Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Fargo 2 script writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My presidential history is rusty; what's so bad about Andrew Jackson?

Literally committed genocide. Also as a distant second killed the Bank of North America thus kicking of all of the problems caused by America's various absurdly powerful private banks. Third cemented the various Democratic power structures that would eventually lead to the Civil War.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TampaTango posted:

They make the trains run on time. People justify past cooperation with regimes by only remembering how well things worked, not how many people disappeared. What chills me the most were the killing of defectives by the Nazis. Anyone could be called genetically defective.

This is usually pretty exaggerated by propaganda though. Mussolini, who that phrase is associated with, definitely didn't keep the trains running on time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Terrible Opinions posted:

Literally committed genocide. Also as a distant second killed the Bank of North America thus kicking of all of the problems caused by America's various absurdly powerful private banks. Third cemented the various Democratic power structures that would eventually lead to the Civil War.

Yeah, Andrew Jackson is an affably entertaining guy in the tradition of "baddasses from history," but he's also probably the closest thing America has to a Hitler.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Having Jackson on the twenty is such a beautiful gently caress you to the bastard, intentional or not. Dude despised banks and fiat currency.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jan 17, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

http://www.thomas-morris.uk/dear-oh-dear/

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!

:stonk: ... :suicide:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Sounds much cooler than 'hernia'.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

:stare:

http://www.thomas-morris.uk/beetle-in-bladder/

quote:

A robust young man of 23, who had never been ill except just previously of fever, was attacked suddenly by symptoms of the most acute inflammation of the urinary bladder, with intense desire to make water, pains in the perineum, and discharge of mucous flocculent and bloody urine...After suffering intensely for five days, he found himself unable to pass his water, and this evidently from some mechanical obstruction in the urethra. To relieve this, the author was sent for; but before a catheter could be introduced, he discharged a body, of the size of a pea, covered by purulent matter; it was followed by the escape of a considerable quantity of urine, mixed with pus, and immediate relief of all his symptoms. On closely examining the discharged body, it was found to contain a little beetle (Ptinus fur), which died directly on its exposure to the atmosphere.

The patient recovered in three days. The author quotes several cases of a similar kind, in which worms, larvae, insects, and one from Schrader, where living slugs were discharged from the bladder…

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...bccB_UQ_AUIBygB

Jesus

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://archive.org/stream/proceedings2018781880bost/proceedings2018781880bost_djvu.txt

quote:

The article "corpora aliena in corpore humano" in Rust's Surgical Archives, written by the celebrated Dr. Dieffenbach, gives a large number of the most incredible and nevertheless carefully observed cases.

Concerning the urinary organs, we find in a table drawn up by Pro-
fessor Civiale of Paris (Gazette des Hopitaux, 1838), a collection of
one hundred and sixty-six cases of foreign bodies in the bladder, in
which the following articles were removed from it ; twenty-five
needles and pins, one bodkin, two ear pickers, six fragments of
bones, five teeth, eighteen sounds or bougies flexible and rigid, twelve
pieces of wood, six needle cases, one cork, thirteen plant stems, ears
of wheat and straws, nine pieces of lint, six pipe-stems, three glass
tubes, various kinds of fruits, feathers and hair. Since that time up
to 1861, he has extracted nineteen sounds or bougies, a leather strap,
two pen-holders, an artist's brush handle, two pieces of bone, a piece
of tendon, a lamp wick, a barometer tube, and a medal.

Lovely.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, Andrew Jackson is an affably entertaining guy in the tradition of "baddasses from history," but he's also probably the closest thing America has to a Hitler.

I dunno, I bet Trump gives him a run for his money if he wins the elections.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

men just loving LOVE cramming things in their peeholes

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

vaguely posted:

men just loving LOVE cramming things in their peeholes

Hey thanks, finally a legitimate use for this: #NotAllMen

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reeeeeeeally want to know what that medal was for.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Something Awful's own unnerving story has been featured in GQ: http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

quote:

In the early hours of 21 September 2012, Kevin Dawes arrived at a hotel on the outskirts of the Turkish border city of Antakya on a mission to get into Syria. Lugging a helmet, a suitcase full of medical supplies and a bulletproof vest, the wiry, self-taught Korean-American had already attracted attention at the airports he passed through. Likely, he thought, he was already being tailed; after two days of travelling from his home in San Diego he was too tired to care. "Fell asleep, woke up," he tapped to a friend online later that day. "Feels like Ewoks beat me up." At least there was Wi-Fi. Over the next two weeks Dawes would fire off thousands of direct messages via Twitter from his hotel room to the only two people still talking to him, neither of whom he'd ever met.

He'd met one of those "friends" on somethingawful.com, a comedy website whose regulars like to call themselves goons and which was a good part of the reason he was here. Dawes preferred to hang out on its more ghoulish, conspiracy-mongering forums; one of his favourites, dedicated to military matters, was called "goons in platoons". On the site, Dawes called himself "Caro"; after he got banned for trolling, he came back as "Caro Ascendant". The previous year, when he'd announced his intention to travel to revolutionary Libya to be a photojournalist and deliver medicine, the response among his enemies there had been "LOL". But Dawes had gone anyway and come home with YouTube footage to tell the tale. Now they were sniggering about his Syria plans. He was going to do the same again.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

We're still relevant woo
:toot:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zero One posted:

Something Awful's own unnerving story has been featured in GQ: http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

that article is very optimistic about him still being alive

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah that bit about the March 2015 negotiations make it sound hopeful but that was almost a year ago.

And before that the one guy in GBS who had contact seemed to be pretty sure Caro was dead in a torture prison.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zero One posted:

Yeah that bit about the March 2015 negotiations make it sound hopeful but that was almost a year ago.

And before that the one guy in GBS who had contact seemed to be pretty sure Caro was dead in a torture prison.

That's Brown Moses/Eliot Higgins, he's in the article.

Unless there was another guy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Swedish man who kept woman in bunker 'never meant to hurt anyone': lawyer

quote:

According to indictment, he planned to keep her there for years, kidnap other people

A Swedish doctor has been charged with rape and kidnapping after he confessed to drugging a woman with sedative-laced strawberries and locking her up in a soundproof bunker where he had intended to keep her for years, prosecutors said Monday.

The lawyer has a weird definition of what constitutes "hurting" someone

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

a kitten posted:

That's Brown Moses/Eliot Higgins, he's in the article.

Unless there was another guy.

No that's him. I guess his old source that he originally didn't name was the mom of that other prisoner.

Brown Moses's recent posts seem to indicate he doesn't think Caro is alive still but who knows?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzgzvVxUV4

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

No that's him. I guess his old source that he originally didn't name was the mom of that other prisoner.

Brown Moses's recent posts seem to indicate he doesn't think Caro is alive still but who knows?

Uh weren't there reports of someone seeing a badly tortured American-English speaking prisoner matching his description begging for death in one of Syria's most notorious prisons? I can't remember if that was Brown Moses who said that or not but I remember it seeming pretty legit and conclusive at the time

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they covered it in the story.

quote:

I phoned Fatima Khan and asked if her son mentioned any Americans he'd come across in prison. "I know what you want," she said without any hesitation. "And yes: Kevin Dawes."

In March 2014, I travelled to her home in the London suburbs to find out more. It was a difficult meeting. Fatima was still raw with grief and angry with journalists, as well as the British government, elements of which she felt must have colluded in the death of her son. As soon as I mentioned Dawes, she asked me to turn my tape off. The communal cells Abbas Khan was being held in at the time measured about six metres by six and held between 30 and 40 people. Her son, according to Fatima, told her that he'd heard Dawes' voice from a few cells away.

Since there was no one else who spoke English, they'd begun a conversation. Dawes was in a bad state; he seemed like he wanted to die and may have said as much. Before long the guards came in and beat them both for talking, after which their communication came to an end. "But they made a pact," according to Fatima, "that whichever one got out first would let people know where they were."

And one detail she remembered very well: Kevin was saying, and wanted it to be known, that he was a journalist.

Really don't know how they can be at all optimistic after that, especially since that was two years ago and that woman's son was killed even after they said they'd release him

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

a kitten posted:

We're still relevant woo
:toot:

quote:

The abuse he endured from his fellow goons on Something Awful, insists Hendricks, was a "major motivation" for Dawes wanting to go to Syria - he wanted to prove everyone wrong.

Before someone makes fun of my bad posting again, they should remember what it did to Kevin Dawes. :unsmigghh:

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
the helldump boys strikes again

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

It's been posted in this thread before, but not recently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

Over the course of three year in the 80's, a group of robbers murder 28 people in Belgium while stealing relatively low amounts of cash from supermarkets. They've never been identified.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Travis343 posted:

Reeeeeeeally want to know what that medal was for.

If you can get a medal up your dick, you deserve a medal.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Have we posted fatal familial insomnia yet?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160118-the-tragic-fate-of-the-people-who-stop-sleeping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://fusion.net/story/214995/find-my-phone-apps-lead-to-wrong-home/

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My guess is they just steal tons of phones. That dude looks like a serial phone thief if I've ever seen one

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Aesop Poprock posted:

My guess is they just steal tons of phones. That dude looks like a serial phone thief if I've ever seen one

I mean, Occam's razor. What's more likely, that they're phone theives trying to cover their tracks, or that all different brands/carriers of phone just happen to erroneously direct to one place?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Patattack posted:

I mean, Occam's razor. What's more likely, that they're phone theives trying to cover their tracks, or that all different brands/carriers of phone just happen to erroneously direct to one place?

Or their next door neighbor

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Patattack posted:

Most phone makers apparently rely on the one company to provide data for the location services. If their database is wrong it will effect everyone.
In another thread where this popped up I guessed it is the previous occupants wireless AP is what the phone is basing the location on and the location services haven't updated the location of that device yet.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Khazar-khum posted:

Helter Skelter is a classic, must-read account of the Manson Family murders, as told by DA Vince Bugliosi.

I bought this book after constant recommendations in this thread, and I thought it was a really good read up until he switches from describing the case to the court proceedings. He's a great writer, he knows how to set a scene without sensationalizing too much of the crime, but there was some line that made me unable to continue reading; something about how apparently Atkins (or whoever it was that tried to assassinate...I want to say Gerald Ford?) was stalking him with some other Family members. So Bugliosi apparently turns around, goes up to her face and tells her to gently caress off in a manner similar to something you'd see in the shitthatdidn'thappen.txt thread; I know it's a petty reason to disregard a perfectly good novel, but those three pages came off as unnecessary and only served to make the author look more impressive. Vince did a great job telling Manson's life story, and talking about the crime sprees while capturing the national panic that spread through those years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, Vince Bugliosi was a prosecuting attorney with a storied record, probably the most famous since Clarence Darrow or whatever. You can forgive the guy thinking he was Muhammad Ali.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHF7EWCJqQI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

FireWorksWell posted:

I bought this book after constant recommendations in this thread, and I thought it was a really good read up until he switches from describing the case to the court proceedings. He's a great writer, he knows how to set a scene without sensationalizing too much of the crime, but there was some line that made me unable to continue reading; something about how apparently Atkins (or whoever it was that tried to assassinate...I want to say Gerald Ford?) was stalking him with some other Family members. So Bugliosi apparently turns around, goes up to her face and tells her to gently caress off in a manner similar to something you'd see in the shitthatdidn'thappen.txt thread; I know it's a petty reason to disregard a perfectly good novel, but those three pages came off as unnecessary and only served to make the author look more impressive. Vince did a great job telling Manson's life story, and talking about the crime sprees while capturing the national panic that spread through those years.

Squeaky Fromme?

His book about the OJ Simpson trial was pretty good too. I've also heard good things about his massive book about the JFK assassination.