Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.

Krinkle posted:

In Darkest Dungeons, and I just got it today, I tried doing an easy fishman dungeon and got three fights in a row where I was surprised and my ranks got shuffled and everyone got murdered while I tried to move my can-only-attack-from-the-front guy back to the front and my can't-heal-from-the-front guys to the back but they can only move a certain number of spaces and the turn order they got called in means everyone pushes each other out of the way and nobody gets where they need to be. And now they're gone forever. ANd I knew they were going to die, I knew once they started dying I had no hope, but there's no "gently caress this, gently caress you, go ahead and kill them see if I give a gently caress" option. I tried quitting and reloading but it made me go right back into that doomed fight and spend another five minutes watching them follow the fighter into death and completely fail to attack now that there was no longer a back row to use their skills from.

That's all I want. A surrender button. Is that so much to ask? I don't even want to go back in knowing there's no way to give up once it's hopeless.

there is literally a white flag flee button in the top left hand corner of the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Botswana! posted:

there is literally a white flag flee button in the top left hand corner of the screen

I don't know if they changed it but the build I played it only appears out of a battle, or in battle if someone eats dirt so that may be why he missed it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda a broad, nonspecific thing, but Christ, I am sick of playing comparatively obscure (non-AAA, middle-budget, however you want to define it) games that are relatively new.

It's not because of bugs or anything, it's because there's scarce guides/tricks/whatevers online for them, being so new. Can't figure out what a mission is telling me to do? Things I should know in advance to avoid screwing things up or wasting time? Stuff I might be missing that's important? Good luck finding that poo poo out when everything about a game is relatively new.

It's even worse if the game has a generic name, can't even really google for it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can understand that, yeah. With some genres (FPS) you can just roll with it, but if you're playing an RGP you generally need to know what you're doing. Just now, playing Baldur's Gate: EE I'm surprised at how little information there is on the new companions and quests.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RillAkBea posted:

Just play the game and try to enjoy it?

If I'm looking the game up for some reason, I'm not having fun. Either I'm stuck or lost on something.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Botswana! posted:

Ugh, they attached it to the wax seal ribbon declaring what I have to do to win so why would I ever look closer to see it's also the retreat button? I feel dumb but also that's a dumb place to put it. And I don't want these broken idiots to live. I'm out of money and can't heal them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon's Dogma: The inability to check a pawn's inclination from the pawn summoning menu. A pawn's inclination changes up its AI, and needless to say you would want certain inclinations with certain classes (medicant and utilitarian for heal/buff mages) and there are some inclinations which are trash (guardian, which makes the pawn stand right next to you and not bother fighting any enemies who are not right next to you). Since you can't check them from the summon menu you'll have to summon up to 5 pawns, then wait for them to appear in the rift, talk to them, access their profile and check their inclinations there.

Especially frustrating when all the pawns at your level have poo poo inclinations so you have to check another level ranges and you check 20 odd pawns to see they all have guardian and acquisitor (they'll gather loot instead of fighting).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would always just search for all the pawns of the class I wanted near my level, then by the time I had gotten rid of all the ones with guardian AI or ones that looked like they'd been made by a pedophile, there were something like 2 left. Sounds like things haven't changed on the PC version.

Luckily I eventually found literal teddy roosevelt available for hire in the postgame, and he was such a powerful sorcerer I never needed to replace him. (in dragon's dogma, the big stick summons meteors.)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Darkest Dungeons:
I hate these obtuse no-hint dumb poo poo random encounters.
I've read about 30 piles of scrolls. 90% of the time you don't like what you read and get -20 sanity. The rest of the time you get a map. Is that it? Is that what they're good for? I got tired of the constant gently caress-you 20 sanity hits so I used an item on them. I used a torch. "Your character feels really guilty about destroying Knowledge. Double gently caress you -50 sanity and now he likes to jack off constantly so good luck with the rest of the dungeon"

The first thing they tell you when playing a lovecraftian sanity game is to burn the books but I guess there is literally no good way to touch a pile of scrolls. Thanks very much.

I hate how you can use any item for any random encounter. And it won't work. And it takes the item.
I used a shovel on a corpse. Does this help at all? No, it does nothing. Also nice shovel, it's mine now. I used a key on a box without a lock. That does nothing also apparently you just toss keys over your shoulder and forget about them if you can't find a keyhole. I used a diamond on an altar? Anything? Nope also gently caress your diamond. Diamond is the hardest substance on earth but you somehow figured out a way to break it on an altar. If an item does literally nothing hand it back to me, assholes, it's called a learning curve and not making a game that 100% necessitates you looking up everything on a wiki because it overly punishes experimentation.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, curios are honestly bullshit. I really enjoy Darkest Dungeon and I'll argue that the game is difficult but fair, but curios are bullshit.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

Just use the wiki for them. The game will be miles better for it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Darkest Dungeons seems obnoxious for a rogue like. If you complete the easy missions, they're gone forever. If the guys you spent all your money on die, well, gently caress! Now have to throw level 0 scrubs into the meat grinder with no torches or food so they will 100% get hosed up and die and keep you in debt.

I never hosed up so bad in rogue legacy I had to delete my save to start over.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RillAkBea posted:

Just play the game and try to enjoy it?

Or wait until the game's been around long enough to have guides and walkthroughs before you play it. As a bonus, that way you get it cheaper as well.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Krinkle posted:

Darkest Dungeons seems obnoxious for a rogue like. If you complete the easy missions, they're gone forever. If the guys you spent all your money on die, well, gently caress! Now have to throw level 0 scrubs into the meat grinder with no torches or food so they will 100% get hosed up and die and keep you in debt.

I never hosed up so bad in rogue legacy I had to delete my save to start over.

Yeah I just don't 'get' darkest dungeon anymore. I generally enjoy modern roguelikes (FTL, Spelunky, Crypt of the Necrodancer) but DD is the one where most of the time I died it felt like it was because of endless lovely RNG rather than my own fuckups. Its like its trying to appeal to the hardcore demographic by just piling on ever higher amounts of random nonsense and aggravating mechanics to just add difficulty for difficulty's sake, though to be fair they at least made corpses optional (though its still a nonsensical, infuriating mechanic). And the weird thing is that it doesn't really have any explicit failure state so it doesn't even have the 'stakes' that I enjoy in games like XCOM where you have situations where everything hangs in the balance and if you fail the aliens conquer earth or something. In DD you can get everyone killed and you just send in another goon squad in the next day to try to grind through it again.

I liked the concept, and early on when the game was in EA I found it really fun but now I'm just completely done with it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This is more of a "weird" thing than a "dragging the game down argh" thing, but:

Lego Jurassic World

Instead of going with mime like the older games, voice clips from the movies are used for the major characters' dialogue, though often edited to fit the comedic cliff's notes style of the game. Minor characters (for example, the animal handler with the sick Triceratops in the first movie) get new voice acting with soundalikes to bridge story gaps, give tutorials and crack jokes.

Works great for the first two movies, then you hit JP3. The only original voices for JP3 are Dr. Grant and Paul Kirby (the dad), so you have three main characters revoiced (Amanda Kirby, Billy, Grant's assistant, and either Udesky the merc or the kid whose name I forget) and they do not shut up. Annoying, but what makes it weird is that it's the over-explaining tutorial-type chatter, spelling out puzzles and commenting on every step, despite that it's the third movie and to even get to those sections you had to go through JP and Lost World. And when it's not that, it's just empty lines like "this way!" "over here!" "just a bit farther now!" and such. And all the while, Grant and Paul are silent even when addressed or talked about since they only have movie lines. During a chase level, they even run off on a different path as NPCs so Billy and Amanda can have more dialogue while running from raptors.

It's ultimately pretty minor, since the lines don't show up in Free Play, but it really stood out in comparison to the first two.

Also the game relentlessly mocks the Spinosaurus, which is annoying because Spinosaurus is cool.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Byzantine posted:

Also the game relentlessly mocks the Spinosaurus, which is annoying because Spinosaurus is cool.

Spinosaurus was a chump that clearly spent most of its time eating fish, people only like it because it's big. funnily enough I've heard that some scientists think its odd straddling of crocodile and predatory dinosaur features was so that it could move between lifestyles and habitats to avoid competing with Carcharodontosaurus or Giant Crocodiles depending on the location. So it was specifically designed to avoid conflict, which I just find brilliant since so many people are obsessed with it fighting other giant dinos.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Krinkle posted:

In Darkest Dungeons, and I just got it today, I tried doing an easy fishman dungeon and got three fights in a row where I was surprised and my ranks got shuffled and everyone got murdered while I tried to move my can-only-attack-from-the-front guy back to the front and my can't-heal-from-the-front guys to the back but they can only move a certain number of spaces and the turn order they got called in means everyone pushes each other out of the way and nobody gets where they need to be. And now they're gone forever. ANd I knew they were going to die, I knew once they started dying I had no hope, but there's no "gently caress this, gently caress you, go ahead and kill them see if I give a gently caress" option. I tried quitting and reloading but it made me go right back into that doomed fight and spend another five minutes watching them follow the fighter into death and completely fail to attack now that there was no longer a back row to use their skills from.

That's all I want. A surrender button. Is that so much to ask? I don't even want to go back in knowing there's no way to give up once it's hopeless.

There is a surrender button top left, right next to the abandon quest button.

E; ooops should refresh.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Witcher 3 has like 5 different sex scenes but no cum shots. How am I supposed to masturbate to this?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Witcher 3 has like 5 different sex scenes but no cum shots. How am I supposed to masturbate to this?

You're supposed to immerse yourself by ejaculating in place of Geralt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've had Darkest Dungeon for awhile and the only way I can really enjoy it is with cheat engine. I know that isn't in the spirit of the game but I love the setting just not the meat grinder aspect.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See I quite enjoy DD, but I am making sure that I flee at the first sign of "I am going to get murdelered"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I bought Tomb Raider 2013 for like $15 during a Steam sale, and WHY THE gently caress is there no option to have an onscreen minimap? it's loving annoying having to constantly stop running to open up the map to make sure i'm going to the right place. I know that's small, but it's pretty loving important considering how much random poo poo you have to find in this game for 100% completion.

Also: the voice acting for Lara is embarrassingly bad.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FourLeaf posted:

I bought Tomb Raider 2013 for like $15 during a Steam sale, and WHY THE gently caress is there no option to have an onscreen minimap? it's loving annoying having to constantly stop running to open up the map to make sure i'm going to the right place. I know that's small, but it's pretty loving important considering how much random poo poo you have to find in this game for 100% completion.

Also: the voice acting for Lara is embarrassingly bad.

You're not supposed to use the map for that, you're supposed to mash the detective mode(instinct?) button instead since it puts a big beam of light and a compass icon where you have to go.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Hel posted:

You're not supposed to use the map for that, you're supposed to mash the detective mode(instinct?) button instead since it puts a big beam of light and a compass icon where you have to go.

That's still annoying because detective mode turns off if you don't stand still, so if you're far away you still have to repeatedly run and stop over and over again.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FourLeaf posted:

That's still annoying because detective mode turns off if you don't stand still, so if you're far away you still have to repeatedly run and stop over and over again.

Which is why I said to mash it, but Yeah it really sucks, though it might save you a bit of annoyance compared to checking the map all the time. Detective vision really ruined a lot of games, because why make the environment readable when you can press a button to highlight all the necessary stuff. You basically have two vision modes: Useful & Pretty. put you can't make it too useful since then the player doesn't look at the pretty stuff, so let's gimp it by having you move slowly or some other bullshit.

Hel has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Jan 24, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can scarcely start Wasteland 2: Director's Cut because the character creation system is so horrible dense and archaic. Half the stats overlap in what they can do and you're given very little points to begin with that you have to min-max. Strength seems to do everything while Intelligence is wasteful unless you have it a certain value. The new Fallouts/Pillars/Shadowruns had at least the good idea for each stat to have a different job.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can scarcely start Wasteland 2: Director's Cut because the character creation system is so horrible dense and archaic. Half the stats overlap in what they can do and you're given very little points to begin with that you have to min-max. Strength seems to do everything while Intelligence is wasteful unless you have it a certain value. The new Fallouts/Pillars/Shadowruns had at least the good idea for each stat to have a different job.

Wasteland 2 is a grognard game. It's made for the type of gamer who pours over a manual for hours before even starting the game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Mokinokaro posted:

Wasteland 2 is a grognard game. It's made for the type of gamer who pours over a manual for hours before even starting the game.

Or someone who cheats and edits in extra points. It's a pretty good game though and what dragged it down for me was mostly that it's also really ugly and that it had to compete with Divinity: Original Sin for my time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thankfully Wasteland 2 is very merciful as long as you got decent base stats. I used "Slow but Skilled" from this guide and there were very few tough battles and I was able to max all skills. The game gives you plenty of skills and perks so making unoptimized choices isn't dangerous.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jan 24, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is it wrong to say the thing dragging Diablo 3 down is other people getting loot and not me?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

khwarezm posted:

Spinosaurus was a chump that clearly spent most of its time eating fish, people only like it because it's big. funnily enough I've heard that some scientists think its odd straddling of crocodile and predatory dinosaur features was so that it could move between lifestyles and habitats to avoid competing with Carcharodontosaurus or Giant Crocodiles depending on the location. So it was specifically designed to avoid conflict, which I just find brilliant since so many people are obsessed with it fighting other giant dinos.

And Velociraptor was two feet high, Mosasaurus was nowhere near big enough to eat a great white shark whole, Tyrannosaurus couldn't keep up with a Jeep and Pteranodon couldn't lift a full-grown human, but for some reason people are suddenly really, honestly concerned with scientific accuracy when it comes to Spinosaurus.

Not that I'm denying the new discoveries or anything (the real animals are even cooler), but licensed games pandering to the whiny fanbase isn't good.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Byzantine posted:

And Velociraptor was two feet high, Mosasaurus was nowhere near big enough to eat a great white shark whole, Tyrannosaurus couldn't keep up with a Jeep and Pteranodon couldn't lift a full-grown human, but for some reason people are suddenly really, honestly concerned with scientific accuracy when it comes to Spinosaurus.

Not that I'm denying the new discoveries or anything (the real animals are even cooler), but licensed games pandering to the whiny fanbase isn't good.

It can all be explained with the filling-in-gaps part of their genetic makeups.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Aleph Null posted:

It can all be explained with the filling-in-gaps part of their genetic makeups.

Yeah it makes perfect sense when you fill in lots and lots of bullshit.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Didn't Michael Chriton take the Deinonychus and give it the name of another dinosaur because Velociraptor sounded cooler?

I can totally picture a scene where some self-important executive goes into the lab and tells the scientists they have to call their dinosaurs different names so they can market them better.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Darkest dungeon makes me really sad. I've supported it from the very beginning and now that it's come out of early access it just isn't fun. Walking into a battle and having slimes spawn forever, skills that didn't proc properly or apply buffs like the descriptions said, classes having bizarre restrictions...These are all things that should have been fixed for release but still haven't been.

I have no idea what they were thinking. There were a million other ways to go about this but they chose to cater to the "hardcore" crowd. The worst part is there is genuinely a good game under all this that got buried by the weird idea that more rng=better/harder game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dr Christmas posted:

Didn't Michael Chriton take the Deinonychus and give it the name of another dinosaur because Velociraptor sounded cooler?

Sort of, I believe that he also called them Velociraptor because of a controversy at the time regarding their taxonomy. If you want a dinosaur very similar to Velociraptor but which were even larger than the ones in the film you could alternatively use Utahraptor or Dakotaraptor (the latter lived alongside tyrannosaurus for extra cool points).

Byzantine posted:

I was being a bit facetious, but as a dinosaur nerd I find it a bit silly to treat Spinosaurus as emperor badass of all the dinosaurs just cause it was really big. It would be like if in 60 million years the dominant race of mutant squid people start making movies about the prehistoric animals of now, and they have the most dangerous, kickass animal of them all be a panda bear.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

Yeah I just don't 'get' darkest dungeon anymore. I generally enjoy modern roguelikes (FTL, Spelunky, Crypt of the Necrodancer) but DD is the one where most of the time I died it felt like it was because of endless lovely RNG rather than my own fuckups. Its like its trying to appeal to the hardcore demographic by just piling on ever higher amounts of random nonsense and aggravating mechanics to just add difficulty for difficulty's sake, though to be fair they at least made corpses optional (though its still a nonsensical, infuriating mechanic). And the weird thing is that it doesn't really have any explicit failure state so it doesn't even have the 'stakes' that I enjoy in games like XCOM where you have situations where everything hangs in the balance and if you fail the aliens conquer earth or something. In DD you can get everyone killed and you just send in another goon squad in the next day to try to grind through it again.

I liked the concept, and early on when the game was in EA I found it really fun but now I'm just completely done with it.

Yeah, I steam refunded it pretty quick. I like hard games as long as the difficulty is consistent and fair. If something bad happens to you, you should be able to see exactly what you did wrong and try to do it better next time. It rubs me the wrong way when you can do everything right and still have some lazy RNG-based design gently caress you over.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm kind of wondering how you guys are managing to get so badly hosed over by DD. I mean the fights are sometimes hard and tricky but its not impossible.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Darkest dungeon makes me really sad. I've supported it from the very beginning and now that it's come out of early access it just isn't fun. Walking into a battle and having slimes spawn forever, skills that didn't proc properly or apply buffs like the descriptions said, classes having bizarre restrictions...These are all things that should have been fixed for release but still haven't been.

I have no idea what they were thinking. There were a million other ways to go about this but they chose to cater to the "hardcore" crowd. The worst part is there is genuinely a good game under all this that got buried by the weird idea that more rng=better/harder game.

It's even better because they kept buffing the enemies and nerfing the players so now enemies crit more than ever and crits hurt more than ever, getting damaged heavily will leave your characters with permanent debuffs and getting high stress will kill them outright(btw your stress heals are pitiful and the last dungeon loves to throw enemies that do nothing but spam stress attacks) and your one real grace, camping, has been nerfed so hard there's barely even a point to using it anymore. It was a fun game, I loved it. Then in a very short period of time they just piled on bullshit after bullshit and declared it done.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Josef bugman posted:

I'm kind of wondering how you guys are managing to get so badly hosed over by DD. I mean the fights are sometimes hard and tricky but its not impossible.

Didn't they make it so that you couldn't put certain classes in the same party because they synergised too well?

I mean come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

It's even better because they kept buffing the enemies and nerfing the players so now enemies crit more than ever and crits hurt more than ever, getting damaged heavily will leave your characters with permanent debuffs and getting high stress will kill them outright(btw your stress heals are pitiful and the last dungeon loves to throw enemies that do nothing but spam stress attacks) and your one real grace, camping, has been nerfed so hard there's barely even a point to using it anymore. It was a fun game, I loved it. Then in a very short period of time they just piled on bullshit after bullshit and declared it done.

I remember when it was fun! I remember it being hard- fuckin' hard- but fun! drat, dude, my team's made up of three gibbering madmen and one who's gone full idiot hero but I think we can pull through and get that last room, let's do this poo poo! The three can't get worse and the one gets a crit every other attack, and if we pull through we'll be able to asylum up all three of 'em, let's fuckin go!

And then everything that's come out since has just been racking up the difficulty until, gently caress, why bother? I could barely hack it when it was "easy."

E: Yeah, anything that is deliberately stopping you from using good synergies is just hosed. If two classes are too good in concert and you can't design around that poo poo, saying "well you just can't use them together" is poo poo-tier game design, especially when it's literally a special case involving one specific class. The proper response is to put in a bunch of other cool synergies for players to discover, because that is where the fun is.

As it stands, I feel like the game has devolved into "if you play perfectly and the RNG smiles upon you, you might make it through some basic dungeons" as opposed to the old system which was more "holy gently caress dude how did you pull through there at the end (which honestly isn't too difficult but it sure feels like it in the heat of the moment)?"

Somfin has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Jan 25, 2016