Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
These insights into the stats are really helpful, it's amazing that there aren't short explanations in the game. A paragraph for every tactical tweak possible is great, but surely knowing what the numbers that make up your players do is even more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Walton Simons posted:

These insights into the stats are really helpful, it's amazing that there aren't short explanations in the game. A paragraph for every tactical tweak possible is great, but surely knowing what the numbers that make up your players do is even more important.

If they were to explain exactly what each attribute really does in the match engine it would be exposed as a complete mess that isn't fit for purpose.

The attribute system should be torn down and started fresh but the database is so large that I can't see that ever happening. At best they will rename them here and there and hope that fixes more problems than it solves. See: Creativity becoming Vision but only vision for available passes all other "vision" (like another player coming to tackle) is based on Anticipation.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The match engine is definitely infuriating visually, I think I've conceded 50 goals in a row where my fullback cuts inside, leaves his man unmarked to cross, and then both the fullback and cb rush out to close him down leaving the striker alone to score.

That said, the overall results seem more realistic than in the past. I used to have no problem rolling up from the lower leagues to champion's league glory in no time, but I've actually run into a roadblock in the Championship this year. Maybe I've just become a poo poo manager.

Started as Forest Green in the Vanarama National, promoted two years in a row to get to League 1, and then after narrowly avoiding relegation managed promotion to the Championship. Finished 21st in year one before moving up to 14th in year two, but now I'm back to 21st with no hope in sight. Having a tiny stadium you can barely sell out is a much bigger issue this version it seems. I've had a 125k/week wage budget and 0 transfer budget 3 seasons in a row. It's tough to build a team with 0 ability to buy players and a max wage of around 8k/week. I managed to get Moha El Ouriachi, Jorge Grant, and Daniel Agyei (who I had loaned 5 seasons in a row at one point lol) back in League 1 and they're a solid core, but my defensive situation is horrendous.

Last season I had the most goals scored and the most conceded in the league, and I didn't feel I was playing too adventurous of a tactic. But I've been forced into playing League 1 quality CBs pretty regularly as I just can't find anyone better who is available on a free transfer and willing to play for a team of my reputation. This is the first game I've ever actually been motivated to leave for a better job. My youth team is also of course utterly trash as I have released every player to appear on a free so far. My current "best" prospect looks like he'll cap out around decent league 2 player.

On the bright side I have had the joy of Will Grigg pouring in 43 goals in his last 48 appearances despite my coaches insisting he's a decent league 1 player at best and I should transfer list him.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

SI needs to make the egyptian league playable so I can try out the 'we have your family chained up in a cairo basement' contract clause

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ffs I thought I'd spent enough time in the game and had figured out the match engine, so started a new game with West Ham, had them in 5th at Christmas, and then won 3 games in the new year like an even shitter Allardyce, as my players conspired to get sent off every second game and give away penalties like they were going out of style

I hate this game

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

If they were to explain exactly what each attribute really does in the match engine it would be exposed as a complete mess that isn't fit for purpose.

The attribute system should be torn down and started fresh but the database is so large that I can't see that ever happening. At best they will rename them here and there and hope that fixes more problems than it solves. See: Creativity becoming Vision but only vision for available passes all other "vision" (like another player coming to tackle) is based on Anticipation.

Sassy how important are Positioning and Composure for a fullback really since they can seem to excel without it when I look around at certain players. I feel like I've been overvaluing it far too long.

In fact what do those stats even do?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Isn't Composure in the same basket as Technique and Decisions in that it's one of those stats essential for every position and iirc unaffected by form?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Sassy how important are Positioning and Composure for a fullback really since they can seem to excel without it when I look around at certain players. I feel like I've been overvaluing it far too long.

In fact what do those stats even do?

Composure is a counterpart to (hidden) Pressure (and there's no small amount of confusing overlap between the two and Determination). It controls whether a player will respond well in high-pressure match situations, or blaze that one-on-one opportunity over the bar and slice a clearance to the opposition instead of playing tidily out from the back. It's a measure of their calmness/clear-headedness in a standard match situation.

Its importance for full-backs depends on what you need them to do. It's an important attribute imo, but they probably need it less than other positions.

Positioning is both the player knowing where to stand and the actual act of going to standing there. The former is also covered by Decisions (so much so that it is the only attribute affected by playing a player out of position. There is no Positioning penalty to playing a striker at centreback).

It's the only important stat for tracking back aside from general "can he be bothered" attributes like Concentration. But full-backs get good ratings for attacking play no matter how many goals the team concedes because of them, so who cares?

sassassin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 20, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Playing as Los Angeles, sold off Gyasi Zardes half way through the season for ~5 million. Since he'd missed about half of the games through repeated injuries and I had enough quality up front to survive without him.

Used the money to buy a good goalkeeper and central defender.

Second game for his new club, injured again.

Sassassin, your tips and info on the game and stats are amazing, do you have a guide or summary or anything written up anywhere? I'd love to have a reference without having to search your posts.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Well after almost twenty loving attempts I think I finally stumbled upon something that works. I still didn't beat my reserves but drew 1-1, made some alterations, and have now won my last four games with a 17-1 goal difference.

I have players out injured so a few are out of position but that's the general gist of it. I was having issues scoring with all my other tactics but playing with two shadow strikers has changed everything.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Well I think I might be on to something here. Won my first league game 6-0 against a promotion hopeful. Also had 62% possession and restricted them to no shots on target.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Read through the thread, and combining that with the fact that I'd led the league in goals scored and conceded (most) in the past two seasons, I somehow determined that maybe my tactic was a bit too aggressive. Going to try a more counter-attack style and see how this season goes. In retrospect this should have been obvious, as even with attacking instructions we usually scored on the break anyway. Might as well play with that in mind.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
The MLS is basically easy mode FM after one or two seasons. I'm basically selling two people every year for 8m+ while bringing in 3-4 random wonder kids and filling out most of the USMNT roster.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I just got my intake of 15 year olds playing as Los Angeles in the MLS...

How are all of them 4 gold star potential and 1 gold star ability already...

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
My brazillian AM has matured to the point where he plays these ridiculous first time backheel passes every single game. Sometimes, he holds up the ball and spins around JUST TO BACKHEEL. I mean, it works, but he's definitely trying way too hard and I hope opposition defenders kick him in the legs.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
More defensive tactic is a huge success so far. I also don't really understand this game anymore. Or at least, it seems like being 'balanced' as a player is way more important than min-maxing key attributes like in the past (I don't actually think this is true from reading about the match engine, but it's how it is working for me)

At least for some reason Will Grigg, he of 0 exceptional attributes, has 13 goals in 12 games to start the season, giving him 60 in 80ish games for me over the last 3 seasons. All while being valued at 1 million pounds and rated as a 'decent league 1 player' (I'm in the Championship) by my 16 JCA assman.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

hooman posted:

I just got my intake of 15 year olds playing as Los Angeles in the MLS...

How are all of them 4 gold star potential and 1 gold star ability already...

Because it's relative to the average talent in the league and MLS is regarded as a pretty low quality league in the game, so you can crush it prettty easily with scrubs from other leagues.

The draft doesn't help much since it floods in a lot of low quality talent and lowers the bar for everyone else, without actually raising the quality of the teams.

It's messed up but easily exploitable.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Telex posted:

Because it's relative to the average talent in the league and MLS is regarded as a pretty low quality league in the game, so you can crush it prettty easily with scrubs from other leagues.

The draft doesn't help much since it floods in a lot of low quality talent and lowers the bar for everyone else, without actually raising the quality of the teams.

It's messed up but easily exploitable.

For the MLS, the draft will give you excellent prospects for the top five picks and total trash elsewhere. Clubs though will sign and play those garbage players, so be smart, trade your picks, and sign cheap Brazilians and Argentinians.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Trading everything but your first draft pick for international spots is the way to go. Line up 9 Mexican and South American players each game, turn the league into easy mode. Also, keep an eye out for players that are signed to low wage contracts then put on the waivers. Sometimes you can get pretty great players this way. I'm also a big fan of selling my best players every other season or so in order to keep my wage under control. It's annoying because, well, that 21 year old Venezuelan is great (for the MLS), and 200 000 £ is way too low, but for the wages he wants you can take on three or four 19 year olds that can be just as good.

IMO. Sassasin probably has a better way of dominating the MLS.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't even load the mls.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

I don't even load the mls.

I have a hypothetical question. How does not loading a league affect player development and stuff? Like I've alway wanted to take over a Premier team and use it to farm and develop American regens in an effort to win the cup. If you don't load the mls would you get better or worse americans?

Do all American regens start in mls?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You'd still get the odd one at academies with American links but you want the mls loaded for volume and to have those clubs academy ratings generating decent prospects.

Mls youth training ratings are too high, so their 15 year old are far further along in ca than they should be. American researchers think their summer camps are more efficient than European clubs sorting through thousands of ten year old a year and pulling them out of school.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Shazback posted:

Trading everything but your first draft pick for international spots is the way to go. Line up 9 Mexican and South American players each game, turn the league into easy mode. Also, keep an eye out for players that are signed to low wage contracts then put on the waivers. Sometimes you can get pretty great players this way. I'm also a big fan of selling my best players every other season or so in order to keep my wage under control. It's annoying because, well, that 21 year old Venezuelan is great (for the MLS), and 200 000 £ is way too low, but for the wages he wants you can take on three or four 19 year olds that can be just as good.

IMO. Sassasin probably has a better way of dominating the MLS.

Yeah watching the waiver wire is key too, especially for positions like DM and fullback. By your 2nd or 3rd year, you should have a huge coaching staff too, relative to other MLS teams, so your youth will become very good very fast, and MLS teams will slowly drop in quality. MLS teams rely heavily on their DP signing, and some are too stupid to sign anyone worth a poo poo.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
2 and a half year unbeaten league run just came to an end when the other team had 0 shots on target. Own goal.

Selling the offender immediately.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

sassassin posted:

You'd still get the odd one at academies with American links but you want the mls loaded for volume and to have those clubs academy ratings generating decent prospects.

Mls youth training ratings are too high, so their 15 year old are far further along in ca than they should be. American researchers think their summer camps are more efficient than European clubs sorting through thousands of ten year old a year and pulling them out of school.

Based on youth vs higher level results it would probably be pretty realistic for American youth players to have high CA and low PA

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wait the academy ratings are relative to the league overall not to your first team?

I thought everything was given ratings relative to your first team?

EDIT: Who can sell Robbie Keane to so I don't have him squatting on a DP contract and 53k pounds a year while he warms my bench.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 25, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
loving hell, PSG just broke the record for most goals scored in a CL season in my game. In the first leg of the quarter finals.

I beat them in the qf's last season so I take a look at their team... and they bought 2 new strikers. One has scored 12 in 11 with 7 assists, the other has scored 16 in 11 with 8 assists.

I'm so hosed. Do oil barons ever die of old age? I'm 16 years into my game, he should be gone soon, right?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Nevermind, loving finally

My 2 best players

Maybe I can stop playing this game now. gently caress.

Not pictured: 2 invincible seasons, 75 league games without losing, won the league by 15+ points basically every season.

The winning first team: 4 Argentinians, 5 Brazilians, 1 Englishman, 1 Dutchman.

Would never have been possible without Instant Result, of course.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Finishing obviously doesn't matter when your player is a fast, composed giant.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

sassassin posted:

Finishing obviously doesn't matter when your player is a fast, composed giant.

I think his preferred move is what really takes it over the top combined with the ridiculous physical stats and height. My tactic has the fullbacks doing most of the crossing, so he's usually on the end of the crosses from the right. He gets more shots than my striker.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That preferred move doesn't really do anything unless you're playing him at full-back or defensive midfield. The vast majority of wide roles and duties pile into the box when the ball enters the final third. Either way it's just doing something you could instruct him to do anyway.

Preferred moves don't make a player any better or worse at doing things. They just override instructions.

High intelligence players with no preferred moves are the ideal, as they'll make the best choices with no bias, and follow orders. Failing that, low intelligence players with preferred moves that support their strengths.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

That preferred move doesn't really do anything unless you're playing him at full-back or defensive midfield. The vast majority of wide roles and duties pile into the box when the ball enters the final third. Either way it's just doing something you could instruct him to do anyway.

Preferred moves don't make a player any better or worse at doing things. They just override instructions.

High intelligence players with no preferred moves are the ideal, as they'll make the best choices with no bias, and follow orders. Failing that, low intelligence players with preferred moves that support their strengths.

Yeah except Places Shots on a striker is godly.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Please stop ruining my spreadsheet fanfiction

Next you're going to tell me my stalwart right winger who was made a club legend 2 years after he became a backup player only because he broke the club record for league appearances

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I love Dictates Tempo and Switches Ball To Other Flank, how would you instruct that.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

hooman posted:

EDIT: Who can sell Robbie Keane to so I don't have him squatting on a DP contract and 53k pounds a year while he warms my bench.

just waive him before the guaranteed contract date pre-season?

Someone else will claim him, he's off your books, everyone wins.

I doubt you can sell him to anyone, I've always had trouble getting DP's to agree to move elsewhere if they were underperforming their contract.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I love Dictates Tempo and Switches Ball To Other Flank, how would you instruct that.

Dictates Tempo is basically high creative freedom. It doesn't do much for the playmaker roles.

Switches Ball is long passing range and low mentality (so low directness) in a team with wide options available for the switch.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

Nevermind, loving finally

Maybe I can stop playing this game now. gently caress.

Not pictured: 2 invincible seasons, 75 league games without losing, won the league by 15+ points basically every season.

The winning first team: 4 Argentinians, 5 Brazilians, 1 Englishman, 1 Dutchman.

Would never have been possible without Instant Result, of course.

I like seeing stuff like this. I just FINALLY won the Club World Cup with NYCFC after years of trying. Eat poo poo Man United.

The winning first team: 5 Americans (GK + 3 CBs + DM), 1 Chilean, 1 Welshman, 2 Brazilians, 1 Argentinian

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Will Grigg has 40 goals in 36 league games and somehow I'm now 1st in goals and 5th worst in goals conceded despite completely changing my tactic to be far less aggressive. I would assume it was just a complete absence of quality from my defenders, but that doesn't explain why I'm still scoring so many goals.

What a game

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
How do player descriptions work? I remember seeing a thing some years ago about it that listed them all. IE: "Promising X" was X CA and X PA and Age <X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Does anyone have a good wingerless tactic? I've just started with Cagliari and they have one (poo poo) winger.