Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
:f5: "Getting your access time. Please be patient. This may take a moment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
HERE WE GOOOO

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

server is on fire! :aaa:

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
2 and a half hour wait to pick housing :rip:

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
49 minutes until I'm in. Could have a been a whole lot worse.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
3 hours 30 minutes, I'm pretty hosed

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
2hr25 min. Welp *hugs Westin reservation*

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

35 minutes.

Is..is that good?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

35 minutes.

Is..is that good?
Not the best, but pretty good.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
Last year I just used Uber from the shuttle to the con and uber back to the hotel. It wasn't all that bad and Uber/Lyft isn't that expensive compared to the downtown rates. The best bet if you got hosed on time is to get something on the outskirts of downtown and just pay to Uber in, which will likely save you some money.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
26 minutes and 46, I split up our group badges to try and get more entries.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think last year my time was like 2 hours and I still got JW. 3 and an half hours is ridiculous though.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
27 minutes! =D

hahaha my roommate got 3 minutes

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Texibus posted:

26 minutes and 46, I split up our group badges to try and get more entries.

Excuse me but in this thread we like to play by the RULES

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
Please let there be a single king room somewhere downtown in the next 34 minutes. Please. I'll even take a single queen. please gods of gencon

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Everyone worrying about poo poo being available with sub 1 hour queue time are going to be just fine, I promise.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

the best my group of 6 got was 1 hour and 20 mins. Guess we're sleeping in our cars!

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
Despite my lovely queue time this right here https://www.gencon.com/forums/17-travel-housing-and-dining-2016 is a nice schadenfreude pick-me-up :allears:

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

saint gerald posted:

27 minutes! =D

hahaha my roommate got 3 minutes

JW for us, for the first time ever. Gonna be nice being right in the thick of things.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

4 badgeholders all vying for a room is handy. We scored the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. "Skywalk" supremacy.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Carteret posted:

4 badgeholders all vying for a room is handy. We scored the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown. "Skywalk" supremacy.

Still tons of skywalk rooms available.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

Yeah, I think that was the way to go, instead of bulk-buying badges. OBVIOUSLY THEY SHOULD HAVE RESPECTED MY MASS BADGE PURCHASE TO PUSH ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE, I AM A VERY IMPORTANT GENCON PERSON

surprised to see Rob Daviau posting about the hotel scrum, tho, you'd think he could get a room.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, I think that was the way to go, instead of bulk-buying badges. OBVIOUSLY THEY SHOULD HAVE RESPECTED MY MASS BADGE PURCHASE TO PUSH ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE, I AM A VERY IMPORTANT GENCON PERSON

surprised to see Rob Daviau posting about the hotel scrum, tho, you'd think he could get a room.

Crowne Plaza :smug:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Got the downtown Marriott with two double beds, hell yeah.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
got 12 minute access, still didn't get the thing we wanted because i'm a hotel website scrub

close enough though

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Had I used the list and not the map we could have got hosed. That list they have is really inaccurate and some of the hotels requires a four night reservation I guess.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Watching this makes me sad

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Syntaxed posted:

The best part if you don't get a good hotel is watching the gencon forums and everyone proclaim "I"M NOT GOING THIS YEAR NOW! THX GENCON!!11" or writing super long rants about how their situation should allow for the first picks of hotels.

:jerky:

The "I should get first pick for hotel rooms" and the "Why should the VIGs get (benefit)" are always fun.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Friend of mine who's going for the first time got in the first queue and we got a Skywalk, holy gently caress. The dream!

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Got the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel. Its not skywalk connected, but its only 4 blocks so it should be fine.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Best available right now is an airport hotel. Alas, still, only 7 miles away, so cabs are an option.

edit: hey at least its a studio suite though! that's nice.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 24, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Uber will be making infinite money again this year. Last time we rented a car but I think it'll be cheaper to cab from the airport hotels this time...

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Andarel posted:

Uber will be making infinite money again this year. Last time we rented a car but I think it'll be cheaper to cab from the airport hotels this time...

Last year it was around $20-25 for an Uber from the CC to my airport hotel

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
We were by the old airport and it wasn't too bad with uber. What made it better was one of our group invited the rest of us to uber, netting us all $20 credits. We took turns paying and I don't think we actually paid for a single ride all weekend because of the credit.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
At what wait time does it seem the downtown hotels ran out? Seems roughly 90 minutes was the mark they ran out last year.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I had a 1 hour 5 minute wait and downtown was gone by then.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
46 minutes and I was still able to book one, 4 blocks away.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Thinking about renting my house out for Gencon. It is 8 minutes from the convention center. What would even be a fair price?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Via airbnb? Their prices are what I would check. I've got a few people that might be interested, depending on space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Depends on their policies for non-regular rentals.

• Locked thread