Person A purchases a house for 100,000 CU. If he rented that house, he would have to pay 5,000 CU/year. Economically, his asset house provides him with a good/service worth 5,000 CU/year minus maintenance expenses (let's assume linear depriciation over 50 years, so 2,000 CU/year in expenses). Economically person A receives an income from his investment of 3,000 CU/year.

Person B purchases bonds that have a fixed rate of return, earning him 5,000 CU/year in interest. Assuming for ease of example, that he does not have to pay any fees related to his depot, economically B receives an income of 5,000 CU/year.

For taxation purposes, the use of living in his own house is not considered taxable income for A, while the interest of B are taxable income. So despite the difference in economic value derived from their respective investments is only 2,000 CU/year the difference in taxable income is 5,000 CU/year.

Do you really not get how that is an issue with equality in taxation that soley benefits certain kinds of investments? I.e. real estate, which nowadays isn't a realistically affordable option for most people even in Richmerica?

[From an economic point of view a millenial living at home is functionally identical to him making an investment, so the same consequences re: actual economical income apply.]

LorrdErnie posted:

this is just the sorta bold thinking we need!!!!!!

Don't worry, I am not aware of any economist considering dumpster diving activities to generate relevant income.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
spoilers

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

i dont know why youre being so mean when i started agreeing with you :qq:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Randler posted:

Two people have 100,000 CU to invest in assets.

Person A purchases a house for 100,000 CU. If he rented that house, he would have to pay 5,000 CU/year. Economically, his asset house provides him with a good/service worth 5,000 CU/year minus maintenance expenses (let's assume linear depriciation over 50 years, so 2,000 CU/year in expenses). Economically person A receives an income from his investment of 3,000 CU/year.

Person B purchases bonds that have a fixed rate of return, earning him 5,000 CU/year in interest. Assuming for ease of example, that he does not have to pay any fees related to his depot, economically B receives an income of 5,000 CU/year.

For taxation purposes, the use of living in his own house is not considered taxable income for A, while the interest of B are taxable income. So despite the difference in economic value derived from their respective investments is only 2,000 CU/year the difference in taxable income is 5,000 CU/year.

Do you really not get how that is an issue with equality in taxation that soley benefits certain kinds of investments? I.e. real estate, which nowadays isn't a realistically affordable option for most people even in Richmerica?

[From an economic point of view a millenial living at home is functionally identical to him making an investment, so the same consequences re: actual economical income apply.]

Don't worry, I am not aware of any economist considering dumpster diving activities to generate relevant income.

no, investments need to have actual additional income to be taxed. if they take the money saved on rent and but tech stocks then by all means tax the capital gains otherwise money sitting there and not accumulating value is not income.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
drat I'm looking good.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
bloomberg is gonna run as an independent holy loly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like the jump from living with your parents to purchasing bonds

Like one necessarily follows the other

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

i see hes still in the floating the idea through the media stage which im assuming the negative reaction will kill this idea

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The Warszawa posted:

at least it's bigger than jim webb

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

no, investments need to have actual additional income to be taxed. if they take the money saved on rent and but tech stocks then by all means tax the capital gains otherwise money sitting there and not accumulating value is not income.

That is an overly narrow definition of investment that benefits a subset of asset owners and is divorced from economic reality, imo.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

at least it's bigger than jim webb
Jim Webb killed a man

and bragged about it

during the Democratic debate

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Randler posted:

That is an overly narrow definition of investment that benefits a subset of asset owners and is divorced from economic reality, imo.
if unspent money isnt invested in some way it declines in value because of inflation so idk what your problem is

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Jim Webb killed a man

and bragged about it

before going back to whine about how he didn't get enough time to speak

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey warsz are you still around and do you want to know more about the rise of image and artists in 90s comics

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Jim Webb killed a man

and bragged about it

Even better. He bragged about killing Vietnamese. With his Vietnamese wife smiling in the crowd.

That whole thing was weird as gently caress.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

before going back to whine about how he didn't get enough time to speak

There was a VC that wouldn't let me talk and we'll he's not around anymore :smug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Literally The Worst posted:

hey warsz are you still around and do you want to know more about the rise of image and artists in 90s comics

Yo do you want a disc image of that weird spawn cd I got. I can upload it when I get home

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

if unspent money isnt invested in some way it declines in value because of inflation so idk what your problem is

Mainly your inability or unwillingness to understand that money is interchangeable with goods and that it therefore should not make a difference whether an asset has its return in either form.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Yo do you want a disc image of that weird spawn cd I got. I can upload it when I get home

kinda yeah, i wanna ogle at a strange relic and i know a few people who might also be interested

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Literally The Worst posted:

yes

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Randler posted:

Mainly your inability or unwillingness to understand that money is interchangeable with goods and that it therefore should not make a difference whether an asset has its return in either form.

it sounds like youre advocating for a wealth tax which i am completely fine with but in murka we operate on an income tax basis and this doesnt pass muster sorry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's why class distinctions just based in income is not complete

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jagchosis posted:

it sounds like youre advocating for a wealth tax which i am completely fine with but in murka we operate on an income tax basis and this doesnt pass muster sorry

I'm starting to suspect you're trolling be by feigning eurpolish ignorance, goonsire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think Jackie Onassis earned anything until she was an editor but you would call her lower class.

I think she was maybe a news reporter for awhile.

• Locked thread