Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

.jpg posted:

Experiment: if you can see rei dancing then you can view APNG

gif edition:

I think only Firefox supports apng natively. You need to download an extension for Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I think only Firefox supports apng natively. You need to download an extension for Chrome.

Okay that kind of sucks. I'll stick to gifs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can see em both in the awful app on iPad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Geez, over a minute of logos.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Well, 25 and 26 left me feeling pretty uplifted, time to fix that with the movie.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Is "I am so hosed up" the official translation?

EDIT: Finally, the truth behind SEELE's beginnings:

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 25, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kytrarewn posted:

The dub used it fwiw.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Ritsuko installed Norton

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Good lord, that shot with the flamethrower... :stonk:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I know you hate me for it Anno, but scenes like these are much more what I like about this series.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah Anno, if you wanted me hate what happens in EoE you probably shouldn't have animated it so well tbh.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm having technical difficulties so i probably won't be able to watch this until tomorrow at the earliest. Dang it.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Though I will say the first time I saw it I was generally shocked and I felt a little unwell, Asuka's final line summed up my initial feelings at the end too.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm starting to think that Rei might be a bit of a masochist.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

OMG

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Out of everyone in this series, I always felt the most sorry for Asuka.

Kytrarewn posted:

Ha!

In case you're unaware, they're taking about this and this.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Command Ant posted:

Out of everyone in this series, I always felt the most sorry for Asuka.

Same.

I think she gets it harder then anyone else. :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I never really appreciated all the cat items before this rewatch.
I vaguely remembered the salt and pepper shakers and that's it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dexie posted:

Same.

I think she gets it harder then anyone else. :(

Yeah. Although i feel pretty terrible for all the kids. ...and basically everyone really. :smith:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

a kitten posted:

Yeah. Although i feel pretty terrible for all the kids. ...and basically everyone really. :smith:

For some reason, I feel absolutely no sympathy or empathy towards Ritsuko.

I myself can't explain why.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kytrarewn posted:

Does she deserve any?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kytrarewn posted:

"Oh mother... you would choose him over me?"
"Ritsuko Akagi... The truth is..."
(selence)
"...Liar."
Bang.

15 years, and this is still among my strongest memories from the whole series. They fell in love with the same man, mother and daughter, and Gendo used them both for their genius, and they both knew he did not love them... and in the end, her mom still chose Gendo over her. Poor cat lady.

And Gendo himself... he was a man who always looked like he had a plan and knew more than he should, and everyone wondered what ultimate plan he served. But there was no plan, no ultimate design; he was just a grieving husband who wanted to see his wife again. A love above country, above the world, above even his son... he didn't even care if she hated him, he just wanted to be connected to her. It's crazy, mad, and sick... but also a touch romantic, no?

So yeah, I'm with the kitten; pretty much everybody is a lost lonely soul, and even if there were a monster at the heart of it all, even they would not deserve the great horror of instrumentality. The ineffable strangeness of the Kaoru/Rei creature, the cross the blood, the other Evas transforming, all whilst that song plays (doo doot doo doo doo, doo doo... man, I'd forgotten just how good a track Kom, Susser Tod is)...how strange and memorable an apocalypse, and how well animated. And what are we to make of Shinji and The Girl on the shore, hating each other? Is it the new Adam and Eve, or a metaphor for where Shinji finds himself in his life now? And how does this gel with the epiphany reached at the end of EoTV? Or is it supposed to?

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 25, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
well, real life stuff means I had to watch 24-26 and the movie all in a row to keep up

that was certainly a thing, hadn't seen any of this stuff in ages. 24 is fantastic, 25 and 26 not so much, Eoe very much

something that stood out to me was this one shot of asuka fighting the soldiers, I dunno if they were intentionally going for some sort of parallel but it's pretty easy to imagine.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

That rocket has a butt.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

bowmore posted:

Does she deserve any?

She likes cats.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Cats and Gendo. Always the sociopaths... :smith:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

resurgam40 posted:

"Oh mother... you would choose him over me?"
"Ritsuko Akagi... The truth is..."
(selence)
"...Liar."
Bang.

15 years, and this is still among my strongest memories from the whole series. They fell in love with the same man, mother and daughter, and Gendo used them both for their genius, and they both knew he did not love them... and in the end, her mom still chose Gendo over her. Poor cat lady.

That's the thing, though... she got ventilated, cleanly, at the cusp of the Rapture, or however you want to describe it. Now, there's a certain sadness to be had in the thought that she was rejected by the man she loved from joining the collective consciousness, because he only wanted Yui, but even so, the whole time she was the sole sane person who knew exactly what was going on (The comments during Rei and Shinji's interchangeability test, knowledge of the dummy plugs, MAGI, etc) and was utterly callous about the pain it caused all the parties involved.

Everyone else, with the possible exception of Fuyutsuki, clearly had real issues beyond their conscious control. Ritsuko's moral compass just pointed due south.

On a related note, during the raid on the compound in EoE, the male command-center person made a comment about how their budget for defense had been slashed, and that rather forces me to ask... where the gently caress do you go when the apocalyptic death-cult fires you? When you've heard people talking openly about the quantum mechanics and thermodynamics of souls, and getting results in defending the world from the otherworldly terrors that had decimated the population while discussing such obscure matters?

How did the air traffic controller know so much about what it means for the soul when the AT field changes colors, and all the rest of this nonsense, anyway?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

she was the sole sane person

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Loved watching the movie again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watching 25&26 now because I was sort of busy over the weekend. Probably too tired to watch EoE as well but we'll see.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 25 must have been a total mindfuck when it first aired, the slow realisation that it wasn't going to be a short section but the whole episode. lol at the next episode preview just being a panning shot of the script too.

Some of the shots make it obvious that the plan for what would be EoE was there all the time, the ones of Ritsuko and Misato's deaths particularly.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 25, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gendo being the dad from Urusei Yatsura always makes me lol

Also zen Kensuke

I'm still unsure as to whether Shinji accepts or rejects instrumentality at the end, but I'm a lot less sure that it was the former than I was.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Too drained for EoE, there are very few things that make me want to go 'urgh, do I really want to watch this again?' than the first 30 minutes.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

And what are we to make of Shinji and The Girl on the shore, hating each other? Is it the new Adam and Eve, or a metaphor for where Shinji finds himself in his life now? And how does this gel with the epiphany reached at the end of EoTV? Or is it supposed to?

to me, it's a metaphor. not just for shinji's current existence, but for the message of the entire show. he rejects instrumentality because it offers a life with no pain at the compromise of a life with no happiness; the two emotions can't exist without each other. shinji is alone on earth until someone else wills themself back to life i.e. he had no way of knowing that this existence wasn't purely subjective until another person existed. as a result, he begins choking asuka to see whether he can cause pain, to verify whether this is reality. asuka then caresses his face, like a mother would (like yui does during instrumentality) and he breaks down upon the realization that it is reality because humans have emotional capacity. but then it doubles back on the hatred part with the final line -- asuka still holds shinji in utter contempt. what the whole franchise is trying to communicate is that love is so potent that it makes life worth living even if it ultimately is so rare and inextricable from its binary opposition. "love is destructive."

the adam and eve reading doesn't really work for me because as mentioned anyone who has the will to live can bring themself back to life, there's no need to repopulate. it's a nice detail, especially considering that during instrumentality yui talks about how "anywhere can be paradise if you have the will to live" but it doesn't really become anything more than superficial imo.

as an aside i think another interesting thing about the final scene is how much it echoes the the opening of the first episode. shinji is alone before misato comes to pick him up, both feature brief cuts of rei... and when shinji first gets in 01 he says kimochi warui...

as for whether it gels with the tv ending, i don't think that it is supposed to, which is why it has its own title card.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 25, 2016

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Too drained for EoE, there are very few things that make me want to go 'urgh, do I really want to watch this again?' than the first 30 minutes.

Hey guys let's watch EoE together! It'll be fun! :haw:

*like half the thread wimps out*

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Jostiband posted:

Hey guys let's watch EoE together! It'll be fun! :haw:

*like half the thread wimps out*

Seems like the endless eight was better received haha

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Radio Spiricom posted:

to me, it's a metaphor. not just for shinji's current existence, but for the message of the entire show. he rejects instrumentality because it offers a life with no pain at the compromise of a life with no happiness; the two emotions can't exist without each other. shinji is alone on earth until someone else wills themself back to life i.e. he had no way of knowing that this existence wasn't purely subjective until another person existed. as a result, he begins choking asuka to see whether he can cause pain, to verify whether this is reality. asuka then caresses his face, like a mother would (like yui does during instrumentality) and he breaks down upon the realization that it is reality because humans have emotional capacity. but then it doubles back on the hatred part with the final line -- asuka still holds shinji in utter contempt. what the whole franchise is trying to communicate is that love is so potent that it makes life worth living even if it ultimately is so rare and inextricable from its binary opposition. "love is destructive."

the adam and eve reading doesn't really work for me because as mentioned anyone who has the will to live can bring themself back to life, there's no need to repopulate. it's a nice detail, especially considering that during instrumentality yui talks about how "anywhere can be paradise if you have the will to live" but it doesn't really become anything more than superficial imo.

as an aside i think another interesting thing about the final scene is how much it echoes the the opening of the first episode. shinji is alone before misato comes to pick him up, both feature brief cuts of rei... and when shinji first gets in 01 he says kimochi warui...

as for whether it gels with the tv ending, i don't think that it is supposed to, which is why it has its own title card.

One thing I think a lot of people do not notice is that the box art for the EoE dvd cover is set after that infamous scene. It literally spoils the end of evangelion.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

Everyone else, with the possible exception of Fuyutsuki, clearly had real issues beyond their conscious control.

Fuyutsuki is just thirsty as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

watchin eoe tonight

• Locked thread