Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
putting touchscreen panels on car dashboards is a fundamentally terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

and what of ford sync?

utter garbage

the best car screen UIs are by Audi and BMW, and they are just bad. everyone else is in the "if this was an app on your phone you would have deleted it a long time ago" category.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

and what of ford sync?

better than most. the built in voice recognition worked really well when I tried it. the ui makes sense, but its still all resistive screens and 10 year old arm cpus

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

better than most.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres also like 10 different versions of the ford sync thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember how sync was so hosed there were class action suits filed against them?

remember when they ditched whatever god awful ce based abomination they had and switched to qnx?

good times.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the touch screen and ui in the fusion I testdrove was a million times better than the one in my accord so Honda should probably watch out.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cars shouldn't have touch screens

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

here is the worst example

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

those virtual heat seater/climate controls :stonk:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I had a rental ford focus and it didn't have a touch screen, but it had some version of the sync thing I guess that was really bad. It had a numpad for entry for some things. a physical numpad.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
has anyone used duet for ipad? what do you use it for?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shaggar posted:

I had a rental ford focus and it didn't have a touch screen, but it had some version of the sync thing I guess that was really bad. It had a numpad for entry for some things. a physical numpad.

yeah this is what my mustang had. it was hot garbage and i couldn't even get the drat system into a 'stable' state and just leave it. it was constantly loving up even if i didn't touch it

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

The Management posted:

is that the tesla? lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

The Management posted:

wow, i've never actually seen what the tesla dash looks like in use because i'm fundamentally opposed to touchscreens in cars, but holy hell is that hideous both in terms of ui and integration into the dashboard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that seriously looks like a winamp skin from 1999. i hope they didn't pay anyone to design that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

jesus christ

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

wow, i've never actually seen what the tesla dash looks like in use because i'm fundamentally opposed to touchscreens in cars, but holy hell is that hideous both in terms of ui and integration into the dashboard.

it looks terrible and is entirely unusable without taking your eyes off the road. you can't even adjust the ac or close the sunroof without staring at it for extended periods of time.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
actually teslas own so disrgard that pussy bitch yosposter

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
who cares you can stare at it all you want since teslas can drive themselves now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
even ignoring the usability issues, they have 100% control of the entire stack and they can't manage to design something that matches the look and feel of the vehicle itself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Necc0 posted:

yeah this is what my mustang had. it was hot garbage and i couldn't even get the drat system into a 'stable' state and just leave it. it was constantly loving up even if i didn't touch it

the Taurus I test drove had the best touch screen based system of the fords. it was reasonably responsive and well laid out. it was definitely faster than what was in the fusion which was like a slightly older, slower version.

I'm really glad my accord doesn't have the climate controls on the touch screen cause it has an awful touch screen and ui. its great when you press a button on the screen and it does the touch animation and beep but then it doesn't actually do the associated action. its bad.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the Taurus I test drove had the best touch screen based system of the fords. it was reasonably responsive and well laid out. it was definitely faster than what was in the fusion which was like a slightly older, slower version.

I'm really glad my accord doesn't have the climate controls on the touch screen cause it has an awful touch screen and ui. its great when you press a button on the screen and it does the touch animation and beep but then it doesn't actually do the associated action. its bad.

accords are actually cool + good just like your iphone 6s

Godspeed You! Black Conservative
Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite part of tesla ui is that three bar looking widget in the climate control area that looks like something you can grab and resize but it's just part of the "chrome"

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
My 2013 Ford Focus ST has Ford Sync, and it isn't too bad. I can order it around using my voice, and they recently updated it to add "Siri Eyes Free" that lets me invoke Siri by pulling a paddle on the steering wheel. Once Siri is up you can do all kinds of fun stuff.

The Navigation isn't that great though. In this day and age, I wonder why cars still include Nav?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

poty posted:

has anyone used duet for ipad? what do you use it for?

i use it when i'm travelling and want a second monitor. it works ok but its a bit fiddly about getting the resolution right. pretty quick, not as quick as an actual second monitor

but still decent enough if i want a terminal on one screen and something else on the other

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
the coffee maker at work has a touch screen and it's loving awful

i don't understand how it's possible to make an ui as unresponsive as it is when all it does is displays static images. there are no transitions, the buttons do not change state when you touch them

still, you have to wait a full second after making your selection before you can press the go button ("black coffee", wait about 1 second for the display to update, "start")

maybe it's a repurposed amiga and the ui is jpegs. maybe it mines bitcoins. maybe both.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
touch screen on soft drink dispenser is even worse, especially when 'water' is buried under a few layers of menus and not in the one where you expected it to be

at least it doesn't really kill you though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wheany posted:

the coffee maker at work has a touch screen and it's loving awful

i don't understand how it's possible to make an ui as unresponsive as it is when all it does is displays static images. there are no transitions, the buttons do not change state when you touch them

still, you have to wait a full second after making your selection before you can press the go button ("black coffee", wait about 1 second for the display to update, "start")

maybe it's a repurposed amiga and the ui is jpegs. maybe it mines bitcoins. maybe both.

the guy making it was given a super-underpowered processor with no video acceleration, no ram, and told to find some open source components and throw them together to make a ui in three months. even if he had the right hardware to make it perform adequately he would not have had the time to do it because there is no way his bosses are going to spend that kind of money on making a coffee maker ui better

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

touch screen on soft drink dispenser is even worse, especially when 'water' is buried under a few layers of menus and not in the one where you expected it to be

at least it doesn't really kill you though

those piece of poo poo machines use windows embedded, ive seen one crashed in a restaurant once

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Management posted:

No lie, I got 7 minutes into the test drive and was like nope.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I was despairing at just how much pocket grime has gotten inside my iPhone 5S via the microphone hole on the back and somehow worked its way into the camera lens. Then I remembered I have a cheapo USB microscope so I decided to document it

thim

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
stop masturbating on your phone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dodoman posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dodoman posted:

if that's what it looks like after you jack it I suggest you see a doctor immediately

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Linguica posted:

I was despairing at just how much pocket grime has gotten inside my iPhone 5S via the microphone hole on the back and somehow worked its way into the camera lens. Then I remembered I have a cheapo USB microscope so I decided to document it

thim

take it to the store they will clean it for u

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DaNzA posted:

mishaq posted:

those piece of poo poo machines use windows embedded, ive seen one crashed in a restaurant once

remember when getting a soda was as simple as jamming a cup against a lever and took 5 seconds? the only failure modes were out of syrup or out of soda water.

this right here is what's wrong with the loving future

it's not more convenient, it's not more efficient, but hey it drives "engagement" so here we go! because buying a loving coke wasn't quite commoditized enough

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty sure "get soda out of machine" was like #5-10 on their list of priorities behind stuff like improve customer engagement across coca cola family of brands, show increased product offerings, introduce drmed syrup containers, increased support contract revenue and a host of other goals

that said you can make diet vanilla coke, the only good diet beverage ever, using those machines so they're not all bad

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

remember when getting a soda was as simple as jamming a cup against a lever and took 5 seconds? the only failure modes were out of syrup or out of soda water.

this right here is what's wrong with the loving future

it's not more convenient, it's not more efficient, but hey it drives "engagement" so here we go! because buying a loving coke wasn't quite commoditized enough

how else can i get diet cherry vanilla coke with lime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

how else can i get diet cherry vanilla coke with lime?

lol

• Locked thread