Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
dumpster your republican tradition enough and you change to monarchy by event then you can change to a republic using the regular republic decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

So after a couple hours of Novgorod, I really miss Estates. Is there some way to become a non-merchant Republic?

heh, this was also my experience.

The -2 RR and +2% missionary strength in Clergy provinces is invaluable for Muscovy/Novgorod.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There was some Portugal chat a while back, here's screenshots of my Portugal. Once you know how to min-max the trade system you'll make money hand over fist, and then you can spam a few CNs to get even more merchants, pick the right ideas and you too can end up with 15 merchants and a trade income of 180.

(Random) New World trade isn't even that important in this game, Asian trade is where it's at. I'm dominating Goa, Ceylon and Moluccas (and collecting there, because I don't have enough power in the upstream nodes between them and Sevilla). Half of my trade income does come from collecting in Sevilla, but a big chunk of that in turn is either residual eastern trade through the Med, or African trade.

The biggest headache is the largest CN, Lamagosia, and having to go beat them down into submission once a generation. I wish there was some kind of in-between state between CN and sovereign nation. I'd give up all my income and even trade power from Lamagosia if it just meant I could rely on them to be allied to me and no one else.

Otherwise the map is pretty boring. I ate most of Castile when they lost a big war and became useless as allies, I befriended France instead and just as I quit for the day France had gotten a PU with Commonwealth and we're having a succession war with Scandinavia.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 23, 2016

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
OK, first time dealing with the HRE mess. How are you supposed to deal with the Netherlands?

I'm playing as Austria, the Netherlands just formed and stole a bunch of princes for zero AE, so I naturally declared imperial ban and liberated a couple of them. I peace them out and not even a week later, one of the nations I just liberated joins the Netherlands again. Now i'm stuck with a 15 year truce timer. What the hell? Where's my "Stop stealing imperial land or I will end you, shitbag" decision?

Do I have to annex them to stop this from happening, or will princes eventually decide to stop getting integrated instantly and loving me over?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's funny because they're joining the Netherlands for protection from the emperor

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone played Novgorod lately? I'm thinking of doing Frozen Assets, but I remember how much of a grind it used to be in like 1.2. Is it still all earth scorching to run down Muscovy's manpower, and hoping Kazan jumps on them?

I haven't done it myself, but in my Poland game Novgorod under the AI formed Russia, without intervention on my part. Not only that, but plucky little Theodoro ended up conquering Crimea, a chunk of the northern Caucasus, and a chunk of the southern steppes.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've played this game more than I've played really any other game before it. There's a huge amount of variety/possibilities on each fresh map and a mechanic that has done a lot to breath more life into a setting already teeming, is custom nations. Custom nations, different from historical nations, only have generic events, which hobble one of my favorite features of playing.

I think the solution to this would be to make a greater variety of nations formable under the correct circumstances. Likely candidates include Venice, Sweden, Ming, the Ottomans, Hungary, the Hansa, the Papal States... etc.

quote:

Do I have to annex them to stop this from happening

Yes. Or if you have the foresight and opportunity to make the country forming The Netherlands an elector, that would also be a solution to have them not leave the HRE.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Independent nations in the low countries will also stop throwing in with the Netherlands...

...after Netherlands nationalism ends in 1650.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's what you get for not ensuring you inherit the Burgundian throne, and then also moving your capital to Holland.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like I've gotten a pretty good start to my Tabarestan -> Persia game.

I'm allied to QQ and Afghanistan currently, but I will have to turn on QQ eventually since they hold one of the provinces needed to form Persia.

Gotta get those achievements.

Any suggestions as to what the first idea group should be?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dorkopotamis posted:

I think the solution to this would be to make a greater variety of nations formable under the correct circumstances. Likely candidates include Venice, Sweden, Ming, the Ottomans, Hungary, the Hansa, the Papal States... etc.

If you want to form a particular historic state with a custom nation, it should be pretty trivial to make a player only 'Form XXX' decision with no prereqs that you can fire off on day 1. Then anytime you want to change it you can just pop in and change the 3 letter code to whatever you want for that game.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, that was surprisingly easy. Formed Persia from Tabarestan in ~60 years. But hey, Shahanshah achievement is in the bag.

Guess the real test of strength is getting the "This is Persia" achievement. Hopefully my ally Mega-Muscovy can help out against the Ottomans.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
lmao

...but I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen...

I guess my 0/3/1 king decided that he was better off as a general, and gave his throne to spain? bold...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
ps

this feels kind of excessive...

I wonder if I can stack on more.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

PleasingFungus posted:

ps

this feels kind of excessive...

I wonder if I can stack on more.

I trust you've adjusted your army composition to make use of that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

YF-23 posted:

I trust you've adjusted your army composition to make use of that.

well in the screenshot he's got 30 cav to 27 infantry :v:

but yeah with that much combat ability and discounts (note he's basically paying half price for cav), ride that pony

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

ride that pony

The famous battle cry of Commonwealth cavalry that brought the world to its knees

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Super cav heavy strats are actually viable and good if you have one of the sweet cav power NIs and stack it with other bonuses. Unfortunately you can't abuse it so well without being Muslim military tech.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just be a little wary of high Fire generals once you start getting toward endgame, cav's main weakness is their bad Fire pips.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I want to shoot Enrique IV into the sun because inevitably, he fucks up Castille.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

I want to shoot Enrique IV into the sun because inevitably, he fucks up Castille.

on the other hand Castile gets an event to make Isabella queen and she has great stats and basically guarantees you land your PU with Aragon early

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, how do you guys get those neat map pictures?

I just finished Great Khan and I wanna show off the weird map.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Press F10. It'll be in your screenshots directory like regular screenshots.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think I did alright for myself

I got the Great Khan achievement at around 1770. I'm not very good at big conquest achievements. This is my I don't even know how many-th attempt.

Some odd bits:
Aragon formed Spain and castile is now a rump state based in South Africa--however a late game war returned Iberian provinces to them.
The Ottomans folded hard when I hit them midgame. I only had to fight them twice and then everyone declared on them to take a piece. Hence the weird borders in the balkans and the resurgent Mamluks (rebels, I think).
Russia never formed (not my fault). They just got really unlucky in their wars with Lithuania and Sweden. Which is a damned shame, because otherwise I could have gotten the Guarantor of Peace achievement.
Basically the entire New World broke free halfway through the game--thanks to Aragon eating Castile, I think. This resulted in me having to beat emerging American powers to the remains of the Ming. They kept trying to take chunks that I needed.
Also, Ming never really broke up in this game. By the time I got to them, they had actually expanded a fair bit into the west, north, and Indochina. So it was a real slog eating through them--and I couldn't even get them to break apart from a war, either. My lucky break came when some other interest forced them to release a few kingdoms.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
Dealt with the Netherlands, won the league war and arranged a few marriages. I've only passed 4 reforms, but...

I don't think it'll matter. :smug:

Hungary is also under a PU and Castille has a von Habsburg dynasty, so might be able to get that one as well, if I get lucky.
It's pretty much just waiting for the game to end from here, though.

edit: also, apparently France owns most of Japan and there's no Ming in sight.

sckye fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 24, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, Novgorod is legit less fun than Muscovy. I do not care for Merchant Republics.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Why would you do this to my poor eyes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
God damnit. Trust and favors gets reset to 50/0 if you decline a call to arms, even if you're 100/100. Two of my allies decided to fight each other over helping an OPM. There goes Trustworthy, I guess.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

sckye posted:

Dealt with the Netherlands, won the league war and arranged a few marriages. I've only passed 4 reforms, but...

What the gently caress are you doing

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looks like a fairly standard Austria. You get 1 Imperial Authority for each province you add to the empire, so it makes sense to expand east into areas where provinces are cheap.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I haven't seen any news about the patch that Wiz has done those two dev diaries for so far, can anyone fill me in when it is going to drop?

Average Bear posted:

Winning.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
hormuz has more than one province, amazing

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's like an EU3 screenshot

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Average Bear posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

Ottomans were expanding alarmingly and were demolishing Poland, whose union over Lithuania I had forcibly broken early to open up an easy expansion path east, so I had to deal with them before they became a threat. Somewhere around 1520 I forced a PU over Bohemia and Hungary through missions and gained one on The Palatinate, while also inheriting Burgundy, which made my borders pretty messy.
My allies for the whole game were France, Brandenburg and Sweden.

I figured I might as well blob properly, since I had read on how it's a good thing to stock up on provinces to later on add to the empire, in order to enact the last 2 reforms quickly and without any princes leaving.
I was also running pretty short on admin points from coring so much land, so I released Kiev and Chernigov to help with coring.

Formed the HRE in 1657. Could have done it earlier, but again, first time playing in the empire and all, so I was going at it relatively blind.

The vassal swarm from the "revoke the privilegia" reform was amazing while it lasted. Just point at something and watch 40+ vassals swiftly destroy it.
If the AI wasn't completely insane with how it handles attrition, I might have considered not even forming the HRE, it was that good.

sckye fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 25, 2016

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

sckye posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

Many thread regulars have, or pretend to have, OCD about "pretty borders". You kind of mutilated Russia, Hungary and a lot of the HRE.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'll bet before the death of EU4, we see countries being renamed dynamically so we can stop caring that 'Hormuz' encompasses half of Arabia. The region-naming system gets us most of the way there anyway, no?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

vuohi posted:

Many thread regulars have, or pretend to have, OCD about "pretty borders". You kind of mutilated Russia, Hungary and a lot of the HRE.

They're bitter because you're owning as Austria.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

vuohi posted:

In this case, I think it has to do with the deep-seated PTSD of EU3 players remembering the days of Austria Snake.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And Bohemia snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Speaking of Austria snakes, the new AI added in the most recent patch made Austria expand like a loving maniac. The AI tries to connect it's territory to Sundgau and tears through the empire, even though as the emperor you can just walk straight over everyone thus negating any need to connect them. They always seem to ravage the HRE, which as the emperor makes very little sense. It's pretty lame that by becoming the emperor you're given free reign to poo poo all over your underlings and they just have to accept it as is.

Here's a nice post expanding on this.

• Locked thread