Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

By golly, you're right, the scene would not work if we ignore the things that make the scene work.

I am very pointedly not ignoring it. I am saying it's a bad element to base a scene around. If I was ignoring it, I wouldn't have mentioned it in my post, and thus we would not currently be talking about it.

quote:

I don't understand what you're talking about. In terms of narrative, Han's there because only he could get Finn to the base. In terms of characterization, Han is there because he's trying to save his own son. In terms of theme, his death signifies passing the mantle onto the new generation, which wouldn't work if he was a new character created for the new film. Han Solo the character has every reason to be there no matter how shallowly we read the situation.

I'm obviously not talking about the plot. Who cares about the plot?

In terms of characterization, it is true that Han is there because he's trying to save his son. But we don't know anything about the situation beyond that. There's nothing connecting the Han Solo character we knew from the OT to the character who appears in TFA, because all the pertinent character development relevant to the current story happened entirely off-screen. This isn't the sort of stuff you can just gloss over and still expect it to have the same impact. There is no characterization. "Loves his son" isn't characterization. I mean, it is, but it's not particularly strong characterization. Of course Han Solo loves his son. That's not a particularly compelling new insight into his character.

In terms of theme, his death doesn't accomplish what you think it accomplishes, because, again, we don't actually know why Han died. We don't know what he died for. As with many things in the film, it's unclear. What mantle is he passing on to the next generation? What does Han Solo stand for in TFA? What does Rey believe Han Solo stands for? What does Han Solo mean to Rey, and how is his death connected to the new path she chooses to embark upon by the end of the film? I don't think the film gives us a strong sense--or really, any sense--of these things.

quote:

The entire scope of Han Solo's arcs over all his films has to do with the way he handles responsibility. The motif of an absentee father having to accept the consequences of his own negligence, facing karmic justice for the way he's lived his life, is a completely sensible capstone for Han's character. It's not something that would have worked with, say, Leia, for instance, because the whole point of her is that she's hyper-responsible.

We don't actually know if Han was really negligent. We have no idea what actually happened. That's the problem. We have no idea whether he's really facing karmic justice, or if he's dying heroically trying to save a son whose descent into evil he bears no ultimate responsibility for. It's a bad capstone for Han's character because the movie makes no effort to flesh out either Han's or Kylo's characters in anything more than a superficial, perfunctory way. What we're left with is Han Solo being murdered by his son in the first and last scene they ever share together, for reasons that remain totally unclear. That's not a hard scene to write. I could write that scene.

Steve2911 posted:

Nah his arc in ROTJ is about being a bit player in a story he no longer cares about, wishing his friends had let him stay dead.

Kind of like Buffy season 6 except he's far less important.

He has a more secondary role in ROTJ, but the arc he does have is exactly what I've described. And it's actually a pretty important thing, because otherwise not a single one of the films would contain an example of a stable, healthy romantic relationship.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

I am very pointedly not ignoring it. I am saying it's a bad element to base a scene around. If I was ignoring it, I wouldn't have mentioned it in my post, and thus we would not currently be talking about it.

In terms of characterization, it is true that Han is there because he's trying to save his son. But we don't know anything about the situation beyond that. There's nothing connecting the Han Solo character we knew from the OT to the character who appears in TFA, because all the pertinent character development relevant to the current story happened entirely off-screen. This isn't the sort of stuff you can just gloss over and still expect it to have the same impact. There is no characterization. "Loves his son" isn't characterization. I mean, it is, but it's not particularly strong characterization. Of course Han Solo loves his son. That's not a particularly compelling new insight into his character.

In terms of theme, his death doesn't accomplish what you think it accomplishes, because, again, we don't actually know why Han died. We don't know what he died for. As with many things in the film, it's unclear. What mantle is he passing on to the next generation? What does Han Solo stand for in TFA? What does Rey believe Han Solo stands for? What does Han Solo mean to Rey, and how is his death connected to the new path she chooses to embark upon by the end of the film? I don't think the film gives us a strong sense--or really, any sense--of these things.

We don't actually know if Han was really negligent. We have no idea what actually happened. That's the problem. We have no idea whether he's really facing karmic justice, or if he's dying heroically trying to save a son whose descent into evil he bears no ultimate responsibility for. It's a bad capstone for Han's character because the movie makes no effort to flesh out either Han's or Kylo's characters in anything more than a superficial, perfunctory way. What we're left with is Han Solo being murdered by his son in the first and last scene they ever share together, for reasons that remain totally unclear. That's not a hard scene to write. I could write that scene.

He has a more secondary role in ROTJ, but the arc he does have is exactly what I've described. And it's actually a pretty important thing, because otherwise not a single one of the films would contain an example of a stable, healthy romantic relationship.

That all got cut out to make room for Oscar Isaacs and three more action scenes. You can see a tiny bit of an earlier draft left when Kylo tells Rey that she's going to be disappointed in Han in choosing him as a father figure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas had in mind that Vader was Lukes dad before 4 was made. Source: George Lucas.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

euphronius posted:

Lucas had in mind that Vader was Lukes dad before 4 was made. Source: George Lucas.

George Lucas says a lot of poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Steve2911 posted:

That's the way it's always been.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

the Leia reveal is basically the worst plot twist in the entire series. (The best? Midichlorians, obviously.)

obviously

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Compelling case.

Well that is settled.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It makes sense.

From the audience's perspective, aside from longer-form stories having a certain innate appeal insofar as you can fit more stuff in them, and it is enhanced by the supplementary social activity of following along with others as it develops (like we're doing right here and now). The risk of a negative outcome comes from trying to force something to spread out that just doesn't benefit from being larger, and from deferring so much that the only payoff is what the fans imagine for themselves.

From the producer's perspective, it means that iteration and incorporation of feedback can result in a better product (ideally this means communicating the idea more strongly rather than changing the idea, but there's always that tension in commercial art), it's easier to forecast sales, and more tickets will have to be sold in order to get the whole thing. The downside is that it's much more logistically demanding and certain dimensions of creative freedom are limited in order to maintain consistency.

I think Star Wars is pretty well-suited for this format because it was already a series.

I think it gains something and loses something. It allows the series to cash in (positively and pejoratively) on what people enjoy. But George Lucas' Star Warses are film school nerdsplorations of undergraduate-level social science and humanities dressed up as old tymey Flash Gordon serials, rather than actually being serials. Flash Gordon was never going to be able to just shoot Ming the Merciless in his stupid face and be done; "I know Darth Vader's really got you annoyed/But remember, if you kill him, you'll be unemployed." When all that's left is the serial dressing, it's harder (but not impossible) to really show the consequences of these clashing ideas and ideologies. I think that's one of the big reasons they're going to run standalone movies: assuming they get past Rogue One and Han Solo, these "one shot" represent market testing for new IP.

These extra movies distract from Zeno's Star Wars Paradox: in a true serial, good is only ever going to get halfway to beating evil in a given movie, while evil continues to advance. These extra movies, if successful, also provide an escape pod, if the main continuity's popularity dips.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They also spent 4 billion and need to make some of it back and prove a good positive cash flow.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Even "there is another" is better left ambiguous, since the Leia reveal is basically the worst plot twist in the entire series.

If it's possible, could you expand on this? I get that it's somewhat clumsy, but it doesn't offend me all that much in a movie where Han inexplicably forgets that Lando stabbed him in the back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lando had no choice. The empire arrived right before they did.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't think that would actually make the scene stronger. I've heard Darth Vader described as a son's nightmare—a giant evil father figure who demands impossible things from you and tries to cut you off from your friends, and Kylo Ren is the opposite, a parent's nightmare: the fear that your child is going to go wrong someday and you'll never understand why or whether you could have done something differently.

It seems pretty intentional here that neither Han nor Leia have much of an idea of what's going on in Ben's head.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

IXIX posted:

If it's possible, could you expand on this? I get that it's somewhat clumsy, but it doesn't offend me all that much in a movie where Han inexplicably forgets that Lando stabbed him in the back.

You said it yourself. The Luke Leia reveal is awkwardly rammed into RotJ and doesn't add anything to the overall story. It sucks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's a lazy way to solve a love triangle born out of laziness and a refusal to listen to Harrison Ford's good advice.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Because it's not a good thing if the only reason a scene works is because of the shock of an iconic franchise character dying. Han Solo's character arc over the past three-and-two-thirds movies does nothing to inform the circumstances of his death or to increase its dramatic heft. From a thematic standpoint, there's almost nothing necessitating that the character Harrison Ford plays in this movie specifically be Han Solo. The drama of his death hinges entirely on events which are unknown to us, having happened off-screen and never being explained. The character in this movie is connected to the character in the previous three movies only by virtue of being labeled "Han Solo" in the script. There's no effort put into making his death have any larger meaning. The full sum of the thematic impact his death has on the larger story can be reduced to a single line in a script that says "Han Solo dies."

e: And I'd like to make clear that I think the scene itself is well-directed and well-acted. Taken as its own thing, there was genuine emotion to be found in the scene. But the Han Solo character himself was wasted in it. He had no reason to be there. They could have quite easily given him a reason to be there, but they didn't want to do that, because it wasn't the kind of thing that could be cleanly slotted into the A New Hope template.

This isn't just a complaint about the movie being a rehash. If it was just a rehash, it probably would have been better. The complaint is that Disney tried to make a movie with the plot structure of A New Hope and the combined emotional content of all three prequels, without putting in the extra work or being willing to take the kinds of risks that would be required to accomplish such a Herculean feat of screenwriting in just under 18 months, and starting from scratch.

I have to disagree a bit, here. I think Han's death has thematic resonance with his arc throughout the other movies because it's the ultimate distillation of what's changed for him. He's a guy whose natural impulses are/were selfishness and cowardice facing death for the sake of his child. It's not particularly revelatory or unique, but it does make sense as the capstone to his arc.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a lazy way to solve a love triangle born out of laziness and a refusal to listen to Harrison Ford's good advice.

What was his advice?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here is a cool story about the chess pieces being used in Force Awakens:

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/force-awakens-holochess-process/

quote:

Their goal was to pick up precisely where the Dejarik game left off in A New Hope: R2-D2’s game piece lifting and slamming Chewbacca’s, a creature the animators referred to as “Hunk.” After analyzing the 1977 sequence, the team determined how to place the creatures in the exact same positions they were at the end of the original scene. In The Force Awakens, the game continues; once Finn turns on the table, as Dubeau says, “Hunk gets back up and exacts his revenge on the guy who threw him down.”

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

What was his advice?

That he should die not long after being rescued from carbon freezing, which would've been absurd.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

What was his advice?

That he should have died in Empire instead of being frozen.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cnut the Great posted:

we don't actually know why Han died. We don't know what he died for.

He died in service to Kylo Ren's quest to purge himself of light side temptations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

That he should have died in Empire instead of being frozen.

In light of this it's easier to believe why Ford is so happy with Han's role in TFA and why he seemed to enjoy himself; Han is already dead, and lingers onwards as a spectre, tethered to the world by unfinished business. Only after finally accomplishing his transformation into a selfless martyr is he finally able to truly leave Star Wars, and close the arc with dignity.

It also adds even more weight to his talk with Leia; that their "usual pointless routine, fleeing their destinies" started even further back than the end of ROTJ, to the beginning of the film.

TFA is a Good Film.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red posted:

Obi-Wan: You search for the assassin. I think I'll wet my whistle.

---

C-3PO: A machine that creates other machines? How fantastically queer!

---

Chancellor Palpatine: You could say that the Dark Side of the Force is powerful in its temptations, my young and impressionable friend. Why, you might even say I'm a Sith Enthusiast!
Anakin Skywalker: Hmmm!

---

Chancellor Palpatine: He is too dangerous a villain! He must be eliminated!
Count Dooku: Excuse me? You can't be serious! I thought - oh no!
Anakin Skywalker: Terribly sorry. /rears back with lightsabers, screen fades to black

---

R2-D2: Beep beep!
Ric Olie: He repaired the shields! We can escape the blockade! We're saved!
Everyone: Hooray!
R2-D2: Beep beep!

---

The diner scene with Dexter would be the same, if that helps.

quote:

The whole movie is like that.

I meant black and white silent movie with top hats and handlebar mustaches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RBA Starblade posted:

I meant black and white silent movie with top hats and handlebar mustaches.

So did I:

---

Nute Gunray: Darth Sidious! We'll obey whatever you command, sinister villain!
Darth Sidious: Nyah-ah-ah! Kill the Jedi!

---

Qui-Gon Jinn: You're an odd-looking fellow! What is your name?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yahoo! I'm Jar-Jar Binks!
Qui-Gon Jinn: Can you lead us to safety, Mister Binks?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yahoo! Follow me!

---

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Why do I suspect we've adopted another pathetic lifeform?
Qui-Gon Jinn: Tut tut, chum. Doing good deeds is the hallmark of being a Jedi.

---

Boss Nass: Jar-Jar Binks was expelled from my kingdom. His crime? Being a nincompoop!
Qui-Gon Jinn: I saved his life. His life debt to me means he must become my manservant.
Boss Nass: Ho ho! Enjoy your clumsy butler! I'll even give you a free boat for taking this ninny off my hands.

---

Darth Sidious: Now, you must invade Naboo. Once conquered, force the Queen to sign the treaty, legalizing the occupation.
Nute Gunray: Force the Queen to sign a treaty? Is that even ... legal?
Darth Sidious: I will make it legal, you clod. Now - good day!
Nute Gunray: But I-
Darth Sidious: I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR! /hologram fades
Rune Haako: You did not tell him about the Jedi escaping!
Nute Gunray: This caper is becoming a fiasco!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red posted:

So did I:

---

Nute Gunray: Darth Sidious! We'll obey whatever you command, sinister villain!
Darth Sidious: Nyah-ah-ah! Kill the Jedi!

---

Qui-Gon Jinn: You're an odd-looking fellow! What is your name?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yahoo! I'm Jar-Jar Binks!
Qui-Gon Jinn: Can you lead us to safety, Mister Binks?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yahoo! Follow me!

---

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Why do I suspect we've adopted another pathetic lifeform?
Qui-Gon Jinn: Tut tut, chum. Doing good deeds is the hallmark of being a Jedi.

---

Boss Nass: Jar-Jar Binks was expelled from my kingdom. His crime? Being a nincompoop!
Qui-Gon Jinn: I saved his life. His life debt to me means he must become my manservant.
Boss Nass: Ho ho! Enjoy your clumsy butler! I'll even give you a free boat for taking this ninny off my hands.

---

Darth Sidious: Now, you must invade Naboo. Once conquered, force the Queen to sign the treaty, legalizing the occupation.
Nute Gunray: Force the Queen to sign a treaty? Is that even ... legal?
Darth Sidious: I will make it legal, you clod. Now - good day!
Nute Gunray: But I-
Darth Sidious: I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR! /hologram fades
Rune Haako: You did not tell him about the Jedi escaping!
Nute Gunray: This caper is becoming a fiasco!

Haha, I wasn't paying enough attention to your post!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Cnut the Great posted:

I feel like this sums up your posts in this thread pretty succinctly

vvv :lol:

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 24, 2016

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Plot and story are two different things, story is vastly more important (and interesting), Cnut is correct to feel this way (and is a great poster). Hopefully this is what you're getting at.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Leave Cnut alone. I think most of us here would vote him the Supreme Chancellor of our hearts.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Darth Vader didn't have a story at the start beyond being seduced by the dark side and corrupted. Rylo Ken seems like an insecure overcompensating immature little poo poo who enjoys evil because he wants people to respect him and to be good at something yet knows deep down that nobody respects him and that he's not that great at anything. He comes off like a neo-nazi or a school shooter. The character work in both the script and the acting was probably my favorite part of the movie, as it can say a lot by showing a little.

I'm late on this but Kylo Ren literally is a school shooter

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Plot and story are two different things, story is vastly more important (and interesting), Cnut is correct to feel this way (and is a great poster). Hopefully this is what you're getting at.

Anyone who has had to endure the shapeless meanderings of an undergraduate creative writing class can attest to the importance of plot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

No he's not. He used a sword.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheKingofSprings posted:

No he's not. Besides being a stabber, the explanation for his actions doesn't fit with any actual school shooting.

You might have missed that he gathered a team of like six other dudes, and is motivated by a deep religious conviction. Essentially, he had a sort of religious epiphany that he's now struggling to understand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

No he's not. He used a sword.

No he's not. He's a stabber first of all, and the explanation for his actions doesn't fit with any actual school shooting.

You might have missed that he gathered a team of like six other dudes, and is motivated by a deep religious conviction. Essentially, he had a sort of religious epiphany that he's now struggling to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWjn2oSVBm8

neither of you are thinking with the force and that's just shameful

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

He reminds me of the kid from We Need to Talk About Kevin.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Plot and story are also, incidentally, synonyms.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah so are hypothesis and theory but not in the realm of science. Plot and story are distinct in the context of things like movies.

Fuligin posted:

Anyone who has had to endure the shapeless meanderings of an undergraduate creative writing class can attest to the importance of plot.

Yeah yeah plot is important like how a map with directions is important for a road trip. But it's not very interesting by itself. When you're dealing with people who can't put together a coherent plot then yeah it's important; but these movies have plots.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

RBA Starblade posted:

Not in this context.

I wish Cnut would go through the Prequels scene by scene, like that thread about the Transformers trilogy.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Not quite.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was being a butt with him saying they're two different things and their literal definitions being synonyms, you guys. You don't actually need to defend it; I know.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was being a butt with him saying they're two different things and their literal definitions being synonyms, you guys. You don't actually need to defend it; I know.

In this thread you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Krangdar posted:

In this thread you never know.

I should have added a :v: or something. :shobon:

• Locked thread