Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Plom Bar posted:

Warren expo-dumping the bit about Chaos Theory was a textbook example of contrived writing.

Ok, this is me nitpicking a little here, but I keep seeing Warren's conversation in the diner brought up as a complaint against Episode 5 in this context, and... it's just completely counter to my experience in the game, and I'm wondering if it's because I picked different dialogue choices from everyone else or just interpreted everything differently.

For one, the first person to mention Chaos Theory as a possible cause for the storm in my playthrough wasn't Warren. It was Chloe. In episode 2. When she drops Max off at Blackwell after the junkyard adventures. (Maybe again in episode 3 before the Blackwell infiltration, but my memory is less clear on that.)

Even in the diner, the person to posit that Max was the cause of the storm wasn't Warren, but Max. Max tells Warren of her time powers, wonders if she's the cause of the storm, and he responds with his "I dunno maybe? Actions and reactions etc" spiel. He wasn't dumping some new, unreferenced theory out of the blue in my game, but was offering a tertiary agreement with Max and Chloe's fears that Max's power was related to the storm.

I've played through most of the game multiple times to see different reactions to major decisions, but I never paid that much attention to varying my minor dialogue choices that much. Did other players really get to the diner scene and have Warren be the first person to suggest a link between the storm and Max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Huh. I honestly didn't know so many people hated Episode 5 so much. I mean, even if you didn't like the ending I thought the rest of it would have been well-liked.

The people who don't like it are usually sperglords from various forums who are annoyed that the ending didn't match with the fan fiction they had already written in their heads. These are the same type of people who complained about the game breaking the "rules" of time travel.

Normal people enjoyed the game for what it was. I haven't seen a single article /review in the gaming press that complained about the ending nor have I heard any complaints from people I've seen talking about the game on social media etc.

Enjoy the good thing assholes.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

spudsbuckley posted:

Remember when not liking The Phantom Menace was the minority opinion?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

spudsbuckley posted:

The people who don't like it are usually sperglords from various forums who are annoyed that the ending didn't match with the fan fiction they had already written in their heads. These are the same type of people who complained about the game breaking the "rules" of time travel.

Normal people enjoyed the game for what it was. I haven't seen a single article /review in the gaming press that complained about the ending nor have I heard any complaints from people I've seen talking about the game on social media etc.

Ah yes, the ever infallible gaming press

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

I don't think that's true, actually.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not that it proves poo poo, but I gifted the game to a bunch of non gamer-y people for Christmas and the ending got unanimous praise (all Baysavers incidentally). The only thing they didn't like was the bottle search.

One of them said it was the best videogame he'd ever played.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Not that it proves poo poo, but I gifted the game to a bunch of non gamer-y people for Christmas and the ending got unanimous praise (all Baysavers incidentally). The only thing they didn't like was the bottle search.

Clearly, they haven't played the actual best game, which is Undertale. Or Tetris.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
I was only mildly disappointed that they went with the obvious ending at first, then a bunch of minor things in hindsight made me declare the ending "bad". There's no epilogue for the Bay ending, despite the fact that you ostensibly chose this ending because you care about these people. Character arcs are clumsy (Nathan's tacked-on phone call, Victoria falls off the face of the plot, etc.) The game gets weepy as hell (in the nightmare diner Stella tells you "I survived poverty and an abusive family, does that give you the feels???" and it's just ughhhh). The game includes random poo poo for no reason while failing to follow up on the things I felt were most interesting (Samuel is one of the two authority figures in the game who Max actually likes, yet both him and Wells come running from their last bout of relevance in episode 1 to be vaguely menacing even though we've already solved the big mystery. Samuel even brings up the scarf for no reason other than I guess some fans made some theories about it??) The episode kind of has a problem with dumb injokes as well.

It's not super cohesive or satisfying, and the episode as a whole goes back and forth between neat ideas and spinning its wheels. The ending isn't impossible to reconcile with the previous episodes it's just...not very compelling.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Even the people in the thread complaining about the ending still generally thought it was a great game.

Oddly enough, the bottle search never really bothered me the first time I played through, and I only found out people didn't like it afterwards. :v:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Throughout most of the game I greatly enjoyed Life is Strange, but more the narrative than the more gameplay oriented parts. The ending itself I don't think of as something appalling, but the binary choice makes whatever I decided earlier essentially void, so it feels strange in games in which "The actions have consequences" is uses as a selling point. I can make Max not care for Chloe as much as the narrative lets me, but in the end, nothing really matters. It's not bad, I just expected better - and not a choice, really, but something that'd be realized organically by my prior decisions, even if in the form of event flags or triggers, as was the case with the Kate event.

And the "time travel is bad" in a game in which I literally cannot progress without using it for minor events and had done more good than harm with it is a somewhat weak moral and falls apart as soon as the epilogue starts, since you still have the power.

Oh well, one can't have everything.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The voice actor for Jefferson also couldn't really pull off the "Now I'm loving evil and love to talk about how evil I am" dialogue, which made it more silly than creepy. Him silently filling the syringe in the trailer for episode 5 was way more effective than anything he actually said in Episode 5 proper.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

spudsbuckley posted:

No.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Max posted:

The voice actor for Jefferson also couldn't really pull off the "Now I'm loving evil and love to talk about how evil I am" dialogue, which made it more silly than creepy. Him silently filling the syringe in the trailer for episode 5 was way more effective than anything he actually said in Episode 5 proper.
To be fair to the guy, I doubt even consummate bad guy VAs such as Tony Jay and Tim Curry could have made Jefferson threatening with the lines DONTNOD gave him.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

To be fair to the guy, I doubt even consummate bad guy VAs such as Tony Jay and Tim Curry could have made Jefferson threatening with the lines DONTNOD gave him.
Myselfie

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Max posted:

This is another thing that makes me think DN just winged it at the end, the poor guy didn't even know he was supposed to be a psycho serial killer. If that had been planned out they surely would have hired someone who could play a hipster professor and do a good murderous psychopath too.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well even if he didn't know I don't think the psycho killer thing was a last minute thing. They foreshadowed that pretty hard in the first couple minutes, even though they let it sit for a long time after that.

Edit: Not to say he was a super well thought out villain or anything, with his moustache twirling bullshit but it was planned from the beginning at least. Probably.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 21, 2016

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The twist with Jefferson was worth it for the hilarious amount of ways in which an ex-military security guard could completely botch fighting an art teacher.

"David, kick the table!"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The Bee posted:

The twist with Jefferson was worth it for the hilarious amount of ways in which an ex-military security guard could completely botch fighting an art teacher.

"David, kick the table!"

This whole sequence was loving baffling, David is a vet of at least one of the mid east wars but for some reason he is absolutely incapable of clearing a two room bunker of an art teacher.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

In his defense the initial braining he gets, Jefferson gets the drop on him. For the others uhhhhhhhhhh theresdirtinhiseyesokbye

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Did anybody else buy a second copy? I wanted that soundtrack and artbook, plus I'll get a platinum when I replay on PS4. Planning to bug my friends endlessly to check this game out since I'll have a copy for them.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Xinlum posted:

Did anybody else buy a second copy? I wanted that soundtrack and artbook, plus I'll get a platinum when I replay on PS4. Planning to bug my friends endlessly to check this game out since I'll have a copy for them.

Yo.

I have lost all control of my life and I am making chocolate pudding at 4 in the morning.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Xinlum posted:

Right there with you. Fuckin' loved this game.

Plom Bar posted:

Yo.

I have lost all control of my life and I am making chocolate pudding at 4 in the morning.

Sounds like you made the right choice. Baking over Bed.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm also a proud purchaser of a LE copy even after owning it on steam.

And I'm making chili at midnight on a work night.

I was will be eating those beans!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Glagha posted:

In his defense the initial braining he gets, Jefferson gets the drop on him. For the others uhhhhhhhhhh theresdirtinhiseyesokbye

I was tremendously confused that the solution was not telling him Jefferson was loving standing next to the door.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm having a real problem every time Nathan shows up. Am I triggered by rich entitled assholes who are completely untouchable no matter what they do?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I'm having a real problem every time Nathan shows up. Am I triggered by rich entitled assholes who are completely untouchable no matter what they do?

He's not untouchable :wink:

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Cool interview with Co-Director Michel Koch about the game. It talks about the development and answers questions about various stuff such a why the "bad" ending was short.

https://soundcloud.com/kindafunnygames/life-is-strange-spoilercast-kinda-funny-gamescast-special

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Robiben posted:

Cool interview with Co-Director Michel Koch about the game. It talks about the development and answers questions about various stuff such a why the "bad" ending was short.

https://soundcloud.com/kindafunnygames/life-is-strange-spoilercast-kinda-funny-gamescast-special

Is there a transcript or something that doesn't require listening to an hour long podcast?

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is there a transcript or something that doesn't require listening to an hour long podcast?

I feel like an hour isn't that long for a podcast but I just had it one while I was washing dishes. Multi-Tasking!

Also got my limited edition today. Its good!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It's a good podcast and Greg Miller didn't even knock over a single beer can. Recommended for the insights.

Back to the actual game, has anyone noticed any little changes since the latest patch? I've seen a couple people mention things like new messages on the dorm slates or certain items like the eggs being repositioned, which is... odd.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Szurumbur posted:

He's not untouchable :wink:

Ugh, I've already decided my Max is totally gaybones for Chloe.

Maybe Victoria too.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

The question specifically about the short ending is posed at around the 30 minute mark. The two main points about it are:
  • They wanted to drive the point home that after you've decided that your future with Chloe is worth flattening the town, that that's the kind of decision you can't look back on. It's done, and now you have that future to go to.
  • The player's experience up to that point shapes how they perceive Max and Chloe's relationship to be, and so providing definitive closure as to what happens next with them would take away some of the player's ability to craft that image for themselves. Essentially, they wanted it left up to the player.
I know some one said that an answer like this would be a copout, but listening to the whole thing, coupled with the director's commentary, actually makes me inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Plom Bar posted:

The question specifically about the short ending is posed at around the 30 minute mark. The two main points about it are:
  • They wanted to drive the point home that after you've decided that your future with Chloe is worth flattening the town, that that's the kind of decision you can't look back on. It's done, and now you have that future to go to.
  • The player's experience up to that point shapes how they perceive Max and Chloe's relationship to be, and so providing definitive closure as to what happens next with them would take away some of the player's ability to craft that image for themselves. Essentially, they wanted it left up to the player.
I know some one said that an answer like this would be a copout, but listening to the whole thing, coupled with the director's commentary, actually makes me inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not me, unfortunately. In the end, your story has to stand on its own. If you give a half assed ending, you can't make up for it with excuses that have to be found externally and which only a small fraction of your audience will ever know about.

Even then, saying 'now you get to make up their ending for yourself' is just lazy bullshit. If I wanted to make up stories for myself, I wouldn't have bought the story that someone else made.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Just finished the game last night. I originally played episode 1 when it came out and then waited until a few days ago to play episodes 2-5.

Personally I loved the ending and I'm a little surprised there's so much controversy over it which I don't quite understand. I thought it was obvious what they were going for in the two decisions they give you: either hold on to your childhood by staying with Chloe along with all the baggage that comes with it (I interpreted that the world would still be hosed up even after the tornado, with possibly more extreme consequences after...you don't know!) or realize you can't fix things through time travel and the need to move on with your life by letting Chloe die (which would also retroactively fix the world itself because reasons). Sort of like holding onto childhood dreams or recognizing and embracing cold reality. Maybe it's because I played the game all at once and didn't grow as attached to the characters and others clearly have.

The ending definitely goes along with the theme of the game (at least for me) which is the experience: Choices the game forces you to make and situations you probably haven't been in before (the game should have a trigger warning for a lot of it's stuff though...jesus).
It was surprisingly hard to choose whether to kill Chloe when she was disabled, even if I knew I could undo it after.
Also the sequence to save Kate from her suicide (its interesting that I found it much easier for Max to be empathetic with other characters after that point).
I found it weird that people took Mr. Jefferson in the dark room as more of a comic book villain. It's one of the scariest things to experience someone you trust and respect as much as Max did with him to take advantage of you, especially in such a hosed up way.
Also finding someone you love and have been searching for to be dead and buried in a junkyard.

Were there narrative holes in the ending? gently caress yes there were, but I didn't really care (I could give two shits about time travel...I just found it to be an interesting gameplay mechanic which also provided interesting consequences to the narrative). The choice between holding onto something even if you know (or maybe you don't recognize) it won't work (saving Chloe) or recognizing something that you love and desperately want cannot be and moving on (not saving Chloe) is more interesting to me than an iron-clad narrative.

For a moment, though, I thought the game was going to take a much darker and hosed up twist that truly would have surprised me, which occurred during the nightmare scene when Max was talking with herself in the booth. At the end of their discussion, booth Max looks at her camera and smiles. I thought an alter-ego Max was loving with the player Max by taking her own pictures and time traveling in order to: force her to be caught with Mr. Jefferson for whatever reason...maybe for a photo entry? Something else? which is why she's caught in this nightmare web and would need to overcome some darker aspects of herself. But it didn't turn out to be that ways so

But yeah, I found the game made me care enough about the characters so that those decisions and situations were hard to experience but I didn't feel the need for the ending to be more than it was.

On a side note, I finished episodes 2 and 3 the night before classes began. After class, I spoke to the professor who knew me and he was like "are you ok? It looks like you don't want to be in this class compared to the one I taught last semester" (probably thought I didn't like him) and I was like "What? oh, no, it's just early...hah..". I guess the game affected me more than I thought.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just finished. Episode 5 sucks up until the lighthouse. It doesn't suck bad enough to magically negate how great the rest of the game is.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Flattened Spoon posted:

I guess the game affected me more than I thought.

Life is Strange in a nutshell.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Just finished. Episode 5 sucks up until the lighthouse. It doesn't suck bad enough to magically negate how great the rest of the game is.

This is the correct opinion. Hell I even liked the second half of Episode 4.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Plom Bar posted:

This is the correct opinion. Hell I even liked the second half of Episode 4.
I'd call Episode 4 "uneven." There are good moments in that back half but they're couched in some kinda dumb stuff.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ideally your choices throughout the game should have impacted what ending options were available to you, and we'd receive at least a couple additional outcomes that unlocked or were locked out based on those choices. Probably beyond the scope of their budget however.

Knowing the limiting budget, I would have been happy if the endings included a few throwaway scenes or nods to things you had done throughout the game- even just small clips that may or may not appear in the ending based on your choices. But as it stands literally nothing you did mattered up until the point where you make the final decision, and that's what bugged me about the ending. Everyone dies, or you undo everything you've done. Nothing you did mattered.

Imagine you sink a lot of effort into an RPG, powering up your characters for the final confrontation. You've really invested in your characters and the effort of preparing for this confrontation. And then you discover you can't lose to the final boss (and there are no special secret bosses either! Gasp!). Wouldn't you feel a little cheated? Yu Yevon flashback

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Max's growth as a character relies on what you did throughout your playthrough. Your choices mattered to her, even if the timeline is reset.

• Locked thread