Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Probably too late, but Casanova is super-trippy sci-fi spy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Yeah that looks great too. Parallel universe spies? Sounds good to me.

For Judge Dredd, do I need to start reading at the beginning? Or should I just pick up a few "greatest hits" arcs?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone read "Revival"? The book any good? The premise seemed cool through the Amazon review, but I'm about 5 issues in and I'm feeling kinda "meh" about the whole thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

obi_ant posted:

Anyone read "Revival"? The book any good? The premise seemed cool through the Amazon review, but I'm about 5 issues in and I'm feeling kinda "meh" about the whole thing.

It's probably my favorite series ever dealing with undead people. Because it's very different from what you usually see in those kinds of books and the undead aren't zombies. Plus it's kind of got this small town noir feel to it I love. Also Mike Norton's art is the kind of style I really enjoy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

It's probably my favorite series ever dealing with undead people. Because it's very different from what you usually see in those kinds of books and the undead aren't zombies. Plus it's kind of got this small town noir feel to it I love. Also Mike Norton's art is the kind of style I really enjoy.

Have you seen Les Revenants?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Have you seen Les Revenants?

They share a lot of similar tones and style, but overall I enjoy Revival much more.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I got to about issue 12 or so but quit because it felt like it was spinning its wheels and dragging out the mystery for no reason. Also, without getting into TACTICAL REALISM, I get annoyed by books where I don't feel the characters are appropriately reacting to the enormity of the situation, particularly when they act incurious (and it's a bit more ridiculous given the town is quarantined by... FEMA?). I figure when it's done I might give it another shot.

Rachel Rising has the same problem except the characters act even less interested and after at least 16 issues where nothing was really happening I quit. Also they made the bald guy a sorta-creepy weirdo and as a bald weirdo I don't care for books where the bald weirdo also winds up sorta-creepy.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Bazanga posted:

For Judge Dredd, do I need to start reading at the beginning? Or should I just pick up a few "greatest hits" arcs?

I don't think you'd go wrong starting at the beginning, but you could hop onboard with Case Files 5 and have a pretty good time. You could really easily make arguments for any of the preceding case files, though. Or probably several of the later ones! Check out the Dredd thread and ask there maybe?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Zachack posted:

Rachel Rising has the same problem except the characters act even less interested and after at least 16 issues where nothing was really happening I quit.

Some of the recent issue have been little more than a conversation taking place between two or three characters. It's become sooooo decompressed, which is a shame because the first 25 issues or so were amazing.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I am somewhat new to comics. I grew up on the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and I would like to know the solid, good runs on Spider-Man. I've read pretty far into Ultimate Spider-Man (2000-2009) and I enjoy that a lot. I've also read through most of a trade paperback of the earliest Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stuff, which I also enjoy but it's sort of goofy.
I think what I'm looking for is when the character started wisecracking a lot. Somewhere when he's still in high school or early college, struggling with girls, money, Jameson, all that good stuff. Still a street-level vigilante fighting his own green rogues gallery, not an Avenger or cosmic adventurer. Does this exist or should I stick with Ultimate? I've also seen that there's a new series called Spidey which seems to be aimed at me, so I'll probably check that out at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically yes, you've kinda gone through that period already with the Stan Lee stuff. There's also the spiritual predecessor to Spidey, which is the Marvel Adventures Spider-Man series.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Soggy Cereal posted:

I am somewhat new to comics. I grew up on the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and I would like to know the solid, good runs on Spider-Man. I've read pretty far into Ultimate Spider-Man (2000-2009) and I enjoy that a lot. I've also read through most of a trade paperback of the earliest Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stuff, which I also enjoy but it's sort of goofy.
I think what I'm looking for is when the character started wisecracking a lot. Somewhere when he's still in high school or early college, struggling with girls, money, Jameson, all that good stuff. Still a street-level vigilante fighting his own green rogues gallery, not an Avenger or cosmic adventurer. Does this exist or should I stick with Ultimate? I've also seen that there's a new series called Spidey which seems to be aimed at me, so I'll probably check that out at least.

Marvel unlimited has nearly every Spider-Man comic series and issues available. If you want more college Spider-Man that would be Lee/ditko or Lee/Romita. Miles Morales Spider-Man stuff could scratch this itch too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah he graduated from High School and started college somewhere around the #30's of the original Lee/Ditko run. It is quite goofy but a lot of it is still the most tolerable Stan Lee stuff, particularly as the run goes on and Romita comes on board.

You could also check out Roger Stern's run, which is a bit more modern.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah he graduated from High School and started college somewhere around the #30's of the original Lee/Ditko run. It is quite goofy but a lot of it is still the most tolerable Stan Lee stuff, particularly as the run goes on and Romita comes on board.

You could also check out Roger Stern's run, which is a bit more modern.

Yeah I was about to suggest Stern's run which I am reading right now. It seems to be exactly what you are asking for.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The X-Thread mentioned that Pixie Strikes Back is "very Kathryn Immonen" and that made me realize I've read nothing by her. Any Kathryn Immonen recommendations? Obviously PSB, but besides that, any other very Immonen books that are a good way to get introduced to the writer?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Patsy Walker: Hellcat.

For the most part, I enjoyed her Wolverine and Jubilee run where Jubilee is dealing with being a vampire and I liked her Sif story in Journey into Mystery (though I've heard complaints about Sif being out of character).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

The X-Thread mentioned that Pixie Strikes Back is "very Kathryn Immonen" and that made me realize I've read nothing by her. Any Kathryn Immonen recommendations? Obviously PSB, but besides that, any other very Immonen books that are a good way to get introduced to the writer?
Pasty Walker Hellcat x1000 everyday
Avengers Annual 1 (during the Hickman era)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Aw man, did not realize Wolverine and Jubilee was Immonen somehow. I liked it a lot.

Sounds like I need to read me some Hellcat. Thanks y'all!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah I was about to suggest Stern's run which I am reading right now. It seems to be exactly what you are asking for.

I have unlimited, what issue does Stern's run start at?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

Pasty Walker Hellcat x1000 everyday
Avengers Annual 1 (during the Hickman era)

That's the one where Iron Man ships her off to Alaska, right? That book is great.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Skwirl posted:

I have unlimited, what issue does Stern's run start at?

The Amazing Spider-Man No. 206, 224–227, 229–252, 580, 627–629, Annual No. 15–17, 22, Annual '97 is what he wrote

He also did some work on Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man. I don't know how many issues

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 19, 2016

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
My omni is at work but I'll try to remember to post what's in it tomorrow. There is a good chunk of PPTSS before Amazing starts up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

My omni is at work but I'll try to remember to post what's in it tomorrow. There is a good chunk of PPTSS before Amazing starts up.
Here's the issue list from comicbookdb.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah he started on Spectacular before Amazing, then was writing them both.

I've never read his run actually, I really should get that omni.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Stern omnibus is actually the only Spider-Man thing I own at the moment. I keep meaning to get the Lee/Ditko omnibuses because they seem to be constantly republished but there always seems to be something else I want to spend my money on.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I picked up Vol 1 of the Ostrander Suicide Squad, which includes "The Secret Origin of the Suicide Squad". Since this Secret Origins issue is technically "Part 22" of the crossover Legends, should I read Legends as well?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

I picked up Vol 1 of the Ostrander Suicide Squad, which includes "The Secret Origin of the Suicide Squad". Since this Secret Origins issue is technically "Part 22" of the crossover Legends, should I read Legends as well?

Legends is a great little event written by Ostrander. You only need the six issues of the main series though, which is about to be reprinted. The Secret Origins issue takes care of a bit of the after effects of the mini and also sets up later stuff. Legends is effectively SS Volume 0.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 20, 2016

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can't speak as to whether you should read the event, but I don't think anything has come up in the first two trades of Suicide Squad that requires it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I can't speak as to whether you should read the event, but I don't think anything has come up in the first two trades of Suicide Squad that requires it.
Oh, agreed. But you do get to see each member "recruited" and one issue is all about the newly formed Squad saving the day, allowing Waller the government support to keep going.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Let me just double check before I finish this purchase. The collections of Concrete by Paul Chadwick go
1 Depths
2 Heights
3 Fragile Creature

Also, recomend me something else to get whilst I'm in a buying mood. I like books by Charles Burns, Farel Dalrymple, Grant Morrison, Michael DeForge, Simon Hanselmann and Brandon Graham. I generally prefer shorter, more focused works (""graphic novels"" I guess) to multi-volume affairs. The last few things I have read are Epileptic by David B, Fun House by Alison Bechdel, Why Are You Doing This by Jason, Safari Honeymoon by Jesse Jacobs and a collection of Optic Nerve by Adrian Tomine. Of these, Epileptic was my favourite but the others were also great (didn't super care for Safari Honeymoon). I've got From Hell and Blue Is The Warmest Colour floating around unread. Recommend me something, please :)

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 22, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You might as well read Are You My Mother? by Bechdel, then. It's about her relationship with her mom, much like Fun Home is about her dad. It's a lot more navel-gazey in her armchair shrink tendencies, though. The parts that flowed and were most compelling for me were actually the brief sequences about her life post-coming out and her relationship with her first therapist.

Also would recommend the big collected version of her syndicated comic strip. It's quite soap opera-y, but it's neat to see her evolving as a cartoonist, both in terms of technical drawing proficiency, but also in adding nuance to her worldview and bringing it into the narrative.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I've been using the winter to slowly creep my way back to catching up. I just finished on the Marvel side, I have a giant stack of indie books I'm going through, and now, after safely viewing the weird poo poo DC's been through from a safe distance, I'm curious to see read any good/interesting runs from the last two years or so.

I'm not usually a fan of their general talent pool, but seeing de-powered Superman, Jim Gordon's Robocop , JLA New Gods, and a Robin Army, I have to know. What's worth checking out and where should I jump in?

It's worth noting I am not a huge fan of Johns, all things considered, but if it's a decent story, I won't were him off immediately.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JL's actually been quite good since Forever Evil (#30), and his Superman run was great.
Greg Pak's Action Comics is a beautiful thing. That'll take you to current day. Start at #25.
Scott Snyder's Batman is well worth reading. This Jim Gordon Batman era is fun, but Zero Year was just beautiful. Do it.
The Robin War even was just okay, but some of the comics involved are worth getting into. Robin: Son of Batman (and earlier Batman and Robin) is a lot of fun and has crazy good art, and Grayson is one of the best comics out there and should get you buying more Tom King books, which will just improve your life.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 23, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The best DC books are: Grayson, Legend of Wonder Woman (a digital book), and Robin Son of Batman. Other comics worth reading that are currently going include Midnighter and Black Canary. That's about all I can recommend.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hey guys. I'm reading through the Multiversity HC and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Granted that I'm not too far into it (Pax Americana, Watchmen throw back), but from what I gathered, it is a bunch of on shots, that *sort* of tie into the first issue which is the cursed comic book? I'm assuming that all the one shots are alternate universes in the DC world? Is all of this going to tie in together at the end?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

obi_ant posted:

Hey guys. I'm reading through the Multiversity HC and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Granted that I'm not too far into it (Pax Americana, Watchmen throw back), but from what I gathered, it is a bunch of on shots, that *sort* of tie into the first issue which is the cursed comic book? I'm assuming that all the one shots are alternate universes in the DC world? Is all of this going to tie in together at the end?

The Guidebook (the issue two after Pax Americana) sets it out a bit more concretely, but you've got the gist of it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The PLOT plot with the Multiverse Squad is really all in the first, last and Guidebook issues with the rest being peeps into worlds being subtly effected by the Gentry. Some are pretty vital to the story (Thunderworld) and some aren't at all (Mastermen) but they're really just fun exercises in storytelling and comicbook eras for GMo.
You'll see all of the universes and more shown off with bios in the Guidebook.

e: Anyone got a link to the footnotes site? That'll really help with DC history/literary references.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 24, 2016

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm reading through the guidebook now. Out of the 52 worlds, which ones are "real" comic book lines?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

obi_ant posted:

I'm reading through the guidebook now. Out of the 52 worlds, which ones are "real" comic book lines?

Earth-0 is the main DC universe. Earth-1 and Earth-2 are the settings of the books of the same names. Earth-3 pops up frequently as the main evil alt-universe.

Lots of the others are Elseworlds or famous AUs (eg New Frontier is 21, Red Son is 30, DCAU is 12 and 50).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I dug up a box of some of my old comics and had a blast reading them over the weekend. Titles like The Goon, Y The Last Man, and American Splendor (probably my favorite). I've been out of the loop so long I wouldn't even know which titles are worth my hard earned money anymore. I typically don't like superhero comics, although I really liked The Watchman, and some of the Batman titles like The Last Halloween friends have loaned me. Any other books out right now like that are funny like The Goon or American Splendor or non-superhero adventure stories like Y The Last Man?