Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

chitoryu12 posted:

I quickly put up the video filmed of me using that magazine loader. This is the first time I ever used it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJMRLauk160

Almost seems like it'd be faster just to load them by hand. Still a pretty cool little device though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
http://dailycaller.com/2016/01/22/american-gripen-the-solution-to-the-f-35-nightmare/

Allright, which one of you is responsible for this bit of trolling?

(Make sure you read to the end)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Almost seems like it'd be faster just to load them by hand. Still a pretty cool little device though.

It's definitely much harder by hand in practice. You need to shove the cartridge stack down and push the next round straight back in, instead of just pushing down like an AK or Thompson magazine. It's a bit of a pain normally, but much more so after an hour of shooting various guns in a hot room when your hands are covered in sweat and have already loaded about 120 rounds into magazines before getting to the Sten.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheFluff posted:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/01/22/american-gripen-the-solution-to-the-f-35-nightmare/

Probably Johan from Paradox. They are a Swedish company, after all.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

How many maintainers lost their lives for this photo?

It's F-4s at what looks like Osan, which means it's the 1980s

So what you should be asking is "How many maintainers lost their livers and/or had to be put on antibiotics for a week to clear up the drip"

or

Psion posted:

at least 14 livers, if not lives

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheFluff posted:

I for one welcome the F-39 Bambiraptor, small trunk space but oh boy there's gonna be enough for every american home to have one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol there's pictures of the LRS-B flying already and it looks nothing like the YF-23

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

lol there's pictures of the LRS-B flying already and it looks nothing like the YF-23

Link?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/so-what-were-those-secret-flying-wing-aircraft-spotted-1555124270

If I had to guess, a large flying wing that isn't the B-2 is most likely still made by Northrop. It's not a 100% certainty that what's been sighted is the LRS-B testbed, but whatever it is there is more than one of them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

TheFluff posted:

Holy God that last paragraph

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Found a bitching 2014 report on the various possible Russian arms treaty violations.

http://www.nipp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Confirmation-of-Russian-Violations-of-the-INF-Treaty8.pdf

Also the F4 is a beautiful aircraft! Get a brain/taste morans!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nebakenezzer posted:

Holy God that last paragraph

"The F-22 would cost too much to modernize! Instead, we should go back to an even older, less finished airframe and modernize that!"

That whole website looks like a real winner, too.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
The author is well-known for arguing that the planet's climate is trending cooler rather than warmer. While I'm no scientist, I think maybe anything that guy has to say is pretty much garbage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Veritek83 posted:

The author is well-known for arguing that the planet's climate is trending cooler rather than warmer. While I'm no scientist, I think maybe anything that guy has to say is pretty much garbage.

Wait which author, because goddamn.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

xthetenth posted:

The Gripen guy: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/24/polar-vortex-or-ice-age/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

xthetenth posted:

He's written a book about the future being poo poo, surely he has many worthwhile ideas

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
What is the F-35s intended role in a conventional A2A fight where the ROE allows for BVR engagement?

Are they supposed to be the missile trucks that fire at targets the F-22's AWACs designate?
Are they supposed to designate targets for Super Hornets to missile spam?
Are they expected to go in alone and do it all?

The electronics suite that they have in the cockpit looks pretty amazing, and I'm sure the networking between each other is top-of-the-line, but is that going to be the only edge they need in a "Clancy Scenario"? I keep hearing that their stealth characteristics are "better" than the F-22's, but looking at that engine I can't believe that. They are not up to the task of fighting engagements where the ROE requires visual confirmation due to their inability to really turn/burn, and they have a really limited missile inventory compared to the 6 the F-22 can carry or the :laffo: 12 loadout the super hornet can muster.

What is the game-plan beyond, "This is going to create jobs in your riding congressman"?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A lot of the concerns you bring up here are why the US is very deliberately working to increase Combad ID capabilities across a variety of platforms. It can make it unnecessary to get visual in cases where you don't need a tail number or to look for other visual markings. If a radar can tell you "I'm 99.5% this shape is a Su-35" it makes it unnecessary to go take an actual look.*

*this is not representative of a particular system, just the idea that nations are seeking systems that do that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
As time goes on I kinda think the F-35 is a huge smokescreen to get other nations to develop 5th gen garbage while we perfect drone tech.

I mean, that has to be what's going on.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
F-35 good, so what

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Blistex posted:

What is the F-35s intended role in a conventional A2A fight where the ROE allows for BVR engagement?

Are they supposed to be the missile trucks that fire at targets the F-22's AWACs designate?

The electronics suite that they have in the cockpit looks pretty amazing, and I'm sure the networking between each other is top-of-the-line, but is that going to be the only edge they need in a "Clancy Scenario"? I keep hearing that their stealth characteristics are "better" than the F-22's, but looking at that engine I can't believe that. They are not up to the task of fighting engagements where the ROE requires visual confirmation due to their inability to really turn/burn, and they have a really limited missile inventory compared to the 6 the F-22 can carry or the :laffo: 12 loadout the super hornet can muster.

What is the game-plan beyond, "This is going to create jobs in your riding congressman"?

As much flak as the F35 justifiably gets, it is (eventually) going to be an exceptionally capable A2A platform. Sure, if the program wasn't such a clusterfuck it could have been significantly better kinematically, in payload, range, in cost, on schedule and the F-35B would not be a thing. But when it is finally finished, it is going to offer capabilities that are simply not present in 4th Gen aircraft, capabilities which will be absolutely vital in surviving current and future threats.

In terms of answering your question,

quote:

Yes, there has been development of more compact missiles, in order to increase their small payload http://theaviationist.com/2012/11/30/cuda/

quote:

Yes, there has been development of Co-operative Engagement Capability with legacy 4th gen platforms, to allow stealthy aircraft to designate to missile trucks.
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/here-s-the-first-shot-of-the-f-15c-pod-that-will-change-1750314539

quote:

No, there have been significant acquisitions and planning for the use of 4th gen aircraft, in terms of missile trucks and jamming platforms.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-doubles-f-15c-missile-load-in-2040c-eagle-u-416766/
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-fighter-idUSKCN0SK2OV20151026
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/here-s-the-first-shot-of-the-f-15c-pod-that-will-change-1750314539

Sure, the F35 could have been significantly better, and the program is a dumpster fire of the highest order, designed to funnel money into LockMart coffers. But the plane itself is not a turkey.

VikingSkull posted:

As time goes on I kinda think the F-35 is a huge smokescreen to get other nations to develop 5th gen garbage while we perfect drone tech.

I mean, that has to be what's going on.

As much as Lockheed Martin deserve to be indicted on federal fraud charges, they do have a point in terms of their definition of 5th gen and how it is a 'game changer'.

There is a reason why the United States has gone to the terrifyingly expensive effort to convert its entire tactical aircraft inventory to stealth aircraft in acquiring the F-22 and F-35.
There is a reason why all the great powers are trying to develop and acquire their 5th generation stealth aircraft (PAKFA, J-20, J-31) at tremendous cost , and everyone who isn't capable of developing one indigenously is trying to purchase them (F35, PAKFA, J-31).

The current Integrated Air Defense environment (S-300/ S-400) is incredibly lethal to all non stealthy aircraft and in order to survive in that environment, stealth is necessary . The current A2A environment is hugely advantageous to stealthy aircraft.

Stealthy aircraft will be the price of admission to fight a future high end, high intensity war, non stealthy aircraft will simply not survive in this environment. As much as the F35 program has been a dumpster fire, it does have legitimate goals. But yeah, its accomplished its goal of producing a plane which is a stealthy F16 equivalent, in literally the worst possible way. And the program is the biggest piece of poo poo in probably the history of United States acquisitions :v:

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Mr Crustacean posted:

Yes, there has been development of more compact missiles, in order to increase their small payload http://theaviationist.com/2012/11/30/cuda/

There's also been talk of eventually rearranging some parts of the A and C's weapons bay to allow for 6x AMRAAM internal carriage instead of 4x.

Also, w.r.t. mlmp08's discussion of NCTR stuff, it's also worth noting that even if you limit yourself to visually identifying aircraft, the F-35 has things like this:

http://gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteBeautifulHawaiianmonkseal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5VuCsQJy8Y

Nobody can pretend that F-35 acquisition hasn't been a procurement dumpster fire, but a stealthy F-16 with a bunch of sick-nasty sensors and sensor fusion and all that other crap eventually came out of it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Yes.

Remember the F-35 can carry (I think, anyway) 14 AAMs in non-stealthy mode (12x120, 2x9). In example, you can employ two 35s in "spotlight" configuration (all fuel and sensors) 100 kms ahead of a couple pairs of 35s in "missile truck" configuration. Those onboard AAMs can be complimented by Patriot MSE and SM-6 being controlled over a joint integrated fire control network to further extend the planes' (or ships, or Patriot launchers') magazines. Magazine depth is a big deal. This however is all irrelevant because we'll all be out of high end interceptors and attack missiles 30 minutes into a big shooting war (only half kidding).

Regarding visual IDs, the US is moving away from that doctrinally very, very quickly in every domain. Actively scanned arrays let you do some amazing things and we need to adapt our thinking in a big hurry to maximize what capabilities they give us.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Are the days of dogfighting over? Is it all missiles from outside visual range?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BurningStone posted:

There hasn't been an air to air battle for years so who knows.

I'll only say that this has been said many times before over the decades and its never been true. But missiles are actually good now so who knows.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr Crustacean posted:

And the program is the biggest piece of poo poo in probably the history of United States acquisitions :v:

Nah, not even close

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Sergeant York attempted to kill the Pentagon brass who funded it so in a sense it's the most successful product to come out of the MIX in a long long time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

Nah, not even close

I'm familiar with the first two but what is this ECSS?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm familiar with the first two but what is this ECSS?
In 2005 the Air Force wanted to update a bunch of legacy logistics systems. Oracle got the contract for $88.5 million. By 2012 they had thrown about $1.1 billion down the drain with nothing to show for it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

^^ haha, good God. Did nobody tell the military Oracle is basically a marketing company that outsources everything?

Also: when talking about procurement fuckery, people often ask about procurement fuckery behind the Iron Curtain. A few months ago, Xerxes17 in the mil history thread did some excellent effort posts on Soviet tank development. While the products were sometimes revolutionary (T-62) or quite useful (T-72) the story does talk about a poo poo-ton of needless competition, political shenanigans, and a process that has the Soviet Union fielding three MBTs with nothing common between them.

The T-62T-64

Object 172 Aka, T-72 “Straight outta Nihzny Tagil Ft. Leonid Kartsev”

The T-80: Explosion at the Soviet Haywire Factory

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 24, 2016

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

4 MBTs, if you count the diesel version of the T-80.

What was that quote, 10% more combat capability for 5x the cost?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The T-62 wasn't the revolutionary one, the T-64 was, and remained a more capable tank than anything in the West for the better part of a decade I think. You're actually linking to the T-64, just a little naming mistake.

The T-62 was basically a T-54/55 enlarged to carry the 115mm gun, which was pretty quickly made unnecessary by better ammo for the 54/55.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BurningStone posted:

Absolutely not. Low-RCS adversaries will just bring ranges closer together again. In a war zone where civilian traffic remains a problem you might have to get in closer to make sure you're not tagging a Malaysian/Russian/Korean/Iranian airliner instead of an Il-76. Pussyfooting politicans can also restrict the ROE like was seen in Vietnam. Electronic warfare may degrade radars and datalinks making long-range shots impossible to take or support. Bunch of reasons not to pretend everything's going to be BVR.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's hard to say though if we are actually shooting at Chinese or Russian planes the ROEs might not be much at all. poo poo has definitely hit the fan in that situation.

Missiles and radar are better than they were in Vietnam, but so are the ways to reduce weapon engagement distances. We won't really know for sure until it happens.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 24, 2016

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

BurningStone posted:

God knows, but there was some goon that said his dad developed missiles (might have been in this thread ages ago), and they basically considered hitting a plane a solved problem if you get a lock. Any modern missile can happily have IR, Optical and UV sensors, as well as RADAR, or passive RADAR for cheap - look at your mobile phone - computing power is cheap as gently caress.

Which is why stealth. If I can get a shot on you ten seconds before you can see me, you die every time.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Hexyflexy posted:

God knows, but there was some goon that said his dad developed missiles (might have been in this thread ages ago), and they basically considered hitting a plane a solved problem if you get a lock.

Assuming the missile's rocket motor can actually get it to the target, which might not be the case if it's high up, far away, and flying really fast.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Godholio posted:

Absolutely not. Low-RCS adversaries will just bring ranges closer together again. In a war zone where civilian traffic remains a problem you might have to get in closer to make sure you're not tagging a Malaysian/Russian/Korean/Iranian airliner instead of an Il-76. Pussyfooting politicans can also restrict the ROE like was seen in Vietnam. Electronic warfare may degrade radars and datalinks making long-range shots impossible to take or support. Bunch of reasons not to pretend everything's going to be BVR.

Worth noting that WVR crap today is not your daddy's Vietnam-era Sidewinders. I've probably posted these like 40 times and I don't care because they're cool as poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-BwMi19JE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LxhLMiRklQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Regarding the idea that a lock means a definite hit, have fun seeing if your lock is valid on fourth gen radars when the enemy is pushing false targets at an alarming rate and generally playing hell on your radar.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

mlmp08 posted:

Regarding the idea that a lock means a definite hit, have fun seeing if your lock is valid on fourth gen radars when the enemy is pushing false targets at an alarming rate and generally playing hell on your radar.

That I have no idea about, and I'll defer to the person who knows more about it than me, but what I do know is the optical sensors you can pack in a small space are getting really good, and good luck spoofing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its gonna take alot of missiles to get a kill on a real battlefield