Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Yea but you can say that about literally everything in this game. Why are the hallways all 4 tiles? Why is everyone marching single file? Why can't I use any item on any curio? Why can you run from a fight and go back later?

Its a game, and its an abstraction.

not really? it's actually really loving annoying and incredibly debilitating in the grand scheme of things to waste food when it's not needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Most of the pushing in this thread to keep the "Purity" of the game is just an equal but opposite reaction to all the unpleasable whiners who post/downvote Steam reviews. Very few people care how you play the game, the game itself caters to your preferences, and there are even achievements to let folks know whether or not you've done your time. For my part I've been playing with the default settings, but it's definitely a game I could see myself beating, staying away from for awhile, then returning for a replay on slightly lower settings for a smoother second-time-around experience.

Regarding hunger, I'm okay with it being semi-random/random-ish, I just don't think there should be hunger events immediately following other hunger events and/or camping, "Immediately" being the key word there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah a limit of one hunger event per room/corridor pair would probably make sense

however i have never, ever, ever had hunger be an issue for my guys so welp

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I have a theory that hunger is actually figured as an invisible "trap" that occupies a tile space. I have only my own anecdotal experience, but I don't think I've ever seen a hunger proc when travelling on the same tile as a trap or curio or fight or obstacle or anything else that occupies a corridor space. If this is true, with good scouting you could theoretically try to avoid hunger by travelling down corridors that have the most of their spaces filled with other stuff, which is pretty funny.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I've never had a hunger event impact my ability to finish a mission that wasn't already tanked already. Like "I should have left 2 rooms ago and I'm pushing my luck" sort of option. Unless you're stuffing your guy's faces every fight you can easily take more food than you'll need outside of like a 99%+ chance.

The randomness keeps it from being something you're completely sure of, makes you judge if you think you have enough maybe food to spend on a fatter camp or healing between fights. It making no sense in a "we just ate why are we hungry again" is irrelevant. The mission takes a week, the distances are abstracted, the food usage is abstracted.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I am generally content with the state of this game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was satisfied with my $10 purchase but in my book it's basically "XCOM but not as good" in every comparable aspect. Kept me entertained for 16 hours according to Steam, so good enough while we wait on XCOM 2.

e: I have no thoughts on any state of the game other than the "immediately after release" state because I did not play it in early access.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2016

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Why are the hallways all 4 tiles?

Well...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Chomp8645 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the length of this game is insane? I doubt I'll ever finish because it's not even the end of year 1 and I feel like I've gotten about all I'm going to get out of the experience.

It lacks the tension driving aspect that made XCOM's lengthy campaign work, because you can actually fail XCOM. In this having a big wipe or whatever just means a lot more grind. It's grinding.
The only thing that makes it artificially longer is the needing 16 kitted out people. If that didn't exist I think a veteran player could probably finish the game very quickly.

A full team wipe in this game outside of the DD is just stupidity or a really bad luck shambler fight.

The DD punishes you for retreating however, and that IMO is lovely of them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

I have a theory that hunger is actually figured as an invisible "trap" that occupies a tile space. I have only my own anecdotal experience, but I don't think I've ever seen a hunger proc when travelling on the same tile as a trap or curio or fight or obstacle or anything else that occupies a corridor space. If this is true, with good scouting you could theoretically try to avoid hunger by travelling down corridors that have the most of their spaces filled with other stuff, which is pretty funny.

This is exactly how it works, so good job if you figured that out on your own.

Also, hunger events can pop up if you backtrack through a cleared hallway, just like monsters and traps. So avoid backtracking unless you've got plenty of food.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm pretty sure I've had hunger events twice in a single hallway. Maybe anecdotal, but seems twice as likely to get a hunger event when back tracking.

I'm playing on the default settings. If I could change anything it would just be having the game tell me what items go with what curio, I'm just going to use a guide for it anyways so it's annoying.

I don't get the XCOM comparisons going on right now, but I'm enjoying this way more than I did XCOM. Don't even think I'm buying Xcom 2 unless some major changes were made. I don't remember exactly, but was annoyed with how important satellites were and how the enemies spawned in game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the length of this game is insane? I doubt I'll ever finish because it's not even the end of year 1 and I feel like I've gotten about all I'm going to get out of the experience.

It lacks the tension driving aspect that made XCOM's lengthy campaign work, because you can actually fail XCOM. In this having a big wipe or whatever just means a lot more grind. It's grinding.

I do think it's overlong, but in a lot of ways I thought XCOM was worse. Past the first few months the loss condition always ceased to be an issue for me, even when I was floundering around for months.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I hated how boring the final mission in XCOM EU/EW was, so as long as Darkest Dungeon can avoid that I'm looking forward to hitting its endgame. Gearing up to face the Hag right now with a Plague Doc/Occultist/Abomination/Bounty Hunter, so this oughta be interesting and hopefully not lethal.

Also, I'm just playing the base game, no mods. I haven't seen a need for them yet outside of using a guide on the curios.

edit: Just ran into the Collector. Thanks, game, I really needed that.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 24, 2016

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Just wanna say this was like a greater version of what was going on with my suicide squad and the Shambler. Every turn he didn't create more tentacles, only one of my lepers was actually able to attack.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I do think it's overlong, but in a lot of ways I thought XCOM was worse. Past the first few months the loss condition always ceased to be an issue for me, even when I was floundering around for months.

Echoing this because I thought people earlier in this thread mentioned XCOM failstates but I recall going for a long while even before the Alien Base assault and the only punishment I got was more advanced enemies than usual when I started doing story mission poo poo.

I am generally content with the state of this game. However, modding it seems cool and I am actually wondering how to do that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Am I the only one that feels like Emboldening Vapors is pretty 'blah'? I can't think of another single target buff and for good reason; to be worth it the benefit of the buff needs to exceed the turn not spent blighting or stunning enemies. Here's how I would change it:

Emboldening Vapors: Only affects front two rows, giving them +25% damage, +4 speed, +15% stress resist. If they are afflicted, they get an additional +15% damage and 2% crit. The idea behind this is that it buffs two heroes, not one, but only the front two heroes so its limited to the frontliners. The speed boost hopefully allows them to take their turn immediately after the Plague Doc. Buffing afflicted heroes makes them really powerful, but you're gambling on them not getting emo on their turn and passing or doing something stupid like stabbing themselves. And it lasts only 1 round.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Am I the only one that feels like Emboldening Vapors is pretty 'blah'? I can't think of another single target buff and for good reason; to be worth it the benefit of the buff needs to exceed the turn not spent blighting or stunning enemies. Here's how I would change it:

Emboldening Vapors: Only affects front two rows, giving them +25% damage, +4 speed, +15% stress resist. If they are afflicted, they get an additional +15% damage and 2% crit. The idea behind this is that it buffs two heroes, not one, but only the front two heroes so its limited to the frontliners. The speed boost hopefully allows them to take their turn immediately after the Plague Doc. Buffing afflicted heroes makes them really powerful, but you're gambling on them not getting emo on their turn and passing or doing something stupid like stabbing themselves. And it lasts only 1 round.

I would bake it into battlefield medicine and lower / remove the heal. Increase the potency if you are curing blight or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
That's a good idea, though I had one for Battlefield medicine too:

Nerf the heal a bit (hear me out) and have it heal 0-1/1/2/2/3 HP to the back three rows, along with curing Blight, Bleed, and DoTs. If anybody has a Death's Door debuff (either from currently being on it or having the perma debuff), they are healed for +1/2/2/3/4 HP and the Death's Door debuff is removed.

Now her heal is super clutch; have an enemy AoE damage/blight everybody and put them on Death's Door? The PD can strip off all the upcoming damage and boost up their health. Annoying debuffs dragging you down? Save your herbs and use the PD to remove them. Since the bonus healing also removes the Death's Door debuff, you can't abuse it by having a better version of Vestal's AoE heal; its extremely good in clutch situations, but variable in others. And it can't reach the front row, making it a little unique (much like how Arbalest's Battlefield Bandage can't heal the back row).

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

FreeKillB posted:

e2: getting ultra hosed by backtracking can be avoided if you're pretty careful about scouting and not leaving any stone unturned. I discovered that even though the icons for quest items are the same as for a curio, a mouseover will tell you if it's a quest location or just a standard curio.

i had no idea this was possible, really good to know.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Has anyone used disorienting blast now that they buffed it? I was thinking maybe you could take Blinding Gas and Disorienting Blast along with Blasphemous Vial and Witch's Vial; the PD can either stun the back 2 rows or one of the front 2 and shuffle them up. But I still don't think its useful enough, especially since Blinding Gas is so reliable and nice to stun annoying stress casting enemies.

I'd actually make it a mega debuff, with lots of chances to proc different effects. The idea is using it will cause something to happen, though its still tricky to figure out what:

High chance to shuffle enemy party
Moderate chance to lower enemy move, stun, and debuff resist by 40%
Low chance to stun.

You could get super lucky and stun them all, or at the very least soften them up for other abilities. It would synergize very well with other group debuffs vs groups of enemies that are annoyingly hard to hit (zombie dogs) or really tough (fungal zombies)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Re: leper, an abomination-style transform where he removes his mask mid-fight for improved accuracy and range at the cost of party stress and personal PROT would fix him pretty good. I love that deformed pious weirdo and I just want to see him do well.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Definitely hoping there's more done with this franchise in the future. Like in the way of expansion pack type stuff, or spinoffs of the setting in other game genres.

Or if not that then other genres of fiction with a similar approach. Like oh I dunno, 'Darkest Galaxy' for an event horizon star trek kinda game.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 24, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Re: leper, an abomination-style transform where he removes his mask mid-fight for improved accuracy and range at the cost of party stress and personal PROT would fix him pretty good. I love that deformed pious weirdo and I just want to see him do well.

Let the Leper throw his dirty bandages to blight the a single target in rank 2-4.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Has anyone used disorienting blast now that they buffed it? I was thinking maybe you could take Blinding Gas and Disorienting Blast along with Blasphemous Vial and Witch's Vial; the PD can either stun the back 2 rows or one of the front 2 and shuffle them up. But I still don't think its useful enough, especially since Blinding Gas is so reliable and nice to stun annoying stress casting enemies.

Disorienting Blast is extremely sweet and does a lot to keep PD relevant when you're down to 2-3 enemies. Like, yeah, Blinding Gas works fine for stunning a single enemy in back too but the shuffle rider is very nice since it gives you a chance to mess up the enemy formation and waste more of their attacks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lyrax posted:

I am generally content with the state of this game. However, modding it seems cool and I am actually wondering how to do that.

There's no official mod support, but 99% of the data is in plaintext. Make a copy of the DD game directory (so you can switch back and forth) and go nuts.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Firstborn posted:

Does anyone here like the base game? It's your game, your money, your time and you can play it however you want but I didn't expect this much tweaking from the supposed audience this game is for. For content on the :xcom: plate, last night I was hunting a boss and was doing super good. Everyone healed up to near full, low stress, etc. Two fights on the way to the boss, properly scouted, where things went awry put that journey directly into the toliet (and I feel fine).

What tweaks have you made to the game that you deem necessary?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I was going to make one (simple) change it would probably be reducing the quirk rate by 50% or more (positive and negative). I would be totally ok with a corresponding increase to sanitarium costs. The sheer amount of personnel micromanagement introduced by quirks is a whole lot of tedious bullshit and I don't really see the payoff in it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anal Surgery posted:

The thing with the hunger mechanic is that, as presented it makes no sense. You can get hungry on the second screen. You can get hungry a screen after a hunger event. You can get hungry after camping and eating a big meal. I think food management is fine but it should make sense in the context it's presented in. I think there should be a hunger chance that starts every dungeon at 0% and then increases per room, resetting to 0 after a hunger event or camping. Make it so it's impossible to get 3 hunger events in a row in ANY dungeon except maybe long if you're really unlucky. It's a minor tweak, no need to overdo it.

They spend a whole week down there man

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my plague doctor suggestions:

• tack blight and stun onto Disorientating Vapours
  • huge leech attack, bleeds enemy while healing PD??
  • equip her with an AK-47

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

And for the first time I wish I'd brought a jester. Stress brought down my Plague Doc, then the rest of my team in rapid succession and I lost the fight to the Hag more due to everyone passing turns and hurting themselves than to anything else.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

my plague doctor suggestions:

• tack blight and stun onto Disorientating Vapours
  • huge leech attack, bleeds enemy while healing PD??
  • equip her with an AK-47

"What the hell kind of Doctor are you?"

"I'M A LEAD DOCTOR MOTHERFUCKER"

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

FreeKillB posted:

I got a popup saying "you cannot discard quest items".

e: I'm sort of okay with the 'use 3' missions since you clear out that space over time, but seriously 'collect 3' missions are the worst for looting. I guess I'd take one if I either had no other reasonable choices or if I REALLY wanted the reward trinket, but Explore 90% is so much better and Win every room battle is also much less of a pain.

e2: getting ultra hosed by backtracking can be avoided if you're pretty careful about scouting and not leaving any stone unturned. I discovered that even though the icons for quest items are the same as for a curio, a mouseover will tell you if it's a quest location or just a standard curio.
Thanks for checking for me. No more of those missions unless their trinket is badass.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Nerf the heal a bit (hear me out) and have it heal 0-1/1/2/2/3 HP to the back three rows, along with curing Blight, Bleed, and DoTs. If anybody has a Death's Door debuff (either from currently being on it or having the perma debuff), they are healed for +1/2/2/3/4 HP and the Death's Door debuff is removed.

Battlefield medicine is already situationally the biggest non-crit heal in the game (say..crit arterial pinch is something like 40 dmg). Even a double blight from fungus guys on the back could be a 20+hp between her and the other back-line guy. Clearing death's door debuffs are like 5-time camp cures. Doing that would be loving insane for how good it would be.

Disorienting blast is also already pretty drat good, it doesn't really need more poo poo on it. Vapors is weaker, but still useful in rare situations (towards clean-up phase against blight resistant enemies).

If you're really needing to make her stronger, just reduce the damage penalty on some of her skills and she'd be stupidly strong. You don't need to though, she is already pretty drat good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

ZypherIM posted:

Battlefield medicine is already situationally the biggest non-crit heal in the game (say..crit arterial pinch is something like 40 dmg). Even a double blight from fungus guys on the back could be a 20+hp between her and the other back-line guy. Clearing death's door debuffs are like 5-time camp cures. Doing that would be loving insane for how good it would be.

Disorienting blast is also already pretty drat good, it doesn't really need more poo poo on it. Vapors is weaker, but still useful in rare situations (towards clean-up phase against blight resistant enemies).

If you're really needing to make her stronger, just reduce the damage penalty on some of her skills and she'd be stupidly strong. You don't need to though, she is already pretty drat good.

If you do the math, she's actually pretty lackluster compared to other heroes. That's ok damage wise, she's more of a quasai-support character. But in a turn-based game, a single target buff needs to be REALLY strong to justify using it vs just killing enemies faster.

Disorienting Blast was garbage before. Now its a little better, but Blinding Gas is still superior.

Battlefield Medicine is nice, but its not anything a bandage/antivenom can't also do.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Disorienting Blast was garbage before. Now its a little better, but Blinding Gas is still superior.

pd is explicitly a back-row attacker. she can blight the back two, or she can stun the back two. she can blight one of the front two, or she can stun one of the front two. her back-attack skills are better than her front-attack ones against a full enemy party of 4, because she attacks the back rows. that's her niche.

Panfilo posted:

Battlefield Medicine is nice, but its not anything a bandage/antivenom can't also do.

in much the same way that the vestal's heals aren't any good, because why not just bring more food?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The ability to stun two people in the back ranks is lackluster? What

Disorient blast is mostly just for clearing corpses and stunning the 2nd rank

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I think you missed the point of vapors.

The use of the buff is when you LITERALLY CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE. No one needs cured, you can't stun, and the guy is resistant to blight so the single target blight (if you took it) wouldn't be worth it. Your damage guy gets a bonus in speed/damage so hopefully they can finish them off easier or before they get another turn.

Blinding gas is better unless you're trying to stun rank 2, or if the shuffle effect is more important, or if you need to also get rid of some corpses. They're both useful in different times.

Her blight damage is pretty weak compared to straight damage until poo poo has a lot of prot.

Also, battlefield medicine is objectively better than a bandage, because you can use it to prevent all damage to someone from a dot. A bandage/anti-venom you'll always take at least 1 tick (and you're using inventory space/cash on that poo poo).

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The plague doctor's damage buff is kinda lackluster really quite bad (might be interesting to see how well it worked with a 100% dps abomination build), but everything else is stellar. Her incision attack is quite serviceable in situations where stuns or blight won't really help.

Man, I'd hate the Brigand 8(+)-Pounder fights a lot if the whole thing wasn't so funny if you think about it. If you're ready to face the boss, you are always capable of murdering the matchman before he does whatever he does to fire the cannon, since he's super-squishy. Thus the whole cannon just sits there spawning dudes for eternity while you slowly plink at its absurd protection value. The fact that the cannon has 200+% resistances to everything means that there's no way I'm aware of of killing it fast, so you just murder brigand after brigand. It should really be called the Brigand Clown Car, you kill so many dudes.

e: I'm in week 43 and I haven't entered the Cove even once. I mean, I already have 200 crests sitting around gathering dust for when I have enough gold to start minmaxing nomad trinkets/survival skills, so I don't see the allure (still 160 or so crests to max out ye olde blacksmith). Maybe I should recruit some level 0's to seek a watery grave. Ugh, my flexibility to do apprentice and veteran dungeons is starting to tank as 10 out of my 18 roster slots are filled with champions/legends.

e2:VVVVV I love that trinket and use it at every opportunity. The plague doctor also has a common +30% stun herbs trinket so it's very easy to have a very strong stun gear setup on her.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 24, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Here's the other reason PD is a very solid class:

Not to mention the rest of the generic +20% stun trinkets, etc.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I agree she has one of the best Very Rare class-specific trinkets in the game, no doubt about that. If you take a Plague Doctor, Blasphemous Vial is pretty much a must-have. But she suffers from a couple of things:

-Her blight damage has a damage ceiling. It doesn't scale with anything, so once you've reached level 5 skill you can't get the blight damage any higher. The penalty to her base damage is so harsh it barely contributes. Pretty much every other hero in the game has the frontloaded damage far exceed the DoT so boosting damage/crit actually makes a difference. For the Plague Doctor, even her weapon upgrades are almost pointless since the only thing you really need from her is speed.

-It takes something like over 60% PROT for Blight centric attacks like Noxious Blast/Plague Grenade to exceed the damage of other heroes' conventional attacks. There aren't many enemies that fall under this. The only one that the Plague Doctor is particularly good against are Plated Maggots (High prot/low HP).

A skill that you use when you can't use anything else is a bad skill. Every hero should have skills that are equally viable, that gives choice to the player to decide what direction he wants the battle to go.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the Plague Doctor, but I think she has more room for improvement as a support character. I don't think just boosting her blight damage is going to help. Ultimately, her blight damage needs to scale with her base damage to really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I feel the stress damage needs to be toned down some, at least in certain cases. I'm grinding low level content for trinkets and my hero lvl 3 crusader's resolve is immediately tested because he saw a crit on a party member and a dumb mob yelled in his face a couple of times.

Now he's fearful and I immediately know I just lost 1000+gold in stress relief just for this bullshit. Oh and god forbid you're out of shovels and you need to use your hands, it's more stressful than seeing the loving prince of darkness apparently. When that happens I just leave the dungeon, because again it's a shitload of gold you're about to lose in relief.