Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Anne Whateley posted:

Which steak will hit 140° faster, one in a 140° environment or a 200° environment?

(For higher oven vs. lower sous vide, the heat transfer of air vs. water would counteract that, but I don't know to what degree.)

You're still talking about *5 hours* or so to reverse-sear a big chunk of prime rib and get the interior up to 125 or so. If there's contamination that's going to make you sick, that's plenty long enough.

It's a big thick single hunk of meat, not pre-frozen ground beef. It's surface contamination you should be concerned with, and if you're concerned about something more than that, you should be cooking it to well-doneness anyway, and if you're doing that you shouldn't be buying a prime rib roast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

You're still talking about *5 hours* or so to reverse-sear a big chunk of prime rib and get the interior up to 125 or so. If there's contamination that's going to make you sick, that's plenty long enough.

It's a big thick single hunk of meat, not pre-frozen ground beef. It's surface contamination you should be concerned with, and if you're concerned about something more than that, you should be cooking it to well-doneness anyway, and if you're doing that you shouldn't be buying a prime rib roast.

If surface contamination is the risk, then you're talking about an environment (170 or so) where most food pathogens have a 7-log reduction immediately, versus a temp (128) which is still in the danger zone.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Phanatic posted:

It's surface contamination you should be concerned with, and if you're concerned about something more than that, you should be cooking it to well-doneness anyway, and if you're doing that you shouldn't be buying a prime rib roast.

And even then, a quick dip in boiling water would probably take care of any surface bacteria. Though I've never bothered doing that for oven roasts and, as mentioned, they take forever to warm up.

Come to think of it, the best argument for sous vide would be to carve the ribs out and sous vide that first for 72 hours, since ribs could actually benefit much more from a longer cooking time than the roast itself.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just joined the sous vide train and loving it. :stwoon:

Was curious what goons experience with this <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Sealer-Food-Preservation-Sous/dp/B014EJQ9UM/?tag=serieats-20">one</a> (as recommended by Kenji). Worth it? Is there a better one out there that I should be looking to acquire?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just use the $50 (on sale) foodsaver and order large cheap rolls.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V2244-Vacuum-Sealing-System/dp/B0044XDA3S
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI3IQAW

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If surface contamination is the risk, then you're talking about an environment (170 or so) where most food pathogens have a 7-log reduction immediately, versus a temp (128) which is still in the danger zone.

If that's the case, though, does everyone dip their short ribs in boiling water before 48-72 hour cooks? I never have, and it's been fine. Unless there's a huge difference between 128 and 133 or whatever the modernist recipe recommends?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

a foolish pianist posted:

If that's the case, though, does everyone dip their short ribs in boiling water before 48-72 hour cooks? I never have, and it's been fine. Unless there's a huge difference between 128 and 133 or whatever the modernist recipe recommends?

I don't think its widespread but I'm sure I've read of that proposed as a way to reduce the weird exterior color and possible funky flavors in super long cook.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

a foolish pianist posted:

There is; bacteria start dying around 129-131 degrees.

Jan posted:

And even then, a quick dip in boiling water would probably take care of any surface bacteria. Though I've never bothered doing that for oven roasts and, as mentioned, they take forever to warm up.

The problem is, boiling the surface will not destroy botulinum spores. Doesn't matter when oven cooking, but it is a problem in a vacuum bag at 128 degrees.

That said, I've done a couple prime ribs without dying. But IIRC I did them at 135.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
N/m wrong thread

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Choadmaster posted:

There is; bacteria start dying around 129-131 degrees.
The problem is, boiling the surface will not destroy botulinum spores.

How is that a problem? Botulinum can only sporulate in an anaerobic environment. It can only produce the botulinum toxin when it sporulates. The surface of your short ribs has never been an anaerobic environment, so it's exceedingly unlikely that there are any botulinum spores there, and it's also exceedingly unlikely that the interior of your short ribs has any c. botulinum hiding in it. Seriously, botulism is way, way, way down the list of foodborne illnesses. There are only about 150 cases per year in the entire US, and of those well over half are either infant botulism or from clostridium getting into wounds, only about 20 of those 150 cases are from food, and I'd be surprised if fewer than 18 of *those* didn't involve canning.

quote:

That said, I've done a couple prime ribs without dying. But IIRC I did them at 135.

I did short ribs with the Modernist Cuisine recommendation of 144 for 72 hours. I'd been planning to dunk them in boiling water first, but I just plumb forgot. No off flavors or smells and they turned out to be loving amazing, but I'd still probably dunk them in the future just because of the reports from others of that happening.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Phanatic posted:

How is that a problem? Botulinum can only sporulate in an anaerobic environment. It can only produce the botulinum toxin when it sporulates. The surface of your short ribs has never been an anaerobic environment, so it's exceedingly unlikely that there are any botulinum spores there, and it's also exceedingly unlikely that the interior of your short ribs has any c. botulinum hiding in it. Seriously, botulism is way, way, way down the list of foodborne illnesses. There are only about 150 cases per year in the entire US, and of those well over half are either infant botulism or from clostridium getting into wounds, only about 20 of those 150 cases are from food, and I'd be surprised if fewer than 18 of *those* didn't involve canning.

Botulinum spores are *everywhere*. Floating all around you in the air, in the dust on your desk, and quite possibly on the surface of your short ribs. Boiling won't destroy them, and sous vide by its very nature creates an anaerobic environment, just like canning. This is very different from most cooking processes. This means that, just like canning, botulinum is a reasonable concern when cooking sous vide. You shouldn't let your food is sit in a sub-130 degree bath for more than a few hours. That's hardly controversial advice.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 22, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Either way, it's going to be pretty obvious when you have active bacteria of any sort in your meat bag, because it will puff up with air.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to pick up a sous vide IC when my refund comes in. Is the Anova the go to IC to get right now?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, if you can get the older anova for a discount that would be good too

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What's the generally accepted torch to go with a searzall?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

What's the generally accepted torch to go with a searzall?

It's only designed to work with a TS8000 torch head and a 16.4oz propane tank.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bernzomatic TS8000

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Hello do you have a minute to talk about the church of TS8000 and how to let propane into your life?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deimos posted:

Hello do you have a minute to talk about the church of TS8000 and how to let propane into your life?

"Get away from me, I just need a few things at this home depot, why are you even here"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I sell sous vide, and sous vide accessories.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I'm a big dumb dumb when it comes to cuts of meat. I have a boneless pork loin roast here but I'm not sure what part of the loin it comes from. Does it matter when it comes to sous vide? I'm assuming I don't treat this as a chop. Anyone got a time/temp? It's 2" thick.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DARPA Dad posted:

I'm a big dumb dumb when it comes to cuts of meat. I have a boneless pork loin roast here but I'm not sure what part of the loin it comes from. Does it matter when it comes to sous vide? I'm assuming I don't treat this as a chop. Anyone got a time/temp? It's 2" thick.

Yeah, it's a thick chop basically. 65C for 90 mins is what I would do, I think.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, it's a thick chop basically. 65C for 90 mins is what I would do, I think.

2" requires 2hr @ 65 to pasteurize...

Personally I'd do 2:30 @ 60 if I was in a hurry or 5hr @ 55 if not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oop, yeah, that's better!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
So I'm veeding some corned beef I brined for 9 days. 48 hours at 140F. Can't wait until tomorrow.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dutchbstrd posted:

So I'm veeding some corned beef I brined for 9 days. 48 hours at 140F. Can't wait until tomorrow.

If it's anything like what I used/made when it's on sale after St. Patty's day it'll be amazing.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Can I puddle stuff in my Dutch Oven? It's enameled cast iron. I know cast iron skillets don't like water but what about the Dutch Oven?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DARPA Dad posted:

Can I puddle stuff in my Dutch Oven? It's enameled cast iron. I know cast iron skillets don't like water but what about the Dutch Oven?

Sure but why? Get something that will hold in heat rather than radiating all over the place.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I thought it would hold in heat :blush:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It holds heat well enough when you have the stove gas burners on. When you're talking about heating up a pot using a handheld heater, it's a different matter.

Personally I'd be more worried about the exposed cast iron edges being near humidity

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The dutch oven will be destroyed.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Okay, thanks guys for saving me from doing something horrible

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DARPA Dad posted:

Okay, thanks guys for saving me from doing something horrible

Just go down to Walmart and get a $10 beer cooler, cut a hole in the lid. Done.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Steve Yun posted:

Personally I'd be more worried about the exposed cast iron edges being near humidity

Most of those aren't actually exposed cast iron, just a different color/type of enamel.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay in that case cast iron should be okay. I think plastic is better since it will radiate less heat and therefore require less electricity but several people use metal pots for sous vide and they get along fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cast iron also has the advantage that the temp won't drop as much when you put the food in.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Plinkey posted:

If it's anything like what I used/made when it's on sale after St. Patty's day it'll be amazing.

Yep. It was incredible. Totally worth it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The heart capacity of iron is far below that of water. Nope.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You'd be better off with a similar mass of lexan than iron if it was only mass heat capacities that mattered. It's more useful to have the container less thermally conductive and have lower emissivity. Plastics are the way to go. Get your heat stability from fancy electronics and more water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dutchbstrd posted:

Yep. It was incredible. Totally worth it.

Time for left overs Rubens.