Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Nobody told him it was take n bake Chinese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Je suis fatigue posted:

Some speed runner differentiates between a full button press (press and release) and a half press (just the release portion). Some other nerd gets really upset and calls it the same as a regular button press, so original nerd makes a 25 minute video explaining what it is (actually not a bad video, very interesting breaking downs on how to do some glitches in Mario 64)

This is important for people who do "speed" runs where the goal is to press the jump button as little as possible (in the example he uses the actual playtime is something like 12 hours so not exactly fast). This is what I've seen though, I don't know the whole backstory tbh.

THANK YOU! That's been bugging me for days. Also, holy poo poo that video is Maximum OverAutism.vid. And TJ "Henry" Yoshi is right- those are loving A presses. Dude's just splitting hairs to try to appease some kind of bizarre speedrunning ur-deity.

Also, here's a spicy sample of maymay to make up for this A press talk.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I don't like this new meme where people pretend to be dumb as gently caress instead of just accepting the explanation of an esoteric aspect of a subculture.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Get outta here "Henry."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

THANK YOU! That's been bugging me for days. Also, holy poo poo that video is Maximum OverAutism.vid. And TJ "Henry" Yoshi is right- those are loving A presses. Dude's just splitting hairs to try to appease some kind of bizarre speedrunning ur-deity.

It's a "No-jump" solution to a level that unfortunately still requires him to press the A button in order to abuse glitches that require the A button held down. So it's a half-press not because he needed to jump at some point, but just because he needs the A button down to exploit a kick glitch that makes an otherwise impossible elevator ride possible. That's a pretty decent hair to split IMO.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

It's an A press in a single segment run, but not an a-press in a full run. Average them out, that's half a press.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Buttons don't work that waaaaaaaaay

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Imagine 4 half a-presses on the edge of a cliff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Imagine 4 half a-presses on the edge of a cliff.

Mods please rename to Johnny Half Presses

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cicadas! posted:

Buttons don't work that waaaaaaaaay

Actually they do

A press and a release aren't the same thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/TYR2azI.webm

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lotsa Henrys in this thread

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Also, holy poo poo that video is Maximum OverAutism.vid. And TJ "Henry" Yoshi is right- those are loving A presses. Dude's just splitting hairs to try to appease some kind of bizarre speedrunning ur-deity.

I'm glad we can simultaneously call this guy autistic and debate the finer points of A button pressing in the same breath.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"I play video games for fun" is the new "I read playboy for the articles".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is amazing :swoon:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That half a press vid and all the memes coming from it is amazing and im glad to have been exposed to both the video and the memes.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

KoRMaK posted:

That half a press vid and all the memes coming from it is amazing and im glad to have been exposed to both the video and the memes.

:agreed: I haven't felt like this since I first got into memeing back in '02 (though that's not what we called it back then). People talk about 'chasing the dragon' and never catching it, but goddamn if this isn't the dankest, freshest, hottest poo poo I've seen since then.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Hank you Mr. Scuttle buc

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"I play video games for fun" is the new "I read playboy for the articles".

Well, considering Playboy is going non-nude, its probably not that equivalent.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
How do they figure this poo poo out? Did they decompile the game? How would they know the game checks at four points? How do they know the rate of "building speed", such that they can say that 11.97h is exactly right to hit that triangle one qpu over? How do they get the angle right? gently caress, someone should round these people up and have them land the next mars probe?

e: it's a technique called "chucklefuck herding".

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Jan 24, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Karate Bastard posted:

How do they figure this poo poo out? Did they decompile the game? How would they know the game checks at four points? How do they know the rate of "building speed", such that they can say that 11.97h is exactly right to hit that triangle one qpu over? How do they get the angle right? gently caress, someone should round these people up and have them land the next mars probe?

They'd land the probe on the Mars 4 universes over and that Earth would think it was aliens and blow up the universe. Good one, idiot, you've killed Us4 All

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is the point I got to before my brain decided that shoveling snow at 3AM is a good idea

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

They'd land the probe on the Mars 4 universes over and that Earth would think it was aliens and blow up the universe. Good one, idiot, you've killed Us4 All

After having a debate over what constitutes pressing a button, we kinda deserve it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This poo poo is pure strain viral autism. It's highly contagious.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRyrCjOkdI

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This poo poo is pure strain viral autism. It's highly contagious.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Read Snigfut posted:

I'm glad we can simultaneously call this guy autistic and debate the finer points of A button pressing in the same breath.

These loss edits are getting verbose nowadays.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

e: stay aligned, QP Universes

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Butt Ox posted:

courtesy of cash crab, from the afp thread

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

kalstrams posted:

These loss edits are getting verbose nowadays.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Rolo posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Seriously, I challenge anyone to make it more than a couple minutes into this.

I got 6:50 in and I could not for the life of me understand what the intended outcome, purpose or value of any of what he was saying saying, although his depth knowledge of the mechanics of Mario 64 is pretty astounding.

The real insidious aspect of autism is that people like this latch on to video games instead of taking a healthy interest in, say, medicine.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Heath posted:

I got 6:50 in and I could not for the life of me understand what the intended outcome, purpose or value of any of what he was saying saying, although his depth knowledge of the mechanics of Mario 64 is pretty astounding.

The real insidious aspect of autism is that people like this latch on to video games instead of taking a healthy interest in, say, medicine.
Can any of us spending our free time in the meme thread say we're using our lives more productively?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Your own people will kill
you to prevent this
'Forbidden QPU movement'
from ever being known.
Socrates was killed to
hide Truth from public.
1-corner god is a fraud.
Are you afraid to know? All Educated are Stupid from
brainwashing and indoctrination.
Pedant teachers cannot comprehend
that there are 4 simultaneous quadruple parallel universes
within a single step of mario
about the grid. Each step has its
own separate corner universe.

You are probably brainwashed, indoctrinated, educated stupid and cannot comprehend
Nature's Harmonic Simultaneous quadruple
Perpetual parallel universe Creation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Heath posted:

The difference is that there's absolutely no danger to them if they fail, in face there's no actual "failure state" of button-press Mario arguments. I mean, there are losers, certainly. Deciding to spend your laser-focus abilities on studying medicine comes with "no actually you need to get up at a regular time and go places and interact with actual human persons", all of which are deal breakers.

Um, I mean, thank u mr. scuttltal.

some old car parts
Aug 2, 2011

Makes me a very poor man
I don't know why but this dudes name being dutch for pancake2012 makes it even better, adds to his appeal.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Henry translates to that in Dutch?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Read Snigfut posted:

I'm glad we can simultaneously call this guy autistic and debate the finer points of A button pressing in the same beath.

Oh my god, dude. It was right there. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

quote:

What are you going to do when you have finished the game with 0 a presses?

quote:

gloat to Miyamoto

You call him jumpman? Watch this...

• Locked thread