Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kawabata posted:

I feel the stress damage needs to be toned down some, at least in certain cases. I'm grinding low level content for trinkets and my hero lvl 3 crusader's resolve is immediately tested because he saw a crit on a party member and a dumb mob yelled in his face a couple of times.

Now he's fearful and I immediately know I just lost 1000+gold in stress relief just for this bullshit. Oh and god forbid you're out of shovels and you need to use your hands, it's more stressful than seeing the loving prince of darkness apparently. When that happens I just leave the dungeon, because again it's a shitload of gold you're about to lose in relief.

DIG WITH MY HANDS? I CANT PUT UP WITH THIS poo poo

*kills self*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the best way to get gold is to finish quests and the best way to save gold is to squeeze 2/3 missions out of any particular adventurer before needing to vacation them

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Blinding Gas+Disorienting Blast+Battlefield Medicine is extremely my bag. You only get 1 attack, but who cares, you're too busy stunlocking everything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kawabata posted:

I feel the stress damage needs to be toned down some, at least in certain cases. I'm grinding low level content for trinkets and my hero lvl 3 crusader's resolve is immediately tested because he saw a crit on a party member and a dumb mob yelled in his face a couple of times.

Now he's fearful and I immediately know I just lost 1000+gold in stress relief just for this bullshit. Oh and god forbid you're out of shovels and you need to use your hands, it's more stressful than seeing the loving prince of darkness apparently. When that happens I just leave the dungeon, because again it's a shitload of gold you're about to lose in relief.

You don't need to send them to get stress relief after every single run. Just let them chill in town while your B - D team goes out.

I do agree that running out of shovels is silly because they get so stressed out from destroying the barrier.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

the best way to get gold is to finish quests and the best way to save gold is to squeeze 2/3 missions out of any particular adventurer before needing to vacation them

Secret roooooooms. I usually make a few k over break even point unless I get a secret room or have a lucky low stress run. Running an early camp with a scout bonus ability seems to be the best way to make gold pretty reliably without meat grindering your guys.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 24, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kawabata posted:

You're getting high stress because you're letting a dumb mob yell at your dudes a couple times. There are generally ~2 enemies (plus the ever-present maniac or whatever he's called) in every zone that do more stress damage than anything else; if you're having stress problems i feel bad for you son then kill/lock down those mobs first.

The incidental stress from crits is annoying but if you've got the stress damage from other sources locked down it winds up being insignificant.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

Blinding Gas+Disorienting Blast+Battlefield Medicine is extremely my bag. You only get 1 attack, but who cares, you're too busy stunlocking everything.

With that awesome 40% stun trinket I don't use her to do damage basically ever cause stunning is the best way to mitigate stress or damage and she sucks at it unless there are two blight vulnerable targets in the back rows.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Panfilo posted:

A skill that you use when you can't use anything else is a bad skill. Every hero should have skills that are equally viable, that gives choice to the player to decide what direction he wants the battle to go.
I hear ya but the game isn't built that way really with any of the classes.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Give Emboldening Vapors a bit of stress heal, like Houndmaster's Cry Havoc level but single target. Just have plague doctor :420: your dudes all the time. It's even right there in the name!

Actually, a bunch of unimpressive skills ought to have a bit of extra juice. Mace Bash should give the Vestal a stacking PROT buff and Hand of Light's damage debuff should be Weakening Curse-level. They're slot 1/2 only, they need to be crazy just to tempt you into putting a Vestal out in front, like the Occultist gets a high crit chance stun. Tracking Shot should mark the target; I don't think I've ever used that skill and been happy about it. Even the niche of "finish off an almost dead guy with your highwayman + get bennies" is better filled by Grapeshot Blast. At least with a mark you might bring him along on a marking team and use it against an enemy which has neither PROT nor good dodge. Hook and Slice is another skill I've never wanted to use.

I really have no idea what to do with the Jester. Partly it's that I've never used him on a shuffle team, so I'm not really familiar with how well Dirk Stab/Solo/Finale work.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Glidergun posted:

I really have no idea what to do with the Jester. Partly it's that I've never used him on a shuffle team, so I'm not really familiar with how Dirk Stab/Solo/Finale do.

Use Battle Ballad to make your entire team go first and then bleed the middle two ranks. I don't bring him to places where bleed sucks.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I enjoy the concept of the same class in different ranks will have different moves and playstyles. If you don't like emboldening vapours, don't put your Plague Doctor in Rank 1 or 2 where she doesn't belong.

Also the logic of having a universal skill being a bad thing when your situational skills stop having situations seems backwards to me.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Use Battle Ballad to make your entire team go first and then bleed the middle two ranks. I don't bring him to places where bleed sucks.

Yeah, I've done that before too. It's fine but feels like doesn't contribute as much as a character should. That line was less "I don't know how to use a Jester" and more "I don't know what changes to make to the Jester to make them good while still trying to preserve their feel."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am a no good filthy dirty cheater. I used a trainer to try to survive a really tough fight and accidentally gave myself a ludicrous amount of gold. Is there any way to manually edit my save to fix that?

Edit: Never used Cheat Engine before. Very simple to figure out. Fixed it in 5 minutes! Yay!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 24, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Diogines posted:

I am a no good filthy dirty cheater. I used a trainer to try to survive a really tough fight and accidentally gave myself a ludicrous amount of gold. Is there any way to manually edit my save to fix that?

Hah, relating to recent CYOA events?

Edit:I still like the game, I have just checked out though.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

No, it has no relation.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Don't forget that unless they just nerfed it, Battlefield Medicine can heal the Plague Doctor AND another character's DOTs with only 1 move. It is far superior to a Bandage/Antivenom.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So uh... that Collector guy showed up in the middle of this run and was... quite a thing. Haven't run into that thing yet

And now I've got a bloody head in a bag. Thanks...??

edit: Can I just say, the Weald sucks. I don't remember the Weald being so horrible a long time ago when I first played this game, but the ruins, the warrens and the cove are like walks in the park in comparison

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 24, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Plague doc has a common trinket with a straight +30% stun and a rare with +40% blight. So you can get +70% stun & 20% blight or +60% blight & +40% stun. Anything that isn't straight immune you can get your poo poo to stick to, and stuns you can eat through one layer of stun resist no problem. Spend your first 2 rounds stunning their back while your other guys mulch positions 2-4, then do cleanup on spot 1.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you bring herbs into the Weald you almost don't have to bring any food because there are so many corpses you can turn into good eats.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lotish posted:

If you bring herbs into the Weald you almost don't have to bring any food because there are so many corpses you can turn into good eats.

Same with the Warrens, dinner carts and dining tables are amazing

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
For those who want to abuse the OP point blank shot and play a powerful "shuffle" lineup:

For ruins - Vestal/Crusader/Grave Robber/Highwayman

Crusader holy lances to move up 1 spot into normal attack position. Highwayman point blanks to move into position two. After which grave robber you either stay put and use the blight DoT or go forward two spots with her attack into first position then stun shadow fade back. Continuously cycle highwayman and graverobber all battle choosing whether you want to push Crusader back into holy lance position or keep him in spot 2.

For other locations - Vestal/Grave Robber/MAA/Highwayman

Similar setup except you can keep Grave Robber in spot 3 more here and cycle highwayman with point blank shot/duelist advance and MAA with his stun move forward when needed. Make sure you protect Highwayman with your MAA. If Highwayman gets low on health, insta advance Graverobber to the front with her lunge attack and keep Highwayman in spot 3. Now cycle MAA and Graverobber back and forth with their stun moves.

These lineups are pretty much invulnerable to surprise attacks as well. You'll just need to move Vestal to the back naturally by using others' advancing moves.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 24, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Having beaten the game, I've kinda come around to corpses. They can't dodge anymore which makes them a hundred times less stupid and annoying, though.

Accepting the game for what it is for the most part, I'm not a fan of how you HAVE to sacrifice guys at the final boss. You can say it fits with the mood of the game but the game never otherwise does anything like that. There's no encounters or events where you've got to pick between one bad option and another. :shrug: Though on a less "the game is what it is" note I'm not a fan of how quirks work in the end. Getting Warrens Adventurer for bailing in the Ruins for example, or how all the manias just work out to "forces you to interact with object X".

Though I will say, I liked how in my case at least my surviving party at the end of the Darkest Dungeon was Dismas and Reynauld.

FourLeaf posted:

Don't forget that unless they just nerfed it, Battlefield Medicine can heal the Plague Doctor AND another character's DOTs with only 1 move. It is far superior to a Bandage/Antivenom.

I thought those didn't use turns, or is that just torches?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Soothing Vapors posted:

Same with the Warrens, dinner carts and dining tables are amazing

Oh boy, cannibalism! :yum:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anatharon posted:

Though I will say, I liked how in my case at least my surviving party at the end of the Darkest Dungeon was Dismas and Reynauld.

You are a true hero :patriot:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Playing for the first time since very early early access and drat this is rough. My Vestal got unlucky enough to be slammed with crits from four enemies in a row in one fight and I just had to play the last two hours without a healer. One time I managed to get two Occultists and they've been pulling their weight, but I think I'm like 1/10 in completing even short easy missions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This game is so silly. I needed to pass a day, so I threw my 3 already insane abominations and one new highway man into an explore 90% rooms dungeon for a suicide mission. Bought food but nothing else, so I didn't bother with torches.

The dungeon proceeds to have ZERO encounters, either in hallways or in rooms until the very last two rooms. In which case I did the battle, lost one of my abominations to a heart attack, beat the room and then completed the quest. Ended up with about 8,000 gold. I never even used the food I bought edit: actually I think there might have been an encounter with some spiders that got me some extra gold but that's it

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Rad Russian posted:

For those who want to abuse the OP point blank shot and play a powerful "shuffle" lineup:

For ruins - Vestal/Crusader/Grave Robber/Highwayman

Crusader holy lances to move up 1 spot into normal attack position. Highwayman point blanks to move into position two. After which grave robber you either stay put and use the blight DoT or go forward two spots with her attack into first position then stun shadow fade back. Continuously cycle highwayman and graverobber all battle choosing whether you want to push Crusader back into holy lance position or keep him in spot 2.

For other locations - Vestal/Grave Robber/MAA/Highwayman

Similar setup except you can keep Grave Robber in spot 3 more here and cycle highwayman with point blank shot/duelist advance and MAA with his stun move forward when needed. Make sure you protect Highwayman with your MAA. If Highwayman gets low on health, insta advance Graverobber to the front with her lunge attack and keep Highwayman in spot 3. Now cycle MAA and Graverobber back and forth with their stun moves.

These lineups are pretty much invulnerable to surprise attacks as well. You'll just need to move Vestal to the back naturally by using others' advancing moves.

Those are good setups but who's stunning the 2 douchebag mobs in spot 3 and 4 that are stressing everyone? I can't quite play in a team without a Plague Doctor, the utility loss is enormous.

EDIT: question: when and how did the perma corpses idea come up? Do they realize how loving stupid it looks when a single dead dude on the ground is cockblocking an entire team?

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 24, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
played this a while ago before the corpses were a thing

it is a lot better. it feels like it's less dependent on swingy random bullshit for difficulty, and I haven't felt like I've been hosed over by crits/misses at nearly the same rate as before.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Don't use Arbalest on the Hag.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why? I'm pretty sure I did and it went fine?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hag is a jerk and killed my jester

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Megasabin posted:

What tweaks have you made to the game that you deem necessary?

Source: I've done fine with jesters, the loot system, etc.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 24, 2016

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Kawabata posted:

Those are good setups but who's stunning the 2 douchebag mobs in spot 3 and 4 that are stressing everyone? I can't quite play in a team without a Plague Doctor, the utility loss is enormous.

EDIT: question: when and how did the perma corpses idea come up? Do they realize how loving stupid it looks when a single dead dude on the ground is cockblocking an entire team?

You know what else is stupid? "do nothing but murder the frontline over and over"

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tiler Kiwi posted:

hag is a jerk and killed my jester

they were dead anyway

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Phrasing posted:

Don't use Arbalest on the Hag.

Alternatively, use arb-occ-abom-hellion and just dps race her down no matter who ends up in the pot!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I just did the first Darkest Dungeon mission and got the 3 Talisman of The Flame trinkets. From the description their use seems really specific, is there one mission I want to make sure I bring them on or should I bring them on all future Darkest Dungeon missions? Can I get more if I wipe and lose them?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kly posted:

I just did the first Darkest Dungeon mission and got the 3 Talisman of The Flame trinkets. From the description their use seems really specific, is there one mission I want to make sure I bring them on or should I bring them on all future Darkest Dungeon missions? Can I get more if I wipe and lose them?

How they work: In the second mission (and ONLY the second mission apparently) there are enemies called templars that can use the attack revelation. Revelation does insane damage to health and stress without the talisman. With it, its mostly negated. So put them on your guys and ideally guard the odd man out to keep his brain from leaking. Don't do what I did and assume you need them for the third mission as well though because it will laugh at your pathetic little trinkets.

Honestly, its kind of stupid and just seems to gently caress over people who avoid spoilers. The game doesn't give you enough hints about how too use them properly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kopijeger posted:

Those backstory comics make little sense considering that the characters are not unique. Lose one Leper in battle, recruit another one from the wagon - how many leprosy-afflicted kings could there possibly be? Also, it is funny how the "Deviant Tastes" quirk bars a character from the brothel (makes more sense if it made brothel visits more expensive instead), yet the Leper is free to go there if he lacks that particular quirk.

Actually that would make for a good playthrough. See if you can't win using only ever one character of each class.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly, its kind of stupid and just seems to gently caress over people who avoid spoilers. The game doesn't give you enough hints about how too use them properly.

Cool, thanks for the info. It is kind of dumb, when I saw them it was super obvious I would need them but I wasn't sure if they were something I should save until the end and I didn't want to risk losing them before knowing when they would be needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
don't you need 16 separate characters to do all the dd missions? if so, there's no way to get by with only one of each of the 14 classes