Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Safety Factor posted:

You're wrong. :colbert: What kind of monster gets that ending?
I played through the 2 good endings first and tried out the bad ending last and I sat there speechless wishing that I had ended up with it. It's brilliant and also actually playing through it instead of reading about it makes an enormous difference (I even knew what's coming before I played through it).

It is the best ending with the best writing and direction from the three, it fits the universe the most too. I absolutely love it and feel like it's up there with the best endings in gaming. The dialogue with last Crone during the fight and how that last shot is composed and directed is genius. Sure the other 2 endings are happier but they don't push the typical ending formula in the medium and don't have nearly as much impact.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Been hearing some mixed talk about the newest patch, 1.12, and it maybe causing more issues than it solves. What's the consensus? Is it worth installing and going through the rigmarole of getting mods to work with a new patch, or is it better to stick with 1.11?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If it wasn't behind having to be a bad dad everyone should, it's a great ending for Geralt's story.

Palpek posted:

I played through the 2 good endings first and tried out the bad ending last and I sat there speechless wishing that I had ended up with it. It's brilliant and also actually playing through it instead of reading about it makes an enormous difference (I even knew what's coming before I played through it).

It is the best ending with the best writing and direction from the three, it fits the universe the most too. I absolutely love it and feel like it's up there with the best endings in gaming. The dialogue with last Crone during the fight and how that last shot is composed and directed is genius. Sure the other 2 endings are happier but they don't push the typical ending formula in the medium and don't have nearly as much impact.

That may be, but it would involve being such a bad dad that I'll never get that ending. In my game Ciri became empress of Nilfgaard and the epilogue involved one last hunt with Geralt. It felt fitting and was still somewhat bittersweet.

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/ Really? I had the important part covered.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 23, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Safety Factor posted:

That may be, but it would involve being such a bad dad that I'll never get that ending. In my game Ciri became empress of Nilfgaard and the epilogue involved one last hunt with Geralt. It felt fitting and was still somewhat bittersweet.

Might want to spoiler what changes the endings there, a few people have just mentioned they've just picked up the game.

e:^^^ I don't know, I wouldn't have wanted to know that. Not a big deal.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 23, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Might want to spoiler what changes the endings there, a few people have just mentioned they've just picked up the game.

The game's been out for nearly a year.

What I am saying is, the bandwagon jumping whoresons can go plough themselves. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the bad ending because it doesn't feel as unnatural as the "well you screwed up, now everything is hosed forever" as standard bad endings do in a lot of games. It felt like a natural extension of the choices I made- choices that were not the usual "I'm gonna be a BAD PERSON and everyone else should act like me!!" as what usually nets you the 'bad ending'. It didn't really feel like The Bad Ending(tm), just another ending.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

CJacobs posted:

I like the bad ending because it doesn't feel as unnatural as the "well you screwed up, now everything is hosed forever" as standard bad endings do in a lot of games. It felt like a natural extension of the choices I made- choices that were not the usual "I'm gonna be a BAD PERSON and everyone else should act like me!!" as what usually nets you the 'bad ending'. It didn't really feel like The Bad Ending(tm), just another ending.

Likely because there is no morality system in the game, just choices. Choices are bad or good not because of moral stand point but because of an outcome and that changes the entire approach to the game and the story, it also means that only the player can decided if they are being Good or Evil instead of having the game tell you "You done something angelic now good boy".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And really, the events that net you the bad ending (without spoiling anything) aren't really even tied to Is Your Geralt A Good Or Bad Person, which I also liked.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
in Cyberpunk if you start a character with a low Intellect score they should deliver all their dialogue in trollspeak

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My complaint about the Wticher is that there isn't a purpose for exploring as far as gear is concerned. You are pretty much only looking for recipies. It's also annoying that all merchants have the same wares so once you buy that area's recipies, there is no reason to check the merchants again. Additionally what's the point of abandoned sites? You kill the monsters but you don't really unlock anything unique, there is a merchant who is 100% identical to every other merchant you met.

And the witcher gear is so much better then all the other gear that I really wonder what the point of all the other blacksmith plans is. I mean I guess getting them is fun from a completionist perspective, but it would be cool to make them actually worth using.

Anyway still a fun game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Abandoned sites set up fast travel spots once you clear them, which is what I mainly used them for.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Powercrazy posted:

My complaint about the Wticher is that there isn't a purpose for exploring as far as gear is concerned. You are pretty much only looking for recipies. It's also annoying that all merchants have the same wares so once you buy that area's recipies, there is no reason to check the merchants again. Additionally what's the point of abandoned sites? You kill the monsters but you don't really unlock anything unique, there is a merchant who is 100% identical to every other merchant you met.

And the witcher gear is so much better then all the other gear that I really wonder what the point of all the other blacksmith plans is. I mean I guess getting them is fun from a completionist perspective, but it would be cool to make them actually worth using.

Anyway still a fun game.

It takes effort to look for Witcher gear, so the other gear is there for people more story focused than world exploration focused.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Abandoned sites set up fast travel spots once you clear them, which is what I mainly used them for.

There's also a loose narrative point in that you feel like you're reclaiming spaces for villagers. It's just a small thing that tries to give you a sense of a living, breathing world - how effective this is is of course up to the player but I liked it

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

WirelessPillow posted:

It takes effort to look for Witcher gear, so the other gear is there for people more story focused than world exploration focused.

The other gear is for people that are happy to look like one of the ignorant peasants you are helping all the time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They're actually researched historical medieval outfits and own.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I beat the Witcher 2 again. Now to wait patiently for Blood and Wine.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
There may not be high level armors, but having beaten hearts, I'm still not high enough level for one of the first sword schematics I found in the game. Hearts also adds a couple more swords and armors that are slightly better stats than witcher gear.

Cool thing to note is that schematics for items are a few levels higher, and stronger than their found counterparts. As if properly weighted and fitted weapons and armor are better at their jobs.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

And really, the events that net you the bad ending (without spoiling anything) aren't really even tied to Is Your Geralt A Good Or Bad Person, which I also liked.

Of the 5 decisions that determine the ending, only one has a clear-cut 'good/bad' outlay, everything else you can botch even with good intentions. The only one that I think is clear cut is deciding to accompany her to her friends grave, only a dickhead wouldn't do that.

It does seem silly that the relationship would be defined by a couple of offhand choices rather than you know, their entire lives where they've cared for each other and risked their lives for each other over and over, but hey, teenagers I guess.

CJacobs posted:

Maybe more accurate to call it the dark ending rather than the bad one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

in Cyberpunk if you start a character with a low Intellect score they should deliver all their dialogue in trollspeak

This would be great but is unlikely to happen, since it means literally doubling the voice talent budget for each actor who does this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cmykjester posted:

For those not in the know, Insanity is ironman mode - die once, and you start again from the begining.

Holy poo poo that's mental. How many tries did that take you?

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Goddamn what the hell Geralt they're just bandits don't you think that's a little

cooshee
Feb 26, 2015

cmykjester posted:

to 100% witcher 2 you have to kill all the trolls for one achievement... which makes you a horrible person neither a gentleman nor a scholar

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cooshee posted:

to 100% witcher 2 you have to kill all the trolls for one achievement... which makes you a horrible person neither a gentleman nor a scholar

Ban the monster from the thread.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Maximum Planck posted:

Goddamn what the hell Geralt they're just bandits don't you think that's a little

When I was surrounded by angry drunk farmers in the inn in White Orchard at the end of the introduction, I threw a grapeshot bomb and killed them all in one shot. The entire room was covered in gore and severed limbs and the remaining villagers were puking. It was amazing.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For those not in the know, Insanity is ironman mode - die once, and you start again from the begining.

Holy poo poo that's mental. How many tries did that take you?

I'd say about 10-12 to be honest, Once you know what you're doing it's not that terrible. It's just annoying to do the prologue over and over again because it gets boring. Honestly the best way to do it is to just stick to only doing the main quests, because that way when you die you're losing like 2hours of progress instead of like 10 if you were trying to do side-quests.

I honestly did feel kind of bad about the troll achievement, it was the second to last one I got and I haven't really gone for it until my like 3-4th play though of the game. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IkeTurner posted:

Speaking of the soundtrack, there's a particular track I was looking for but couldn't seem to find in the official soundtrack Youtube video.
Which soundtrack ended up on YouTube? I've found two different versions now: the GOG/iTunes Music Store version (35 tracks), and an Apple Music/Spotify/Google Play version (56 tracks) which seems to be the longest version I've found but also seems to be missing tracks from the former :confused: The soundtrack distribution is kind of a mess for this game.

Also Apple Music has a Hearts of Stone soundtrack (11 tracks) which GOG doesn't seem to have.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 24, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

cmykjester posted:

I'd say about 10-12 to be honest, Once you know what you're doing it's not that terrible. It's just annoying to do the prologue over and over again because it gets boring. Honestly the best way to do it is to just stick to only doing the main quests, because that way when you die you're losing like 2hours of progress instead of like 10 if you were trying to do side-quests.

I honestly did feel kind of bad about the troll achievement, it was the second to last one I got and I haven't really gone for it until my like 3-4th play though of the game. :(

How does it work; I'm assuming you can save, and therefore save-cheat if you die? you didn't blitz the game in one sitting did you?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If it's an ironman-style game mode I'm assuming you can only save on exit and the game deletes the save everytime you load.

So you can save and take a break, but only to take a break, and otherwise you keep going until you win or you die.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That's specifically Dark Mode for Witcher 2 ain't it? Of course, for all I know it can overlap with Insanity.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

That's specifically Dark Mode for Witcher 2 ain't it? Of course, for all I know it can overlap with Insanity.

Dark Mode is Insanity without the Ironmaning. I think both are the same difficulty.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

I hate to be that guy but you folks seemed to be having a strong discussion the last time I asked, so I'll just pose the question again:

Cirosan posted:

Been hearing some mixed talk about the newest patch, 1.12, and it maybe causing more issues than it solves. What's the consensus? Is it worth installing and going through the rigmarole of getting mods to work with a new patch, or is it better to stick with 1.11?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terrible Horse posted:

How does it work; I'm assuming you can save, and therefore save-cheat if you die? you didn't blitz the game in one sitting did you?

The instant your health hits zero you get locked out of all of your saves, all of your previous saves will have a skull on it to show you can't load them and it changes some sort of number in your registry so you can't get cute and try to back up the saves on another drive and reload them. However if you think things are going sideways you can always jam F9 to quickload before you die and I think dying in cutscenes doesn't count? I got killed by Iorveth's archers in a cutscene because I picked the wrong dialogue option and it let me reload that save.

You don't have to do it in one sitting. The successful one I basically finished through act one at night and then woke up on the morning to finish acts 2 and 3. I honestly think Ironman is more intimidating than anything as by late act 2 you become pretty powerful and enemies hits would only take like 1/10th of my health instead of half in one hit.

Also Quen is your friend.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is the best runestone for your sword? Chance for bleeding or +% attack power?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cirosan posted:

I hate to be that guy but you folks seemed to be having a strong discussion the last time I asked, so I'll just pose the question again:

If you really like your mods, stay on the old patch for your own ease. As someone who has never used mods, each patch improves the game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Cirosan posted:

I haven't had any problems, save for a mod I use that removes the weird zoom in on witch senses needing an update.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been having random crashes in the Witcher 3 lately. Steam Version on the latest patch in Windows 10. Has anyone else been running into any sort of weirdness.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What is the best runestone for your sword? Chance for bleeding or +% attack power?

Generally I'd lean toward bleed/stagger on steel and burning on silver.

It depends on the swords inherent bonuses though, some have base enchantments that I like to really double-down on.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

Generally I'd lean toward bleed/stagger on steel and burning on silver.

It depends on the swords inherent bonuses though, some have base enchantments that I like to really double-down on.

I had thought this too, until I went on a ? spree in Velen. There were so many creatures that could not be bled, stunned/staggered, poisoned, burned, frozen, etc. The only stones I feel will always have a useful bonus 100% of the time are attack power and armor piercing. Put armor piercing on steel for your armored humans, and attack power on silver for those golems/elementals/ghosts and other non bleedable/poisonable/freezable etc. monsters. I don't think monsters get armor bonuses, and humans are the only ones I know that do.

I will say though, bleed monsters when you can. My ? spree netted me some sweet poo poo. In addition to finding the complete master crafted ursine set by accident, I found a relic silver sword called Bloodsword that comes with three sockets and an inherent 9% bleed chance. I stuck 3 3% to bleed runes in there for an 18% bleed chance.

I took that up against a level 28 grave hag when I was 19. I would get procd every other hit, and those bleeds hit for 480 a tick. Couldn't have done it otherwise.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do runes stack from both swords or just the one you're using at the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I had thought this too, until I went on a ? spree in Velen. There were so many creatures that could not be bled, stunned/staggered, poisoned, burned, frozen, etc. The only stones I feel will always have a useful bonus 100% of the time are attack power and armor piercing. Put armor piercing on steel for your armored humans, and attack power on silver for those golems/elementals/ghosts and other non bleedable/poisonable/freezable etc. monsters. I don't think monsters get armor bonuses, and humans are the only ones I know that do.

I will say though, bleed monsters when you can. My ? spree netted me some sweet poo poo. In addition to finding the complete master crafted ursine set by accident, I found a relic silver sword called Bloodsword that comes with three sockets and an inherent 9% bleed chance. I stuck 3 3% to bleed runes in there for an 18% bleed chance.

I took that up against a level 28 grave hag when I was 19. I would get procd every other hit, and those bleeds hit for 480 a tick. Couldn't have done it otherwise.

Attack power rune was glitched for months after the game released, so it won't have a lot of advocates in general. Same as Chort dedoction. Awesome sounding things that didn't actually work for a lot of folks.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do runes stack from both swords or just the one you're using at the time?

Just the one you're using, it's a specific socket dedicated to a specific equipment item.