Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm apparently second behind Sam "DOS Apocalypse" Bair in number of games suggested for Abject Suffering. I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed. Why am I doing this to you?

What's Abject Suffering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Abject Suffering is dead, long live the R-Zone Zone.

Also if anyone buys them the Virtual Boy, I'm just laying it out there that there is a procedural generated first-person Shadow Over Innsmouth game on the VB that was only released in Japan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bobservo posted:

This week's episode of Retronauts is all about a game that's old even if you think it's not: Half-Life 2:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/retronauts-pries-into-the-recently-old-half-life-2

There needs to be a mini-sode about Jurassic Park Trespasser and how it was basically the blueprint for Half-Life 2 and every physics based shooter in 1997.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Abject Suffering is dead, long live the R-Zone Zone.
Really? I've not caught up, I'm on...the where's waldo episode.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
hey podcast thread did you know you can embed tweets on the forums now

https://twitter.com/GaryBuh/status/687546263869374465
https://twitter.com/GaryBuh/status/687546943396954112

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just got mystery gifts from the Duckfeed boys and a friend who went to Comiket. I'm not sure which one made my morning more.

(for the record I think my gushing praise over Teenage Dirtbags belies my "nah, cover whatever" nature)

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Concerning the latest WOFF episode, I really want to hear a Three Dog hosted episode of Radio Lab now.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Old Swerdlow posted:

Concerning the latest WOFF episode, I really want to hear a Three Dog hosted episode of Radio Lab now.

If we hadn't done a Radio Lab parody so recently, that was my first idea. I find Radio Lab endlessly make-fun-able.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Woffle posted:

If we hadn't done a Radio Lab parody so recently, that was my first idea. I find Radio Lab endlessly make-fun-able.

One of their most recent episodes about "That Dragon, Cancer" is so excruciatingly bad with the whole out of touch notion that "video games can be more than boops and beeps!?"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is Radiolab the walking simulator of public radio shows?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Phone posted:

Is Radiolab the walking simulator of public radio shows?

I'd say that's This American Life, but it's probably a close tossup in terms of viciously stupid narratives and irritating production quirks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The R-Zone Zone is dead.

Long live Abject Suffering

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Re: Abject Suffering (rip rzone)

I'm not sure when you guys recorded, but you guys missed out on the recent cruise ship disaster where someone was horrifically maimed by an elevator. I read a news article the other week, and it was some serious horror film poo poo.

Also, great news! the buzzing I was asking about on Twitter wasn't present at all, A+, would R Zone again

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SporkOfTruth posted:

I'd say that's This American Life, but it's probably a close tossup in terms of viciously stupid narratives and irritating production quirks.

be nice.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Catching up on Abject Suffering from the last few weeks. Kole, my dad would be your not throwing-up hero. He's at 32 years.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think Kole was asking which of the games I love he's taken a dump on in the last WoFF

I was a big fan of Metroids Prime and Fusion, and goddamn love Banjo Kazooie. I agree with with your Metroid views after much soul searching, but BK is still amazing gently caress you.

(Love the show :ohdear: )

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

I think Kole was asking which of the games I love he's taken a dump on in the last WoFF

I was a big fan of Metroids Prime and Fusion, and goddamn love Banjo Kazooie. I agree with with your Metroid views after much soul searching, but BK is still amazing gently caress you.

There's more Banjo salt in the upcoming episodes too. Condolences.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know Bob and Jeremy read this thread. The new Retronauts tshirt is awesome, I am wearing it right now. A+ would wear again.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know Bob and Jeremy read this thread. The new Retronauts tshirt is awesome, I am wearing it right now. A+ would wear again.

I have a box of about 80 Retronauts shirts in my bedroom so I'm going to try and wear them all at once.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
According to the Before I Play page, your best bet is to put the smallest shirts on first

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

bobservo posted:

I have a box of about 80 Retronauts shirts in my bedroom so I'm going to try and wear them all at once.

I have zero Retronauts merchandise from the past three years because SOMEONE never shares.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bug Squash posted:

Somewhere out there is a massive Tomba and Sword of Mana fan who has a target board with Gary and Kole's faces on it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Pro-tier Thumbs episode this week, I hope to God that my parents didn't keep a journal of all the bizarre things I said/did as a child. They've told me most of the highlights anyway.

Also per Thumbs' brief discussion of Myst, Myst is probably my personal example of "I understand the criticism people lay on this game but I don't care" because I still love that game, even if it comes across as really primitive after 20+ years. And I'm not even a big adventure game guy, that game just really resonated with me, probably because after starting my video game days on the Game Boy and SNES it was one of my first PC games, and definitely the first where I thought "there's no way I could play this any other way".

VV Thumbs touched on it for a bit in their ep, I wasn't referring to WOFF. I have no idea what their stance is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 23, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

C-Euro posted:

Pro-tier Thumbs episode this week, I hope to God that my parents didn't keep a journal of all the bizarre things I said/did as a child. They've told me most of the highlights anyway.

Also per your discussion of Myst, Myst is probably my personal example of "I understand the criticism people lay on this game but I don't care" because I still love that game, even if it comes across as really primitive after 20+ years. And I'm not even a big adventure game guy, that game just really resonated with me, probably because after starting my video game days on the Game Boy and SNES it was one of my first PC games, and definitely the first where I thought "there's no way I could play this any other way".

Wait I thought WOFF really liked Myst? I might be forgetting, that was one of the first episodes I listened to.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wait I thought WOFF really liked Myst? I might be forgetting, that was one of the first episodes I listened to.

We do. Was it something referenced in Idle Thumbs? I think the 2nd paragraph is connected to the first, maybe.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Woffle posted:

We do. Was it something referenced in Idle Thumbs? I think the 2nd paragraph is connected to the first, maybe.

I talked about how I didnt like Myst much when it came out (or told myself I didnt like it?) because it was colliding with my personal preconceptions of & taste in adventure games at the time. I still dont fully love Myst but I respect it a lot. (Also I really like Riven?). And I'm really stoked for The Witness.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

ja2ke posted:

I talked about how I didnt like Myst much when it came out (or told myself I didnt like it?) because it was colliding with my personal preconceptions of & taste in adventure games at the time. I still dont fully love Myst but I respect it a lot. (Also I really like Riven?). And I'm really stoked for The Witness.

That's a pretty common trend for old PC gamers because if you weren't around for Myst's tremendous hype you don't understand. It was THE video game. Housewives, businessmen, everyone was aware of Myst. If you were playing Doom on your PC or even Lucas/Sierra stuff then there could be a lot of contempt thinking they were changing your videogames into something you didn't want. It's kind of like the backlash that Gone Home got, thinking this additive product was somehow going to subtract entertainment.

Hell, there was potential that this mixed media experience (if it was repeatable) could have changed the landscape of games but it of course was not replicated very well and it remains one of the only lasting examples of FMV PC gaming breaking into the mainstream culture.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey Gary, I just finished the latest Abject Suffering, and as much as I want to start a discussion about MGS4 (in that Johnny Sasaki is the least of the game's narrative sins) I would rather avoid another "Undertale" discussion. But have you ever considered playing Peace Walker?

It avoids the issues of MGS4, in that the story doesn't try and slavishly include every minor piece of fan service it can think of and it has a brand new cast of memorable characters. It's almost like Kojima got an editor, in that it doesn't reach too far or too outlandish; but still has the undercurrent of camp that gives MGS it's 'mad genius' flavor. It's gameplay is dialed way back in complexity from the previous games, and missions aren't meant to be very long; from a few minutes long to twenty at most. It also ignores Portable Ops so you wouldn't miss anything in terms of story (literally the only thing that ties it to PO is a line where someone dismisses it).

I would recommend the HD versions, it still plays like a PSP game, but you're playing on a much more comfortable controller with more buttons. The only major downsides are that when I say it's "almost like Kojima got an editor", there are some weird bits that still feel definitively his (i.e. there is a character that's stated to be 16, whom is sexualized). Another is that most of the story is conveyed in tapes that can only be listened to outside of normal gameplay; so a good amount of the time you're watching a still picture while someone talks at you. It personally didn't bother me, but I can see the kind of person it would bother.

Edit: vvv drat straight Bob. The only reason PW isn't my favorite MGS is because MGS5 improves on it in almost every way.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 24, 2016

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Peace Walker is a very good game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain Internet posted:

That's a pretty common trend for old PC gamers because if you weren't around for Myst's tremendous hype you don't understand. It was THE video game. Housewives, businessmen, everyone was aware of Myst.

"Guerrillas in the Myst." Wired magazine, Aug 1994

quote:

"It was addictive," he says, "but I knew it had an end. I was pretty sure, anyway. Most of the time. The only problem was when I began clicking on things in real life. I'd see a manhole cover and think, 'Hmmm, that looks pretty interesting,' and my forefinger would start to twitch. And then I'd realize, 'No, it's real life. Real life is the thing that happens in between Myst.'"

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm actually playing MGS5 right now and I LOVE it. It's the most mechanically sound the series has ever been and the Kojima nonsense is relegated to rare cutscenes. Also, some of the Kojima nonsense (D-Dog is great) is wonderful.

I'm planning to pick up Peace Walker just so I can have a similar experience on the go.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Woffle posted:

I'm planning to pick up Peace Walker just so I can have a similar experience on the go.

I'm not sure this is the order you want to go in, because Peace Walker's grindiness and cubicle-sized arenas were what made me wait on MGSV, which sounds like (at launch, anyway) it cut my issues and made for a better game. But holy God, playing PW was a nightmare. Doubly so solo. Boy, bosses tuned for 4x the people were REAL fun solo!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
You should really play Revengeance, too. It knows it's silly and knows what to do with its silliness much better than the mainline Metal Gear series, also there's a super good Platinum game and soundtrack underneath it and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Just remember to let the stick go to neutral before attempting to parry and buy the aerial parry and dodge move ("defensive offense") ASAP. Platinum games have a history of not quite explaining themselves.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

You should really play Revengeance, too. It knows it's silly and knows what to do with its silliness much better than the mainline Metal Gear series, also there's a super good Platinum game and soundtrack underneath it and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Just remember to let the stick go to neutral before attempting to parry and buy the aerial parry and dodge move ("defensive offense") ASAP. Platinum games have a history of not quite explaining themselves.

Yeah, Revengeance is on my list too. I've heard that Peacewalker is worse than MGS5, for sure, but it shows up on sale from time to time so I think it's worth a shot.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
peace walker really isnt that hard if you remember that 99% of the bosses can't hit you when you move, and the one that can telegraphs it bigtime. you have to spend time doing side ops so that your good rocket launchers and poo poo can develop before a boss, but the game is good about going TO BE CONTINUED right before a bossfight, unlike MGSV which just tells you after you pick your loadout that you're going to face the skulls or some poo poo.

the guards in peace walker are also kinda blind and easy to cheese, but overall i feel like it's a more complete game than MGSV, though V plays infinitely better. For a portable metal gear it's by far the best, though, and i basically 100%ed it twice.

It's really a shame that Portable Ops plays like complete garbage and all of the management systems are 110% hosed because it does some cool stuff with the multiple playable characters and disguises and poo poo.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
VGHD has been all about the deep cuts lately. First the "B.B." thing, and now "kiss : chitty :: bang : bang". You just need to bring back "I only like like mountains" and you'll have the full set.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm still holding out for the "The playerbase is super stupid" voice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Woffle posted:

Yeah, Revengeance is on my list too. I've heard that Peacewalker is worse than MGS5, for sure, but it shows up on sale from time to time so I think it's worth a shot.

The thing you'll realize eventually about TPP is that the good stuff is front loaded. Eventually you'll reach a point where it seems like you're doing the same 3 mission objectives over and over. When you feel satisfied just stop, it'll probably be 90 hours in anyways. Konami kept piling their online features up, increasing the necessity of a FOB, adjusting timers and resources, and just making the game more of a chore than ever before.

I'll argue against Peace Walker being "worse" because the game really is bite sized MGS missions and your base is the source of your resources, not this living entity you have to invest hours of time to create. Peace Walker doesn't turn into bullshit until post-game where it unlocks all the hard missions. It's perfectly fine solo from start to finish but yes, post-game content is so impossibly hard that you'll need friends or Buddha-like patience to finish. You have the popularity of Monster Hunter to thank for that.

With the full weight of everything I think Peace Walker is a better game although TPP is a better playing game. It just blows its load early.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The phantom pain really makes it hard for you to replay it. If I wanted to go for a high score in a mission in Peace walker, I'd select the mission, pick my loadout, and go. For TPP, you need to make sure that you can afford the loadout, pick it, deploy in free roam, wait for the helicopter to land, go and setup the mission area (blow up watchtowers, open gates, etc), then go to the start of the mission area, wait for the appropriate time of day, and then start the mission.

If I complete the mission and want to go again, I need to reacquire the resources for the loadout and if I extracted via cargo container (or otherwise modified the world state in a way that was undesirable), I need to play 5 missions in order to respawn it (c2w is the one you do over and over), and then redeploy as above.

Oh, and if I need a top tier weapon that I haven't researched yet, I should grind out a ton of resources and also wait over a week real time.

I'm also a little resentful of the fact that the mission time leaderboards that were present in GZ are absent. I'm not sure what happened that they couldn't be carried over into TPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

al-azad posted:

I'll argue against Peace Walker being "worse" because the game really is bite sized MGS missions and your base is the source of your resources, not this living entity you have to invest hours of time to create. Peace Walker doesn't turn into bullshit until post-game where it unlocks all the hard missions...

With the full weight of everything I think Peace Walker is a better game although TPP is a better playing game. It just blows its load early.

You posted a bunch of what I was thinking.

Peace Walker is a great game, and I don't think having played MGSV will make it seem any worse. The really annoyingly hard stuff is optional, and the small levels are nice! I like a tightly designed gameplay area. Researching stuff in Peace Walker is satisfying; it just leads to fun new stuff every once in a while. Phantom Pain's management thing feels like an actual job and I hate it.

• Locked thread