Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

In Terminator 2 Arnold is actually the good guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

In Terminator 2 Arnold is actually the good guy
How was that subtle?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I don't know if subtle is the right word for it but there is a nice build up of tension because it's not clear at the beginning which of these guys is the good one.

Arnold is revealed to be the good terminator at the Galleria hall shoot out, which happens about 40 minutes in the movie.

Plus I don't think we ever see a "robovision" POV shot from T-1000's perspective. Maybe they thought that it wasn't necessary but it also makes him even more alien combined with his shapeshifting capabilities.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fish of hemp posted:

I don't know if subtle is the right word for it but there is a nice build up of tension because it's not clear at the beginning which of these guys is the good one.

Arnold is revealed to be the good terminator at the Galleria hall shoot out, which happens about 40 minutes in the movie.

Plus I don't think we ever see a "robovision" POV shot from T-1000's perspective. Maybe they thought that it wasn't necessary but it also makes him even more alien combined with his shapeshifting capabilities.

Cameron verrrry carefully engineered the start of the film so that the audience wasn't aware that the T800 had been sent back to protect John (Sarah Connor's voiceover at the start talks about a "lone warrior" being sent back, the T800 kills a bunch of guys in a bar when he arrives and when it sees John for the first time it displays “TARGET ACQUIRED” on its POV shot, etc etc) but then, hilariously, the trailer for the movie completely spoilered all that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fish of hemp posted:

If you'd seen it in 1991 you'd know there was no tension, because the press knew from Arnie that he'd refused to do a second Terminator movie unless he was the good guy and it was all over the place. Also when getting his clothes Arnie doesn't kill anyone even when they attack him with guns and knives despite having no orders not to - later you'll recall John has to stop him killing the defenseless jock solely because that's what Terminators do - and does the cool glasses grab, while the T-1000 kills the cop on camera showing no emotion whatsoever. It's not a bad mirror anyway, down to the T-800 arriving first in both movies, but it's flawed.

There are two really subtle mirrors in T2, though. First is the phone calls. Both Sarah and John call home to warn their mothers against their protector's advice (well, Janelle in John's case), only to end up talking to a Terminator impersonating them. In the first movie Sarah falls for it and reveals her location to the T-800; in the second John doesn't get caught because he has a T-800 that of course knows the trick and expected it. Second is the final fights. In both movies the good guy has a non-functional left arm and the bad guy can't walk properly (the bad T-800 had a broken piston on one ankle before being blown in half, the T-1000 keeps sticking to the floor).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The credits of Kung-fu Panda have a bunch of great aftermath drawings, including one of Tigress and Shifu finally trying some of Po's secret ingredient soup. This is that image:

Shifu and Tigress finally learning that it's OK to laugh at themselves :3:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cameron verrrry carefully engineered the start of the film so that the audience wasn't aware that the T800 had been sent back to protect John (Sarah Connor's voiceover at the start talks about a "lone warrior" being sent back, the T800 kills a bunch of guys in a bar when he arrives and when it sees John for the first time it displays “TARGET ACQUIRED” on its POV shot, etc etc) but then, hilariously, the trailer for the movie completely spoilered all that.

My friend saw T2 without seeing the trailer or any of the press and was completely blown away by the reveal. I would love to have been that in the dark when I saw the film.

Later he "spoiled" the movie for a bunch of us who hadn't seen it yet by telling us that the liquid-metal Terminator gets killed by liquid nitrogen + shattering, and we hated him for it when that scene came up... until the liquid metal started to coalesce, and then we were the ones blown away.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

minato posted:

My friend saw T2 without seeing the trailer or any of the press and was completely blown away by the reveal. I would love to have been that in the dark when I saw the film.

I was too young to be aware of the trailers/press for T2 when it first came out, and then when I was in my early-mid teens, my parents showed me Terminator, then T2 immediately after with zero explanation. The big reveal was so sweet. It's a shame that this kind of movie always has its twist ruined by the marketing, because you can't really market the movie without talking about the overall plot. I've always wanted to do something like this for someone who doesn't know anything about From Dusk Til Dawn, which would be completely believable as a standard crime-action movie for the first half hour or so. I'd love to see their face when it turns into a vampire movie.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Patattack posted:

I was too young to be aware of the trailers/press for T2 when it first came out, and then when I was in my early-mid teens, my parents showed me Terminator, then T2 immediately after with zero explanation. The big reveal was so sweet. It's a shame that this kind of movie always has its twist ruined by the marketing, because you can't really market the movie without talking about the overall plot. I've always wanted to do something like this for someone who doesn't know anything about From Dusk Til Dawn, which would be completely believable as a standard crime-action movie for the first half hour or so. I'd love to see their face when it turns into a vampire movie.

I had that, for Dusk til Dawn.

It DID blow me away!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I went into The Grey with no idea what it was about. I thought it was a spy film (I think I mixed it up with Safe House) and was surprised as gently caress when suddenly wolves.

I found out later that the trailer even goes so far as to show the last 10 seconds of the movie ala Free Willy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I saw Troll Hunter a while ago, and I imagine the setup and twist - found footage film where university kids try to get in contact with an infamous poacher and find out that trolls from Norse mythology are real - would be quite effective, if the movie wasn't called Troll Hunter. I don't even know why I'm spoiler tagging it. Turned out to be more of a deadpan comedy anyway so I'm not even sure if the "twist" was really the point.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

minato posted:

Later he "spoiled" the movie for a bunch of us who hadn't seen it yet by telling us that the liquid-metal Terminator gets killed by liquid nitrogen + shattering, and we hated him for it when that scene came up... until the liquid metal started to coalesce, and then we were the ones blown away.

I had that spoiled for me... by Hot Shots 2.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Roblo posted:

It DID blow me away!

I did this for a friend and we had to pause the movie he was so blown away.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

I had the "true experience" with Terminator 2. A couple of friends and I, we were going to watch Conan but we rented Terminator 2, we knew literally nothing about it other than what had happened on the first movie, so the "plot twist" was amazing.

I also watched Alien without knowing it was a scary movie, when I was way, way too young (4 years or so? I thought it was going to be like E.T). Scared me shitless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Roblo posted:

It DID blow me away!

I was the same, except while the back half was a lot of fun I was actually REALLY enjoying the set-up from the first half and kinda wanted to see that storyline continue :shobon:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mendigo posted:

I had the "true experience" with Terminator 2. A couple of friends and I, we were going to watch Conan but we rented Terminator 2, we knew literally nothing about it other than what had happened on the first movie, so the "plot twist" was amazing.

I also watched Alien without knowing it was a scary movie, when I was way, way too young (4 years or so? I thought it was going to be like E.T). Scared me shitless.

I first saw Alien when I was six. Even though I watched the whole thing, my dad could tell that it hosed up my brain. He got way too strict after that, so far that I couldn't watch Time Bandits for a while.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Inzombiac posted:

I first saw Alien when I was six. Even though I watched the whole thing, my dad could tell that it hosed up my brain. He got way too strict after that, so far that I couldn't watch Time Bandits for a while.

Aliens was one of the first movies I remember seeing (supposedly I was 2 or so, but I don't really know), I don't know if it hosed up my brain but it gave me some awesome nightmares over the years. I also apparently had a crush on Newt when I was really little.

As for going in blind to a movie and being blown away, I love springing The Thing on unsuspecting friends and watching their reactions when the dog's head splits open and all hell breaks loose.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Macready's bigass hat is the best thing. Makes me laugh every scene it's in.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I went in to Cabin in the Woods knowing nothing about it. Not even the actors. It remains one of my favorite movies because of that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Antioch posted:

I went in to Cabin in the Woods knowing nothing about it. Not even the actors. It remains one of my favorite movies because of that.

Aw gently caress, me too. All I knew was that it was Sam Rami. Fuuuuck that was good.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Antioch posted:

That is how my wife saw it. I don't think she has ever been more interested in a movie that she didn't give two shits about. She even made me go though the wiki so she could learn about each monster.

I told her going in that the movie isn't about what she thinks it is about and she probably wont like it because of the twist. She was expecting an Evil Dead knock off.

Two Feet From Bread has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Jan 25, 2016

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My GF hates horror films so I had the hardest time getting her to watch that film. Once she saw it though, she was blown away

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Cabin in the Woods still has one of my all-time favorite payoffs with the merman

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

telescoping bong/mug is the best thing in that entire movie

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Calaveron posted:

Cabin in the Woods still has one of my all-time favorite payoffs with the merman

I'm sure cleanup really would be a nightmare if, you know, humanity had survived.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Inzombiac posted:

Aw gently caress, me too. All I knew was that it was Sam Rami. Fuuuuck that was good.

Cabin in the woods was Joss Whedon. Drag me to Hell was Raimi.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
My favorite "I was not expecting that" movie would be either Se7en or Usual Suspects. Got to watch both of them without having them spoilered and they both blew me away. Both of those movies have tons of subtle moments.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I watched the Star Wars pre-equals several years ago with my 8 year old daughter. I can't recall if she had see the original movies or not, but her cultural muscle memory knew Luke was good and Vader was bad. I guess she didn't remember last names or back stories though, so when Anakin became Darth Vader she was so angry that she hit me and walked out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krispy Kareem posted:

I watched the Star Wars pre-equals several years ago with my 8 year old daughter. I can't recall if she had see the original movies or not, but her cultural muscle memory knew Luke was good and Vader was bad. I guess she didn't remember last names or back stories though, so when Anakin became Darth Vader she was so angry that she hit me and walked out.

No, that was because you're a bad dad and made your poor daughter watch the SW prequels.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Joey Freshwater posted:

My favorite "I was not expecting that" movie would be either Se7en or Usual Suspects. Got to watch both of them without having them spoilered and they both blew me away. Both of those movies have tons of subtle moments.

In Se7en, Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I always found it odd that the movie was so focused on the seven deadly sins but it ends with Brad Pitt getting to third base

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

death .cab for qt posted:

I always found it odd that the movie was so focused on the seven deadly sins but it ends with Brad Pitt getting to third base

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MariusLecter posted:

In Se7en, Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

No he isn't. There are several scenes I can think of off the top of my head where he reads things.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Smiling Jack posted:

No he isn't. There are several scenes I can think of off the top of my head where he reads things.

He can't read the literature Somerset refers to about the seven deadly sins and he couldn't read the paperwork when buying the apartment that said it was by the tracks.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MariusLecter posted:

He can't read the literature Somerset refers to about the seven deadly sins and he couldn't read the paperwork when buying the apartment that said it was by the tracks.

:confused: he literally reads the list of books, which sets up the "human bondage?" "not what you think" exchange- which shows he is uncultured not illiterate.

Similarly, there's no reference to reading anything w/r/t the apartment - Pitt's character, a homicide detective, fails to pick up on the fact that the agent rushes them out of the apartment, showing that he is naive and trusting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MariusLecter posted:

He can't read the literature Somerset refers to about the seven deadly sins

He "can't" read it because he finds it incredible dense/boring/impenetrable and doesn't have the patience to work his way through it like Somerset does. He's a reckless guy who rushes into things, as is demonstrated many times in the movie such as the scene where he kicks the door in despite Somerset's warnings and then they have to pay a homeless person to lie about informing them to come in because she saw the killer.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kind of a boring one. but Starship Troopers: when Diz joins the Mobile Infantry, she spars with Clancy Brown, who wins by pinning her to the ground with his knee on her throat. In the next scene, when Diz asks Rico if she can sit with him, there's a gigantic bruise on her neck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

synthetik posted:

Cabin in the woods was Joss Whedon. Drag me to Hell was Raimi.

I've been doing that a lot lately. I think I have a brain tumor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Inzombiac posted:

. I think I have a brain tumor.

Well you did see a joss whedon movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It's a TV show, not a movie, but I was watching the Minority Report show (not great but not a terrible way to burn a couple of hours) and this show, like so many others set in The Future, has everyone's monitors and PDAs replaced by clear panes of glass with no back cover.

Unlike every other representation of this I've seen and been annoyed by, however, when viewed from the back of the monitor it just looks like an empty window. None of the information that the user is seeing is visible from the back.