Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
If the boxer really had brass knuckles on I'm surprised this fight went into the 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Even aside from the boxer match Lebell competed in a lot of American Judo tournaments. his "10th dan" isn't real but he was a serious competitor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yesterday for the first time ever I got a blue belt to tap - low-guard (Moraes?) pass to an Achilles lock

:v:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
nice

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Looks like Metamoris gave access to their social media accounts to AJ for PR purposes but he just blew them up

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAdc7_uJuXD/

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 13, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

AJ posted:

On April 2nd I will face Ben Askren in a sub-only match in the UK for @polaris_professional.

cool

lovely about the rest of it though. shady as gently caress.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Minor ventpost. Been frustrated with classes because it's "instructor chats with his buddies while the rest of the class drills in silence" half the time, and now the guy gets mad at me because I asked about scheduling my belt test. This is following me not being able to make it to the belt ceremony, him pointing to the box with belts in it and saying "that would have been your belt, we'll talk after holidays". I know asking for your belt is really frowned upon but what the gently caress am I supposed to think when you say "we'll talk after holidays" and your brown belt instructor even tells me to talk to you about it?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Honestly, I would never bring up a belt promotion but it mostly sounds like you're just unhappy at your gym.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This aj guy....so brave.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

origami posted:

Honestly, I would never bring up a belt promotion but it mostly sounds like you're just unhappy at your gym.

Yeah, true. I know not to bring it up but they straight up messaged me to schedule the belt test a few days before the ceremony. And what else is "we'll talk after holidays"?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
be more straight with your people in the gym when you talk to them. being more open about what you think and feel can clear up any misunderstandings. If they dont want to be honest with you or they refuse to answer your questions then the healthy thing to do is to leave.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

be more straight with your people in the gym when you talk to them. being more open about what you think and feel can clear up any misunderstandings. If they dont want to be honest with you or they refuse to answer your questions then the healthy thing to do is to leave.

I hate to say it but I don't think this is good advice. Show them you want the promotion by taking scalps on the mat and not by telling them.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I suppose. I don't care enough about the belt to make a fuss about it, I'm just annoyed that the guy told me to talk to him and then got pissed off when I did.

On the other hand, I'm glad I have some really good training partners in the morning. There's like 5 of us that all started at the same time and it's nice to be able to push each other to get better really hard.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Or just stop caring about belt promotions and be the 10-year blue belt you know you were truly meant to be.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

always be closing posted:

This aj guy....so brave.

watching him implode on reddit is rather amusing.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

Oh, geez, Mike Mrkulik died.

I guess that doesn't mean a lot to most people but he was a long fixture of the local scene. I didn't know him but I knew his students and I recommended a number of friends in the area to him.

Wow that sucks, Im fom the same area as him and trained with him a handful of times, nice guy

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

always be closing posted:

This aj guy....so brave.

I don't understand.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

2DCAT posted:

watching him implode on reddit is rather amusing.

Got a link?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/user/thefloridaboy

I'm not exactly sure there is 'imploding' but he does seem to get into arguments regarding keyboard 'cowards' a lot

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neeber posted:

Or just stop caring about belt promotions and be the 10-year blue belt you know you were truly meant to be.

Belt gets dirty enough it turns black anyway.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finally got to attend my first class today. Followed Sprecherscrow recommendation and went to Brazil 021.

Everyone was cool and helpful. I loved all of it and I'm addicted I think. I'll be going back for sure.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Digital Jedi posted:

Finally got to attend my first class today. Followed Sprecherscrow recommendation and went to Brazil 021.

Everyone was cool and helpful. I loved all of it and I'm addicted I think. I'll be going back for sure.

There's no turning back, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey I'm putting together an amazon order to get my own copy of Kodokan Judo. What would be a good BJJ book to grab when I already have Ribeiro's?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Renzo's.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Renzo's book is ok, but I'd just put the $25 towards your next gi. Or gas.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I like Marcelo's but feel it can basically be replaced by videos available online nowadays.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

origami posted:

I like Marcelo's but feel it can basically be replaced by videos available online nowadays.

I think that can be said for about everything now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Question to all you grapple cats.

As more than a few of you know, after a few months of BJJ I got diagnosed with a congenital brain condition that more than likely excludes me from combat sports for the rest of my life. I've thought about going back to Muay Thai or something, but it really wouldn't be smart.

On an unrelated note that some of you know about, in October I almost got killed by an organ in my body turning my blood septic and a surgery to save my life landed me in the ICU for two weeks with 32 staples in a foot long scar across my gut. Since then I have felt exhausted and in constant pain even though I should be getting back to form soon.

If these unfortunate life events happened to you and you still wanted to compete in something not team related and preferably kinda combat related - what would you look at? Or am I doomed to my mini-scar-guy forever? You all are always good for solid snark filled advice so I thought I'd ask here.

Shame there isn't BJJ for old people or something I could enroll in.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
You're thinking along the lines of aikido?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Nierbo posted:

You're thinking along the lines of aikido?

Not sure. I had a lot of people recommend loving yoga and while I'm sure it would be helpful I can't abide that being my best bet.

Maybe I should go back to a sport I was sort of good at ten years ago. (fencing)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Filipino stick fighting?
Knife and axe throwing? My ex was a state champ and she is deadly at range with a knife in her hands.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Captain Log posted:

Question to all you grapple cats.

As more than a few of you know, after a few months of BJJ I got diagnosed with a congenital brain condition that more than likely excludes me from combat sports for the rest of my life. I've thought about going back to Muay Thai or something, but it really wouldn't be smart.

On an unrelated note that some of you know about, in October I almost got killed by an organ in my body turning my blood septic and a surgery to save my life landed me in the ICU for two weeks with 32 staples in a foot long scar across my gut. Since then I have felt exhausted and in constant pain even though I should be getting back to form soon.

If these unfortunate life events happened to you and you still wanted to compete in something not team related and preferably kinda combat related - what would you look at? Or am I doomed to my mini-scar-guy forever? You all are always good for solid snark filled advice so I thought I'd ask here.

Shame there isn't BJJ for old people or something I could enroll in.

Maye something like Kendo, where you're wearing a helmet?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
How about magic: the gathering?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Glad I could be of help. Hope to see you again this week.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Nierbo posted:

Filipino stick fighting?
Knife and axe throwing? My ex was a state champ and she is deadly at range with a knife in her hands.

It sounds silly but I always thought shooting competitions would be great fun. But I'm looking for something that will get me healthy again. After the gut surgery I had it's like my batteries are permanently at 0% no matter how much I rest.

I like the kendo suggestion. I guess I should just start looking back in to fencing. In Nashville it was very much a high school/college person's sport. I need to look into clubs now.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Captain Log posted:

Not sure. I had a lot of people recommend loving yoga and while I'm sure it would be helpful I can't abide that being my best bet.

Maybe I should go back to a sport I was sort of good at ten years ago. (fencing)

You know how it works man- if you're not training realistically, you're training yourself toward overconfidence. It's no fun getting your rear end kicked because you can't fight, but it is seriously tragic getting your rear end kicked because you think you can fight and you can't. I think the yoga recommendation comes along those lines, mindfulness+stretching+exercise+longevity is something real, you can trust it. But it's not competitive, and I can see why that would be important to you. Seems like there are a few different paths you might take:

1. Separate your competitive fix from your exercise routine: You can do this any way you like, but for example when I was rehabbing my knee I played a lot of chess and found sufficiently satisfying for maintaining a competitive edge without bringing that spirit into the rehab (where taking risks and pushing too hard can seriously impact your recovery). But this doesn't have to mean yoga or just a gym routine for physical conditioning. Even super extreme stuff like parkour/freerunning could fit here?

2. Pick up a weapon art: Kali/escrima/fencing are all fine choices, and these may be less dangerous than full contact fighting. But seriously, what are you gonna do, walk around with a sword? And let's be honest, you could spend a lifetime training any of these and you'd still probably come away from a knife fight with lethal wounds. But at least you'd look cool during the encounter?

3. Go in for an unusual competitive, non-combat sport: For me, rock climbing really comes to mind here. But there's all sorts of things. Do you know that competitive lockpicking is a thing? There are ways to feel like a badass and compete while training practical, physical skills that don't destroy your body. The tough part is figuring out what speaks to you.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I wasn't going to say anything because I thought I'd be in the minority, but there are certain types of yoga that have been significantly more "brutal" than any wrestling/bjj class that I've ever been to. I do hot vinyasa flow yoga, and while i realize there are differences between yoga place within hot vinyasa flow, let alone, other types of yoga, this place kicks my rear end more than any wrestling or bjj practice has ever have. My BJJ coach and I (we both have hosed up backs), go to the same yoga school, and we routinely bring in bjj black belts to our yoga classes (black belts whom everyone has seen on live-streams), and each of them is like "fuuuuuuck". I remember back whenever I thought I'd never be able to do bjj again and I looked at fencing as something that might be fun (at least from a footwork standpoint), but drat.... there are some types of yoga out there that will break you a lot quicker than any wrestler or bjj class will ever break you. just my two cents.

Depending on your school, you can always just drill bjj crap and not actually do anything 100% as well. When i thought my back would never be 100% again (prior to yoga), i went to a new bjj school and asked if i could just drill crap and never do randori. The teacher was very accommodating to my back issues.... and after yoga miraculously fixed back issues, i'm back to doing bjj full time again. Not sure what i'm saying, but if you asked me if i'd do yoga 10 years ago, I would have laughed at you. Nowadays, after participating in the "this is good for your body" type of yoga rather than the "this is BS yoga to make your mind think you're doing something psychical rather than doing something pragmatical" variety, i'm convinced.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Hmmm that's interesting because there is a well known and reviewed yoga place above my bjj gym...been thinking about stopping in.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

A Wry Smile posted:

You know how it works man- if you're not training realistically, you're training yourself toward overconfidence. It's no fun getting your rear end kicked because you can't fight, but it is seriously tragic getting your rear end kicked because you think you can fight and you can't.
2. Pick up a weapon art: Kali/escrima/fencing are all fine choices, and these may be less dangerous than full contact fighting. But seriously, what are you gonna do, walk around with a sword? And let's be honest, you could spend a lifetime training any of these and you'd still probably come away from a knife fight with lethal wounds. But at least you'd look cool during the encounter?

I missed the part where he said he wanted to fence as a self defense on the mean streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Yoga is great and i definitely recommend it, saying that Yoga will break you more than a wrestling practice though makes me think you havent been to the right wrestling practices, or i havent been to the right Yoga classes