Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Don't know if it's been posted but I'm currently watching Promethius and there's a part where they walk into a room on an unknown planet, decide that the room has a breathable atmosphere, and all continue to take their helmets off. No scientist would do this and ignore the infinite combination of deaths the helmet is preventing that could be outside of the one square foot of alien planet you're standing in.

I haven't even made it halfway through, so I might be back.

It's not an irrational irritation, and it's been posted before.

It's real dumb and nothing anyone would do irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah the more I watch this the more I'm saying "That is a very very stupid thing to do."

Makes sense that it's been discussed already here so I'll move on.

Edit: "what do you mean, the computer is picking up a life form??" What the gently caress else could it mean you're a god damned scientist.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Jan 24, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rolo posted:

Don't know if it's been posted but I'm currently watching Promethius and there's a part where they walk into a room on an unknown planet, decide that the room has a breathable atmosphere, and all continue to take their helmets off. No scientist would do this and ignore the infinite combination of deaths the helmet is preventing that could be outside of the one square foot of alien planet you're standing in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbzuu14bGgs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a lot to get irrationally irritated about Avengers: AOU. For instance, why add he cape if you're not going to do his phasing power? Meaning his ONLY power in the comics at least.

edit: Why did Ulton build himself a mouth for crying out loud?

Vision actually does phase in exactly one scene. In the big fight scene in the air with the Ultrons he's got his hands through one and there's a glowing green outline around them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the entire point of Prometheus was that everyone was a incompetent moron and then they meet God and God hates them because they are morons and decides to kill all mankind.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the entire point of Prometheus was that everyone was a incompetent moron and then they meet God and God hates them because they are morons and decides to kill all mankind.

It's a bizarre prequel to a franchise about rear end in a top hat aliens murdering space truckers and space marines. Well see ACTUALLY god aliens created humans with mutagoo but it kinda sucked so the aliens decided to put more goo on Earth because there wasn't enough the first time. Then a robot used the goo to make a girl pregnant with an alien Cacodemon which then had sex with a god alien and thegwrerawhyahdradhrs

It's so convoluted and weird.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Rolo posted:

The movie has a lot of stupid moments but we are talking about a space faring race of humans. They rely 100% on technology. That same technology said the environment is safe to take their helmets off. So they took the poo poo off. That decision didn't even effect the plot. In the grand scheme of things, the character who said don't do it was wrong and generally a dumbass.

Granted they all died but they died because aliens came to life and started killing everyone. The helmets wouldnt have changed anything and having them on didn't saved anyone. Hell, a snake ripped open a guy's suit by using the guy's own broken arm. They were dead the moment they went in.

So, the space faring race of humans who use sensor tech to live uses that same tech to see of the air is safe to breath. That tech said it was. So, eithor they don't trust the tech enough to live and haven't left earth yet or they trust it with your lives and are on an uncharted alien world relying on it every second to live. So they did.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
A lot of the goofy poo poo about Ultron can be explained by remembering that he's basically half Tony Stark, so he's a cocky idiot who does things because they seem cool.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prometheus is a really good bad movie.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
IIMM: screenwriters so bad at their jobs that, unable to figure out how to move the plot forward, give a single but pivotal line to an extra, who promptly disappears.

In the first Nolan Batman, at Bruce Wayne's fancy party, a late-middle-aged woman comes up to a distracted Bruce Wayne and says, "Now Bruce, there's someone you just have to meet! [mystery man's back is turned] Now am I pronouncing this right? Mr. Ra's al Ghul?" And then she wanders out of frame. That's it. That's her contribution. Are we supposed to believe she's in on Ra's's plan?? gently caress you, Christopher Nolan! I know you okayed that!

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Van Dis posted:

IIMM: screenwriters so bad at their jobs that, unable to figure out how to move the plot forward, give a single but pivotal line to an extra, who promptly disappears.

In the first Nolan Batman, at Bruce Wayne's fancy party, a late-middle-aged woman comes up to a distracted Bruce Wayne and says, "Now Bruce, there's someone you just have to meet! [mystery man's back is turned] Now am I pronouncing this right? Mr. Ra's al Ghul?" And then she wanders out of frame. That's it. That's her contribution. Are we supposed to believe she's in on Ra's's plan?? gently caress you, Christopher Nolan! I know you okayed that!
Maybe she was just being a bro after Ra's al Ghul told her he was trying to hook up with Bruce but was to nervous to approach him.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Van Dis posted:

'Oh my god, this guy is soooooo boring, I gotta dump him off on someone else, so I can get away. Who's here that slighted me that I can get even with him by dumping him on? Ah, Bruce Wayne said my wine was cheap at the fundraiser gala!'

"Now Bruce, there's someone you just have to meet! [mystery man's back is turned] Now am I pronouncing this right? Mr. Ra's al Ghul?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
"My name is David. Have you been listening to anything?"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

There was one scene where Ultron punchs through an Ultron Bot's chest and it basically looked like a callback to his phasing powers. It is weird he didn't do any actual phasing though. I guess they figured it would be hard for audiences to follow when he's already pulling powers out of his rear end like cape making.

Ultron's plan was to basically recreate a meteor smashing into earth and wiping out humanity. Ultron bots fell apart like they were made of paper (which really undermined the big showdown at the drill) so just building a swarm of them would have been useless.

The twin's origin was sorta explained in an after credits scene in Winter Soldier; they used the power of Loki's staff to create them

Ultron's plan was originally to uplift humanity through disaster. then the avengers piss him off and he goes gently caress humanity i'll let robots run the world

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the entire point of Prometheus was that

Damon Lindelof is a hack and incapable of writing a coherent bedtime story, much less a script.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Van Dis posted:

To be fair, that doesn't annoy me half a much as the sequel, where Bruce Wayne leaves a murderous psychopath and his henchmen in a room full of rich folks because "gently caress it, rescued my girlfriend. I'm sure he'll see himself out now."

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a lot to get irrationally irritated about Avengers: AOU. For instance, why add he cape if you're not going to do his phasing power? Meaning his ONLY power in the comics at least.

edit: Why did Ulton build himself a mouth for crying out loud?

Only power? Vision's got a crazy amount for a marvel hero.

He has, "Density Control" to become hard as a diamond or phase through stuff. Eye beams, or blasting stuff with his solar gem (Which I guess was the Infinity gem or whatever.) which is supposed to be microwave or infrared.. whatever makes sense. Plus all the added benefits of being an android.

Depending on who's writing him he's one of the more powerful avengers.

It was also like his first day alive, maybe he hasn't figured out everything he can do for the movie version.

Edit: All he needs are three more stupid powers, and he'd be a 2nd tier DC hero, Martian Manhunter.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Wild T posted:

To be fair, that doesn't annoy me half a much as the sequel, where Bruce Wayne leaves a murderous psychopath and his henchmen in a room full of rich folks because "gently caress it, rescued my girlfriend. I'm sure he'll see himself out now."

Keep in mind that Bruce Wayne hates rich people.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Keep in mind that Bruce Wayne hates rich people.

Is this why so many people in GBS think they're Batman?

IIMM: in SW: The Force Awakens, C3PO makes a really big deal about his red arm. He didn't make a big deal about his half-silver leg in the other movies. Seemed like an odd couple of lines that drew your attention away from an important interaction.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lincoln posted:

Is this why so many people in GBS think they're Batman?

IIMM: in SW: The Force Awakens, C3PO makes a really big deal about his red arm. He didn't make a big deal about his half-silver leg in the other movies. Seemed like an odd couple of lines that drew your attention away from an important interaction.

I felt like I was hearing a reference to a novel I had not read.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I can't believe I never noticed the silver leg.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Lincoln posted:

It's a joke. Having a red arm doesn't really change his appearance, but he thinks his friends might have trouble recognizing him. He is a goofy robot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kojima and JJ know each other and have hung out so I hope it was a nod to MGSV.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Yes but now they can sell another line of C-3PO toys that are Totally New and Collectible!!! because some eight year old in China painted one of the arms red.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Vision actually does phase in exactly one scene. In the big fight scene in the air with the Ultrons he's got his hands through one and there's a glowing green outline around them.

Pretty sure there's another shot shortly before this where he has just one arm phased through an Ultron. Real blink and you'll miss it moment though.
Source:Got bored last night and watched it again - still can't remember most of it..

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

OutsideAngel posted:

Yes but now they can sell another line of C-3PO toys that are Totally New and Collectible!!! because some eight year old in China painted one of the arms red.

They can also sell you the comic book about how C3P0 got his dumb red arm. It's a whole new extended universe!

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

My favourite part of Prometheus was when they got a perfectly preserved severed alien head,
and they jam an electrode into it's skull
and zap it with electricity to make it start jiggilin', gradually turning up the power until it blows the gently caress up :saddowns:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

wayne curr posted:

My favourite part of Prometheus was when they got a perfectly preserved severed alien head,
and zap it with electricity to make it start jiggilin', gradually turning up the power until it blows the gently caress up :saddowns:

I read a really long analysis about prometheus that said the grimacing severed head is mad not because it hurts to get zapped with electricity, but because humans have gone against nature by bringing him back to life. It is a rictus of existential horror at being alive again. It cited the ridley scott out of universe explanation that jesus was an engineer and they were super mad at us for nailing him to a tree.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

wayne curr posted:

Not sure if ironicposting because this was one of the best parts of a great movie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What if the Prometheus scientists were the worst in their fields, and they were all on board due to some complicated scam the other, actually smart scientists, cooked up to get them off the planet because they were making the field of science look so buffoonish that it was impacting their grant funding?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I love the film RAVENOUS. Love it to bits. It's recently had a resurgence on my radar since I've been listening to the soundtrack and the other night I was browsing Youtube and it came up "Full film" so I clicked it, but it was one of the those pay-for services, you know the ones, right? But it still played the trailer and Jesus...

No wonder it loving bombed. In work otherwise I'd link it, but the trailer plays the film like a teen romance comedy. Right down to THAT voice guy, the teen comedy voice guy. The one that South Park took the piss out of perfectly in the Rob Schneider episode. "Guy Pierce is Captain Boyd, derp de derp derp life got turned upside down when he met a man named Colqhoun derp de derp now he'll find out just how hungry the heart can be dum de dum dum rated PG-13."

I guess this is more of a "Rational Movie Advertising Moment" but come on!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rolo posted:

It's almost like the movie is portraying people who are really bad at their jobs...

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

It's almost like the movie is portraying people who are really bad at their jobs...

...who were all hired by the same person who thinks the mission is moronic and also hates the man funding it...

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

cheerfullydrab posted:

What if the Prometheus scientists were the worst in their fields, and they were all on board due to some complicated scam the other, actually smart scientists, cooked up to get them off the planet because they were making the field of science look so buffoonish that it was impacting their grant funding?

Genius. So instead of being scientists and engineers they are actually the Marx brothers?

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Rolo posted:

They do this constantly in sci-fi movies and TV shows, it drives me nuts. See also: helmets with lights shining directly in the characters' eyes so we can see their faces. Gotta get that face time with the camera!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Not sure if ironicposting because this was one of the best parts of a great movie

WE HAVE VERIFIED EXISTENCE OF EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFE! NOW LET'S JUICE IT THE gently caress UP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

WE HAVE VERIFIED EXISTENCE OF EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFE! NOW LET'S JUICE IT THE gently caress UP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

So you agree

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheerfullydrab posted:

This is pretty close to Douglas Adams' imagined origins for Earth; that we were all the telemarketers and lawyers and other annoying professions of a long-ago faraway civilization, which faked an extinction event in order to get everybody to leave the supposedly dying planet in colony ships, but it ended up after the telemarketers all got on the first colony ship that everybody else just stayed there :)

Also the real reasoning is pretty similar; they were all intentionally bad scientists hired because they were cheap, wouldn't ask questions, and wouldn't get in the way of Weyland's scheming. He didn't really need any actual scientists for his goals, so he didn't bring any.

We've discussed Prometheus to death and beyond already in this thread though.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I had no interest in seeing Prometheus until this thread actually; it sounds delightfully farcical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A stupid thing about that Divergent movie is that they have their warrior faction and they're all covered in tattoos to make them look all bad rear end. Then there's a scene where the main character gets a tattoo and you see they use a weird sci-fi patch instead of needles.