Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah watching my 150 lb Lt. running around us humping a like 80 lb pack plus another dudes pack on his shoulders up a huge hill towards the end of a literal death march was pretty :stare:

Not gonna lie the tough hikes are amongst the hardest things I've done in my life and at the end I have no idea how I made it. (Wasn't exactly leading the pack mind you, no pun intended) There was a bitch of a hill that would immediate heat cas pogs within 1/2 mile. There's about a 10-20 min gap that I pretty much blacked out on and came to when I was at the end of our group and another Lt is yelling at me

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i saw guys smaller than you hump more weight, you would be surprised what your body is capable of

I've seen supply room chicks able to hump more weight than me on a march.

Once upon a time I didn't give a gently caress and ground my vertebrae until the cows came home. I was in the best shape of my life. 2 tours and 2000 hours of doing poo poo in the back of a poo poo-hook later... I'm good and I'll take my pussy weight. Pretty much the only reason I still ruck and lift and run and condition is because like everyone here, nobody wants to be a fat lazy piece of poo poo. And well, maybe we want to be able to save our own asses when/if we have to. That's good enough for me. Looking good in clothes is a bonus.

Ohyeah, what the gently caress is up with butterbars? When they pin that poo poo on do they magically get running and rucking powers, then lose it after they put a leaf on? I've never met a Lt that was bad at running.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

IOC ain't no loving joke. There's a reason the hand picked women that get professional personal trainers and are crossfit superstars can't pass

One dude (Lt 5000) ran a 15 min 3 mile

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 3, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have wrestled with dudes who are 50 and sometimes 100 pounds heavier than me, its more about cheating with the laws of physics and being legit strong.

Also i know some of you would appriciate this dumb poo poo in here:

Stay determined, you fat fucks!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Endbuster posted:

I've seen supply room chicks able to hump more weight than me on a march.

Once upon a time I didn't give a gently caress and ground my vertebrae until the cows came home. I was in the best shape of my life. 2 tours and 2000 hours of doing poo poo in the back of a poo poo-hook later... I'm good and I'll take my pussy weight. Pretty much the only reason I still ruck and lift and run and condition is because like everyone here, nobody wants to be a fat lazy piece of poo poo. And well, maybe we want to be able to save our own asses when/if we have to. That's good enough for me. Looking good in clothes is a bonus.

Ohyeah, what the gently caress is up with butterbars? When they pin that poo poo on do they magically get running and rucking powers, then lose it after they put a leaf on? I've never met a Lt that was bad at running.

Yeah the article didn't say you'd fold in half instantly with anything over 35 lbs just that you would gradually start jacking up your back the heavier and more frequently you did it. At 35 lbs. you can do it to your heart's desire without doing any damage at all.

As for butterbars and running, between OCS and IOBC I'd say running was 90% of our PT. My pushups and situps only marginally improved but I could max the run by the time I was done. They seemed to have this idea that hard PT = running, anything else = shamming. In fact, I was in the marginal PT group (had to PT on Saturdays) during IOBC for pushups (couldn't do enough at Ranger PT test standard). All we did was run even though about 1/3 of us were there for pushups.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Yeah the article didn't say you'd fold in half instantly with anything over 35 lbs just that you would gradually start jacking up your back the heavier and more frequently you did it. At 35 lbs. you can do it to your heart's desire without doing any damage at all.

Uhhhh yeah, about that...

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Well, I think I've succeeded in pissing something off in my foot. 5x5@315 high bar squats felt good bottoming out and bouncing off my calves, but after I finished the rest of my workout and started walking back from the gym it almost felt like I'd given myself a Jones (5th metatarsal stress) fracture and pissed off what I'm hoping is the plantar fascia in my arch.

I knew there was a reason I swiped a bottle of 30mg Mobic before I left.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was a nice 7% bodyfat in November but since the snow came I'm up ~10-15lbs. Any good winter workouts to replace daily runs? Gym time alone isn't cutting it like it used to.

Should I just accept the winter weight and bulk?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I replaced running/cycling with Rowing a few years ago. Doing 30-40 minutes of rowing is always interesting and seems to burn just as many, if not more calories than cycling or running does...

You of course need to have a rowing machine at your local gym of course, or throw down on one.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I like swimming, personally. But you obviously need access to a pool. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MurderBot posted:

I replaced running/cycling with Rowing a few years ago. Doing 30-40 minutes of rowing is always interesting and seems to burn just as many, if not more calories than cycling or running does...

You of course need to have a rowing machine at your local gym of course, or throw down on one.

using the rowing machine a time or two a week in place of other cardio has been really great for my posture/upper back/caveman shoulders from sitting all day, too

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I like swimming, personally. But you obviously need access to a pool. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oooh, swimming is the tits, especially if you're at a university which has a swimming team. There's nothing better than swimming next to some sexy athletic swimmers and peepin some underwater butt. BTW swimming is super good for cardio and upper body strength so there's that too.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Swimming can be hell on your shoulders though, so don't rush into it and make sure you stretch.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Practice Brazilian JiuJitsu for better cardio. That said I am looking to buy a compact and foldable stationary bike so I can do more cardio.

Also gently caress running forever.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Sorry I don't want to hug dudes as part of my workout routine.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My gym has a pool, I'll try it out - thanks!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Sorry that you don't like having fun while working out.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

ElMaligno posted:

Sorry that you don't like having fun while working out.

Isn't the cooldown to a Mayweather routine beating your wife? Could be trouble if they're not enlisted.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Fart Sandwiches posted:

loving pussy, if you were a man and not some human being you would hug that poo poo out and compete to be the best hugger. The hugger of death, if you will.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Frosted Flake posted:

My gym has a pool, I'll try it out - thanks!

If you decide to really get into it, invest in some good goggles and shampoo designed for swimmers. Trust me, I grew up with a constant odor of chlorine on me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Steezo posted:

Isn't the cooldown to a Mayweather routine beating your wife? Could be trouble if they're not enlisted.

Well im into grappling not boxing. So more probably i would choke my wife than beat her, sorry

Endbuster posted:

loving pussy, if you were a man and not some human being you would hug that poo poo out and compete to be the best hugger. The hugger of death, if you will.

This but unironically.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

This but unironically.

I meant it sincere. That poo poo will wear you out. Haven't done it much, but after about 1/2 hour you aren't think about if that dude is gay, you're thinking about how much you want to puke but can't because you gotta tie this dude up in a knot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Practice Brazilian JiuJitsu for better cardio. That said I am looking to buy a compact and foldable stationary bike so I can do more cardio.

Also gently caress running forever.

Yeah seriously BJJ is tough. Running loving blows and you're just boring if you can't find a better form of cardio

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
there are very few times in my life where ive worked out so hard that ive puked, but the time where my friend took me to the gym he trained at and we rolled for about 30 minutes was one of them. of course im a lazy piece of poo poo who doesnt really do cardio, but i did make him tap a bunch and he couldnt get me even once :smuggo:

but gently caress all that, youre just asking for a staph infection flopping around on a mat in other peoples sweat

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

there are very few times in my life where ive worked out so hard that ive puked, but the time where my friend took me to the gym he trained at and we rolled for about 30 minutes was one of them. of course im a lazy piece of poo poo who doesnt really do cardio, but i did make him tap a bunch and he couldnt get me even once :smuggo:

but gently caress all that, youre just asking for a staph infection flopping around on a mat in other peoples sweat

This is only true if the gym is filthy as gently caress, they don't take care of their mats and you take a shower as soon as possible.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've fat shamed myself to get back to the loving gym. It's a start but I did an hour on the elliptical. Gotta keep up on this poo poo because I'm tired of having a gut and being out of shape. Peeping butts while I worked out was a plus.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Mike-o posted:

I've fat shamed myself to get back to the loving gym. It's a start but I did an hour on the elliptical. Gotta keep up on this poo poo because I'm tired of having a gut and being out of shape. Peeping butts while I worked out was a plus.

A rowing machine is also good cardio and helps your posture to boot.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I got this sick new cardio/strength training hybrid program. It's called shoveling snow. Pretty sick little workout.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I got this sick new cardio/strength training hybrid program. It's called shoveling snow. Pretty sick little workout.

#functionalstrength

Saw someone post that one unironically

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Shoveling for speed is the Crossfit of chores

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/spiceadams95/videos/930424130326869/

I never understood the point of poo poo like this

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Yo, can any of you dudes recommend a decent intermediate 3 day lifting program? I've been doing a 4 day u/l split thing that I like a lot, but I need to switch back to a three day program because of time constraints. Any thoughts?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
How advanced are you? What are your goals?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You're better off grabbing a program out of YLLS honestly.

If you can already hit intermediate benchmarks you should go straight to TM, if not just do starting strength. It's Good

5x5 Stronglifts is also a pretty good 3 day a week program.

You can get by with squatting every day, then alternating OHP/BenchP, Bi/Tri, and Shoulders/Back accessory work. That covers most of your bases and gives you consistent squats, which is a bomb rear end exercise. Cardio on your off days.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 25, 2016

bengy81
May 8, 2010

NTT posted:

You're better off grabbing a program out of YLLS honestly.

If you can already hit intermediate benchmarks you should go straight to TM, if not just do starting strength. It's Good

5x5 Stronglifts is also a pretty good 3 day a week program.

You can get by with squatting every day, then alternating OHP/BenchP, Bi/Tri, and Shoulders/Back accessory work. That covers most of your bases and gives you consistent squats, which is a bomb rear end exercise. Cardio on your off days.

Yeah I forget about stronglifts, I will probably just do that. I did ICF starting out and that was rough when I was trying to lose weight, but I know how to tune it down now for working out at a calorie deficit.

I'm still pretty intermediate, the only lifts I have to reset on so far are my OHP and bench, but that's mostly because my right shoulder is kind of a mess, so I tend to baby it a little.

I have more or less "lifted weights" for the last 18 years, but I only figured out what the gently caress I needed to be doing a couple years ago, and frankly, I let myself get into such bad shape after getting out of the Navy that it took me almost a full year to get flexible enough to not kill myself on some of these lifts.
I dunno if there are any young really young dudes reading this thread, but by god, don't gently caress around with getting fat and gross, its a motherfucker to reverse.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My gym is pretty funny because around 5 PM there's the soccermom crowd, the gymbros in hoodies and waaay too many moto regimental PT shirts.

Is skipping rope worthwhile for a warm-up before lifting?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Frosted Flake posted:

My gym is pretty funny because around 5 PM there's the soccermom crowd, the gymbros in hoodies and waaay too many moto regimental PT shirts.

Is skipping rope worthwhile for a warm-up before lifting?

stretch and lift smaller weights for a lifting warm-up.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

stretch* and lift smaller weights for a lifting warm-up.

*Static stretching is the devil when done before resistance training, don't unless you want to decrease your maximal and sub-maximal output by up to ~30% if I'm remembering the numbers right.

For lifting I loving love 5/3/1 warm-ups, it's based on your theoretical or if it's known then your actual training maxes. Take 90% of those maxes and do 40% of that resulting number for 5, 50% for 5, and 60% for 5 then move on to whatever you're doing. Those three sets are usually enough for the entire workout, but if you're doing two or more completely opposite kinds of movements (in my instance bench and then bicep assistance work) you might want to tack on another ~2 warm-up sets for those, given that while there's going to be a decent bit of the increased blood flow to the muscle that is needed and your connective tissues will be mostly warmed up, it's still probably not going to be firing quite on all cylinders yet.

If the whole 90%/40%/50%/60% poo poo makes your eyes glaze over, there's like 15 different 5/3/1 apps you can use that will retard-proof it.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
jumping rope is good for getting the blood flowing but you should really target what you're going to work that day with some dynamic movements to loosen up the joints and limber up those ligaments. I mix in short static holds for about 10 seconds each because I honestly dont give a gently caress about lifting the maximum weight everyday and I find it helps improve my range of motion when I lift as opposed to only doing dynamic warm ups. Foam rolling is pretty good too especially if you run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Partially torn bicep. gently caress off shoveling.