Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

verbal enema posted:

Am I supposed to use the water pump? I'm at 6k people and i'm doing just fine off of water towers and my two drains

which are just doing a wonderful job of painting my river red in pollution view

Pumps are twice as good, cost wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

Am I supposed to use the water pump? I'm at 6k people and i'm doing just fine off of water towers and my two drains

which are just doing a wonderful job of painting my river red in pollution view

They're more efficient, and eventually you'll probably just find them easier to deal with than plopping down water towers everywhere. It's really easy to just pick a spot on the coast that's out of the way, set up a big line of pumps, then just not really worry about water again ever. Provided this is on a map where such a setup won't end up draining the river right out.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've killed too many entire cities by accidentally expanding an industrial area too close to a water tower. To prevent that, I just make a big conga line of pumps at the furthest upstream I can get, and a big line of outflows at the furthest downstream I can get.

Typically I prefer the treatment plant to the outflow pipe just for the aesthetics of fewer poopstreaked beaches.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
A long time ago someone posted a great guide on how to design realistic interchange and stuff but I can't find it anymore ... Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

FOUND IT: It was Koesj guide (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495789494)

Le0 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 23, 2016

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Well they're ramblings on how you might do realistic interchanges anyway :v:

Also I should maybe touch that up what with some of the new possibilities of sharp angles, but I can't bear to re-read my own writing.

e: also as a special tribute to BaronJutter I have taken down my riverside elevated highway.

Instead, a new, trenched freeway will absolutely destroy any connection my downtown has with the rest of the city :unsmigghh:

When I'm done I'll bulldoze about half of the remaining nice buildings and replace them with surface parking.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Koesj posted:

Well they're ramblings on how you might do realistic interchanges anyway :v:

Also I should maybe touch that up what with some of the new possibilities of sharp angles, but I can't bear to re-read my own writing.

e: also as a special tribute to BaronJutter I have taken down my riverside elevated highway.

Instead, a new, trenched freeway will absolutely destroy any connection my downtown has with the rest of the city :unsmigghh:

When I'm done I'll bulldoze about half of the remaining nice buildings and replace them with surface parking.

you are a monster

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Koesj posted:

Ooh. Speaking of which…

…I often (try to) build sunk freeways using Fine Road Heights — put the freeway at -6m and it's still out in the open, easy to work with, and easy to keep an eye on. The problem I'm having is that when building, the road always tries to revert to 0m as soon as possible after its starting point, and then slope down to the end depth. The only way to avoid this is if I make sure to build very short stretches or not connect it to anything.

So it ends up looking like this, rather than stay at a consistent -6m throughout the entire length of the road:

Does anyone know if this is a problem with FNR (the game assumes one of the regular 12m distances will be used for “flat” road) and/or if there is something that can be done to avoid it? It only happens if I extend an existing road — a new bit starting at -6m and ending at -6m will stay at -6 all the way through, and building a stretch that's so short that raising it from -6 to 0 leads to an invalid grade also keeps it from happening.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 23, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the name of the mod that lets you do the sharper angled intersections?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I wouldn't mind paying for an expansion that let me have more loving workshop assets without the game crashing especially considering the workshop is an advertised feature

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Bold Robot posted:

What's the name of the mod that lets you do the sharper angled intersections?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553184329

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Tippis posted:

Ooh. Speaking of which…

…I often (try to) build sunk freeways using Fine Road Heights — put the freeway at -6m and it's still out in the open, easy to work with, and easy to keep an eye on. The problem I'm having is that when building, the road always tries to revert to 0m as soon as possible after its starting point, and then slope down to the end depth. The only way to avoid this is if I make sure to build very short stretches or not connect it to anything.

So it ends up looking like this, rather than stay at a consistent -6m throughout the entire length of the road:

Does anyone know if this is a problem with FNR (the game assumes one of the regular 12m distances will be used for “flat” road) and/or if there is something that can be done to avoid it? It only happens if I extend an existing road — a new bit starting at -6m and ending at -6m will stay at -6 all the way through, and building a stretch that's so short that raising it from -6 to 0 leads to an invalid grade also keeps it from happening.

I know exactly what you speak of and can't for the life of me work my way around it. Max 12c distance it is, when connecting parts together, which means creating helper road pieces perpendicular to the inside curves so you can line up parallel roadways :( Also, gently caress having to do height changes during all this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HORMELCHILI posted:

I wouldn't mind paying for an expansion that let me have more loving workshop assets without the game crashing especially considering the workshop is an advertised feature
I too would like a video game publisher to patch more RAM into my machine and physically hurt modders who upload nonoptimized assets.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Koesj posted:

I know exactly what you speak of and can't for the life of me work my way around it. Max 12c distance it is, when connecting parts together, which means creating helper road pieces perpendicular to the inside curves so you can line up parallel roadways :( Also, gently caress having to do height changes during all this.

You're using the same technique, I'm guessing? It's so annoying because those semi-sunk roads look so much better and makes it so much easier to build overpasses. I suppose I could bug FRH's developer but like I said, I have a sneaky suspicion that's built into the core of C:S' road-laying maths to assume that only certain heights (and depths) will be used. Bummer…

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

zedprime posted:

I too would like a video game publisher to patch more RAM into my machine and physically hurt modders who upload nonoptimized assets.

Ive got 16 gigs of ram its definitely not that.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I've gotten back into the game recently and loaded the game up with a ton of mods. noticed it was using almost 13GB of ram at one point :stare:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm working on a _single_ asset and noticed 3ds Max using up 11GB :sweatdrop:

But that probably shouldn't count.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I just realized that my mobo maker said mobo supports only 6x2GB of memory. But it was only because of bigger sticks not being available back in the day... so I could in fact move to 6x4GB or 6x8GB if I ever found cheap 1333mhz ddr3 sticks. Or just save the money for Broadwell-E.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can anyone recommend a good multi-track train station? The Workshop is being wonky right now and I'm having trouble searching it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Ive got 16 gigs of ram its definitely not that.

What about VRAM? How many assets?

I don't think your problem is common.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ive got a gtx 970 and im def subscribed to a shitload of assets, but in the past ive gone in and deleted all buildings that were over like, 8mb in size. If its gonna crash it consistently does so at the paradox logo during the intro and the only thing that ever fixes it is clearing out assets

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
How many assets are you running? Lots of complicated mods?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've got a train network connected to the outside existing connection, built a train station, set the district for tourism, and built tourism facilities. How long until people start to show?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Network Extensions just had an update, one cell-wide roads are IN!

AvidAcid
May 30, 2004

oh christ
Made a map because why not: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=607092046

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I somehow made a large roundabout get clogged with fire trucks and police cars, backing up all the way off the map. What the hell lol

e: ALL of it is from off the map. Why am I being invaded by police?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 23, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's full of stars
https://i.imgur.com/Co70NfO.gifv

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Impressive. Not very sane or sensible, but impressive.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Well done, this thread hasn't been producing hypnotizing gifs in a long time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does anyone know if I have a multi-track train station and the multi-track enabler mod, will trains coming to or going from off the map stop there and use it as a normal station? Or is it only for local trains?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know those sci-fi movies where you see city-planets from orbit and they always have these giant circles drawn in light?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

Does anyone know if I have a multi-track train station and the multi-track enabler mod, will trains coming to or going from off the map stop there and use it as a normal station? Or is it only for local trains?

They'll use it, they'll generally just pick 1 platform, I think it's what ever the first/default platform is vs the ones you get by holding shift. Or at least that's how the few I've tried work.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how do i keep people in industry jobs. my cities always have a problem where after a certain amount of time industry areas always have "Not Enough Workers" :saddowns:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

verbal enema posted:

how do i keep people in industry jobs. my cities always have a problem where after a certain amount of time industry areas always have "Not Enough Workers" :saddowns:

Zone more residential, ignore you demand bars, base growth off unemployment. Try to keep it as high as possible. Sometimes the system can take quite a while to reach equilibrium or assign free people to jobs. People will very quickly leave lower-priority jobs but can take a very long time to move into them, even if unemployed. Don't be afraid of your industry "cycling" with unemployment, those are just bad companies that don't treat their workers well enough, new buildings will grow.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Finally learning how to use Precision Engineering properly. That, with Fine Road Heights and Sharp Junctions makes for some wonderful roadwork. A perfectly level bridge, with a natural taper onto the terrain and into a curve!

Reconstructed one of the bridges on the default Islands map.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
A few pictures from my city, having lots of fun on this one :eng101:
(album : http://imgur.com/a/wKtsr)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I got some screenshots of my city too at night.

Been quietly working on Citadel for a couple of months now:

View from far out of the main city, Citadel

One of the main roads leading in.

A large bypass surrounds Citadel to alleviate transport woes.

A view of the business district from the south side

The business district, a huge expanse of the island makes up the office side of Citadel

On the opposite end there's a rich commercial and residential district - the original area where Citadel started.

It's full of bright expensive looking buildings

The district stretches across the island. A highway bypass has been built to again alleviate traffic, but the bypass isn't complete yet.

A view from another end of town.

A bit further out the industrial district.

You can see from the bypass where i'm aiming to make the city boundary. After that's done I'll fill out the rest of the island with small towns and seaside places.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

nielsm posted:

Finally learning how to use Precision Engineering properly. That, with Fine Road Heights and Sharp Junctions makes for some wonderful roadwork. A perfectly level bridge, with a natural taper onto the terrain and into a curve!

Reconstructed one of the bridges on the default Islands map.

This is how the bridges should have always been. Really nice.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good, simple seawall asset to use for a port? I'm having trouble finding one on the workshop that doesn't have a bunch of props all over it.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good, simple seawall asset to use for a port? I'm having trouble finding one on the workshop that doesn't have a bunch of props all over it.

This set is pretty good for that: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=490125804

They have some props on, but they're quite fitting for ports.

Also, someone please make this as an asset:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's a good archipelago-y map if I want to build something Venice-y, or perhaps with even more ground to work with than Venice? I basically just want a bunch of little channels to work around.