Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Two kills!

Ablative tell your gladiator that if he wants kills he's gonna have to fight the bad guys and not me :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

ChickenWing posted:

Two kills!

Ablative tell your gladiator that if he wants kills he's gonna have to fight the bad guys and not me :mad:

Actually, this raises an interesting question: in the case of friendly fire, who gets awarded the kill?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ablative posted:

Actually, this raises an interesting question: in the case of friendly fire, who gets awarded the kill?

I'll go with "The enemy who was the original target of the attack"

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ablative posted:

I want to say last enemy who dealt serious damage to the now dead guy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

F that, give credit to whoever delivered the killing blow.

You know you want to see a team win 7-0 in a 4v4 fight. :colbert:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

jon joe posted:

I want to say last enemy who dealt serious damage to the now dead guy.

I fought this battle earlier, it was a losing battle. The logs say the last person to touch them gets the kill, so thats the way we're doing it.

I'll try to run a fight later today. No promises though!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I can't even win. gently caress whips, man. If I had a real weapon some of those hits would have actually done something :smith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ablative posted:

Whoever DF awards it to.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I can't even win. gently caress whips, man. If I had a real weapon some of those hits would have actually done something :smith:

Have you considered the wonderful world of scourges?

They're like whips, but sharper!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 8, Fight 3 :siren:

Worse Munki is on the left side of the arena.
Experiment Twenty-Two (fallingdownjoe) is a female tigerman. She wields a copper long sword and a copper shield and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Strangler Than Fiction (Tunicate) is a female strangler. She is empty handed and wears an iron helm, leather armor, a platinum mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and copper low boots.
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM RETURNS (Pittsburgh Lambic) is a male elf. He wields a silver war hammer and wears leather leggings and leather high boots.
Chaz Steadyfist (Segway Rave) is a male werewolf. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears a silver helm, leather armor, leather leggings, and leather gauntlets.

Team Laser Explosion is on the right side of the arena.
Anthony (dasmause) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Mogwai (Dark Off) is a female gremlin. She wields a copper large dagger and a silver buckler and wears no armor.
Molegrim (Maugrim) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper spear and wears a bronze helm, copper gauntlets, and bronze high boots.
Turquoise Tonic (Hihohe) is a male human. He wields a silver mace and wears an iron cap, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.

Worse Munki is a 8.49 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 10041.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1183.00 dwarfbucks for Team Laser Explosion.

In what appears to be normal now, the opening blows seem to show which way the fight is going to go. SRIRACHA slams a hammer down on Mogwai's hand, crushing the tiny gremlins bones. Mogwai drops his dagger. Strangler bites Molegrim's neck, but before he can shake Molegrim takes his leg nearly off, sending the Strangler to the floor.

A second attack from Molegrim breaks Stranglers leg, and he passes out from the pain. I took a screenshot of what I thought was a bad wound to Molegrims neck, but it was just a bite that was released a moment later, so this whole screenshot and explanation could have been removed since it doesnt add anything to the fight but you're still reading this because you're a big dumb animal.

Molegrim finishes off Strangler than Fiction with his next swing.

Experiment 22 and Anthony decide that there isn't room in the arena for two tigermen, so they begin dueling. Blows are blocked, deflected by armor, and nothing exciting happens... Down south Chaz the werewolf slams his halberd into Turquoise's leg. A second scratch takes his ear off.

SRIRACHA takes aim at Molegrim and fractures the huge molemans leg. Anthony finally gets a solid blow against Experiment 22, and Experiment 22 looks sick!

Chaz puts the halberd into Turquoise's upper leg at the same time SRIRACHA fractures another of Molegrims limbs. These two fighters are deadly! Another of Molegrims hands is fractured, and the moleman drops his spear. He becomes enraged, but it's mostly for show.

Chaz drops Turquoise with a chopped up foot, and then SRIRACHA steals the kill by pulping his face. Now it's 3v3 again.

And now we're left with two 2v1's. Both teams have the ability to win this fight. Up top we have Anthony and the weaponless gremlin Mogwai fighting against Experiment 22. Down south we have SRIRACHA and Chaz against an already-hurt Molegrim. Whoever finishes off their opponent first will likely win this fight.

Was there any doubt who would get the first kill? Chaz takes the kill as Molegrim bleeds to death from a huge gash in his chest. Up north Mogwai can't do dick because he has no weapon. He's providing a very good distraction though as Anthony continues to bruise the other Tigerman. Anthony does manage to take off 22's thumb, but that and a bunch of bruises are about all 22 took for damage.

Then the deadly duo do something baffling. They actually split up and SRIRACHA goes after Anthony, while Chaz chases Mogwai around the arena. I could have sworn they would both bee-line one opponent and be dumb.

Mogwai dodges and dodges and dodges and dodges and dodges and dodges and dodges and dodges and dodges. Anthony is not so lucky. SRIRACHA charges and bounces off the larger gladiator, but he definitely got his attention!

Anthony has no other options, so he grabs the nearest object Experiment 22 and throws it at SRIRACHA!

SRIRACHA FARTSTORM_MUNK rolls out of Experiment 22_MUNK's flight path!

SRIRACHA stands up and well...

With a whack whack here and a whack whack there, Anthony is first grounded by a broken leg, then knocked unconscious from pain after his arm is shattered, and then 6 blows to the head finally crush his skull.

Experiment 22 is in pain, bruised from head to toe, and EXTREMELY TIRED. But he moves with SRIRACHA to chase the little gremlin some more.

Looks like there won't be much chasing to be had. Chaz finally gets past the gremlins tiny shield and floors him with a diced right quadricep.

SRIRACHA arrives to pulp an arm of the small gremlin, but Chaz takes his head off in the same second.

Worse Munki is the betting favorite for a reason it seems. A nice 4-1 victory earns peanuts for a return.

Kills:
Molegrim: 1

SRIRACHA FARTSTORM: 2
Chaz Steadyfist: 2

Combat Log

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That was a lot closer than it looks by the end result. Certainly not 8:1 betting material.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Worse Munki has done something no team in arena history has done before*, and that's win seven matches in a row! :black101:

*All previous arena tournaments had no teams fight more than six matches

LorrdErnie posted:

Hmmph. Not proper or right to keep fighting that hard after being stabbed in the kidney... At least I got another kill I suppose.

Edit: It seems like the kill isn't showing up on the arenachallenge website though. It is incorrectly listed as a 4-0 victory for the reds.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Crap. I knew I forgot something.

Little help, Jazz? I dont see a way to fix this on my end.

Should be fixed now.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 22, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Worse Munki have amassed Thirty kills! Chaz Steadyfist accounts for fully half of them to lead the scoreboard, and Sriracha Fartstorm Returns has broken the two digit barrier with 11.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Worse Munki has done something no team in arena history has done before*, and that's win seven matches in a row! :black101:

*All previous arena tournaments had no teams fight more than six matches

God dammit, I got paired with the wrong Munki.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Krysmphoenix posted:

God dammit, I got paired with the wrong Munki.

Don't you dare blame this team's results on me, buddy! :colbert:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

That was a lot closer than it looks by the end result. Certainly not 8:1 betting material.

Honestly I was surprised at the ratio.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Not a lot of confidence in Team Laser Explosion. They are still pretty dangerous though!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

Not a lot of confidence in Team Laser Explosion. They are still pretty dangerous though!

They are the #2 team name.

#1 is Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Ghostwoods, you haven't been to the site or posted in the thread for a while now.

I know it's been a rough season for your team, and I know it may be hard to remain enthusiastic in light of that, and I hate to do this, but I'll have to give jon joe rights to claim your fighter if you don't check in within the next week (168 hours from this post), either in the thread or on the site. That should be more than enough time if you haven't given up completely. Your Lightly Whipped teammates haven't given up hope! :black101:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Ghostwoods, you haven't been to the site or posted in the thread for a while now.

I know it's been a rough season for your team, and I know it may be hard to remain enthusiastic in light of that, and I hate to do this, but I'll have to give jon joe rights to claim your fighter if you don't check in within the next week (168 hours from this post), either in the thread or on the site. That should be more than enough time if you haven't given up completely. Your Lightly Whipped teammates haven't given up hope! :black101:

If this does happen, it looks like my secret plan to sponsor Lightly Whipped into victory will be accelerated!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Worse Munki have amassed Thirty kills! Chaz Steadyfist accounts for fully half of them to lead the scoreboard, and Sriracha Fartstorm Returns has broken the two digit barrier with 11.

My pro strategy - feeding kills to my other teammates - pays off.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
The hard thing about being the best is I'm just dreading the day I change the tiniest thing about my fighter and irrevocably ruin whatever magic is keeping him going.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Segway Rave posted:

The hard thing about being the best is I'm just dreading the day I change the tiniest thing about my fighter and irrevocably ruin whatever magic is keeping him going.

It's because you have an iron weapon and weapon skill, which is a sort of baseline of competence. Shield helps too. Really, testing for decent win-rate against the animists build (dwarf w/ iron spear, wooden shield, skill) should be the baseline for any good build.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Just you wait till next tournament, I'm gonna manage a fighter and he'sgonnabethebestfighterintheworldohyesheis.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I am really regretting my copper sword. Reading through the last few combat logs has been repeated cases of 22 hitting people and being unable to cut through.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I'm kind of amazed the only (none bow) steel weapon in the entire tournament is Uma Thurman's 2h sword. Sooo many cruddy copper, iron and bronze slashing and stabbing weapons failing to penetrate armour.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Steel's typically not a cost-effective purchase early, as most opponents are unlikely to fully deck themselves in iron armor (and those that do will be point starved), but yeah, copper weapons are shite unless you're talking bludgeoning weapon on a big dude.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Powerfrog posted:

I'm kind of amazed the only (none bow) steel weapon in the entire tournament is Uma Thurman's 2h sword. Sooo many cruddy copper, iron and bronze slashing and stabbing weapons failing to penetrate armour.

Steel is really expensive and we aren't getting any points to use! I wanted to upgrade but its just too expensive with a 5x multiplier even for a dagger.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
We'll see massive equipment boosts come the playoffs, though, where everyone will be getting the race's full points.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

jon joe posted:

We'll see massive equipment boosts come the playoffs, though, where everyone will be getting the race's full points.

I am not sure it will be a massive boost.

Thats what? One dagger and 0 points of skill for my antwoman?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Segway Rave posted:

I sympathize; actually testing the FARTSTORM's efficacy with different skill/equipment adjustments is too :effort: so I'm just taking guesses at what it is that makes him a good fighter. Other than the diet of pork rinds.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am not sure it will be a massive boost.

Thats what? One dagger and 0 points of skill for my antwoman?

You should sell the copper daggers and replace them with wooden shields imo.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i choose to evolve my build organically. when killed by a Minotaur bite to the head, I got Albrik a hat. now, nobody attacks his head!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I had a brilliant idea for sn, so I immediately built towards it without testing it, and it turns out that it was more brilliant in my head... and would be nicer with more points.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i thought the gore thing with the tusks would actually be a thing

it isn't

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What's the contact area and velocity of a shield bash, anyway? That info's not in the weapon or shield files.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jon joe posted:

What's the contact area and velocity of a shield bash, anyway? That info's not in the weapon or shield files.

It's not a weapon, so it's just based on its size. I don't know the exact ratio, might even be 1:1. Velocity is presumably 1. Shields are really loving massive, with all that this implies.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I've wanted to upgrade my dwarf to at least one Steel sword but at this point it'll take a while or losing Blender Mode. And how can you Zandatsu without Blender Mode.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

It's not a weapon, so it's just based on its size. I don't know the exact ratio, might even be 1:1. Velocity is presumably 1. Shields are really loving massive, with all that this implies.

Hmm, would it be possible to make an effective shield basher build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jon joe posted:

Hmm, would it be possible to make an effective shield basher build?

Good sir, anything is possible in the arena.