Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Has anyone had experience getting Fi running on a regular Nexus 5? I did some searching and apparently it's doable. Just wanted to see if I should bother going down this avenue since I'd rather not run out and buy another new phone if I can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's like any other GSM phone, it'll run on T-Mobile without a problem, but since it's not an allowed phone you're running the risk of getting kicked off, losing your number, and potentially your entire Google account.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Google Project Fi: Yes it works on other phones. No you shouldn't.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:( Aw, oh well. Maybe I can get a Nexus 6 second-hand or something. Thanks!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Got my first bill: $25, after taxes. Was paying close to a c-note on Verizon. Woot.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Casual Yogurt posted:

After using Fi and 5x for a week I'm kinda torn. The 5x is too big and Fi has trouble hanging on to a signal. I drove from LA to SF and the whole way up Fi was bouncing around from LTE to 3g to Edge and couldn't hold on to any of them, i was just in my office on good Wifi and Fi just dropped my call. I do like how cheap it is so hopefully Google makes it better.

I know this was a page ago but hahaha. You think the 5x is too big. I have the 6P and while it is an amazing phone, god drat it is big. I really really wish they offered a 5X-sized phone with the 6P's specs. I'd probably buy it even at the same price of the 6P.

That being said... anyone know of any good cases?

Was considering these:
http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Hybrid...s=nexus+6p+case
http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Relea...s=nexus+6p+case

Color is matte gold and I'd like to see it, hence the clear cases.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

an skeleton posted:

I know this was a page ago but hahaha. You think the 5x is too big. I have the 6P and while it is an amazing phone, god drat it is big. I really really wish they offered a 5X-sized phone with the 6P's specs. I'd probably buy it even at the same price of the 6P.

That being said... anyone know of any good cases?

Was considering these:
http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Hybrid...s=nexus+6p+case
http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Relea...s=nexus+6p+case

Color is matte gold and I'd like to see it, hence the clear cases.

I have the Ringke clear case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01637DS70

It's really good. Has held up well over the last couple months too.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ixian posted:

That's the one I picked up, too. My only complaint is that the small headphone jack hole means that if your plug isn't first-gen iPhone slim, you probably won't be able to use it with the case on.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

That's what I have and I love it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

maltesh posted:

That's the one I picked up, too. My only complaint is that the small headphone jack hole means that if your plug isn't first-gen iPhone slim, you probably won't be able to use it with the case on.

That seems a little weird, it works fine with my Bose n/c headphones and the jack on that is normal size, and at a right angle to boot. Maybe a manufacturing defect?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ixian posted:

That seems a little weird, it works fine with my Bose n/c headphones and the jack on that is normal size, and at a right angle to boot. Maybe a manufacturing defect?

I guess it is regular size, now that I think about it and look at the cases I have on some of my other devices. It hasn't really been an issue with the headphones I use on those rare occasions when I'm not using the bluetooth horsecollar.

The issue has come up with the line-in cables I have lying around or permanently attached to some of my devices, however. That said, adaptors or new cables are pretty inexpensive, too.

Objection withdrawn.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
After a week with my 6P, I'm still happy. Fi service has been great in the office and around town. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to actually start calling while on the road and a few people have complained of bad audio (also in the car) but overall I think it's doing great. I've been watching too much Netflix over lunch and I've gone through a couple GB so far so I'll need to knock it off or find a non-poo poo AP I can sit next to that won't block netflix traffic.

I love having chat support when I want it that I can communicate with and not have any language barriers.

Thanks, Google.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

maltesh posted:

I guess it is regular size, now that I think about it and look at the cases I have on some of my other devices. It hasn't really been an issue with the headphones I use on those rare occasions when I'm not using the bluetooth horsecollar.

The issue has come up with the line-in cables I have lying around or permanently attached to some of my devices, however. That said, adaptors or new cables are pretty inexpensive, too.

Objection withdrawn.

Yeah, some (particularly older) line in cables and such have bigger plastic grommets around them. A lot of cases have problems with them though. The danger in making the port bigger, of course, is that it weakens the case around it. There's only so much room to play with with phones (and cases) getting as thin as they are.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well picked up a 5x and have had it for about and week and have had no problems, like the phone service is good. No issues yet.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Today I was at a staff development meeting at an elementary school. Of the 10 people there no one had phone service EXCEPT FOR ME. When they asked who my service was I told them Google. I may have converted most of them right there. I showed them how it worked, how I was billed, and I showed them that it currently said my hold time for customer service was 1 minute via phone.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I got angry at my LG G3's wifi and data problems and decided to use my bonus to get a 6P because I've always wanted a giant phone and miss the pure Android. So I found this as well. How long do the invites typically take? It doesn't bother me if it takes a while, just wondering. I'm on T-Mobile prepaid with my G3 right now so I'll be able to use that until I hear back from these guys. The one thing that might get me in trouble is that I'm so used to not having my music streaming count against me with T-Mobile and I'm in the car 10 hours a day (I'm a courier) and I listen constantly. Still though, I'm paying 95 a month currently to make up for the wifi being broken and using 4G all the time so I'm hopeful this will turn out to be a good thing.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I think if you buy it through project fi you get automatically invited

edit: typo

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2016

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

withoutclass posted:

I think I'd you buy it through project fi you get automatically invited

Talked to support (which is incredibly fast btw) and you can either wait for the invite in order to get the phone with zero down/percent financing or you can buy it from the store and wait for the invite to get a SIM kit. So either way, I'm waiting for the email.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chief Savage Man posted:

Talked to support (which is incredibly fast btw) and you can either wait for the invite in order to get the phone with zero down/percent financing or you can buy it from the store and wait for the invite to get a SIM kit. So either way, I'm waiting for the email.

My invite took a day or two, this was in December.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Today I was at a staff development meeting at an elementary school. Of the 10 people there no one had phone service EXCEPT FOR ME. When they asked who my service was I told them Google. I may have converted most of them right there. I showed them how it worked, how I was billed, and I showed them that it currently said my hold time for customer service was 1 minute via phone.

I've had pretty much the same experience at a few different functions. Thanks Google!

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Nexus 5x

Yes...That is 11 hours with my screen on.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

amenenema posted:

I've had pretty much the same experience at a few different functions. Thanks Google!

Just got my Fi bill and it was $23 (including credits). Granted, I spend a lot of time on WiFi but that is kind of the point - I only pay for what I use. On AT&T I paid a minimum of $70 no matter what. Fi rules.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Ixian posted:

Just got my Fi bill and it was $23 (including credits). Granted, I spend a lot of time on WiFi but that is kind of the point - I only pay for what I use. On AT&T I paid a minimum of $70 no matter what. Fi rules.

Yup similar bill for me, am loving it gently caress Att.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
My Data Usage was only $1.50 this month but I still had to pay $6.25 in taxes and regulatory fees. New York :argh:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Got my invite today which turns out to be one business day considering I requested it on Friday. The sign up and phone ordering process is very easy and once I have some time with my new Nexus 6P and this service, I think I will talk my dad into dumping his old Sprint family plan that costs 70 bucks a person in favor of buying a basic Nexus 5X and using Fi. I checked his monthly data usage and it was 100MB last month, while he's paying for unlimited. Looking forward to getting the phone.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Chief Savage Man posted:

Got my invite today which turns out to be one business day considering I requested it on Friday. The sign up and phone ordering process is very easy and once I have some time with my new Nexus 6P and this service, I think I will talk my dad into dumping his old Sprint family plan that costs 70 bucks a person in favor of buying a basic Nexus 5X and using Fi. I checked his monthly data usage and it was 100MB last month, while he's paying for unlimited. Looking forward to getting the phone.

I'm not up on sprint, but check and see if unlimited plans are still offered. There was a big deal when att stopped offering them and people would resell the grandfathered plans for $200+

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I've been using Project Fi since early December and been satisfied so far. I got a Nexus 6P first and used it on Sprint for several weeks before making the switch.

Bummer: I had to wait a few weeks for Sprint to generate my ETF bill, which let me pay it off, so I could actually connect to the Sprint network. I paid that off and then Fi support wanted me to take out my SIM card, since I still wasn't connecting. Then I discovered my SIM tray was stuck and messed up. I RMA'ed my phone through the Google store, ordered a new one from Fi (oooh, gold!) and that one worked on Sprint + T-Mobile just fine.

Cool: Working with google/Fi support to go through that return process was really easy and comparatively pleasant. I'm still waiting for my refund, but they assure me it's coming through any day now.

Cool: Even though I wasn't able to connect to Sprint's network, T-Mobile was good enough in the Boston area that I never minded. I did go offline when visiting Maine for a brief period.

Bummer: I'm in the "I love just streaming music" camp as well. My first month, I used 2.8gb of data (I had unlimited data on Sprint, so it was hard to get used to). I've tried to download some music for offline playback, but sometimes I just want to play random things. This is still cheaper than the $70/month I was spending on Sprint, but I feel myself compulsively watching the data I'm using instead of just updating my apps or doing whatever I want when connected to Sprint's LTE.

Pretty cool: I just did a cross-country move to Oregon and Fi handled itself pretty well, especially along the highways. Western Iowa, most of Nebraska, much of Wyoming, and eastern Idaho were pretty rough going, but it worked pretty well otherwise. I was able to connect just about everywhere my wife's Sprint phone was and a little bit more in some places on random sub-par T-Mobile connections. I was surprised how well it worked in eastern Oregon and some other rural places.

Kinda Weird: I haven't had Comcast in years until this week and hadn't realized how ubiquitous xfinity wifi access points are in some places and apparently I can connect to them for free (?). I've found my phone connecting to it all over town, which will probably drive down my data usage a little.

Summary: Project Fi is pretty cool and doesn't suck as bad as other phone companies. Comcast probably still sucks, but free wifi is kinda neat.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I treat my data usage like a challenge now to see how low I can go. This turns it into game instead of a bummer. Always on the lookout for open WiFi if I go out. Plus between work and home I'm covered by WiFi the majority of the day.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Just out of curiosity, was it required for the fast charging to have that little mini usb-c connector on the plug end of the charger or did they just decide to make a cable that cant be used in anyones car or hooked up to a computer or any other use case that a regular usb plug would have accommodated?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Got my first bill, between the wife and I we saved over $100 off our monthly t-mobile bill. The 6P is fantastic.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

greasyhands posted:

Just out of curiosity, was it required for the fast charging to have that little mini usb-c connector on the plug end of the charger or did they just decide to make a cable that cant be used in anyones car or hooked up to a computer or any other use case that a regular usb plug would have accommodated?

Not sure what you mean? But it can fast charge off any charger that has the proper specs. Afaik as long as it can output 3A it will fast charge.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Rakeris posted:

Not sure what you mean? But it can fast charge off any charger that has the proper specs. Afaik as long as it can output 3A it will fast charge.

He's asking if fast charge isn't possible using micro USB since they made a cord you can only use with the 6P.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm looking forward to Type-C replacing everything eventually (hopefully). That whole Lightning-style "doesn't matter if it's upside down or not" is way overdue.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Got my Nexus 6p today and I love pretty much everything about it so far. Project Fi setup is so easy it's ridiculous (my old t-mobile number was ready to use within twenty minutes of me starting the phone) and looking at my bill is easy compared to the awful opaque T-mobile website. It seems like I'll be paying about the same as I was but that also includes a 27 dollar payment for the phone, so it's pretty great. Hopefully, it keeps impressing me.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Chief Savage Man posted:

Got my Nexus 6p today and I love pretty much everything about it so far. Project Fi setup is so easy it's ridiculous (my old t-mobile number was ready to use within twenty minutes of me starting the phone) and looking at my bill is easy compared to the awful opaque T-mobile website. It seems like I'll be paying about the same as I was but that also includes a 27 dollar payment for the phone, so it's pretty great. Hopefully, it keeps impressing me.

Having used many since 2010, good and bad, the 6p for me is the best Android phone yet made. Pretty much the best phone I have ever owned. There are details that can be nitpicked, most along the lines of "they should have included feature <x> etc." (mostly from Moto fans) and the size can be hard for people to wrap their heads around if they are used to chocolate bar phones but seriously, all that is just noise. Phone is the poo poo. Fi as well.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
The one thing I thought I'd miss was the power button being on the back but the fingerprint sensor does that even better. What's the verdict on the 5X anyway? I'm thinking of something for my dad who is getting ready to part with his SGS3 and Fi will probably be a good fit for him.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

What storage capacity did everyone go for on the 6p? 64 gb seems fine to me; it's more than enough for my iPad. With Google Photos automatically clearing local storage, is there any reason to go to 128? I don't need to watch movies from my phone, but I would download a lot of Google Play playlists and podcasts to save on the data plan.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I got 128 because I have an absolute boatload of Spotify playlists I've grown accustomed to streaming for 'free' on T-mobile. 64 probably would have been enough but the hundred over the two years seemed worth it to also load up on bigger games and to keep some movies saved for flights.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

The Aphasian posted:

What storage capacity did everyone go for on the 6p? 64 gb seems fine to me; it's more than enough for my iPad. With Google Photos automatically clearing local storage, is there any reason to go to 128? I don't need to watch movies from my phone, but I would download a lot of Google Play playlists and podcasts to save on the data plan.

64gb. I have a ton of music, photos, and load up movies for flights no problem. I don't really play any bigger games though, nor do I shoot much video. Those two thing might have changed my decision, but probably not. With Google Photos auto backup and my manual photo backup I don't need every photo I've ever taken of my dog with me at all times. And I tend to pin my music to my phone rather than stream most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

The Aphasian posted:

64GB here too.. how the hell does someone use 128GB on their phone?