Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kerrrrrrr posted:

This happens in every loving stream that they do. It's infuriating.

Every time I tune in for a class changes stream it's 30 minutes of agonizing rambling over the first three professions and then a mad scramble to fit in the other five (six).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Is the stream still happening?

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
No the stream is over. Besides mentioning severe nerfs for wvw banners there was no discussion of balance at all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

HUGE nerfs to wvw banners.

god loving dammit

Sprite141 posted:

Who the hell would tell you to not waste your time on dragon's stand when you've never done it? It's legit actually cool sorta. Get out and explore/play the zones. The mastery grind isn't bad to get the required poo poo if you do metas like verdant brink and dragon's stand.

Dragons stand is a stupid excessive time investment for a casual player so yeah no one should waste their time on it, and the mastery grind is stupid excessive time investment required as well.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Blasphemeral posted:

Beyond verdant brink, I've barely entered the other new zones. I've been into each one a couple times, but the only things that might compel me to go there are entirely blocked by the hassle.

For example, the adventures are mostly pretty cool... but getting to them through the huge morass of terrible that is the level design isn't worth it. If there were waypoints at or near the start to them, I'd do them more often. That, and having to have it be both (A) day and (B) opened via quest chain, means I can't reliably do them.

I wrote an extensive guide on HoT adventures, which includes instructions on how to get to them and a link to one of the many timer websites that are available to show you when you can play them:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Guide-Adventures-Silver-Gold-and-beyond

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

AnacondaHL posted:

I wrote an extensive guide on HoT adventures, which includes instructions on how to get to them and a link to one of the many timer websites that are available to show you when you can play them:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Guide-Adventures-Silver-Gold-and-beyond

Hey, thanks, I'll check this weekend.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dragons stand is a stupid excessive time investment for a casual player so yeah no one should waste their time on it, and the mastery grind is stupid excessive time investment required as well.
I guess I'm just a silly nolife poopsocker with no perspective, but I was under the impression that even some casual players sometimes played for as much as 90 minutes in one sitting. I mean I think everyone who follows the thread gets that Anet killed the game for you because you're a ~~casual~~ but I don't think there's a need to tell people who want to check out new content that most people enjoy at least the first time to not bother just because you're jaded and disappointed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

I guess I'm just a silly nolife poopsocker with no perspective, but I was under the impression that even some casual players sometimes played for as much as 90 minutes in one sitting. I mean I think everyone who follows the thread gets that Anet killed the game for you because you're a ~~casual~~ but I don't think there's a need to tell people who want to check out new content that most people enjoy at least the first time to not bother just because you're jaded and disappointed.

True, I apologize for that, but I hope you understand why I'm bitter and disappointed with the direction this expansion went.

e: also I'm not poking at you for being a "silly nolife poopsocker" at all

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 22, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
To be fair about the 90 minutes thing, that's also 90 minutes if you happen to log in at the right time to catch the beginning of Dragon's Stand. Having to wait for the two hour map cycle to get to starting a map you like is really annoying, particularly because if you want an actually successful map you need to join an organized map that's taxiing people in and filling the map up, so you generally can't late-join a map that's going to succeed.

If you don't care about what map you play it's not bad because they start about every half hour, but if you want to do a particular map then the hoops you have to jump through kinda suck.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I'd rather they work like silverwastes honestly, set timers blow especially when the event is so long.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I get what they were trying to do with the new maps cause this way you don't have everyone just looking for taxis for maps that are 90% done already, but yeah it blows. I think a better way would have been to do Silverwastes style stuff and emphasize rewards for 'opening' maps, like in Silverwastes someone has to do the poo poo job of sitting on a map defending Amber and sitting at 1/4 until the bar gets to like 30% and people start actually coming in and helping. Give really good rewards to those people

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 23, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all i can say is that HoT really comes off as a 'first expansion' pretty hard, so it'll be interesting to see what they've learned for the second one.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

"Mashed Potato man posted:

This afternoon I singlehandedly derailed an entire Dragon Stand map and deprived somewhere around a hundred people of their hard-earned loot.
It started with a pot of mashed potatoes.
Me, being the fantastic multitasker I am, decided that I would make packet mashed potatoes while I followed South commander slowly down the path. I had some time to get the water to boil so I set that on the stove, tossed in some butter and got back to the game. South got to the gate (last, as usual) and I hopped into the boss squad while everyone was getting sorted out for the zerg.
I quickly darted back to the stove to add the potatoes now that the water was boiling and got back in time to start the run. Figuring I had plenty of time and I'd done it before, I volunteered to be the guy to kite the boss around to keep him out of the zerg and killing everyone.
Which went fine, mostly. The collectors got dead, the boss got burnt to 50% before a preserver got uppity and revived one of the collectors, so I was back to kiting while everyone cleared the field again. So far so good.
Except I accidentally put the stove up too high - which I really should have realized after how fast the water boiled - and was suddenly greeted by shouting from my brother telling me that my potatoes were exploding. Frantically running to the edge of the boss platform so that he would take as long as possible to kill me, I dashed back to the stove to contain the molten tuber paste before it plastered the ceiling with boiling starch.
In an ill-advised attempt to curtail the bubbling and popping occurring deep within the potatoes, I added more milk to the mixture, only to find that made everything so much worse. Backpedaling, I added even more potatoes, until finally they were somehow transformed from a bubbling tar of pyroclastic root vegetable into something that looked reasonably edible.
Then I remembered that I was supposed to be keeping the Hareth out of the zerg.
Removing the pot from the stove, I ran back to the game in a panic, only to find the entire map devolving into chaos. Hareth had handily flattened me, strolled down the ramp into the bustling zerg below, and indiscriminately slaughtered them all in a single, graceful spinning axe pirouette.
South completely fell apart, had to reset some three odd times, North couldn't hold off the preservers for so long and Adryn respawned when a collector reset, Mid was barely clinging on and losing ground quickly, map chat was Heart of the Mists-level name calling and finger pointing, and I had four times as much mashed potatoes as I intended to make.
It was a complete and total loss, but I accidentally made dinner for the whole family, so it could have probably been worse.
Sorry Dragon's Stand

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I switched to a short bow to try it and accidentally put my old bow through the mats blender and it's horrible and I hate it. It's got no dps, partly because I went marksman, and it's also got no ranged AOE. I've just done the level 60 personal story line that took loving forever because the mobs are immune to stun and kept poisoning my pet and I couldn't get close enough to use the big sword because if I did they killed me. One part of it with the undead ship and the beach took so god drat long my 50% 2 hour XP boost had run out before I got the big XP reward. gently caress short bows.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

This is beautiful and this person is a complete moron at cooking.

When things are over boiling, take them off the heat you dingus. Just yank the pot off the stove by the handle and it'll stop going crazy within a few seconds.

Johnny Joestar posted:

all i can say is that HoT really comes off as a 'first expansion' pretty hard, so it'll be interesting to see what they've learned for the second one.

:agreed:

And from what I remember people saying, the first GW1 xpac was pretty mediocre and the second one was really good, so here's to cautious optimism!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

True, I apologize for that, but I hope you understand why I'm bitter and disappointed with the direction this expansion went.

e: also I'm not poking at you for being a "silly nolife poopsocker" at all

Yeah, honestly I understand as well. Truth is there has been a lot of stupid poo poo, but the dude sounded like he didn't even try. I mean, I'm casual as gently caress but by running around unlocking elite specs and doing the story I managed to get the basic masteries needed to do most of the stuff in HoT. But yeah yeah mastery gating, while a neat idea, is really loving poorly done and takes way too drat long.

Hell I've kinda barely made any progress into anything other than the story. What anet has done with collections, and basically everything in the game now, being so hugely time and money gated makes this poo poo super hard for people who don't have time to play.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Magres posted:

And from what I remember people saying, the first GW1 xpac was pretty mediocre and the second one was really good, so here's to cautious optimism!

You'll need a mastery to buy the 2nd expansion

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

This is like a metaphor for the HoT expansion.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Magres posted:

I think you'll find that the first GW1 expansion was in fact the best.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love it :allears:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Blasphemeral posted:

Beyond verdant brink, I've barely entered the other new zones. I've been into each one a couple times, but the only things that might compel me to go there are entirely blocked by the hassle.

For example, the adventures are mostly pretty cool... but getting to them through the huge morass of terrible that is the level design isn't worth it. If there were waypoints at or near the start to them, I'd do them more often. That, and having to have it be both (A) day and (B) opened via quest chain, means I can't reliably do them.

Another example was Mordremoth. I've wanted to try the Dragon's Stand meta multiple times, but whenever I go there the zone is deserted and whenever I ask in GChat everyone's all "nah, don't waste your time." :shrug:

I'm using Tempest just because it's so good, but I don't think the price of the expansion can be justified just by the elite spec.

When I got to Tangled Depths I was immediately like "I loving despise this sadistic hell maze", but really that's kind of in the name. I think the level design is actually really high-quality after getting more familiar with the maps. Getting more movement masteries and learning the shortcuts makes it really fast to cross the maps and it's actually mastering game mechanics, not just unlocking more teleports. I enjoy being engaged as I move through a zone and not just drooling on my W button. Even things like the elite mobs everywhere are good at evoking "hey there are serious threats in this zone gotta be careful". HoT feels like actual environments that are threatening and challenging instead of skins on a theme park where you teleport everywhere and hit dumb easy things.

ANET definitely needs to unfuck their server sharding on DS though. DS is basically a map that's a huge, 2 hour world boss, and in the same way as the rest of the world bosses everybody just floods a few maps to capacity the second it resets and the megaserver just keeps spawning empty shitter instances. All the DS maps share the same 2 hour timer so you have to either snipe a spot in LFG really fast or actively fill your own map out through LFG, which takes like 5-10 minutes because everybody else is trying to snipe a spot too. It's dumb and once you know how to get into a viable map it's not even particularly hard, you just have to wait for the reset. DS itself owns bones and is super fun, it's worth doing at least once.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

CLAM DOWN posted:

stupid excessive time investment required

Can this be the new thread title?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Would be a good nominee for the saltiest thread title in the sub.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another fun thing with dragonstand is (or was?) how it will think a map is too empty despite having 3 full squads running events and will ask everyone to leave and if you don't leave, in 1 hour it will reset to a fresh map.

I've had it reset multiple times at mordremoth, right before his delayed death animation.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I've done it 3 or 4 times now and it was fun every time :shrug:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Have Anet said what their plan is for elite specs in future expansions? Are they going to give every class another elite spec with each expansion?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Shab posted:

Have Anet said what their plan is for elite specs in future expansions? Are they going to give every class another elite spec with each expansion?

Anet intends to add more elite specs at some vague point in the future, and they will definitely follow through on that. Probably.

Maybe.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Various Meat Prod. posted:

Anet intends to add more elite specs at some vague point in the future, and they will definitely follow through on that. Probably.

Maybe.

Sounds cool. It's a good way to still have character progression without invalidating Your Gearscore

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Another fun thing with dragonstand is (or was?) how it will think a map is too empty despite having 3 full squads running events and will ask everyone to leave and if you don't leave, in 1 hour it will reset to a fresh map.

I've had it reset multiple times at mordremoth, right before his delayed death animation.

This might be related, but when I quest in Verdant Brink (maybe in all new zones), I get the "switch to a fuller map" more frequently than in the old zones. It's kind of annoying because sometimes I switch, then 10 min later (sometimes earlier) it wants me to switch again.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Please don't whisper me about a secret goon raid guild that gear checks i'm not in it and have no control over it.

-A thank you-

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eww that sounds gross

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That sounds like something someone who's in and has control over a secret goon raid guild that gear checks would say.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Dude who runs that poo poo doesn't even have a forums account.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

Visidan posted:

Please don't whisper me about a secret goon raid guild that gear checks i'm in it and we dont care about you subhuman casuals

-A thank you-

quoting it before the raiding goon Illuminati squelch the truth

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Poniard posted:

Dude who runs that poo poo doesn't even have a forums account.

Well I for one certainly would not advocate making use of this to plan shenanigans. I haven't griefed anyone in a very long time, because I now know this is wrong, and my previous actions in online games were reprehensible and I humbly apologize to anyone who may have been affected by anything that I may have done.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Well I for one certainly would not advocate making use of this to plan shenanigans. I haven't griefed anyone in a very long time, because I now know this is wrong, and my previous actions in online games were reprehensible and I humbly apologize to anyone who may have been affected by anything that I may have done.

Uhhhhhhhh

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm confused too

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

What the hell

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Ping legendary armor or gkick. This is a no fun zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:(

I was a total sod online in my 20s, my default first thought is that if someone is doing something sneaky that people don't approve of is to mess with them is all.

• Locked thread