Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Still last minute as all hell but I finally uploaded my game.

Play it here!

Game balance might be a little out of whack and I didn't get a chance to test the HTML5 or Mac builds yet, so use at your own peril. Please remember to water the plant.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

holy gently caress I actually finished the game with like 20 minutes left. I have to say, the upload is really slow, or maybe it is due to how close I was to the deadline while uploading.

http://www.awfuljams.com/little-awful-2016/games/chill-shoot

Windows Standalone: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByFNN6-4PiK_bFZFRjI4dE9WV3M/view?usp=sharing

It really is a shame that I only had time for coding one background, the game would seriously look and feel way better with more background variation.

fnox fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 23, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

:ohdear:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Harold Krell posted:

Do you have the latest version of Chrome? That was what I developed the game on, so there should be sound with that browser.
I was using Iron Portable (Chromium), which apparently isn't the latest version, sorry about that! It worked fine when I installed Chrome Portable.

Antidox posted:

Cool Down My Face is done!

The game I forgot to post about while I made, about trying to cool down a disembodied face in the Australian Summer, heavily inspired by the Australian Summer.

I'm about to submit it now, you can have a crack and please not tell me if it's horribly broken on the itch.io page http://antonducks.itch.io/cool-down-my-face?secret=3zobZtd6A9W0Z0qR4RDWV378c8
Works great! Shadows when jumping didn't work for me on the lowest setting (must be a Unity thing), but that didn't matter because I could run it on Fantastic at full speed anyways. I really enjoyed how striking the game starts, like "Why is there a disembodied face with rolling eye? :ohdear:" while still maintaining a strong graphical aesthetic instead of just coming through as random and messy. I think there's an idea here for a Labyrinth type game, or a Katamari clone, but I kind of just got the combo up to max (4) and then stayed it the middle (it was too easy to jump away from the edge, as well). Also, sometimes fire would spawn underneath the face?

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

fnox posted:

holy gently caress I actually finished the game with like 20 minutes left. I have to say, the upload is really slow, or maybe it is due to how close I was to the deadline while uploading.
Lots of people submitting at the same time!

As long as you (or anyone!) are on the screen, having started your upload. You all should be good. If something goes wrong with the site please let me know.

[Edit]
By the way - the zip file you upload to the site is not shown on your game's page - make sure you have a link to a zip file (or whatever is needed) on your game page, so the general public can play!

[Edit2]
Looks like there's a relatively easy to hit bug, wherein if you don't select a platform when submitting your game, it doesn't get marked as submitted. I marked 4 games as submitted, because they had zips attached and no platforms marked:
WeWantToWatchAMovie, Netflicks and Chill Man, A Moderate and Reasonable Sloth, The View down the Cold Firgun have each been manually marked by me as submitted. If this is a mistake let me know and I'll mark them as drafts and send them to the wall of shame :v:

SharpenedSpoonv2 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 23, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Yep, if you attempt to upload before the jam ends you have a generous window to finish said upload.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Mac build for PUNCH FIGHT V.5: ICE TO MEET YOU is up for download; I've updated my previous post with the link:

blastron posted:

Yeah PUNCH FIGHT V.5: ICE TO MEET YOU hit some development problems so this isn't the best game I've ever come up with, but...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah6eze2ccq6wmw5/PF5_5_win.zip?dl=0 (windows)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzqd61mqv4vggvc/PF5_5_mac.zip?dl=0 (mac)

Controls:
WASD to move
R to reload and swap weapons
LMB - attack
RMB - heavy attack (also an air jump in gun mode)
SHIFT - dash (and you get invuln frames)
E - Knockup (in sword mode only)
CTRL - Block (in sword mode only)
IS ANY OF THIS EXPLAINED IN GAME?? gently caress NO

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wow, what a jam.

If anything this jam has reaffirmed my faith in our lord and savior, the agile methodology.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
38 games for what I considered to be a fairly short notice jam! Awesome!

Also if you didn't set your supported platforms, I am upset with you.

:siren: :siren: ADD DOWNLOAD LINKS TO YOUR GAME PAGES. :siren: :siren:

Calipark fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 23, 2016

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

JonTerp posted:

Also if you didn't set your supported platforms, I am upset with you.

Uh... Could you set the platform for murder, death, chill to Web :/

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The Little Awful Jam 2016 Gong Show will be held on the 5th and 6th of February starting at 5pm CST on both days.

A schedule will be posted when I get around to organizing it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, that's much more than I thought there'd be! I doubt I'll get to them all, then, but I'm having fun.

Lemon posted:

My awful game is done:

http://jhearn.itch.io/chill-day

Any comments etc!

Now to take a look at all of youse guys's

I enjoyed the flavor text, though it's kind of a shame the player was punished for looking for them. I think I would've preferred a different type of game system besides the time management thing (mini-games or anything more fleshed out), but congrats on your game!

GashouseGorilla
Nov 11, 2011

Well, I completed a game. A short, simple game, but still a game. Inspired by that button-mashing Diablo II/Sydney 2000-style!

Couldn't figure out why the intro video wasn't exporting for judge's submission, but at least figured it out later for public version:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1PfKfrl5aMoTTZ4ellxeHNrY0E

Quite the learning experience for me (still not sure I did it all correctly). Also, I'm really impressed with what others have created!

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009

I Updated my gamepage, please take a look!

http://webm.land/media/udZg.webm

http://webm.land/media/MIzi.webm

http://webm.land/media/WVcl.webm
(how many WebM's is too much?)

Steampunk_Spoon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 23, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ultigonio posted:

If nothing else, I would strongly recommend adjusting the firing sound a little bit - make it a bit less abrasive, and probably a little shorter. This game is super broken but it looks great and the music's so good that I can't seem to stop - but some small SFX adjustments could keep me helplessly locked in for even longer. I'd also recommend shortening the "talk" soundbite.

Ah I was worried about that. I usually leave sound last so I've never learned how to get around gmses weird habit of playing sounds really really loud if more than one instance of the sound is playing. That and they are mostly goofy bfxr noises.

Oh and I think the sound option not sticking is the event starting over when the room switches?

Antidox
Sep 2, 2006
A

Doom Goon posted:

Works great! Shadows when jumping didn't work for me on the lowest setting (must be a Unity thing), but that didn't matter because I could run it on Fantastic at full speed anyways. I really enjoyed how striking the game starts, like "Why is there a disembodied face with rolling eye? :ohdear:" while still maintaining a strong graphical aesthetic instead of just coming through as random and messy. I think there's an idea here for a Labyrinth type game, or a Katamari clone, but I kind of just got the combo up to max (4) and then stayed it the middle (it was too easy to jump away from the edge, as well). Also, sometimes fire would spawn underneath the face?

Hey thanks! Yeah I was originally going for something way more Keita Takahashi but had to reduce scope cause this is the first game I've made since I was like 12. What was your high score? Also yeah you're totally right, I was gonna add a physical nose on the face to stop you from staying in the middle but I didn't have time to fight blender and retexture it, and my fire spawn script is a big steaming pile.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Hammer Bro. posted:

I played a game! (Someone tell me if I ought not be doing this.)

Penguin Panic

https://vimeo.com/152786923

Final thoughts:
  • It's hard enough to trick people into reading instructions in this day and age, but it's especially difficult with the nauseating flesh-eating-barber-shop background.
  • NOT SO LOUD!
  • Overall pretty polished and I enjoyed my few minutes with it, but I was happy when it ended.
  • Vimeo counts the size of the file you upload against your quota, then re-encodes it regardless of how perfectly it was compressed the first time (I'm new to this).
Good jorb.

I really enjoyed watching you play my game. Thanks!

If anyone is interested, here's a video of a solid Penguin Panic play-through. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkNLk9lPOk (There is no voice over)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cardinal Die-rection

https://vimeo.com/152825384

Morning-after chill:
  • The pay-what-you-want download was a bit of a turn-off.
  • The intro text went by way too quickly.
  • It's still not obvious to me what the goal was. Keep shooting things, keep finding things?
  • From a technical perspective, this was a good achievement. The controls were obvious, everything worked, and there were graphics, music, sound-effects, randomization, and enemies with AI. But from a design perspective it was a let-down. I'm doing some thing for some reason and sometimes you win immediately?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Joe Noire was great and everyone should check it out.

Games with no link on the website:
Death is Eternal

Games with no link on the site or in the thread that I can tell:
A Moderate and Reasonable Sloth
The View down the Cold Firgun (itch.io page is down)
Hashtag Everest

Notable bugs I've ran into:
Netflix and Chill Man: Can't select Pulp Fiction, selecting either of the other two movies and she immediately peaces out to her home planet.
Cardinal Die-rection: At higher resolutions the play button's buried beneath the snow and can't get clicked, figured it out by watching the video Hammer Bro. posted and ran it windowed

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 23, 2016

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Quick impressions from the stuff I've played

Cryolancer - Looks great, sounds great, plays good! Freezing large ships and dropping them on other ships is a fun gimmick. Hitbox on ship feels a bit too big though.
Kesha Was Bird - Awesome Octo graphics, and nice sounds! Some neat effects as well. I actually really liked this game until I got stuck after getting the code.
Catfishin' and Chill - Love the easy to hard mode transition. Amazing art. Controls in hard mode feels a bit wonky.
Awful Darts - Looks great. Not very fun to play :(
Lee The Chill Chinchilla - I dunno, gameplay was alright for what it was I guess, but not much game in there.
Chateau de Feu - This might be my favorite. Nice puzzles, and a hard but fair boss battle.
Zamboni - Good intro. Not very fun to play :( Ending was dissapointing. Was hoping for something similar to intro quality
Gardening Grandmas 4: Chili Cook Off - My rock + watering can chili was not a hit with the judges :(
Llama goes to Market : I liked this a lot. The haggling section felt a lot like the game Shatter, which I love. Could have had a better ending
Polar Adventure - Fun and nice looking choose your own adventure thing. finally got the best ending, and it was very chill. worth the time spent
Death is Eternal - Looks good, sounds good, super broken collisions.

edit: Also, here's a video playthrough of Murder, Death, Chill for people too lazy to play a 5 minute game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23rl4t_hauQ

Buffis fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 23, 2016

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Netflicks and Chill Man

My game is a Netflix and chill simulator with everyone's favorite super villain Mr. Freeze Chill Man! Try and score with an anime girl named Booberina by watching "movies" and occasionally managing her HORNEY LEVEL meter by making ice puns, cuddling, and/or using karate.

DOWNLOAD

Atoramos posted:

Notable bugs I've ran into:
Netflix and Chill Man: Can't select Pulp Fiction, selecting either of the other two movies and she immediately peaces out to her home planet.

Oh gently caress, you're right. I've fixed the version on Dropbox so it should work properly now. But unfortunately the faulty one I originally uploaded is the same one that I put in the .zip file for the judges... So that means there's no chance of an actual working version of it being judged at all, right? :(

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Oh gently caress, you're right. I've fixed the version on Dropbox so it should work properly now. But unfortunately the faulty one I originally uploaded is the same one that I put in the .zip file for the judges... So that means there's no chance of an actual working version of it being judged at all, right? :(

That's correct. Gong Show uses judging versions as well.

Test your games!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

That's correct. Gong Show uses judging versions as well.

Test your games!
Especially on other people's computers. I had assumed since Voynich worked fine on other peoples' systems that this one would too, and now all those hours I crammed in the last 3 days ended up going into making an instructions and game over screen simulator. Lesson learned.

I am kinda proud of some parts of the game though and want people to be able to experience them, so I may make a video play through of it later and hope someone clicks it.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
doing some more mini-firstimpressions-reviews

Polar Adventure - Worth playing for the intro alone.
Cryolancer- The animations in this is pretty nice. Love the style but I didn't feel very powerful in it
Forget Chill - You know when guitar hero has all those weird and wonderful effects of your band playing in the background and you don't see them because you're concentrating on what notes are coming up next? This is what this game feels like so I never got to read those depressing messages that were showing up that I totally didn't look up in the source code so I could read them all
Penguin Panic - Looking after penguins is hard :saddowns:
Netflicks and Chill Man - This was a lot like going back on newgrounds and playing those impossible games where you try to get the anime lady to be horney enough for her to show you her anime tity. I never beat those games and neither I could with this one. Also all the videos aren't showing so there's that as well.

also thanks those who've played mine, I literally had no idea what to do with the theme AND I'M PRETTY SURE IT SHOWS

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I've always thought that the best way to improve Flappy Bird was to make the backgrounds visually unpleasant and add the most inscrutable hitboxes imaginable, so good job Afal

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Afal posted:

Netflicks and Chill Man - This was a lot like going back on newgrounds and playing those impossible games where you try to get the anime lady to be horney enough for her to show you her anime tity. I never beat those games and neither I could with this one. Also all the videos aren't showing so there's that as well.

Wait, the videos STILL don't show up? Aaaghh, I gotta figure out what the hell is going on.
But yeah, the Newgrounds thing was the basis behind it. But since it's dragged out for 3 and a half minutes each time I can only imagine how excruciating it must be with no video.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Behold!

#Everest

Please enjoy my chill as gently caress game about taking selfies.

(get XNA runtimes to make it work)

E:

If you don't haven't already, please install these runtimes:
XNA Runtime 4.0
.NET 4.0

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Buffis posted:

Kesha Was Bird - Awesome Octo graphics, and nice sounds! Some neat effects as well. I actually really liked this game until I got stuck after getting the code.
I got stuck here too.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

(get XNA runtimes to make it work)

Please include the XNA runtime in your zip!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

Yo Afal, I played your game. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately messaged my teammates IN ALL CAPS that they should drop everything and play it. I do agree the flappy bird hitboxes were a bit wonky but I enjoyed the reappearance of Anime Steve.

Oh, and by the way, An Video Game provided quite a bit of inspiration for #Everest, so thanks for that.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chill Day

https://vimeo.com/152860226

Spinal Thoughts:
  • This wasn't even the game about chilling that I thought it would be.
  • That being said, I did get some chuckles out of it. The timer worked quite well to create a sense of urgency and for once not reading the instructions worked in my favor.
  • I liked the multiple popups for repeated inspections of things. I did not like being penalized for them.
  • The implementation was charming in a quaint, nostalgic sort of way. I think we've all been there.
  • I did not like the installer, nor itch.io trying to advertise other things to me. Nor having to un-disable offsite requests to get the download to work. Have I mentioned that I hate the Internet?

I came, I saw, I honkered.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Antidox posted:

Hey thanks! Yeah I was originally going for something way more Keita Takahashi but had to reduce scope cause this is the first game I've made since I was like 12. What was your high score? Also yeah you're totally right, I was gonna add a physical nose on the face to stop you from staying in the middle but I didn't have time to fight blender and retexture it, and my fire spawn script is a big steaming pile.
I think I got to 30k? 3k? before I stopped? It was ~10 min, I wanted to see if the force would eventually win over the controls but it didn't seem to.

Mihai Zetta
Aug 13, 2015

Xibanya's been keeping me busy over the last two weeks doing something of everything for #Everest, but now it's time to have some fun and check all the work. It was an honor to participate in this jam and achieve my dream of being the first white, left-handed guy from New Jersey to work with a team out of Texas and Q.A. a game with a Chill theme released on the night an actual blizzard hit.

I wanted to get some firsthand experience as to how a game about taking awesome selfies while climbing Mt. Everest would feel, so he's a shot of how I would look in the Western Cwm after a successful testing session. I don't get cold in the winter much, so I'd make sure to dress comfortably for the weather.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Afal posted:

Polar Adventure - Worth playing for the intro alone.
Cryolancer- The animations in this is pretty nice. Love the style but I didn't feel very powerful in it
Forget Chill - You know when guitar hero has all those weird and wonderful effects of your band playing in the background and you don't see them because you're concentrating on what notes are coming up next? This is what this game feels like so I never got to read those depressing messages that were showing up that I totally didn't look up in the source code so I could read them all
Penguin Panic - Looking after penguins is hard :saddowns:

also thanks those who've played mine, I literally had no idea what to do with the theme AND I'M PRETTY SURE IT SHOWS

Someone played my bad game! :peanut:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Still scouting out who will win my bounty for the game with the best :iceburn:

Quick thoughts:

Chill Out - seems more a demo than a game, but I liked the music!
Murder, Death, Chill - this game looked gorgeous and gameplay seemed pretty tight. This kind of game isn't my thing so I got bored after a few levels but I know a lot of people to whom it would appeal. Graphics were hella chill.
Lee, The Chill Chinchilla - probably not a lot of replay value but this one was pretty fun
Tried to play The View down the Cold Firgun but the link was broken
Frigid - I really enjoyed this game's aesthetic and the sound design was minimalist but effective. I happen to enjoy walking simulators so it's up my alley (although I found myself tempted to make an autowalk macro in AutoIT)

More to come!

Mihai Zetta posted:

Xibanya's been keeping me busy

:drat: I need to up my gamedev selfie game if I'm gonna take home that copy of Bad Rats!

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Lead programmer for Team Dogpit checking in, here's me with my programming beard

Make sure you play our game, #Everest so you can make yourself feel cool again by doing the most dumbest things on top of the world's tallest mountain to the hooting applause of bros on social media until you die from exposure to the elements. I recommend going in without any prior knowledge at first, but here's some tips on what little gameplay I was able to implement before the contest deadline:

• Make sure each character has enough food, half rations reduce your health/stamina regen and running out completely will slowly deplete your health
  • Most status ailments will go away after enough rest. Having a medical kit in someone's inventory will help, resting at landmarks and especially the camps will help too
  • Having a sleeping bag for each character and a tent for the whole party increases health and stamina regen while resting
  • Having lots of crazy and heavy junk in your photo will get more likes and comments. Make sure you retrieve your junk before leaving the photo screen
  • Water bottles aren't necessary but prevent any chance of dysentery. Having a water treatment kit in someone's inventory reduces the chance of dysentery but doesn't prevent it
  • Wearing goggles greatly reduces the chance of snowblindness and retinal hemorrhaging, but wearing shutter shades for your photos gives more likes
  • Climbing around bottlenecks will probably get someone killed, but having climbing harnesses and ascenders equipped reduces the chance. Having fixed lines in someone's inventory and an icepick equipped on at least character helps further
  • Traveling at night reduces movement speed and increases chance of hypothermia. Try resting at landmarks until daybreak
  • You can get a rough estimate of your travel speed by looking at the walking animation speed of your party
  • Blizzards inflict damage and increase the chance of hypothermia and snowblindness unless you rest at a landmark with a tent or at a camp
  • Prevent/heal hypoxia with a breathing mask and oxygen bottles. By default oxygen use is disabled so you don't burn through your bottles at lower altitudes

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 24, 2016

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Xibanya posted:

Still scouting out who will win my bounty for the game with the best :iceburn:
Murder, Death, Chill - this game looked gorgeous and gameplay seemed pretty tight. This kind of game isn't my thing so I got bored after a few levels but I know a lot of people to whom it would appeal. Graphics were hella chill.

Hey, I selfnominate the finale of Murder, Death, Chill for best ice burn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23rl4t_hauQ
(Seqnce after getting to 100%). About 2 minutes into the video (it's a short game)

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Tried to play The View down the Cold Firgun but the link was broken

Oh, sorry, fixed that.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Make sure you play our game, #Everest so you can make yourself feel cool again by doing the most dumbest things on top of the world's tallest mountain to the hooting applause of bros on social media until you die from exposure to the elements. I recommend going in without any prior knowledge at first, but here's some tips on what little gameplay I was able to implement before the contest deadline:

The game crashes on startup for me, despite having both XNA runtime and .NET framework installer (downloaded both from links on awfuljam page, and went through installers anyways). I'm on Win7 64bit.

Crashlogs:
C:\Users\buffi\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1D0D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
http://dpaste.com/1446ZH3
C:\Users\buffi\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3446.tmp.appcompat.txt
http://dpaste.com/1VGW30H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
OK, the standalone exe runs on my computer so I'll investigate and see what's up.

• Locked thread