Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

Property rights are dumb and the state owns, sorry.

This and the "watermelon fucker" rant from Mr. NYT Bestseller, aren't these explicity forbidden in forum rules? No matter how many pages back I go, it's just people talking poo poo on this Jrod.

Now I've at least gathered he's an anarchist, so he's not my brand of libertarian. I'm for states. But I don't see any discussing going on. Even if Jrod is ignoring you people, he doesn't seem to be uncivil, yet Mr. NYT Bestseller is resorting to the most base insults and this guy I'm replying to isn't even making an argument. At least he's sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Promontorium posted:

This and the "watermelon fucker" rant from Mr. NYT Bestseller, aren't these explicity forbidden in forum rules? No matter how many pages back I go, it's just people talking poo poo on this Jrod.

Now I've at least gathered he's an anarchist, so he's not my brand of libertarian. I'm for states. But I don't see any discussing going on. Even if Jrod is ignoring you people, he doesn't seem to be uncivil, yet Mr. NYT Bestseller is resorting to the most base insults and this guy I'm replying to isn't even making an argument. At least he's sorry.

Do you have any intentions beyond bitching about how we treat Jrod? Because if not save yourself the trouble and just :frogout:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Promontorium posted:

I'm a libertarian. I don't see anything wrong with insurance or ports. Where's your straw man now?

Probably the other website where StandardVC10 mentioned this discussion happened.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Promontorium posted:

So he's not actively insulting us, therefore he should be treated with the respect he won't give us?

Nah

gently caress that, gently caress him, and gently caress you

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Promontorium posted:

You are like a guy just hearing about whats going on in Syria who decides to say "Whoa whoa, why is everyone so mad at this Assad guy, all this violence seems a little extreme."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Literally The Worst posted:

So he's not actively insulting us,

He is actually.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

You know what I mean, shut up

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh, it's some bullshit about fraternal aid societies again, I guess. I don't really care, but I feel like we've been over this before. Here's a question: what happens when the Great Depression hits, everyone needs the help of these charitable societies, and no one has any spare money to put into them?

Everyone is born without any money at all. New nations are formed without any money at all. Take 10, 100, 1000 people with absolutely no money or possessions and drop them into a jungle or something, do they all just magically die because they don't have currency?

There is no scenario where there's literally no means of giving or sharing. I appreciate the comfort of a government that can spontaneously send out paper and call it money, but money is at its heart merely representation of value. It's a proxy. Things of actual value are always within the means of people who can still work.

Would a society with only charity do worse in helping people out than a society that taxes and prints money? That's a good question that you didn't ask, but I'll assume it's what you were getting at. I would point to our actual great depression. What did the government do for the people in the dust bowl? They had to abandon their homes and give up everything to work their asses off elsewhere. And that was under the most progressive government expansionist president we've had. Don't go acting like taxes and government spending is so neato. I live in California. The most taxed and regulated state in America. We've been this way for decades. I don't see the utopia they keep spending on.

You're quick to abandon free will, but I don't see the golden alternative. In modern days I see what government aid does for Africa, nothing but billions to dictators. Meanwhile people like Bill Gates and Manoj Bhargava are changing people's lives for the better, of their own will and of their own wealth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Promontorium posted:

Anyone who thinks there should be a state at all is an apostate, as far as every single influential thinker in the American libertarian movement is concerned. Unless they are sympathetic to white supremacists, in which case libertarianism suddenly becomes a "big tent" movement.

So which is it? Are you a statist, or are you a white supremacist?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you drop a bunch of people in the jungle with nothing they will probably die yes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I just want to know what book Caros wrote and until proven otherwise I'm assuming he's Dan Brown

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Promontorium posted:

Everyone is born without any money at all. New nations are formed without any money at all. Take 10, 100, 1000 people with absolutely no money or possessions and drop them into a jungle or something, do they all just magically die because they don't have currency?

There is no scenario where there's literally no means of giving or sharing. I appreciate the comfort of a government that can spontaneously send out paper and call it money, but money is at its heart merely representation of value. It's a proxy. Things of actual value are always within the means of people who can still work.

Would a society with only charity do worse in helping people out than a society that taxes and prints money? That's a good question that you didn't ask, but I'll assume it's what you were getting at. I would point to our actual great depression. What did the government do for the people in the dust bowl? They had to abandon their homes and give up everything to work their asses off elsewhere. And that was under the most progressive government expansionist president we've had. Don't go acting like taxes and government spending is so neato. I live in California. The most taxed and regulated state in America. We've been this way for decades. I don't see the utopia they keep spending on.

You're quick to abandon free will, but I don't see the golden alternative. In modern days I see what government aid does for Africa, nothing but billions to dictators. Meanwhile people like Bill Gates and Manoj Bhargava are changing people's lives for the better, of their own will and of their own wealth.

California is the hatching ground for Ronald Reagan, the libertarian cyborg created to infiltrate the government and destroy it. If you're going to complain about government not working properly, perhaps you should pick somewhere where there is not a huge plurality of your crypto-libertarian republican compatriots attempting to sabotage public works.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Promontorium posted:

This is a bunch of rambling bullshit that doesn't actually address the post you quoted, probably because you don't seem to really understand what it's talking about.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't understand all these hateful words, even though I'm not myself a particularly doctrinaire libertarian. Incidentally, does government work at all? Maybe we should burn it to the ground and cede all control of society to benevolent kings who became billionaires by ripping off DOS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Promontorium posted:

Take 10, 100, 1000 people with absolutely no money or possessions and drop them into a jungle or something, do they all just magically die because they don't have currency?

The vast majority or all of them will absolutely die, and horribly, yes.

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

SedanChair posted:

You're not a libertarian.

Oh.

paragon1 posted:

You are like a guy just hearing about whats going on in Syria who decides to say "Whoa whoa, why is everyone so mad at this Assad guy, all this violence seems a little extreme."

Maybe. But then shouldn't he be banned? Or is this as lawless as Syria?

gently caress that, gently caress him, and gently caress you

I feel so much sympathy for you. You are just inundating me with logic and reason. I have attacked no one. Insulted no one. Have only attempted to make sense of all the hate and throw in my opinion, and every other reply is "gently caress you" and "gently caress off". You're not making your case. I'm not Jrod. But don't go pretending you have any good will, or even an idea in your head if you immediately flame and poo poo on me the moment I step into this discussion.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Promontorium posted:

He was banned. More than once!

EDIT

And I've told you this. More than once!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Promontorium posted:

Oh.

I feel so much sympathy for you. You are just inundating me with logic and reason. I have attacked no one. Insulted no one. Have only attempted to make sense of all the hate and throw in my opinion, and every other reply is "gently caress you" and "gently caress off". You're not making your case. I'm not Jrod. But don't go pretending you have any good will, or even an idea in your head if you immediately flame and poo poo on me the moment I step into this discussion.

You came in here and immediately decided we were all in the wrong and looked down your nose at us and went "shame on you" and even now you're acting like your poo poo doesn't stink

Get bent, shithead

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Promontorium posted:

Maybe. But then shouldn't he be banned?

You're no fun, you know that?

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

Who What Now posted:

The vast majority or all of them will absolutely die, and horribly, yes.

OK then I'll modify it to be Hawaii pre colonization. Nobody would die. Doesn't change my argument. The point was even in an extreme situation survival is possible. In reality, even in the fall of a nation and the complete abandonment of a currency, people still work and get things done. Look at the middle east and Africa. It's far more extreme and still people are working and getting things done. Is there a tipping point? Certainly. But it's not the moment the government stops printing money. That's my only point. Charity exists, and helps.

GunnerJ posted:

This is a bunch of rambling bullshit that doesn't actually address the post you quoted, probably because you don't seem to really understand what it's talking about.
I do not agree. But you have written nothing here for me to defend or discuss, just insults.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"I haven't called you any names I've just said you're all harassing this guy who keeps showing up where it is blatantly obvious he isn't wanted and doing the same behavior over and over again, behavior that he has actually been punished for by the moderation, and now I'm going to talk down to you like I'm the Virgin Mary, without so much as original sin to sully me like you mere mortals"

rear end in a top hat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How about you take the stick out of your rear end, use it to fill in the chip on your shoulder, and try again, junior

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Bill Gates gave a money, now Africans have a well. Maybe we should end Medicare and Social Security

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

You came in here and immediately decided we were all in the wrong and looked down your nose at us and went "shame on you" and even now you're acting like your poo poo doesn't stink

Get bent, shithead

Only if you think it was YOU specifically I was referring to. And, since all you've done is say "gently caress you" and "get bent, shithead" to me, I don't exactly see how the assessment is wrong. I asked questions. I came honestly. I didn't make any judgement to right or wrong. And my "poo poo doesn't stink" attitude you've summed up from 3 or 4 posts, is because I know I am new, and I have enough respect to tread more lightly. You have shown no respect, nor intellect.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Promontorium posted:

You're getting flamed for being a smarmy condescending self-righteous rear end in a top hat. hth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Promontorium posted:

Only if you think it was YOU specifically I was referring to. And, since all you've done is say "gently caress you" and "get bent, shithead" to me, I don't exactly see how the assessment is wrong. I asked questions. I came honestly. I didn't make any judgement to right or wrong. And my "poo poo doesn't stink" attitude you've summed up from 3 or 4 posts, is because I know I am new, and I have enough respect to tread more lightly. You have shown no respect, nor intellect.

Talking down to people isn't treading lightly, retard

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank you, random new guy, for deigning to show us the error of our ways, for lo have we wallowed in ignorance and blasphemy against libertarianism and it's prophet, Jrode, for these many years

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

You're getting flamed for being a smarmy condescending self-righteous rear end in a top hat. hth

GunnerJ posted:

You say that. But you also refuse to engage in any intellectual discourse. So you are basically saying the only way you'll stop being assholes, is if I'm an rear end in a top hat and I just say dumb poo poo and flame with you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Promontorium posted:

I do not agree. But you have written nothing here for me to defend or discuss, just insults.

Nothing in my post was an insult. I just said that what you wrote is rambling non-responsive bullshit. That's my honest impression of your reply. If you don't feel like "defending or discussing" that, you could try putting more effort into understanding the subject you're trying to argue about maybe? Just a thought.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Promontorium posted:

You keep asking questions without ever acknowledging the answers we're giving. Just like... Jrod... Wait a minute. You don't sell Blu-Ray's do you?!

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Rightwing libertarianism is an inherently delusional, psuedo-religious belief that has abnormal overlap with conspiracy theorists and white supremacists in real life. We make fun of conspiracy theorists and white supremacists, making fun of libertarians is just being consistent.

Jrod is somewhat notorious for posting on internet forums and then being banned. He's been doing the same poo poo for loving years and has never learned.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Promontorium posted:

You say that. But you also refuse to engage in any intellectual discourse. So you are basically saying the only way you'll stop being assholes, is if I'm an rear end in a top hat and I just say dumb poo poo and flame with you.

Serious question have you read any of Caros' many posts going line by line through jrodes word salad and arguing with it only to be ignored

And you're already being an rear end in a top hat, you just don't think you are because you haven't said any mean words, because you're a loving child with a child's understanding of social interaction

Promontorium
Jan 9, 2016

Talking down to people isn't treading lightly, retard

I honestly did not intend to talk down to you. You just happen to be so low that even while I'm on the ground, you're looking up. There. Now I have insulted you too. Are you done being a dumbfuck? Or is this literally all you're capable of?

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
If you go back a few pages, you should be able to find a wealth of discussion about private charity and mutual aid societies. I think you might have better luck engaging with the specific arguments people have already made regarding how those things worked out historically.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Promontorium posted:

Actually acknowledging the non-trolls and shitposts would actually help you a lot more. Like how I've explained that Jrod has been banned multiple times.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Promontorium posted:

I honestly did not intend to talk down to you. You just happen to be so low that even while I'm on the ground, you're looking up. There. Now I have insulted you too. Are you done being a dumbfuck? Or is this literally all you're capable of?

This isn't even a good insult cockmonkey

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Promontorium posted:

You say that. But you also refuse to engage in any intellectual discourse.

False, at no point have I refused to do any such thing. Furthermore, I have actually offered my good faith criticism of your contributions, such as, "it's rambling non-responsive bullshit." Now, this might hurt your feelings, but it's directly addressing the things you are saying. You may not agree, but the way to deal with that is to come up with something substantial and on-point, not this holier-than-thou bitching and moaning.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 24, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"I'm not talking down to you, you're just beneath me. But that's not an insult I have to call you a name for that to happe "

This is literally how a child views the world

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Promontorium posted:

OK then I'll modify it to be Hawaii pre colonization. Nobody would die. Doesn't change my argument. The point was even in an extreme situation survival is possible. In reality, even in the fall of a nation and the complete abandonment of a currency, people still work and get things done. Look at the middle east and Africa. It's far more extreme and still people are working and getting things done. Is there a tipping point? Certainly. But it's not the moment the government stops printing money. That's my only point. Charity exists, and helps.

Nobody here has claimed that charity doesn't help. Many, myself included, would claim that charity doesn't and cannot do nearly enough to cover everything beneficial that government does. And that charities become much less able to help in an economic depression due to a lower rate of funding crashing into a higher rate of need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Promontorium posted:

Yo! You want intellectual discourse without any insults? Fine. I'll offer to go three rounds with you, in a semi-formal written debate. Proposition, response, counter-response. Quick and easy. You up for it?

• Locked thread