Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Microcline posted:

I wouldn't call them "quality works of animation" because a monologue over a filtered photograph isn't "quality" doesn't take "work" and doesn't involve "animation"

strongly strongly disagree with all of the above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

I thought the one complaining about the "Golden Age" of anime was going to be the funniest one, and then I read the last one...

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

a kitten posted:

I love those old Usenet posts.

Hell, I sometimes like reading through old adtrw threads in the archives for things I didn't keep up with while airing.

:shobon::hf::shobon:

There's a lot less "I just finished watching Eva and wtf just happened?" threads than I remember being there, but I think that's mostly because goons had largely moved on to "I just finished watching FLCL and wtf just happened?".
Also, because due to a million of the former, most eva threads were bannable. :v:
May be able to find some in ye olde gibbis, but that's way too :effo: for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it was forbidden to ever post a thread about Eva and FLCL for a long time

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Raxivace posted:

This is how I feel as well, since EoE is concurrent with EoTV.

Or slightly before, since it describes the things that transpire in EoE, albeit indirectly. Or maybe that's my feeling because I watched EoE before these episodes, on recommendation, so... I 'unno.

But, yeah! We've made it! Here is the end of Evangelion, in all of its controversy. I really don't think there's anything to the rumor that Anno ran out of money/time for these episode; this was the way that it was always meant to end. People back then (and today) either like to dismiss the end of this series as an elaborate troll on the part of Anno (what?) or as some esoteric, "2deep5me" bullshit that normal people can't possibly get (iHuh?). And you won't see me arguing with either of those stances: if that what you believe, then yeah, he was trolling you/it was too deep for you. These arguments are usually accompanied by a list of the "giant robot" cliches the series already used (so naturally it must end this way, and that it didn't is a BETRAYAL by Anno-sensei! :goonsay:), and a long list of all of the references to religion/philosophy that Anno introduced (Seele=soul, Hedgehog's Dilemma, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Angels names, the Sephirot [i.e. the Tree of Life, which shows up in both the opening and Gendo's office], etc), but to get bogged down in these, in isolating every little thing he might have put in there and asked what it means, is to miss the point, as others have said. If you want to understand Evangelion, don't read the Bible, watch The Prisoner or Godard, or read Kafka or Thomas Hardy. Or this:

Philip Larkin posted:

They gently caress you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were hosed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Throughout the series, the reinforced theme we come back to is the cyclical nature of isolation, pain, and the need to be recognized/understood as both the cause of and solution to it. Through misunderstanding/lack of communication, we hurt the people we love or love us and when hurt enough, we close ourselves off. But isolation brings pain too, as without without the input/communication of others, we fall into destructive thought patterns which lead us to greater sadness and depression. We see the need for comfort and community in each others lives, but without knowing what's wrong or how to help, we just make everything worse... but without asking or communicating effectively, how can we ever find out what's wrong? It's a great cynical paradox of not wanting to hurt/be hurt and hurting/getting hurt anyway; Schopenhauer and later Freud chose a hedgehog to describe this dilemma because avoiding pain as a social animal like a human is not only difficult, it's impossible. You can't win, so why bother with the whole mess; to use Shinji's own phraseology, what's wrong from running away from reality if it sucks?

Well, longevity, for one thing; biology shows that animals who team up, become packs and herds, tend to live longer, significantly so, that those animals that don't. It's good to have somebody watching your back, because they can do things you might not be able to by yourself. And above all, social interplay with others is crucial to finding out who we are as people, by showing us how different, or not so different we are from everyone else. At the end of the day, people need people; even people who don't need people need people to remind themselves why they don't need people, and everyone in this series desperately need people... and don't know how to get them. Shinji begs for connection from the word go but doesn't commit to any relationship because of his scars; he lost his mother and (arguably) his father, and feels that if he suffers another such loss that it will destroy him, and not only does he suffer that loss but the poor boy has to crush it in his own hands. Misato lost her dad, who was absentee her whole life until he saves her from Second Impact, a wedge that drives into her so deep she deals with the world in a shallow, superficial way, unable to connect with anyone on an intrinsic level... which renders her unable to commit to a relationship with Kaji until it's too late and costs her meaningful relationships with any of the pilots (ostensibly her job) when she can't commit to being their commander or their guardian. Asuka's mother lost her mind, estranged herself from Asuka, and then took her life, and this abandonment caused Asuka to eschew relationships altogether, but that subconscious need of recognition and affection from someone who never gave it (which she projects onto pretty much all of her peers) leads to jealousy, self doubt and eventually suicidal depression. Rei, being a clone and seeing herself as disposable, has (or believes she has) no sense of self to begin with and doesn't want one as long as she can serve the one who gives her purpose and worth, but through her interaction with other pilots and other not-Gendo people comes to question who she really is and why she does what she does. All of these lost souls need companionship and alleviation from their pain, but have no idea how to surmount the barriers that separate them from that end, and these final episodes have a novel solution: take the barriers away. That's what instrumentality is in the end: a removal of all barriers so that solitude is a thing of the past, and so we have this: Shinji confronting the "tormentors" in his head, coming to realize that all of the people who hurt him or that he counted on for help had their own issues, desires, and crosses to bear, question what to do and how to live, and coming to the epiphany at the end: that to treat others like you want to be treated, you have to treat yourself with love ("take care of yourself"). Only when we appreciate ourselves can we appreciate others, a lesson pretty much as old as human thought itself, but that needs to be reaffirmed every day.

And holy crap, that's a lot of words about a cartoon series from Japan :stare:. Yeah, I've done some thinking about this, because it's like this show was speaking to my 15 year old, introverted self, so if you actually read all that, thank you. Hope to see peoples reaction on the end!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, it was forbidden to ever post a thread about Eva and FLCL for a long time

These days it's real weird to think about the latter ever being banned. Always interesting how fan mentality changes over the years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It mainly due to the amounts of 'Woah I just saw this crazy thing has anyone else seen it?' style threads cropping up like once a day rather than dislike or anything.
This was when ADTRW had more than 10 posters obvs

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Hey now, let's not get hyperbolic here. I remember it being once a week at most. :colbert:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

in a 'favorite anime' thread from 2004, even the people who like eva seem to be afraid of admitting it. every post has some sort of qualifier or ironic detachment.

they're all like:
'Say what you will, '
'Mostly for nostalgia; '
'While the show most certainly has plenty of flaws,'
'EVA IS SO DEEP, DEEP LIKE MY SOUL!'
'Incredibly cheap philosophy, '
'Ok. Shutup. I can't stand the sight of the show (except for doujin) anymore, '
'Say what you will of it, '
'I admit that this series has some flaws,'
'Despite being pretty much universally hated here and my own understanding of its many weaknesses'
'SO DEEPness aside, excellent animation and full of memorable moments.'
'Although I see the number of serious flaws within the series now, '
'There is much better out there, '
'A good (?) dramatic show with a lot of issues. I prefer to ignore the guys who say that "Eva is sooo deep."'
'If for nostalgia alone, it's Eva.'
' I guess that it may well have the depth of a paddling pool'
'This is a matter of a mixture of love for the show because of its execution, and for nostalgia.'
'Nostalgia.'

and these are the fans, lol

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah it was seemingly in vogue to be a self-hating Eva fan for quite a long time, and not just here either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still better than people who said that Rahxephon was Eva 'done right'.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this goon totally gets it:

"I understood the TV ending but it might have been better if I hadn't. It sent me into a weeklong depression. This was 5 years ago, and I still haven't got around to watching EoE because I don't want the same thing to happen again."

anno would be proud of that

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Yeah it was seemingly in vogue to be a self-hating Eva fan for quite a long time, and not just here either.

Hell,

:smith:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

https://my.mixtape.moe/lkshpc.webm

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Do webms not loop by default?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

Do webms not loop by default?

They don't seem to

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

That sucks, I put a fade on the beginning to make it loop cleanly...

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

this goon totally gets it:

"I understood the TV ending but it might have been better if I hadn't. It sent me into a weeklong depression. This was 5 years ago, and I still haven't got around to watching EoE because I don't want the same thing to happen again."

anno would be proud of that

right, i think that even if you don't understand "what happens" in the tv ending - which is understandable - it's not hiding information for dramatic value, it's all there. and i think that if it makes you think about it (and about yourself) and feel something then you've understood it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Sakurazuka posted:

Still better than people who said that Rahxephon was Eva 'done right'.

Back in college someone said that to me when I mentioned that I was going to rewatch Eva, but I never got around to doing either until just now.

Should I watch Rahxephon as well, after we get past EoE?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Rahxephon, probably more than a lot of people, but its similarity to Eva is almost entirely superficial, it has robots and a story that is mostly shrouded in mystery but isn't trying to do remotely the same things. In fact it's closer in tone to other Chiaki J Konaka shows like SE Lain and Devilman Lady.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

I think that's what's really cool about the tv series ending

It just straight up tells the viewer: none of that matters, here's what the show is really going for. Here's what it's really about.

This messed with me the first time but on rewatch and in conjunction with EoE I actually prefer how the show ended up.

Its always funny to hear the fan reactions to the shows ending, especially those die hard otocus who didnt get the cliche happy shonen ending.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RahXephon has a great OST, a couple nice monster and mecha designs, and not much else. It's this weird void where like almost nothing interesting happens for most of its 26 episodes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I love that sequence, it reminds me of the weird animation shorts I'd watch on Channel 4 as a kid because my parents thought all cartoons = for children.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

What's that? Is it the white background cut? Because if so that owns!

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I love that sequence, it reminds me of the weird animation shorts I'd watch on Channel 4 as a kid because my parents thought all cartoons = for children.

It's really cool and the fluidity of transitions between the shapes is amazing, the animator who did it is really creative.

I remember those shorts too. RIP, British animation industry.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Jostiband posted:

What's that? Is it the white background cut? Because if so that owns!

idk what you're asking

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

idk what you're asking

webms don't work for him, he's asking what scene it is

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Droyer posted:

webms don't work for him, he's asking what scene it is

Yeah, this.

And I love everything about that thing. When I grow up I'm going to marry whoever made that.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah this is so great, thanks for grabbing it I downloaded it just to watch it loop

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Webms don't loop or show for everyone... looks like gifs are the future

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I downloaded that webm converter thing so I could get that cut but then I fell asleep because it was way too late and I ended up not doing it. :shobon:

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

.jpg posted:

Webms don't loop or show for everyone... looks like gifs are the future

Plus you can have transparency in .gifs.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Plus you can have transparency in .gifs.

What the.... webm is some real fail

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I love this cutting edge 1980's technology

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Webms are just inferior mp4s.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Because of real life obligations kicking in unfortunately I won't be able to watch it live, but I did have time to watch EoE earlier to make up for it.

I hope everyone enjoys the movie tonight, cheers :cheerdoge:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

To be honest I watched it (and 1.0) yesterday cause I had an Eva liking friend over and it seemed like a good idea. It was, EoE owns.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Experiment: if you can see rei dancing then you can view APNG

gif edition:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

Experiment: if you can see rei dancing then you can view APNG

gif edition:

only the gif is moving for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU