Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Who What Now posted:

What good are facts and logic to you? The fact is is that you, personally, care more about owning guns than you do the deaths of innocent people. All of your ilk does.

I'd be more receptive to this argument if A) you applied the same utility logic to every thing else that causes deaths, and B) citizens' legal access to guns was significantly correlated to homicide rate, which it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pauline Kael posted:

How does my gun ownership relate to the death of innocent people? Can you show me a single instance of a NRA member being convicted of murder?

The NRA's general counsel Robert Dowlut was convicted of murdering his girlfriend's mother in 1963

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd be more receptive to this argument if A) you applied the same utility logic to every thing else that causes deaths, and B) citizens' legal access to guns was significantly correlated to homicide rate, which it is not.

You would never be receptive of the argument. Nothing is more important to you than gun ownership. All the facts and logic in the world won't change that, so what's the point in even trying? Better to just point and laugh at the psychopaths that love objects more than innocent life.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

You would never be receptive of the argument. Nothing is more important to you than gun ownership. All the facts and logic in the world won't change that, so what's the point in even trying? Better to just point and laugh at the psychopaths that love objects more than innocent life.

That's cool. We laugh at your pearl clutching and fear of inanimate objects. Wanna go get some beers after?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

stealie72 posted:

That's cool. We laugh at your pearl clutching and fear of inanimate objects. Wanna go get some beers after?

Sure, there's this abandoned gas station in the woods. Come alone and with your Social Security card.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Sure, there's this abandoned gas station in the woods. Come alone and with your Social Security card.

Darn it, I knew I should have started the "countdown to death threat" timer five posts ago.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

I don't fear guns. I fear idiots with guns. Because they are a real and proven danger.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

Darn it, I knew I should have started the "countdown to death threat" timer five posts ago.

What "death threat"? Just matching some creepy statements with others of my own.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

What "death threat"? Just matching some creepy statements with others of my own.

Yours always have that eerie sheen of plausibility to them though

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

Yours always have that eerie sheen of plausibility to them though

Stop blaming me for being an OK actor, jerk.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I don't fear guns. I fear idiots with guns. Because they are a real and proven danger.
Good news for you then, if we go for beers in my state, it's illegal to carry in a bar, so there will be no idiots with guns. I'll even pick up the first round.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Stop blaming me for being an OK actor, jerk.

Chikatilo was a great actor too, those kids followed him into the woods of their own free will.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

Good news for you then, if we go for beers in my state, it's illegal to carry in a bar, so there will be no idiots with guns. I'll even pick up the first round.

Yeah, and I bet this "bar" is located deep in the woods and just so happens to look like a freshly-dug shallow grave. You can't fool me.

Edit

Also the first round is a .45

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, and I bet this "bar" is located deep in the woods and just so happens to look like a freshly-dug shallow grave. You can't fool me.

Edit

Also the first round is a .45

Hey, I was just offering you a beer. You're going to have to find someone else to help with your kinks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Lots of murderers seem pretty innocuous at first.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It never fails to be creepy how many TFR posters believe they can brainwash people into liking guns through "going out for beers".

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Oh, that whacky, zany, random Effectronica, what a jokester! See threatening people's lives is ~hilarious~ and really adds a lot to the gun control debate!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Effectronica posted:

It never fails to be creepy how many TFR posters believe they can brainwash people into liking guns through "going out for beers".
Cheese it, fellas. He's onto us!!!!

The way to get people to stop being afraid of guns is to take them shooting. Everyone knows this. Sheesh.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Yeah I imagine a guy like you doesn't have any friends and has never been invited out for a beer. It helps explain your inability to discuss things like an adult and treasuring juvenile snark over rational discourse.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Viewing the relatively typical social interaction of having a friendly discussion over beers (or in an equivalent casual social setting) as a way to engage with a person and potentially sway their opinion as 'creepy brainwashing' is kind of weird.

Even autistic people don't hold that kind of view.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Edit: why not post some pictures with literal devices? They make you look so cool.

Okay. I made a holster for profit and mailed it out so a person can carry their gun around whenever they feel like it:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

Cheese it, fellas. He's onto us!!!!

The way to get people to stop being afraid of guns is to take them shooting. Everyone knows this. Sheesh.

I own and shoot guns regularly. However, unlike you gun nuts I have no illusions about using my guns to kill blacks burglars who try and break in, or for fighting off the usurper in the White Hut. I don't even keep my guns in our house, it's proven that just having guns vastly increases the chances of gun-related death of family members, I keep them stored in a safe in a storage locker. So no need to try and induct me into you're weird death cult, I'm well aware of it already.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

I'll add something else while I'm add it, and it feels strange to say it, but Tezzor is a higher quality poster than you are

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pauline Kael posted:

I'll add something else while I'm add it, and it feels strange to say it, but Tezzor is a higher quality poster than you are

Hey, do you have anything to say about this:

SedanChair posted:

The NRA's general counsel Robert Dowlut was convicted of murdering his girlfriend's mother in 1963

You know, the exact thing you asked for (even if I didn't provide it)?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You keep your guns offsite because statistics scare you or because you don't trust yourself or your housemates? Because the former is weird.

"This fiream stored in a safe with a cable lock through the action and ammo secured separately could, somehow, be considered to be a constant danger."

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

I own and shoot guns regularly. However, unlike you gun nuts I have no illusions about using my guns to kill blacks burglars who try and break in, or for fighting off the usurper in the White Hut. I don't even keep my guns in our house, it's proven that just having guns vastly increases the chances of gun-related death of family members, I keep them stored in a safe in a storage locker. So no need to try and induct me into you're weird death cult, I'm well aware of it already.

This isn't the sdth.txt thread. It is fun though to watch people make stuff up to try to be a part of the discussion.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

Hey, do you have anything to say about this:

You know, the exact thing you asked for (even if I didn't provide it)?

Yeah, I stand corrected. Sedanchair provided an example from 50 years ago of a single member of a 3+ million member organization that committed murder. Clearly NRA members are the real criminals.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No he's their general counsel right now. Like, he is their guy.

Butch Cassidy posted:

You keep your guns offsite because statistics scare you or because you don't trust yourself or your housemates? Because the former is weird.

"This fiream stored in a safe with a cable lock through the action and ammo secured separately could, somehow, be considered to be a constant danger."

It's weird, they think they're going to snap and decide to kill their kids or something. I'm worried about either the mental health or critical thinking skills of a person who can't tell the difference between themselves and people prone to violence.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Guns are #2 in my list of importance. #1 is my Freedom of Speech.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Gun laws usually stop criminals, you're right.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I showed on the last page that owning a car increases your chance of dying on the way to work by 1000x.

And just because you don't believe it doesn't matter. The 2nd Amendment was created to protect against tyranny. It's good that you don't have illusions abut fighting tyranny, that means our society is doing pretty good at the moment.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Gun laws usually stop criminals, you're right.

That why we need more of them. Its just common sense. Only the NRA is standing in the way of making it illegal to kill people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I showed on the last page that owning a car increases your chance of dying on the way to work by 1000x.

And just because you don't believe it doesn't matter. The 2nd Amendment was created to protect against tyranny. It's good that you don't have illusions abut fighting tyranny, that means our society is doing pretty good at the moment.

Why the second amendment was written doesn't matter. It has no place in today's society and should be abolished.

SedanChair posted:

No he's their general counsel right now. Like, he is their guy.

It's weird, they think they're going to snap and decide to kill their kids or something. I'm worried about either the mental health or critical thinking skills of a person who can't tell the difference between themselves and people prone to violence.

Yes, because accidents aren't a thing that happens. Oh, and mistaking your own spouse or children for an intruder and gunning them down in cold blood. Yeah, that's totally a thing that has literally never happened in all of human history. You got it. Great job!

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

stealie72 posted:

That why we need more of them. Its just common sense. Only the NRA is standing in the way of making it illegal to kill people.

Why more of them? What's going to be different? Is it going to be double illegal to kill someone? Is there a class of criminal that will be willing to kill someone under the current laws, but if it's double illegal, they won't?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

Why the second amendment was written doesn't matter. It has no place in today's society and should be abolished.

Yes, because accidents aren't a thing that happens. Oh, and mistaking your own spouse or children for an intruder and gunning them down in cold blood. Yeah, that's totally a thing that has literally never happened in all of human history. You got it. Great job!

Thank God you're not in charge, and built to stay that way

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

How do those accidents realistically happen with firearms kept secured and unloaded by an owner uninterested in using them for self defense?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Do you really have such a low opinion of yourself? How the hell can you trust yourself to transport people in an automobile, or mow your lawn?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Pauline Kael posted:

Why more of them? What's going to be different? Is it going to be double illegal to kill someone? Is there a class of criminal that will be willing to kill someone under the current laws, but if it's double illegal, they won't?

If it was illegal to murder people then there wouldn't be any murders.

Why won't the NRA listen to mayors demanding common sense from moms and stop telling their puppets in Congress to keep murder legal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Butch Cassidy posted:

How do those accidents realistically happen with firearms kept secured and unloaded by an owner uninterested in using them for self defense?

Good question. Ask the ones with the kids who were shot by the guns the owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Do you really have such a low opinion of yourself? How the hell can you trust yourself to transport people in an automobile, or mow your lawn?

Can you tell me how my life is improved by keeping my guns in my house?

• Locked thread