Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well, a few weeks ago I got passed up for Head Cashier. I'd been there five years, always have good metrics, late only once, never written up, anything. I've done the duties several times before, been trusted with the manager keys as well. I did my interview, apparently it went well, and all the head cashiers there mention I'm basically a shoe-in and they're wondering who the second opening will go to. Then I find out that I didn't get it, I wasn't a "good fit" for the position. Two new cashiers that had been here for two months got it. One of them I trained. Everyone in the store was livid. They went to management, everything. Earlier this week I was called into the office. The assistant manager told me that due to the vast amount of associates expressing their opinion at the choices made for the position, it was the right thing to give me an additional third spot as head cashier.

So, better late than never I guess :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I don't know what the gently caress I just witnessed.

We were slammed in the meat department. But all the customers were in a single file line that went about halfway across the store. Nobody was jockeying for a spot ahead. They were just waiting patiently.

I don't even know how to think right now

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Ragnarok 2016 is in full-swing. The roads aren't plowed. It's deathly still outside, save for the occasional rumble of a passing SUV. My town was like a great, frozen tomb when I went to work.

Aside from nearly fishtailing twice and being blinded by the dust coming off a jacked up hick wagon, the drive wasn't that bad.

The few co-workers that made it in were largely gathered around up front, not doing much of anything. When I came in they looked at me like the Indians must have looked at Columbus. I was congratulated for being stupid dedicated enough to drive through a blizzard.

I checked my schedule and saw that I have 12 hours next week. 18 the week after.

:shepface:

Aside from the snow, it was the best shift I ever worked. I was never called up front. I worked grocery. The shelves were so barren that I finished all of my work and got to go home an hour early.

Working retail is great when there's no one in the store.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I don't know what the gently caress I just witnessed.

We were slammed in the meat department. But all the customers were in a single file line that went about halfway across the store. Nobody was jockeying for a spot ahead. They were just waiting patiently.

Are you sure you were still in Boston?

Are you OK?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Are you sure you were still in Boston?

Are you OK?

i don't know. My entire understanding of the world is unraveling. The store leader even came up to me as I was leaving for the day and was like "What the gently caress was going on there? Nobody was rushing the meat counter. They just formed a line and waited. I don't understand!"

creatine fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 23, 2016

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Ugg, all this talk about Broncos and people rushing meat counter just gave me major depression. I don't watch football, but apparently Cardinals are playing either tomorrow or Sunday. Here in southern Arizona it's going to be in the low 70s, so every poo poo head is going to be grilling in this really nice weather which means we're going to get slammed all weekend. It's good that we're a low volume store, but bad because our clientele consists of lazy and picky old bastards. Hopefully Cardinals will lose this round so I won't have to hear about it come Superbowl. I hate football so much. I verbally state this fact when people try to talk to me about it, but they still won't :STFU: about it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

My roads are not plowed today but I ended up switching with the GM for the day anyway so she's there now. I feel bad but there's literally no way I could go in while she was able to take the train. There's a foot and a half of snow outside the theater and she sold 3 tickets so far, including popcorn to a man who crashed his car in the snow trying to park. And corporate will not let her close.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The snow wasn't too bad yesterday. Roads were not plowed, but you could drive as long as you were cautious. The lot was empty. There were 6 regular employees in the store, and 4 managers. I saw maybe twelve customers in four hours.

Today the snow is standing two feet deep, and it's still coming down strong. I just spent an hour digging out the cars. The roads are unplowed. I can't go anywhere. The snow isn't supposed to stop until tomorrow morning.

I called the store to tell them I couldn't make it and people were loving there. :stare:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Thankfully my boss called and told me not to come in yesterday or today. There's 18 inches of undisturbed snow covering the unplowed roads in my neighborhood, so it's not like I could go if I wanted to.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The GM called and told me that the snowplows pushed the snow off the road onto the sidewalk and blocked the front doors of our building shut so she said "gently caress this, it's unsafe" and shut down early. There has been no official word that we should close but gently caress it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Despite being told in writing that I would be off sales by this week, I am working two solo weekend shifts and covering another store on Tuesday. I also have weekends scheduled for the next two weeks. I'm now one level higher than the sales managers on the org chart, but they get weekends off? gently caress that. I shouldn't even be working sales.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Looks like Denver's got the AFC locked.

Extended store hours, here we go :smith:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Around Christmas, just before I caught pneumonia, I asked the store manager when I might hear about my promotion. I was told "We'll see about moving you after Christmas." I haven't asked since then. I've been patient. I've been good.

Today, while cleaning the offices, I noticed a name badge in the trash. I picked it out to glance at it and saw it had the grocery manager's name on it.

The manager that offered me the promotion.

I stepped into the next office and asked the third in command if the grocery manager was no longer with us. She confirmed.

Words cannot accurately describe the litany of mental profanity which followed. I asked where that left me and I was told, "It's still up to the store manager."

After I finished pulling trash for the rest of the store, I dragged my trash cart into the back and found a loving shrine to broke-dickedness.

One exceptional individual had filled the trash compactor up to the brim with garbage. Another outstanding member of our retail team had dropped a pallet of toilet paper so loving close to the control panel that the emergency stop button was jammed down.

:downsbravo:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Nerdy, you need to quit that job in an exceedingly dramatic fashion. Please. It hurts my soul that you are still working in that shithole.

Up here above the Mason-Dixon line in beautiful sunny Pittsburgh, we got 4-6" of snow on Friday night and only a dusting since. Our roads are plowed, salted and mostly dry. Life continues as normal. The day after the "blizzard" was a nice slow day in flooring, but we were pretty well cleaned out of shovels and went through a dozen pallets of salt. And I know it'll be busy when I go back tomorrow. Sigh.

I did have a really nice day off, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And my store's been mostly quiet since about seven, our normal closing time. The district manager called, was told that there had been less than ten customers in the last hour, and we got the okay to close at 8:30 insfead of 10:00. Still opening at six in the morning on Monday for the next shipment of Broncos stuff.

I hope no one comes in to shop. I don't work again until Thursday, but ai hope the place was empty and that corporate loses money by making a bunch of stores in Denver open early for hardly any sales.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Oh boy it's reset time! I can't wait until next month where they'll have a reset to redo the reset that we just did this month! :suicide:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Working retail is great when there's no one in the store.

This. It's the off season here so we get so few people in the store. It looks amazing. It's so clean and we don't even have to try hard, it's so relaxing and chill. If I'm in our little store I can work on homework. I love it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Tonight, I saw something that made me smile. I saw something that filled my heart with joy. I saw a beautiful discussion of US politics.

Things got slow on the front end, which meant it was time for talk. Someone brought up politics. I listened in as I walked around picking up trash, not really voicing an opinion one way or another. Most of the younger kids were more informed and interested than I thought they would be. It was just a touch inspiring to see high school kids that gave a poo poo.

Then someone said something about Obama.

Fucker, who had been orbiting the conversation, took it as a sign to jump in. He declared that Obama had, "Eroded the more-ale fab-brick of are country."

You know that scene from the start of The Lion King, the one where all the animals lift their heads and run to answer the call? That's how the front end reacted to his dog whistle. I have never seen someone get shut the gently caress down so fast. :allears:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You know that scene from the start of The Lion King, the one where all the animals lift their heads and run to answer the call? That's how the front end reacted to his dog whistle. I have never seen someone get shut the gently caress down so fast. :allears:
I feel like this is a very appropriate clip to post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bqEn8AXzJ4

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Someone let a counterfeit US 20$ through our store the other night. It was clearly fake! It was clearly printed by an inkjet printer! It had loving jpeg compression! Twenty dollars might not be a lot in the greater scheme of things but apparently the chucklehead just got caught yesterday with several thousand dollars in fake money, because the other stores he went to weren't stupid and called the cops on his rear end.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm sure in the past I talked about having to work till 10 pm then promptly having to come in 6 am the next day right? Well I've managed to swap schedules with the guy working night shift a few times. I got called into the office today and told to stop doing that, because "when we set the schedule thats how we want it set. Sometimes you're going to have to work nights then days. We all have to do it."

What. Its not like I'm calling out, its not like I'm twisting the arm of the guy I'm changing schedules with! All that changes is that someone else's face is around in the morning! The guy I change schedules with even told the guy doing scheduling that he prefers working mornings! There is nothing being lost here except I don't have to deal with the stress of promptly coming home and immediately sleeping to get an at best 6 and a half hour sleep, then wake up early enough to shower, eat breakfast and get back to work! And thats not counting the loss of sleep from me constantly waking up freaking out if I didn't wake up on time.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Went into work today.

Clocked in. Realized I forgot my name badge. Cursed. Ran up the stairs to ask HR for another, and got stopped halfway up by the front end manager. She loomed above me from the landing, three times my size and tilting forward. I couldn't help but think 'If she falls on me, I'm dead.'

"Corporate is coming in later. Store manager needs you to clean the bathrooms reaaaaal good."

"Okay."

"He said there's pee stains all over the floor near the toilets, especially in the men's room."

I considered suggesting that we add bathroom marksmanship to the computer training modules. Decide against. "Uh-huh. You know, most of the tile in the bathroom is older than I am. I can only get things so clean."

"Try your best. Thanks, sweetie."

HR's office was packed with five fresh bodies for the meatgrinder. Most of them were high school kids, but two of them were like me; someone in the middle of their life with more bills than skills and nowhere else to go. Was one of them taking the grocery position I wanted?

The bathrooms were a mess, a loving mess. I checked the logs. They hadn't been cleaned thoroughly in about a week. Fucker had been neglecting them. No surprise. I'd seen him walk by, sign the logs, and walk off without ever stepping into them.

Someone left a big brush on a swivel stick in the janitor's closet, the kind one might use to scrub out a freezer unit. Applying the logic that anything in my closet must be the janitor's equipment by default, I stole claimed it and headed off, towing my janitor cart behind me.

The men's room wasn't so bad, aside from one faint cum stain. It was pale and flaky like milk left to dry on the inside of a pan. I pretended not to notice. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot brush.

I found myself asking a lot of questions as I worked on the ladies' room. How was there more piss and dirt on the floor around the women's toilets? Why was there blood on the wall? Who the gently caress left bloody tissues on the loving floor?

In the customer's bathroom, someone had carved 'SIEG HEIL VIKTORI' on the toilet paper dispenser. It was such a fitting place for Nazi ideology that I thought of leaving it there, but I decided corporate would frown upon competing forms of fascism. I scraped it off with my box cutter.

When I was done, I spent the last 2 hours of a 4 hour shift on the front end. It was worse.

Leal posted:

"when we set the schedule thats how we want it set. Sometimes you're going to have to work nights then days. We all have to do it."

There are a few reasons why this happens.

1. Managers are fearful, petty creatures, forever living in terror of the day when their tenuous grip on power slips free of their greasy palms and escapes into the ether. They rule with an iron fist.

2. Idiot 1 got into a screaming contest with idiot 2 over a shift swap and they resolved the tantrum by saying nobody could have it.

3. People would swap shifts, fail to show up, and create a shitload of headaches when management tried to figure out who was at fault and who they could call in to cover what hours.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 28, 2016

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Firing people sucks.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
A slobbering pale hellbeast came into the shop today. Ensconced in a blue cotton tube, she waddled past vodkas and whiskey and gin. Looking past the stacks, she spotted me.

"WHERE THE HELL IS THE VODKA?", she screeched in an unholy decibel. "Turn 180 degrees", I said sighing internally. This is a constant battle with the lower demons. Their internal compasses are terrible and they don't have clearance enough to get them calibrated at what I presume is some sort of smelly hellbound medical clinic. Prize spotted, she snatched it up with a flash of triumph, as though some sort of award awaited her upon completion.

"This bottle says $12.99 I thought?" she said, confused in reply to my quoting of the price after taxes. I find that the lower spawn of the lesser realms of the horrid undead tend to have roughly the braincells of a turnip. Complex maths, direction, and civility is beyond them. She hands me a card and I put it in the machine.

Eyes rolling. "THE CHIP IS SO GODDAMN SLOW, AM I RIGHT?!" she screeches again, rotting breath wafting against my face. Fresh ceramics cover what undoubtedly was once brutal brown nubbins of teeth, but this hell-demon has somehow secured quality dental in some menial office job shuffling the serial identification codes of the damned. The machine chirps twice and spits out a short reciept with bold block letters: DECLINED. My heart rate climbs. Is she going to gouge out my eyes? Are these my last moments, ensconced forever in a perpetual retail machine trying to corral the greasy tentacled monsters from beyond?

"I'm sorry ma'am, your card has been declined." Her eyes narrow, I can see her gauging up the chances of getting away with murder. She throws the card back at me. "Try it again," she spits with disdain. Complying, hoping that she won't get any bright ideas like sucking out my eyeballs I shove it back into the reader. Again to my complete lack of surprise it spits out another DECLINED notification. She grabs her phone, ichor covered palms clutching for grip. "HERE IS MY BANK ACCOUNT STATEMENT, WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING?" she utters, barely retrained intent palpable in her clammy breath.

"Sorry but I don't control the machine, I'm just a register monkey."

She huffs, seemingly mollified. The red hate in her eyes dulls a bit and the knotting tension in my shoulders eases slightly. This is always a tricky situation because this particular lower level of the nether-realms happens to have terrible money habits, but they know that if enough Kain is raised then my tanned hide will soon be decorating her parlour at the behest of that twat of a sniveling middle manager, Gary. I suspect that he enjoys having demonic tentacles rammed up his distended rear end in a top hat. Rumor has it his college days were rather wild and videos can be found on the Dark-Web. But it also could be that he's a spineless oval office.

She dumps out her purse, an expansive handbag hewn from the flesh of baby crocodiles. Cosmetics to hide boils scatter everywhere with a clatter. As I scramble to contain the flood of tissues, baby wipes, and other detritus she grabs another card and throws it at my head. "That one should work!!" she says, the underlying tone being that if it does not then my pitiful life is worth zilch. I know that, corporate sent out a news letter saying that front lint cashiers are not eligible for cranial backup under the new health plan.

I insert the card, hoping this single ordeal in the long stream of similar deadly interactions will come to a close without my organs splattered across the wall of pint bottles behind me. I wait and she stares as palpable tension mounts to the point at which the air could be slashed apart with a bloody knife. The card reader chirps once. Thank what few paltry gods who cast a benign eye upon retail workers, the card did not get declined. She snatches her bottle after signing and glares at me with utmost contempt. In the calm before the inevitable meltdown I notice her eye veins are pulsating with an inner radiant glow. Faintly I worry if I've managed to annoy an B-level corporate demon.

"I'll deal with you yet, boy," she hisses. I'm almost thirty and regret my life decisions every day which have led me on this path of retail life. In another hour, she will call the store and berate another employee because there was nothing wrong with her account. I'm just glad that I escaped without having my soul sucked out of my nose.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 29, 2016

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
My boss decided to tell me yesterday--about 10 and a half days into my two weeks notice, and after he had scheduled me to work seven 9-hour shifts in a row (salaried, so no overtime)--that he was the reason I hadn't been promoted. I'm pretty sure he meant it as a teaching moment or something, but what he was "teaching" was that I hadn't opened my mouth wide enough when he was trying to poo poo in it, so he told the higher ups that I wasn't fit for the position.

I made it incredibly clear to him how much what he said pissed me off and then I wandered around and did my job and just loving fumed at him for 2 hours. I gave him 2 full loving hours to explain himself or apologize or really do or say anything, while it was just us in the store. He didn't.

I have never walked out on a job before and I didn't intend to walk out on this one, but holy poo poo. Left my keys on the office desk and said to him "my keys are on the desk, I'm leaving" and he just ignored me so I left.

So I guess I get a four day weekend. Go me.

I start my new job on Monday and it's probably gonna be the same loving job. Whatever, at least it's a different boss.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I've been pleasant and nice to retail people for a long time now, thanks to this thread. I taught my kids to be that way, too. I hope that's some consolation to you guys.

Also, the people I'm nice to fix me up with a free coffee now and again.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

dee eight posted:

I've been pleasant and nice to retail people for a long time now, thanks to this thread. I taught my kids to be that way, too. I hope that's some consolation to you guys.

It is much appreciated.

Also it's really hilarious that people think that being gigantic assholes will get them preferential treatment when it's the opposite that's true. The nicer someone is to me, the more I'm willing to go out of my way and/or break the rules to make their day. Kindness pays. It's also just good in general to be nice to people, no reward needed.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm loving bored every drat shift and all I want is more labor to keep myself occupied. There's just not enough cleaning to do on most days. I keep asking for more responsibility and more work, not more money- just more work, and management keeps stonewalling me.

It's gotten to the point where I've been asking for a transfer to any department. Meat? Sure. Bakery? gently caress it. Stick me in the deli and I'll cook chickens all day. I don't give a drat. Just give me something to do. We have enough turnover that I know they could do it, they just don't want to for whatever dumb reason.

Here's the thing that kills me: I know people that work in grocery. I talked to them. There's a number of people on the current crew that just can't complete even the most basic work, but management refuses to coach or fire them. Then management wonders why the back of the store is always clogged and hosed.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a food industry job just because there's always something to do in a kitchen and I wouldn't have to deal with customers anymore.

dee eight posted:

Thanks. People generally should, not just with retail, but with any service industry workers. Even if you don't like being nice to other people, they're more motivated to help you if you aren't an rear end in a top hat.

I never understood people that gently caress with service industry people they have to deal with, especially waiters. They will gently caress with you back.

devin2 posted:

I made it incredibly clear to him how much what he said pissed me off and then I wandered around and did my job and just loving fumed at him for 2 hours. I gave him 2 full loving hours to explain himself or apologize or really do or say anything, while it was just us in the store. He didn't.

Your manager sounds like a gutless dick who's too chickenshit to be honest with you- or the reason he doesn't like you is something that would get him in trouble.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm loving bored every drat shift and all I want is more labor to keep myself occupied. There's just not enough cleaning to do on most days. I keep asking for more responsibility and more work, not more money- just more work, and management keeps stonewalling me.

It's gotten to the point where I've been asking for a transfer to any department. Meat? Sure. Bakery? gently caress it. Stick me in the deli and I'll cook chickens all day. I don't give a drat. Just give me something to do. We have enough turnover that I know they could do it, they just don't want to for whatever dumb reason.

Here's the thing that kills me: I know people that work in grocery. I talked to them. There's a number of people on the current crew that just can't complete even the most basic work, but management refuses to coach or fire them. Then management wonders why the back of the store is always clogged and hosed.

You are either the only person willing to do the custodial work or you are too good at it. Retail promotions are literally "This guy is no good at this, let's try giving him more responsibility and see if it changes"

Congrats on being an unpromotably good worker :thumbsup:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hello thread!

I work in a large Danish supermarket chain. This monday a customer started punching me because I told him he couldn't exit via the entrace :eng99:

Had me thinking if there still was a retail chain, and lo and behold! There is!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its always fun trying to help a customer who can't speak any English, especially when they try to have their child translate but apparently their child can't speak good English either. They asked me for "Yellow cheese." so I said "Well dairy is over there, all kinds of yellow cheese." Then "No, the kind in a can." I was standing next to those aerosol-like cans of cheese you squeeze onto crackers and asked if that was it, no that wasn't it either. Then some people who could translate came over and talked to them. What did they want? What kind of yellow, canned cheese did they want? Nacho cheese

NACHO IN SPANISH IS ALSO NACHO IN ENGLISH :shepface:

Rhythmancer
Jun 5, 2004
Mr. Saturn
The other day I had some old lady try to hand me a five dollar check from a local hospital endorsed to her as part of her payment. When I told her we couldn't accept it, she protested, saying she even signed the back of it and that the hospital was good for it. She didn't say another word to me after I told her the check had to be endorsed to my company and she gave me the stink-eye when I wished her a good day after the transaction was complete. I'm still not sure if she was really dumb or if she thought I was.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I never understood people that gently caress with service industry people they have to deal with, especially waiters. They will gently caress with you back.

Nothing will make me test the limits of how bad I can pretend to be at pushing the correct buttons on a register like someone complaining that I am taking too long because the people in front of them had too many goddamn fiddly coupons or such.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Today was my last day at Sports Authority.

No more inconsistent shifts. No more "clopening". No more dickhead customers hunting for bargains and being pissed off that I can't charge back their purchases on their credit cards for returns when they don't have a receipt for a return. No more screaming kids. No more Broncos bullshit.

So long, Shits Authority.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

NACHO IN SPANISH IS ALSO NACHO IN ENGLISH :shepface:

That reminds me of an exchange I had the other day, only my customer was a native English speaker.

:geno: : "Hi. Help you with something?"
:) : "Yes! I'm, um, looking for some dough."
:geno: : "Well, we've got the canned stuff in dairy, and some frozen stuff over on aisle 4."
:) : "No, I mean... cooked dough."
:raise: : "... Bread?"

After a few more minutes of playing 25,000 Pyramid with her, I figured out she was looking for pizza crusts.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That reminds me of an exchange I had the other day, only my customer was a native English speaker.

:geno: : "Hi. Help you with something?"
:) : "Yes! I'm, um, looking for some dough."
:geno: : "Well, we've got the canned stuff in dairy, and some frozen stuff over on aisle 4."
:) : "No, I mean... cooked dough."
:raise: : "... Bread?"

After a few more minutes of playing 25,000 Pyramid with her, I figured out she was looking for pizza crusts.

"No no... the other dough. The kind that's really round and is used for those round things you cook with stuff on them. You know, the things! They are round... Things! You know what I'm talking about! Stop pretending you dont!"

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Every single time I have to tell someone that they can remove the card from the chip reader while they blankly gawk at the pin pad, I die a little bit.

You're looking right at it, it says "approved! please remove your card" and it's beeping at you. Why do you have to do this? :cripes:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I was in a print shop today when That Lady came in. You know the one. Behind her came a well henpecked husband, and their toddler granddaughter, who needed a diaper change and kept pulling at her pants to indicate so. But the Lady had no time for that, for she needed a copy!

I was at one of the self-serve machines near the main desk so I got to hear it all. That Lady offered the employee a paper print copy of a photo that was, at best, taken in the 80's. A copy of a copy that is already faded from the start, but the employee ran off two new copies, one on gloss paper and one on standard to let the lady see the difference. Customer picks the one she likes best, then starts the Whine. About the price, about the fact the yellow shirt in the copy isn't as bright as in the original, you'd think for the price it would be perfect, and remember before a big business bought your store out, how prices were decent and workers were happy and gave discounts all the time and the copier made perfect copies?

She kept badgering the poor employee if she had worked there before the buyout. Finally the employee said she had, and that the purchase was over ten years ago, now which picture did she want? Customer fusses a bit more about how great things were back when she could get the same size copy for half the price, if not a dollar, a loving decade ago, then demanded a thick envelope so the copy wouldn't get bent, because TEN YEARS AGO YOU HAD THESE NICE ENVELOPES SO NOTHING GOT BENT BUT THIS WAY YOU CAN CHARGE ME FOR ANOTHER COPY, and finally accepted a paper bag.

Imagine that. Ten years ago things were cheaper! And by Jim I remember when you could go to the movies for a dollar! And soda was fifty cents a can! And no one had these horrible cell phone tech things, people talked to each other and payphones! And people were respectful and there was no sass!

And I never ever ever loving understand the dumb fucks who have a hand-basket full of poo poo, and just drop the basket on the cashier's checkout belt. Like, you can't take the items out yourself, you have to make the cashier do it for....reasons?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cowslips Warren posted:

And I never ever ever loving understand the dumb fucks who have a hand-basket full of poo poo, and just drop the basket on the cashier's checkout belt. Like, you can't take the items out yourself, you have to make the cashier do it for....reasons?

Hey, they're paying you to WORK so you'd better loving WORK and appreciate every drat second of it, you ungrateful twit!

I used to work at Arby's and people would encourage their children to leave all their trash and trays on the table because the staff was paid to clean it up for them. I couldn't imagine leaving a mess like that for someone else, because I'm not an entitled lazy slobby pig.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PenguinKnight posted:

Every single time I have to tell someone that they can remove the card from the chip reader while they blankly gawk at the pin pad, I die a little bit.

You're looking right at it, it says "approved! please remove your card" and it's beeping at you. Why do you have to do this? :cripes:

It's beeping so loud, too - you should realize that this has something to do with your card! :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

PenguinKnight posted:

There's a card machine at the kiosk of my local supermarket that is a few seconds behind what (I assume) the employee is looking at on her till.

Last week she said "that's fine, take your card out" while on screen it was still showing processing. There was then 5 awkward seconds of silence before it eventually changed to "Remove your card"