Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

coyo7e posted:

Goddamn Miller, that is the most pathetic sock I've seen anywhere outside a production of A Christmas Carol.

But Avasarala's costume when she was walking through the snow was inspired.

That outfit was loving fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just binge watched the whole thing for snowpocalypse, very very impressed. Pretty much nothing to complain about except Holden acting like he'd rather shoot Amos than the Martian boarders, and Miller waltzing into the OPA den just to make some point when he should probably still be fearing for his life. What goofs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeris posted:

Just binge watched the whole thing for snowpocalypse, very very impressed. Pretty much nothing to complain about except Holden acting like he'd rather shoot Amos than the Martian boarders, and Miller waltzing into the OPA den just to make some point when he should probably still be fearing for his life. What goofs.

Both character seem to have a death wish mindset.

That was some god tier trolling by Dawes, getting Holden fired from his only job and then offering him a drink.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

etalian posted:

Most of the trouble with BSG was due to the writers strike happening in later seasons and also how was surprised the show as able to get more seasons.

I wouldn't say most, I vividly remember RDM bragging that he and a buddy would literally go get shitfaced at his cabin on weekends and whatever dumb poo poo they came up with, they told the writers "do this".

Zeris posted:

Miller waltzing into the OPA den just to make some point when he should probably still be fearing for his life. What goofs.

This is a classic "dumb gumshoe" move, I thought it was great :shrug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I could listen to Shoreh Aghdashloo talk in any language. What a voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_S7_qG4qE

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

bull3964 posted:

Did you watch Jessica Jones?

Was going to say the same. That show was "sex, power, and rape culture" the show and it was so intense in its portrayal that it was actually tough to watch... which I did in one sitting. Bad idea, had trouble getting sleep that night.

Gonz posted:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I could listen to Shoreh Aghdashloo talk in any language. What a voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_S7_qG4qE

Agreed :allears:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I was really skeptical on this show; mostly because it's SyFy*, and I saw a promo for it a few months ago that made it look pretty bad. Was looking for something to keep me entertained a couple nights ago so had a look at thread titles in TVIV and whoops, it's 1am and I've watched 4 episodes. Not that it relies on cheap hooks or cliffhanger endings to stay interesting, you really get interested in the way the plot is unfolding, and what the characters arc is like. After putting it off for a year since moving here, finally going to go get a library card tomorrow so I can request Leviathan Wakes. I will second it was a bit annoying trying to dodge all the book spoilers in this thread, don't know that I was wholly successful.

Are there any particular pros/cons to buying on iTunes vs Amazon? Have streamed them up to now (I'm overseas so no cable) but I'd really like to support the showrunners. Prices seem identical but I'm leaning towards iTunes since I assume the files are compatible with my old iPad without any conversion necessary.

*I was unfamiliar with ]The Expanse novels, but was pretty :ohdear: when I saw they were adapting The Magicians, which I did read and really enjoy. The first ep they've previewed didn't exactly knock my socks off, but it had some redeeming qualities and I'm cautiously optimistic, whereas I feel like The Exapanse has been pretty consistently hitting the right notes right out of the gate.

edit: I could see Miller's fedora causing some people to ragequit, it kinda starts to work, especially when it becomes a minor plot point.

bloodychill posted:

Was going to say the same. That show was "sex, power, and rape culture" the show and it was so intense in its portrayal that it was actually tough to watch... which I did in one sitting. Bad idea, had trouble getting sleep that night.

I got about 3 eps in to JJ and quit. It's not bad (the opposite, really), but I just didn't enjoy it.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 24, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tighclops posted:

If they were going for camo everybody's ships would be painted black like the stealth cruiser.

I think in the books all military ships are actually painted black and are only visible on screens/ by the stars they block

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Professor Shark posted:

I think in the books all military ships are actually painted black and are only visible on screens/ by the stars they block

Yep. The stealth ships are stealth because they have systems to sequester all their heat for a while, so they're invisible on infrared. And there are coatings to absorb radar/laser detection that are in the "just accept it" tech category like the Epstein drive.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

bloodychill posted:

Agreed :allears:

Jessica Jones depicts sexuality without nudity. It uses mind control as an allegory for power and rape culture. The lack of visceral imagery diminishes the effect. That won't cut it for Altered Carbon.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 24, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jessica Jones isn't good

Also at this point I'm not really enjoying this show all that much, the guy playing Amos aside.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Professor Shark posted:

Jessica Jones isn't good

Marvel and all.

Professor Shark posted:

Also at this point I'm not really enjoying this show all that much, the guy playing Amos aside.
I feel sorry for your mother

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 24, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Professor Shark posted:

It's some of the highest quality stuff made for television that I've ever seen - not so much the visual effects, I mean the camera work, the pacing and atmosphere, the sets, the performances :shrug: Is it just that you're not interested in the story or what?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So far the pacing is glacial: it makes Game of Thrones feel fast paced, and that show gets a lot of criticism for being slow.

The acting, well good enough for a typical Syfy series, isn't able to support the melodramatic tension present in every scene with the crew or Shohreh Aghdashloo. I understand that in the first novel there was a "build up" period where all the pieces were slowly getting set up before the action starts, but we're towards the end of the first season of the show at this point.

It's a well-financed Syfy show, which is fine, but it is what it is.

Keep in mind that just because I'm criticizing a show that you really like doesn't mean that I'm criticizing you, don't go all TV/IV on me like:

gohmak posted:

I feel sorry for your mother

... for having some problems with the show.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The show is pretty good, it's not actively annoying me with sci-fi mumbo jumbo but I'm really not feeling anything about the old people sub plot on Earth, it's oddly the worst acting in the show. The Earthers and Marsians seem like mostly well reasoned people with no active malice who just want to keep the cold war boat from rocking, which makes the whole situation with the asteroid colonies really weird because there shouldn't be an onus for their oppression.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are reasons, they just haven't gone into it in the show. I'll spoiler tag anyway but there's no plot info in here, just setting: Basically, Earth is a resource depleted husk with 30 billion people, more than half of which subsist on what they call Basic. They do nothing useful for society and are just kept alive by the government though a kind of welfare system. So Earth gets a lot of its resources from the Belt--the reason it was colonized in the first place. Mars is in the middle of trying to terraform the planet and for that purpose they mine the asteroids for the resources they use for the terraforming. The Belters started as miners for the inner planets and now they want to be free. Colonies wanting to break away from the home country essentially. The Belt isn't really self-sustaining though, so that adds a level of complexity to the whole thing. They hate Earth and want to be free but also rely on Earth more than they're willing to admit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Painting your ships black wouldn't do a thing to make them stealthy.

There's no such thing as stealth in space. The only thing that can help is sequestering your heat, like Grand Fromage says.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Jessica Jones isn't good

shocking turn of events from contrarian gimmick guy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm not a contrarian, I just don't go all head over heels for shows or movies. Even the best stuff has room for improvement and I don't get why saying things are "okay" instead of AMAZING BEST THING ON TV makes posters in TV/IV so angry.

So far this show has Wes Chatham, Thomas Jane, and set design going for it.

Edit: The Leftovers, for example, went from a bad show to a good show, and I acknowledged that. I also thought True Detective went from an amazing show to an okay show, disagreeing with most people that it was horrible :shrug:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 24, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I spent all of Jessica Jones thinking, "Just shoot him in the head," and, "Whoops, he just killed another person (because no one's shot him in the head yet)," so I give it a B. The Expanse, however, gets an A. I've been waiting for sci-fi like this for ages.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I thought about it a little bit more and I think that this is a really bad post: you're in a forum prone to echo-chamber-ing and you're upset at someone who mildly disagrees with the Thread Line and calling them a contrarian.

You're a mod, you should still have a better interest in the forums.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 24, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I thought about it a little bit more and I think that this is a really bad post: you're in a forum prone to echo-chamber-ing and you're upset at someone who mildly disagrees with the Thread Line and calling them a contrarian.

You're a mod, you should still have a better interest in the forums.

hes a mod of gip

so hes actually a real human being who doesn't have to give a poo poo about offending your precious feelings

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Grand Fromage posted:

And there are coatings to absorb radar/laser detection that are in the "just accept it" tech category like the Epstein drive.
Current stealth tech and Vantablack might disagree with you to some degree.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Baloogan posted:

hes a mod of gip

so hes actually a real human being who doesn't have to give a poo poo about offending your precious feelings

He doesn't need to worry about my feelings you knucklehead, he can post whatever he wants, but for a Real Human GIP Mod he got sort of salty about me very gently saying Show Is Not Good*

*As good as I'd like it to be

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Gotta say, results are exceeding expectations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

He doesn't need to worry about my feelings you knucklehead, he can post whatever he wants, but for a Real Human GIP Mod he got sort of salty about me very gently saying Show Is Not Good*

*As good as I'd like it to be

I thought about it a little bit more and I think that this is a really bad post

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Expanse stealth is not scientifically possible since even if you were able to make radar stealth, in space the main problem would be hiding the IR signature.

Even more challenging in space because you have a hot object with a extremely cold backdrop, plus those stealth ships would need to generate massive amounts of energy for their weapons and propulsion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah it's not an unreasonable technology given what already exists. But anyway, Expanse stealth is:

Painted black so you can't really see it.
Covered with a coating that absorbs all radar and laser targeting (this is a Mars technology).
Heat sequestration.

Mars is the leader in ship technology generally and particularly so with stealth. Ships can't stay in stealth for too long because they overheat, and they can't use their engines or weapons or anything without becoming visible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought about it a little bit more and since I have the same basic argument going in two different TV/IV threads I think I'll only stick to posting positive things

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Example: I liked how Alex got more attention this episode and I like how the actor is portraying the juxtaposition of his Asian-Indian ancestry and the Martian Texan accent

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Example: I liked how Alex got more attention this episode and I like how the actor is portraying the juxtaposition of his Asian-Indian ancestry and the Martian Texan accent
I felt surprised when I noticed his Martian Texan accent. Like he was suddenly making it really obvious and noticeable. Was I just not paying attention for the first few episodes?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno, he was probably playing it up for the navy for purposes of 'no siree i'm not some belter hick i'm one of you'

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zeris posted:

I felt surprised when I noticed his Martian Texan accent. Like he was suddenly making it really obvious and noticeable. Was I just not paying attention for the first few episodes?

Isn't that how military guys talk over comms? I thought military had to take the same sort of training as radio hosts in order to speak clearly, to the point that their voices sound far different from their normal ones. Maybe our GIP Mod can weigh in on this?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If your ship's drive is sufficiently directed, then you're not going to be throwing that much infrared at the people you're flying towards.

And painting your ship black seems like it would stop people seeing you with a telescope so I dunno

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Isn't that how military guys talk over comms? I thought military had to take the same sort of training as radio hosts in order to speak clearly, to the point that their voices sound far different from their normal ones. Maybe our GIP Mod can weigh in on this?

No, I spent six years working radio comms in different jobs in the Army and aside from pronouncing certain words and numbers differently, you just use your normal calm voice. If anything, you'd want to lessen your accent.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

If your ship's drive is sufficiently directed, then you're not going to be throwing that much infrared at the people you're flying towards.

No but the ambient background temperature is -270 degrees. Any ship is going to glow real bright in infrared unless there's some way to keep the heat from radiating, and you can only do that for so long before you cook the crew.

The books mention any ship under thrust with an Epstein drive is visible from anywhere in the solar system.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think it was the Revelation Space series that tried to explain it away with a subsurface cooling system and central heat storage? Or was it in The Expanse, too? My memory's kinda flaky.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Accents on the radio are the loving worst. Talking like you have marbles in your mouth is a great way to get someone killed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

And painting your ship black seems like it would stop people seeing you with a telescope so I dunno

Remember that when you're decelerating at the end of a trip you flip your ship 180 degrees and burn to decelerate, so your enemy is going to see the rear end end of your ship and drive plume incoming.

The captain of the Donnager shows Holden exactly that before they get owned by the stealth ship fleet.

I think the major application of stealth technology we've seen is when the Canterbury can't see the stealth ship waiting in ambush by the Scopuli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zeris posted:

He comes off cantankerous like a loud Texan in the first episode but any actual Texan accent is a bit subdued. I just remember his whole airplane pilot schtick.

• Locked thread