Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

The Locator posted:

I wasn't even all that concerned about him bumping the bike, it was how he acted afterwards, with his gun out (and handled in a way that I've certainly never seen taught outside of a video game or gangster movie).

What's even scarier is that OSP claims that's standard procedure. Glad I've never been caught by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The rider's mistake was stopping.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you want to get pissed off about a cop rear-ending a motorcycle I don't know if that's the hill to die on.

This, however, is.

TL;DR Ohio State Highway Patrolman was too busy using his MDT to notice he was approaching a couple riding on the highway (also too distracted to notice he was exceeding the posted limit by nearly 20 MPH,) rear ended the bike and one of the riders had to be life-flighted out. Prosecutor used a grand jury to decline bringing serious charges against the patrolman, who was charged with failure to maintain ACD and had his license suspended (but was given work privileges so he could keep his job,) and was forced to surrender a PTO day in lieu of being suspended without pay.

Bear in mind that if roles were reversed and a distracted civilian rear-ended a motorcycle cop who sustained injures severe enough to require life flight they'd probably spend at least five years in prison - assuming they left the scene of the accident alive and still able to eat solid food.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I did that thing in GTA a few times but because I'm not a mouth-breathing retard with a few extra chromosomes I would never consider doing so in real life.

In happier news (in a sense) I was walking home earlier tonight and, while I was in a crosswalk with a lady using a walker behind me, there were two cars queued to turn right across the crosswalk. The person in front was behaving in accordance with the law by waiting until the crosswalk was clear, but the person behind honked. And then honked again. And after the second honk, I (being buzzed at the time) yelled at them to go gently caress themselves and learn how a crosswalk works. I heard a "thank you!" as I walked away, issued from the car in front.

Why can't both drivers and pedestrians both learn to follow the law? It's not even remotely difficult.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoj posted:

If you want to get pissed off about a cop rear-ending a motorcycle I don't know if that's the hill to die on.

This, however, is.

TL;DR Ohio State Highway Patrolman was too busy using his MDT to notice he was approaching a couple riding on the highway (also too distracted to notice he was exceeding the posted limit by nearly 20 MPH,) rear ended the bike and one of the riders had to be life-flighted out. Prosecutor used a grand jury to decline bringing serious charges against the patrolman, who was charged with failure to maintain ACD and had his license suspended (but was given work privileges so he could keep his job,) and was forced to surrender a PTO day in lieu of being suspended without pay.

Bear in mind that if roles were reversed and a distracted civilian rear-ended a motorcycle cop who sustained injures severe enough to require life flight they'd probably spend at least five years in prison - assuming they left the scene of the accident alive and still able to eat solid food.

No they wouldn't.
I don't know OH law exactly, but I couldn't even trump up a felony there in either CA or MN law, much less 5 years worth.
Sober drivers who kill people can barely get felony charges. If they live, its even less likely.
That is, at best, a reckless and probably not even that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

No they wouldn't.
I don't know OH law exactly, but I couldn't even trump up a felony there in either CA or MN law, much less 5 years worth.

Ohio Revised Code 2903.13 posted:

(B) No person shall recklessly cause serious physical harm to another or to another's unborn.

(6) If the victim of the offense is a peace officer or an investigator of the bureau of criminal identification and investigation and if the victim suffered serious physical harm as a result of the commission of the offense, assault is a felony of the fourth degree, and the court, pursuant to division (F) of section 2929.13 of the Revised Code, shall impose as a mandatory prison term one of the prison terms prescribed for a felony of the fourth degree that is at least twelve months in duration.

...and that's assuming assault on an officer is the only charge they care to bring against you.

While I don't disagree that if it was just a random case of one motorist striking another there wouldn't be much/any prison time but that tends to go out the window when the victim is law enforcement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoj posted:

...and that's assuming assault on an officer is the only charge they care to bring against you.

While I don't disagree that if it was just a random case of one motorist striking another there wouldn't be much/any prison time but that tends to go out the window when the victim is law enforcement.

That's kind of a stupid law (making recklessness assault), but I'd have to dig into case law to see reckless driving fell under than law (many state except MV conduct from stuff like that elsewhere). I'm also not convinced that that is reckless. Reckless is actually an extremely high bar to reach that isn't met by most negligence.

Also, a lot of those laws have a knowledge requirement (which may be created by courts), which would be hard to prove against the dude who just wasn't paying attention.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Had an interesting commute home the other day. I take back roads home because the larger roads in the area get very busy very quickly in the evening, but thanks to a lorry falling over all the traffic was being directed off the main roads and through a small village.

Traffic is moving along slowly and a car at a junction ahead is looking to move out so I stop and let him out directly in front of me. In the car is an elderly man driving and an old lady in the passenger seat. The guy seems pretty absent minded, leaving large gaps in traffic before moving forward and being pretty heavy on the accelerator when he does move off but I put that down to him being fed up with the traffic, whatever no big deal.

A hundred metres up the road however the guy stops his car completely and the traffic up the road moves off leaving quite a big gap. Then I notice the old guy seems to have slumped over in his seat over the central console, at which point the car revs and pulls off extremely quickly. He drives up the back of the car in front, ripping all the back off, mounts the kerb and drives up the pavement for a bit before bouncing off a garden wall, ending back up on the road and gets pinned on the back of a large van, still revving the engine. I guess the poor guy must have had a heart attack or stroke or something.

Luckily the woman in the car he has torn the back off seems to be OK and so does the van driver. The old woman gets out of the car and some people go and help her but I didn't see what happened to the old man. An ambulance and a couple of police cars turn up and get it all under control so I leave, but it was one of the more surreal things I have ever seen. And I can't help but think that if I didn't let him pull out of that junction it would have been me he'd have driven into.

Best part is while all this was happening, a bloke in a 7-series BMW directly behind me apparently gets bored of sitting in traffic, pulls out into the oncoming lane which is empty and drives 50 metres up the road in the wrong lane to the next junction so he can turn around and promptly fucks off.

Makes me wish I had a dashcam to capture all this poo poo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ratbert90 posted:

The best place for winter driving I have ever lived in (12 states so far) is Michigan.

Middle of a snowstorm? Roads are fairly clear.
Morning after a snowstorm? Roads are wet and clear.

They don't gently caress around.

Upstate NY is the same way since they get dumped on yearly. I was born and raised there, probably one of the best and quickest snow cleanup crews I've witnessed. Only downside is not being able to see over the goddamn snowbanks to get in and out of the driveway.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It took me 16 minutes to get down a slushy .7 mile hill this morning because a Lexus in front of me refused to go fast enough to register on my speedometer in any way, or to move to the side of the road so the line of cars behind it could get by.

We finally hit a red light and he stopped 5 car lengths back and a few of us passed him on the right or the last half of the hill might have pushed me over the edge into Carmageddon. (We finished the hill at the speed limit, 30MPH, without so much as a slip)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

5 inches of snow today, and within about 40 feet, I saw a Passat high center on the median from the other direction, and the HHR in front of me (with no lights on) slam into the median at 25mph and proceed to turn her wheels toward the obstacle and FLOOR IT to high center herself. Snow in PA is a many-times-a-year occurrence...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, but it's been like, 10 months since it happened and I forgot everything! Panic!

As long as the idiots only kill themselves and not someone else, I don't really see a problem with this.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Coming up a hill I had a taxi minivan tailgating me, doing the high beam flipping, hand flailing angry thing (It's a 25MPH zone and I was already doing 30, I'm not speeding like a retard in the snow for anyone.) and we get to a red light, there's no way to take a right turn on red with someone in front of me at an angle in the intersection, so I patiently sit and wait.

We get the green, I take a gentle right, he comes flying out around me to the left, and I get to watch him in my rear view mirror go about 120* in an arc past the angle he wanted to turn because he was too impatient, and might have smacked the curb with his rear wheel but I wasn't looking that close.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
We only had 3-4" last night in Massachusetts and while sitting at a light last night in the midst of it while out getting a feel for my new snow tires in my ST I got to see an old man heading the opposite way in a late model full sized Buick casually drive up and over a large curb, go onto then drive completely across the entire sidewalk along a major 4-lane road for about 25', and then ease back onto the road all while looking as if they didn't even realize what they were doing going by their (lack of) expression of any sort of reaction to what was going on.

After this I decided it would be best to head in for the night as I noticed lots of people were making there way out onto the roads (around 6-7pm) so I hit the package store and made my way back home after some shenanigans around my neighborhood.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mariana Horchata posted:

We only had 3-4" last night in Massachusetts and while sitting at a light last night in the midst of it while out getting a feel for my new snow tires in my ST I got to see an old man heading the opposite way in a late model full sized Buick casually drive up and over a large curb, go onto then drive completely across the entire sidewalk along a major 4-lane road for about 25', and then ease back onto the road all while looking as if they didn't even realize what they were doing going by their (lack of) expression of any sort of reaction to what was going on.

After this I decided it would be best to head in for the night as I noticed lots of people were making there way out onto the roads (around 6-7pm) so I hit the package store and made my way back home after some shenanigans around my neighborhood.

You have snow tires??? I was told it hardly ever snows in the NE US and therefore they are unnecessary! You have been wasting money, I'm sorry to say!

</sarcasm>

Thank you for being responsible and intelligent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We went out to pick up a pizza and I got to watch the idiocy that takes place when the town sets the stop lights to flash yellow for the main road and red for the side roads to ease snow removal.

Result: a 4x4/awd audi SUV on the main drag goes through the flashing yellow, a bro-ey dude in a new mustang fails to understand the flashing red, nearly tbones the audi and lays on the horn, then oversteers, corrects badly, and almost hits a curb angrily racing the engine through the corner while pulling out behind the audi

People-watching is great here.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

You have snow tires??? I was told it hardly ever snows in the NE US and therefore they are unnecessary! You have been wasting money, I'm sorry to say!

</sarcasm>

Thank you for being responsible and intelligent.

Well they are cheaper than an insurance deductible, nevermind the additional cost of an AWD equipped vehicle...which is generally considered as equivalent to a get of out snow free pass in New England. Almost every time I ever mentioned having snow tires on my old WRX people would respond as if I had just told them I had put two snow tires on the front wheels of a Mustang like I wasn't aware that my car had AWD or something. And that WRX was one of the sketchiest cars I had ever driven in the winter with the original summer tires on it due to the huge false sense of security I had prior to driving it in the snow and the massive deficit between going and stopping in the snow which resulted in sudden unexpected understeer and a few embarrassing uncontrolled lock-ups going down hills requiring both the horn and e-brake to save my dumb rear end. Of course my favorite snow car ever was a Miata (the WRX with snow tires was far too competent and to have any fun required speed and lots of space, and of course the first storm that happened once I had the tires put on they banned driving in the state :rolleyes:).

kastein posted:

People-watching is great here.

Speaking of which has there been a good flood of youtube videos uploaded yet?

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 25, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And how!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I posted somethin', then I decided it was too mean so I redacted it real quick-like.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man I need to get a dashcam. In a week I could come up with a 5 minute compilation of people running red lights and stop signs near my apartment. Also morons who can't understand roundabouts.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a couple of jackasses get in a legit race in a parking garage. rear end in a top hat #1 decides rear end in a top hat #2 is going to slow and being too cautious so he takes off right as #2 turns left. #2 decides this will not stand and punches it and they both nearly collide several times as they race down to the street blaring their horns at each other. Holy gently caress.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 27, 2016

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a couple of jackasses get in a legit race in a parking garage. rear end in a top hat #1 decides rear end in a top hat #2 is going to slow and bring too cautious so he takes off right as #2 turns left. #2 decides this will not stand and punches it and they both nearly collide several times as they race down to the street blaring their horns at each other. Holy gently caress.

Shame they didn't meet the end that these fellows did:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/two-dead-after-car-plunges-off-ej-whitten-bridge-bursts-into-flames-in-keilor-east-20160126-gmem3x.html

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Attention morons: the construction speed zone ends at the sign that says "Construction Ends." That's why it's there. It doesn't end 300m earlier, so get off my rear end. If you're going to go back up from 50 km/h to 80 km/h in the construction zone, and you pass me, you goddamn better be willing to do 110 km/h in the place where the limit changes back to 80 km/h. Inevitably, though, they will do 80km/h on the nose in the area where I don't risk a double fine for speeding, holding me up...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

From another forum I read. A rocket scientist, for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That would actually be pretty interesting considering fuel needs to be a vapor with a somewhat precise oxygen ratio to properly explode. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have we moved on from sugar to poprocks in the gas tank? :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

From the freude thread, dude goes for a tootle on his bike, pulls into a completely deserted parking lot to pull some wheelies aaaaaaaaaaaaand gets some company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0S_NJxVK0&t=167s

2.47 in if the link doesn't do it for you.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

88h88 posted:

From the freude thread, dude goes for a tootle on his bike, pulls into a completely deserted parking lot to pull some wheelies aaaaaaaaaaaaand gets some company.

Dude on the bike (who is also an rear end in a top hat on the road, but for way different reasons not covered in this video) is incredibly bad at communicating what's wrong to that poor old demented man.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

88h88 posted:

That's amazing.

I also liked the biker calling the cops, telling them where he will be, then committing a traffic offense in that location.

Frobbe posted:

Dude on the bike (who is also an rear end in a top hat on the road, but for way different reasons not covered in this video) is incredibly bad at communicating what's wrong to that poor old demented man.

He said 'you've got a flat tyre, no oil, you need to stop'.

I'm not sure what more he could have said to communicate the issue? 'The Japanese are coming, get into cover!'?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I also heard "you've lost all your oil, stop driving, your car will explode..." multiple times, it's not his fault the old geezer isn't with it. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Saw an M&M (the logistics company not the candy) tractor trailer off the side of i95N south of the woburn area yesterday morning, not sure what the hell happened there but it looked like a one vehicle accident, so either driver left the road for bad reasons or dodged some idiot in a 4 wheeler and is probably wishing/glad he had a dashcam right now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2016/01/26/detroit-motorist-porn-movie-crashes-dies/79370556/

quote:

A Detroit man watching a porn movie while driving his car got into an accident and died.

The man, who wasn’t wearing pants, was watching the movie on his cellphone, said police.

The driver, 58, wasn’t wearing a seat belt and was partially ejected through the sunroof.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

88h88 posted:

People like that old man is the reason we need mandatory license retesting for senior citizens after a certain age, or at least after a change in health like a stroke or signs of dementia. . .

I admire the bikers talent to pull of a wheelie that long as well as his efforts to be a good samaritan, but practicing stunts on a public road is a bad idea. OTOH the public road was safer than the empty parking lot.

Darwinism is working. . . Was the driver wearing pants?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

They should have sent a poet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

Darwinism is working. . . Was the driver wearing pants?

Uthor posted:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2016/01/26/detroit-motorist-porn-movie-crashes-dies/79370556/

quote:

A Detroit man watching a porn movie while driving his car got into an accident and died.

The man, who wasn’t wearing pants, was watching the movie on his cellphone, said police.

The driver, 58, wasn’t wearing a seat belt and was partially ejected through the sunroof.

No. He was not wearing pants.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

PT6A posted:

No. He was not wearing pants.

Not even on his head?

:tinfoil:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Am I an rear end for calling in truckers to state patrol? I've
done it twice:

1) Driving into Madison at about 9 PM, right where 90/94 hits the interchange north of the city. The traffic was fairly heavy and it was dark and had recently rained. There was a rig driving with 0 lights, other than the yellow running lights on the bottom of the trailer.

2) On the way to Milwaukee, there was a rig in the middle lane that was shuddering. As I passed it, I saw the rearmost axle shuddering to an extreme level. It looked like it was bouncing up and down violently on a smooth road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Petite Dinklage posted:

Am I an rear end for calling in truckers to state patrol? I've
done it twice:

1) Driving into Madison at about 9 PM, right where 90/94 hits the interchange north of the city. The traffic was fairly heavy and it was dark and had recently rained. There was a rig driving with 0 lights, other than the yellow running lights on the bottom of the trailer.

2) On the way to Milwaukee, there was a rig in the middle lane that was shuddering. As I passed it, I saw the rearmost axle shuddering to an extreme level. It looked like it was bouncing up and down violently on a smooth road.

Nope, you're not - I called on one last summer because the rear end in a top hat trucker decided to (1) try to block me from merging onto the interstate, then (2) rode my rear end a few miles and finally (3) drat near clipped another car when he changed lanes with no signal or warning. I know not all truckers are like that but gently caress the irresponsible assholes that do that (and by extension in some cases, the companies that run them ragged).