Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I knew No Country For Old Men wasn’t meant to be McCarthy’s best book but I’m finding it even more thin than expected so far. It really is just a decent thriller. Oh well, it’s good for what it is!

do not ever read Cities on the Plain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I knew No Country For Old Men wasn’t meant to be McCarthy’s best book but I’m finding it even more thin than expected so far. It really is just a decent thriller. Oh well, it’s good for what it is!
I'm feeling the same way about Inherent Vice right now. Not bad, but I didn't expect it to be that great anyway.

Heard the movie's really solid, though.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Chamberk posted:

I'm having a frustrating discussion with some folks on facebook about that very article. They're like THIS IS A BAD BOOK THESE LINES PROVE IT IS VERY BAD

and I'm trying to argue that some of those quotes might just be from the point of view of characters who themselves might not have the best attitudes or opinions, and not the author holding these points of view

Man even disregarding the character thing, half of those sentences are actually great, and the other half are at least fun. Just cuz it isn't Hemingway-style simplicity doesn't mean it's automatically empty purple prose.

Like compare them to those lists of Dan Brown or whatever, which are just nonsensical mixed metaphors or just bad grammar and poo poo.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's a great thriller, yeah, and McCarthy's style makes it even more enjoyable.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Well beyond that, I ended up getting the "your privilege is that you can read this kind of sentence without getting infuriated at the racism/sexism/white-male-dominant-ism, you ought to take a long hard look at yourself if you enjoy a book like this" spiel, and decided that this wasn't a fight worth having.

I did finish Moby Dick, though! Those last few chapters are fantastic, although I have to laugh at how quickly Ahab is taken out - like, he has this whole badass speech and then whoops, rope caught him, he's gone now. Fedellah hanging dead from Moby Dick's side, though, that was wonderfully macabre.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i find that bad authors are often better in translation. like, i read twilight in translation and my impression was just that it was mediocre and sort of creepy. then i read it in english and i had a strange sort of disgusted feeling in my belly throughout it was unsettling

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why did you read Twilight twice and then post about it ITT

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

V. Illych L. posted:

i find that bad authors are often better in translation. like, i read twilight in translation and my impression was just that it was mediocre and sort of creepy. then i read it in english and i had a strange sort of disgusted feeling in my belly throughout it was unsettling

Makes sense. Translators by definition have to pay particular attention to the nuances and oddities of a given language; some authors are basically unaware of them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DirtyRobot posted:

Makes sense. Translators by definition have to pay particular attention to the nuances and oddities of a given language; some authors are basically unaware of them.

all according to keikaku

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like authors who write like they are translating from a foreign language to begin with.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shibawanko posted:

I like authors who write like they are translating from a foreign language to begin with.

Big fan of Ha Jin I see

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Smoking Crow posted:

Big fan of Ha Jin I see

eesh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

blue squares posted:

Why did you read Twilight twice and then post about it ITT

to check on the translation, and then to make a comment about a quirk of translation

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I only read Playboy for the articles Twilight to check the translation.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

V. Illych L. posted:

I think certain translators try and make the idiot things they have to translate less idiotic. The version of Eragon I read as a lad is not nearly as ridiculous as the one sold in the States, apparently.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

at the date posted:

I only read Playboy for the articles Twilight to check the translation.

i read it the first time around because i got it as a gift. then i read about it and was puzzled at the reaction people had on the internet, so i went to the library and borrowed the english version

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

V. Illych L. posted:

i read it the first time around because i got it as a gift. then i read about it and was puzzled at the reaction people had on the internet, so i went to the library and borrowed the english version

Hey, no need to get defensive. You be you, man.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
One of our high school english courses included reading an English-language novel and writing a short report on it. This was considered pretty advanced since it demanded some fluency in a foreign language. Obviously I was an Anglophone veteran at that point so it was an easy peasy assignment :smug:

When i returned my report on A Tale of Two Cities to the pile, i could see that the report immediately before mine was about Twillight. I can still paraphrase recall the single line I read:

"Twilight is a good book for girls, and maybe boys too".

That is my Twilight story.

I got to correct the teacher on my single error: ancien régime was French, not a typo. :smug: :smug: :smug:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

My wife was an English major and is an English teacher and loves high brow books. She read Twilight in Spanish and loved it. Then she saw what it was like in English and was ashamed. I think that the Spanish translation must be a pretty good book!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

which brings us to a point: faced with bad prose, what should a translater do? generally, translation should strive to emulate the voice of the original work, but at what point does translator's discretion come in and allow changes?

like, i read les miserables in translation and Hugo was not what you'd call a concise author, so the translater consistently reworded things to be less unnecessarily verbose. i haven't read that in french, but i've read enough of his other work to figure that this impacted the tone of the work somewhat, which sits poorly with me on a principled level. obviously twilight isn't Hugo, but i feel like it's a general point about the role of the translater in literature

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 23, 2016

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think it's reasonable to say that you're not just translating language, you're translating a set of cultural mores to some extent. People will prefer a modern translation of the Iliad over Dryden's mostly because they don't tend to sit down and read things in heroic couplets. And if you manage to convey that sense of what is exciting about a text to a reader then I'd call that a successful translation. So in the example of the Hugo translation I'd say the translator prioritised clarity over close attention to sentence structure. Whether that's a good decision or not depends on the book. With Proust I'd say that's practically sacrilege, but Hugo it's probably forgivable, I'd say. Then again, I'm actually rather relaxed about translation. People sweat about it too much, I think.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Should I read Ulysses or V next

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

blue squares posted:

Should I read Ulysses or V next

Ulysses if you've never read it. It will change your life.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ulysses is the Homestuck of the 20th century.

Edit: Actual content - has anyone read the Big Green Tent, Martin John or The Mark and the Void? I just got all three from the library and I'm wondering which to read first.
Probably the Mark and the Void because it looks a lot less dense than the books I've been reading.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 24, 2016

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Cloks posted:

I see.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I read the first twelve pages of Ulysses along with a podcast that explained every reference being made. It was quite enjoyable to see all the details, but tiresome to spend 10 minutes per page. But when I read it without the podcast, I feel I'm missing the point of everything.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is blowing my mind right now. I've never seen such a wonderful command of narrative voice.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Cloks posted:

Please explain what you mean by that.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

paradoxGentleman posted:

Please explain what you mean by that.

he means that mishima was right and we should all aspire to fascist holy suicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLK7RI_HW-E

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tree Goat posted:

he means that mishima was right and we should all aspire to fascist holy suicide

Is Nic Cage the Intersection of YOLO and Taoism?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

blue squares posted:

I read the first twelve pages of Ulysses along with a podcast that explained every reference being made. It was quite enjoyable to see all the details, but tiresome to spend 10 minutes per page. But when I read it without the podcast, I feel I'm missing the point of everything.

Let the details wash over you in a glorious flood of information, which I think in this day and age humans should be well used to. You'll still most probably pick up the important bits if you keep an open mind. Some chapters are easier than others. It's not easy but it's worth it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Cloks posted:

Edit: Actual content - has anyone read the Big Green Tent, Martin John or The Mark and the Void? I just got all three from the library and I'm wondering which to read first.
Probably the Mark and the Void because it looks a lot less dense than the books I've been reading.

The Mark and the Void was pretty good, though it's not nearly as funny or heartbreaking as Skippy Dies. The author self insert is pretty good but the protagonist is kind of dull, though that's by design.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I haven't read Skippy Dies so maybe I'll read that first.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

This video is wrong because Tails Gets Trolled is the internet's Ulysses.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jesus christ what

Oi ten bucks Nino turns out to be a massive dickwad.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ok I'm sure Ulysses is great and maybe I'll read 10 pages a day or something, but I got a little drunk and went to the book store and came back with:

1. Americanah
2. Dissident Gardens
3. Goldfinch
4. Little, Big (John Crowley)

Chapter 1 of Americanah is real good

blue squares fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 24, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain is blowing my mind right now. I've never seen such a wonderful command of narrative voice.

I like the one about a sunburned duck.

e: has anyone read any Steven Milhauser? I picked up his collection The Barnum Museum and it all seemed kinda pointless.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 24, 2016

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
:viggo: I've read it, and almost everything else Millhauser has written.

"Pointless" is not a word I've seen used to describe his writing before ("tedious," "mechanical," "overly obsessed with tiny details" -- yes). Which stories didn't work for you?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Probably was just a misstep to read them all straight through but after the third story the concept of disappearing streets and animate non-existence became less than mindblowing. I liked that he hid a dead dad in A Game of Clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

blue squares posted:

ok I'm sure Ulysses is great and maybe I'll read 10 pages a day or something, but I got a little drunk and went to the book store and came back with:

1. Americanah
2. Dissident Gardens
3. Goldfinch
4. Little, Big (John Crowley)

Chapter 1 of Americanah is real good

Those are all pretty drat good books; Little, Big is one of my all time favorites.

If I hadn't just started War and Peace I'd think about reading that one. Or A Little Life, or the first Neopolitan book... but no, I had to go and start one of the longest books known to man.