Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Had to settle for an airport room. This is the first year I didn't get a downtown room - guess my luck had to run out eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

nesbit37 posted:

At what wait time does it seem the downtown hotels ran out? Seems roughly 90 minutes was the mark they ran out last year.

It depends on what exactly you're looking for. I had to wait 50 minutes and there were no rooms with 2 beds connected to the convention center, but there were rooms with 1 king by the time I got in.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
W00t! Westin!

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
Woo! Back in the CrownePlaza! wheeeew. And now I can relax until event registration opens.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Got the Le Meridien for half of what our room was last year, waking up at 9am to be finished by 9:15 because I am a goddamn lottery superstar was pretty legit.

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009
Anyone have experience with the Omni? The guy in our group who got in fast enough said it was the only connected hotel left that had non king rooms

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

It's where the anime is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've never stayed in the Omni, but I dream of getting to hang with anime crew

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Enjoy the Anime Ghetto. I'm sure the hotel is nice, but the hallways will be crowded with waifus

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I saw some people talking about waitlists on the Good Hotels. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I saw some people talking about waitlists on the Good Hotels. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

I thought they cut those out last year - you had to manually check the housing portal to see if any rooms were released.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

djfooboo posted:

Depends on their policies for non-regular rentals.

I'm not sure, but I know someone who found a place to stay via them last gencon and might be able to provide some info or get you in touch with the owner.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Carteret posted:

Enjoy the Anime Ghetto. I'm sure the hotel is nice, but the hallways will be crowded with waifus

uhhh why was the omni not at the top of our hotel reg priority list

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Link43130 posted:

Anyone have experience with the Omni? The guy in our group who got in fast enough said it was the only connected hotel left that had non king rooms

The Omni is awesome, I've stayed there the last few years and again this year.

Yes larpers will try to recruit you to do whatever. But there is an awesome bar and the weird con-goer stories from the bartender are hilarious. The basement clears out at night if you need gaming space, as does the second floor.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anime nerds, in my gaming con?!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Got my usual sheraton city center, i feel lucky about it since everyone in my group but her got an over 2 hour wait - hers was 45 minutes. As always it is like a massive stone weight is removed from my chest now that lodgings are secured.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Double Agent posted:

It depends on what exactly you're looking for. I had to wait 50 minutes and there were no rooms with 2 beds connected to the convention center, but there were rooms with 1 king by the time I got in.

FYI, if you have to I would just take the king. I had to settle for a king last year in the westin but when I got there they I just asked and they switched me to two doubles no problem. Its not a guarantee, but if the hotel has empty rooms of the same price due to cancellations or people not wanting to pay rack rates for the empties I am sure most won't have a problem switching.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

8one6 posted:

The "I should get first pick for hotel rooms" and the "Why should the VIGs get (benefit)" are always fun.

I'm kind of liking the "Exhibiters aren't real people, they shouldn't be allowed to book downtown" argument I saw advanced on the forums.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.ibj.com/articles/55356-rising-occupancies-spur-downtown-hotel-building-boom

In theory, another ~2000ish people downtown for next year, maybe? Hard guesses and prayers, though, who knows. Buildings!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I got the Courtyard for my hotel. Is it any good? Can a Standard Double/Double host 3 people?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Exmond posted:

I got the Courtyard for my hotel. Is it any good? Can a Standard Double/Double host 3 people?

Well there are many Courtyards on the list, but assuming the Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown, the Queen/Queen room allows up to 4 people per Marriott's website.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Exmond posted:

You can host as many as you can cram in there per gen con standards

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Depending on how you stack them a Queen room can fit dozens, hundreds of people even.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Depending on how you stack them a Queen room can fit dozens, hundreds of people even.

Just think if you cram a hundred you're probably paying about 2 dollars a night. Sweet deal

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a 1-King at Crowne Plaza.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

1-King at the Hilton for me, three blocks from the con. *nice*

I only had a 44-minute wait for the room lottery, which was nice.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Y'all got lucky, we had a group of 6 separate people and the earliest time slot we had was an hour forty-five :(

Airport hotels for everyone.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I feel like they make the housing lottery worse every year. Surviving the worst of it makes you a Gen Con veteran.

Followed my advice from last year and had a room at the Conrad Hilton around Christmas. You really have to get those rooms early, even with preferential treatment from the hotel chain, or they'll all be gone by the time you get around to it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly it could be worse. Last year I spent more on a hotel 20-25 mins away from the con hall that was barebones as heck. This time I have a suite 10 mins away. I can live with that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

I feel like they make the housing lottery worse every year. Surviving the worst of it makes you a Gen Con veteran.

Followed my advice from last year and had a room at the Conrad Hilton around Christmas. You really have to get those rooms early, even with preferential treatment from the hotel chain, or they'll all be gone by the time you get around to it.

Eh, it's a lottery. If you were in sub-1 hour-wait, you probably think the lottery is great. I can't think of how else they can deal with the supply-demand problem.

Just pray Indy's lust for another Super Bowl gets a ton more downtown hotels! Which, going by the YOY increase in attendance...won't help.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

I think we book ours like 2-3 weeks after Gencon. However, that rate was $1770 instead of the $870 or so it was through the lottery. Still worth it, but it's nice to win the lotto and save like $225 per roomie :v:

This is our first year winning the lotto unfortunately. We keep talking about trying to VIG it up but it's like impossible to get VIG nowadays.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sigma-X posted:

...We keep talking about trying to VIG it up but it's like impossible to get VIG nowadays.

There's a better chance of getting one in 2017. A few of the VIGs are bitching about the change to the companion pass limit and are threatening to drop their vig badge.

These people are loving morons.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

You have to win a different lottery to VIG it up. I tried and failed this year. It's a lot of money, but at least you are basically guaranteed to get your hotel of choice.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Hey Quarex, should we just transform this thread into the perpetual gen con thread instead of a new one each year?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Hey Quarex, should we just transform this thread into the perpetual gen con thread instead of a new one each year?

Yeah I vote this.

I may have spent the past 4 days setting up an automatic system for checking the hotel page for a downtown hotel and alert me when/if one pops up. If you keep checking there's pretty regularly 5-7 mile hotels opening up!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah I vote this.

I may have spent the past 4 days setting up an automatic system for checking the hotel page for a downtown hotel and alert me when/if one pops up. If you keep checking there's pretty regularly 5-7 mile hotels opening up!

I put the idea into the ether for some friends and couldn't get anyone to do it for me for free. I manually refreshed for a while, but, that's for the birds.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah I vote this.

Offer your services to the public, charge a finder's fee, pay for Gencon.

edit: free bag of strokeweed with every room

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If anyone is serious about that, pm me. I'll probably post in the thread whenever <10 mile hotels open

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 29, 2016

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So the discussion about "OMG we have to move Gen Con!!!!1!11!!ELEVENTY" has started up again on the gen con forums and it reminded me of the episode my podcast did about the subject (as part of a larger discussion). So if you want to listen to me and my friends make fun of midwest towns this link should skip the SB101 discussion we had with a local reverend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Marriott East just opened up. 10 miles from the ICC.

• Locked thread