Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There is Anticipate.

The problem I have with UR Prowess is that it still seems worse than Atarka Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Isn't this the winter of perfect mana? Could you make a temur list?

You could add Atarka's command and Become Immense for not too much extra cost. Become imense is also going to be much easier to activate with all these cheap cantrips you're using to make the deck function.

It might be fighting with Treasure cruise for delve, but I feel like you'll cycle more than 12 cards in any game where you win anyway? like, if you don't burn through twelve cards, your dudes probably weren't able to pump huge enough for the kill?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 24, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Gensuki posted:

You could add Atarka's command and Become Immense for not too much extra cost. Become imense is also going to be much easier to activate with all these cheap cantrips you're using to make the deck function.

It might be fighting with Treasure cruise for delve, but I feel like you'll cycle more than 12 cards in any game where you win anyway? like, if you don't burn through twelve cards, your dudes probably weren't able to win.

So yesterday we did a lot of play testing at the LGS. We sleeved up UR Prowess, Jeskai Prowess and Atarka RUG. My thoughts were Jeskai Prowess was the best of them because it had reach. It played a lot like a slow modern burn deck. Early game hit with creatures and cantrips to fuel your hand, mid game just throw burn spells at their face until they die. Ascendancy was garbage in it and just cost a turn and killed you. But running 4 Jeskai charms, 4 wild slash and 4 exquisite firecraft worked pretty well to melt faces.

Just waiting for everything in the mail to be able to pull the proxies and take it to an FNM.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So yesterday we did a lot of play testing at the LGS. We sleeved up UR Prowess, Jeskai Prowess and Atarka RUG. My thoughts were Jeskai Prowess was the best of them because it had reach. It played a lot like a slow modern burn deck. Early game hit with creatures and cantrips to fuel your hand, mid game just throw burn spells at their face until they die. Ascendancy was garbage in it and just cost a turn and killed you. But running 4 Jeskai charms, 4 wild slash and 4 exquisite firecraft worked pretty well to melt faces.

Just waiting for everything in the mail to be able to pull the proxies and take it to an FNM.

Were you running the Jaces or were you doing the Elusive Spellfist replacements?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Count Bleck posted:

Were you running the Jaces or were you doing the Elusive Spellfist replacements?

Jace. The Jeskai build had spears, stormchasers and mantis riders, a few abbots for 15 total creatures and then draw and burn to round it out. A few counter spells tossed in and two manlands. Running a 22 land mana base.

It worked best when curving into mantis rider and then prowessing like crazy with draw turn 4 then face melting.

Oddly satisfying.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sounds like I should play the Jeskai Variant, or does that also run Jaces?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

or does that also run Jaces?

What a silly question. Is it a standard deck that plays or can splash blue?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

What a silly question. Is it a standard deck that plays or can splash blue?

I am allowed to hope.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My apathy for not getting jace when he was cheap is now haunting me. This is what it must've felt like for people who didn't get Jace TMS when it was $20.

j/k I would've traded him into modern staples after the rise anyway.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Count Bleck posted:

Sounds like I should play the Jeskai Variant, or does that also run Jaces?

Count Bleck posted:

I am allowed to hope.

Jace is really good but not wholly necessary. Just run it without him and add some more draw.

Edit: every time I see Eric Hawkins I want to punch him in his face. It's just so imminently punchable.

Also how does Mcaduffie play with his hair covering his eyes, comb your hair you loving bum. Looking like a nerdly maroon 5 is not good.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 24, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jace is really good but not wholly necessary. Just run it without him and add some more draw.

Edit: every time I see Eric Hawkins I want to punch him in his face. It's just so imminently punchable.

Also how does Mcaduffie play with his hair covering his eyes, comb your hair you loving bum. Looking like a nerdly maroon 5 is not good.

Do you have the jeskai list available? I need a deck for new standard but really don't want to drop another couple hundred on a bunch of mythics.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

Do you have the jeskai list available? I need a deck for new standard but really don't want to drop another couple hundred on a bunch of mythics.

It appears to have more mythics in it than before oath.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Chill la Chill posted:

My apathy for not getting jace when he was cheap is now haunting me. This is what it must've felt like for people who didn't get Jace TMS when it was $20.

j/k I would've traded him into modern staples after the rise anyway.

I bought into Jace when he was $20 because I wanted to run the U/R Tutelage deck. People at my LGS give me poo poo because no one else can afford him now.

I thought about trading him for Modern things too, but he is a Modern thing, so I'm just keeping them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

It appears to have more mythics in it than before oath.

What list is this now?

Edit: loving Palace Familiar in the feature match.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 24, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Got to appreciate those Moonlights.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I can't wait for these 4 and 5 color garbage time sinks to be gone. Fetchable duals with fetches was the worst thing ever,

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gensuki posted:

Mana Winter sounds like a cool way to describe how hosed Standard has been, at times.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
promo guides are scarce. dang

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They should just show Abzan v. Rally 15 times. I can't say I'm gonna miss watching people shuffle constantly when the fetchlands rotate.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Their match selection is horrible. First game was something like abzan vs esper dragon and second or third was a rally mirror.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

They should just show Abzan v. Rally 15 times. I can't say I'm gonna miss watching people shuffle constantly when the fetchlands rotate.

If there weren't no reason not to run loving 12 of them the Fetches would probably be fine.

As is there isn't, so they're not. I look forward to search cards getting shafted even harder as a response. :(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I look forward to search cards getting shafted even harder as a response. :(

Rampant Growth 2 (1G)
Sorcery
Look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may put a basic land card from among those cards into play tapped. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Fetches plus typed duals are literally the Devil

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I can't wait for these 4 and 5 color garbage time sinks to be gone. Fetchable duals with fetches was the worst thing ever,

I liked INN-RTR mana.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Rampant Growth 2 (1G)
Sorcery
Look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may put a basic land card from among those cards into play tapped. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

I just realized Magic is like 40% as fun for me if I don't play a card that lets me search through my library without cracking a fetch at least once in a game

No wonder I haven't liked the direction they've been going in

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

jassi007 posted:

I liked INN-RTR mana.

Yes the mana base then was very good. You could easily run 2 colors, 3 was a decent stretch, 4 and 5 were loving not attainable.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes the mana base then was very good. You could easily run 2 colors, 3 was a decent stretch, 4 and 5 were loving not attainable.

Omnidoor thragfire

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yup 4 color reanimator was definitely not a deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Latern decks were a (gimmicky) thing, they were the best

winning with door to nothingness is the best thing ever

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

awesomebrah posted:

Yup 4 color reanimator was definitely not a deck.

Never played against it so I wouldn't know about it.

Even if I had it wouldn't have mattered. Turbo Gates was INN-RAV and it was the best deck ever in standard.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Never played against it so I wouldn't know about it.

Even if I had it wouldn't have mattered. Turbo Gates was INN-RAV and it was the best deck ever in standard.

I like how you pivot from unequivocal statement to subjective dismissal. excellent shitposting, a fine vintage

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

whydirt posted:

Fetches plus typed duals are literally the Devil

But every other format has this? What makes it uniquely a bad thing for Standard? I haven't had a chance to play in the current Standard so I haven't experienced it myself.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

But every other format has this? What makes it uniquely a bad thing for Standard? I haven't had a chance to play in the current Standard so I haven't experienced it myself.

Every other format has ways of punishing people for it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lancelot posted:

I like how you pivot from unequivocal statement to subjective dismissal. excellent shitposting, a fine vintage

Okay let me make a change to my statement. FOR THE MOST PART there were two or three color decks, some outlying 4 color decks.

This standard has

Jeskai black
Mardu green
Abzan blue
4 color rally
5 color bring to light

It's a little ridiculous. And it seems like almost every deck but the UR Prowess and Eldrazi deck is 4 or more colors on the coverage.

Edit: I'm not sure what worse, watching these slow rear end decks durdle around forever or watching the Pats vs the Broncos durdling around forever. I'm probably going to switch it to football

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Every other format either has ways to keep it in check (Wasteland, Blood Moon, etc.), or has actual reasons why you'd want to focus on two (or even one) colours. They often align, with something like Death and Taxes, you stay in white/colourless for the effects, while also blocking your opponent's land hate (for the most part).

In Standard, you have access to good enough mana, and not enough focused payoffs, so you can (and should) use it all to go 4-5C GoodStuff. Even if it's not just A Pile Of Good, you get the point.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Serperoth posted:

Every other format either has ways to keep it in check (Wasteland, Blood Moon, etc.), or has actual reasons why you'd want to focus on two (or even one) colours. They often align, with something like Death and Taxes, you stay in white/colourless for the effects, while also blocking your opponent's land hate (for the most part).

In Standard, you have access to good enough mana, and not enough focused payoffs, so you can (and should) use it all to go 4-5C GoodStuff. Even if it's not just A Pile Of Good, you get the point.

If blood moon is in SoI I will poo poo myself with joy. It won't be but god drat it would be amazing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I actually think the main issue is that you're expected to make far more land drops in Standard than you are in Eternal formats.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

suicidesteve posted:

Every other format has ways of punishing people for it.

How quickly we forget Ob Nixilis Unshackled :colbert:

Before you leap down my throat yes, that is a joke.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yep I'm switching to football. I can't watch another rally vs 4 color same poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blood Moon is the worst kind of silver bullet, I don't think they're wrong to not reprint it.

• Locked thread