Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Pervis posted:

The only problem is the 2 flak guns compared to the 8 on the Wyoming (and 4 on the Pennsylvania). I haven't seen many carriers at t5 recently so it hasn't bee much of a problem, but early on it could be real frustrating since a Wyoming can swat carrier planes effectively while the Nevada had no shot at it.

Overall the US BB line seem consistently strong from 4 to 6 and the Colorado at least looks decent at t7. I'm still 50k exp or so away from it but it seems to hold it's own in t7 matches. About the only semi-weak US ships I've encountered were the Omaha (lovely gun setup, giant loving hit area on the ship), and the Benson (4x 1 main artillery is pretty loving weak compared to it's t6 counterparts). I have no idea about the sub line though.

The other thing I like about it is that most of its secondaries are in the bow, and when turning toward enemy DD torps you can concentrate a lot of firepower back at them. I've taken out quite a few DDs with the secondaries, because they're nicely positioned in a head-on arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
5v5s started a few minutes ago, need goons with 6s and 7s if yall want free gold at the end of March.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mazz posted:

5v5s started a few minutes ago, need goons with 6s and 7s if yall want free gold at the end of March.

Nobody's around, heh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why did I never play Japanese subs before, these are wonderful.

BBs can't actually see you unless you get pretty close, can they?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Subs are probably the easiest things around to spot when submerged. Everything has a 3km or greater sonar range and camo/smoke/etc. don't help. They will see you coming, but many aren't paying any attention and they can't really do anything but run away until you surface.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Got a bit tired of the utter idiocy going on at tier 5/6 so decided to take the Fubuki out for some sealclubbing.

:hellyeah:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Warbadger posted:

Subs are probably the easiest things around to spot when submerged. Everything has a 3km or greater sonar range and camo/smoke/etc. don't help. They will see you coming, but many aren't paying any attention and they can't really do anything but run away until you surface.

EDIT: Looking it up just now, most battleships have a sonar range around ~1900m, and ping ~3 times a minute. This is opposed to DDs average of roughly 5000, and a 7 pings a minute. Most BBs can't see you at all past 2 km while submerged, and you will only be visible for like 15-20 seconds of every minute.

The only thing they can realistically do is hope to turn away before you get a shot off and force you to surface to chase. A lot easier on some of the bigger maps and at higher tier where the BBs start getting above 27 knots again.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 25, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
unless the BB is in a pack of BBs then they all ping you and see you for a long time

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Third World Reggin posted:

unless the BB is in a pack of BBs then they all ping you and see you for a long time

Well yeah but a sub thats 2km away from a pack of BBs is in the best situation possible. I'd take getting pinged by a pack of BBs over chasing a solo 5+ BB every day of the week.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 25, 2016

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Applied, my ign is Xenni.

Does the queue get faster in later tiers (just reached tier II)?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

wfwon posted:

Applied, my ign is Xenni.

Does the queue get faster in later tiers (just reached tier II)?

3, 4 and 5

Everything higher hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mazz posted:

EDIT: Looking it up just now, most battleships have a sonar range around ~1900m, and ping ~3 times a minute. This is opposed to DDs average of roughly 5000, and a 7 pings a minute. Most BBs can't see you at all past 2 km while submerged, and you will only be visible for like 15-20 seconds of every minute.

The only thing they can realistically do is hope to turn away before you get a shot off and force you to surface to chase. A lot easier on some of the bigger maps and at higher tier where the BBs start getting above 27 knots again.

Huh, you're right. Based that off running the commander that lets me know when I'm spotted - generally speaking if you submerge anywhere near the enemy team or map midpoint you are instantly spotted in this game. I guess it's just the cruisers and DDs out there with the absurdly long sonar ranges lighting you up. Either way don't make your approach submerged. The sub have pretty good camo and can get surprisingly close while on the surface without being spotted. The moment you go under, though, you're going to be spotted at 4.5-5.5km by every single cruiser and destroyer out there.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 26, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Mazz posted:

3, 4 and 5

Everything higher hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

This x10 for carriers. Some poor tier X carrier has probably sat in queue for the last two weeks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had an honorable I-1 duel with another I-1 today where I torped him twice, ducked his torps, and then surfaced under him to cut him in two. I imagine he slowly slid in half after my sub passed.

Also I think I'm a better shot with DD torpedoes when I don't actually aim them, just fire a wall.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

El_Molestadore posted:

Got a bit tired of the utter idiocy going on at tier 5/6 so decided to take the Fubuki out for some sealclubbing.

:hellyeah:

Sick Bulb and probably slightly lucky that the rest of your team were just that perfect mix of too poo poo to kill much and good enough not to die instantly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn being able to ram other subs in a sub is amazing.

I managed to t-bone a Type O and use him as a human shield to deflect shots from his Omaha buddy, the incoming fire teamkilling him and giving me time to dive.

Japanese subs are wonderful.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

I managed to t-bone a Type O and use him as a human shield to deflect shots from his Omaha buddy, the incoming fire teamkilling him and giving me time to dive.

They are indeed, minus the giant whale of a target you are compared to other subs. Any time I see a hostile sub if I don't hit it on the first pass I just angle in to ram it in some fashion. I'll take less damage than him and usually kill him if he's been damaged. Given the lack of rear tubes letting a hostile sub pass you is generally a bad plan, as is chasing them back towards your team on most maps.

How does renown actually work? I hit Captain (3300+) recently but it feels like I've suddenly leveled off on renown gain, and unless I'm in the top 3 or maybe 4 in the whole match I gain nothing and worse will usually lose 4 or 8 even if I'm the top spot on my team or just middle of the overall match. Maybe playing shittier t6 ships is part of the issue - can I just toggle renown off/on using the button so that I'm only counting it when I'm in a ship I am decent with, and not lose renown on the ships that I need more experience on? I want to get high enough that I can get a decent amount of qualification come March. Plus the cosmetics I guess.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Is there any other way to gain crew member qualification besides recruiting more or via reknown?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pervis posted:

How does renown actually work? I hit Captain (3300+) recently but it feels like I've suddenly leveled off on renown gain, and unless I'm in the top 3 or maybe 4 in the whole match I gain nothing and worse will usually lose 4 or 8 even if I'm the top spot on my team or just middle of the overall match. Maybe playing shittier t6 ships is part of the issue - can I just toggle renown off/on using the button so that I'm only counting it when I'm in a ship I am decent with, and not lose renown on the ships that I need more experience on? I want to get high enough that I can get a decent amount of qualification come March. Plus the cosmetics I guess.

It seems to be based entirely on performance, and it expects higher performance as you go up in tier. I would say the best place to get it right now is tier 5 and 6, but you really have to be in the top 3, perferably getting that MVP, as much as possible climb up, especially since the higher tiers you lose 10-20 renown at the start of every day. At tier 7 and 8 it can get really dumb because those 3v3 matches you often pull there isn't enough poo poo to shoot at to really get the renown the game expects you to, so you can lose some even on decent wins.

Playing boats that don't contribute much in the way of spotting or damage will cost you renown pretty often, yes. If you can get to the point you are getting MVP in tier 5 and 6 destroyers like 3 out of every 5 games you will climb fast.

Humbaba posted:

Is there any other way to gain crew member qualification besides recruiting more or via reknown?

No, not that I've seen. It's all recycled repeat crew, and the rank bonus from admiral or higher come April 1st. 3 star repeats at least give 50 qualification. I'm at 800 now and I spent some gold on crew a couple weekends ago out of boredom. I'm hoping to have some luck with our fleet bonus in a week to break 1000, but I doubt it. It's by far the worst currency grind in the game.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

It seems to be based entirely on performance, and it expects higher performance as you go up in tier. I would say the best place to get it right now is tier 5 and 6, but you really have to be in the top 3, perferably getting that MVP, as much as possible climb up, especially since the higher tiers you lose 10-20 renown at the start of every day. At tier 7 and 8 it can get really dumb because those 3v3 matches you often pull there isn't enough poo poo to shoot at to really get the renown the game expects you to, so you can lose some even on decent wins.

Playing boats that don't contribute much in the way of spotting or damage will cost you renown pretty often, yes. If you can get to the point you are getting MVP in tier 5 and 6 destroyers like 3 out of every 5 games you will climb fast.

No, not that I've seen. It's all recycled repeat crew, and the rank bonus from admiral or higher come April 1st. 3 star repeats at least give 50 qualification. I'm at 800 now and I spent some gold on crew a couple weekends ago out of boredom. I'm hoping to have some luck with our fleet bonus in a week to break 1000, but I doubt it. It's by far the worst currency grind in the game.

You can turn renown off if you want to grind some stock boats or play some classes you aren't good at. You'll lose the daily penalty, but you won't gain or lose renown from matches. I turn it off whenever I play carrier.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You can turn renown off if you want to grind some stock boats or play some classes you aren't good at. You'll lose the daily penalty, but you won't gain or lose renown from matches. I turn it off whenever I play carrier.

You would

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I hate 3v3s.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Protip to enemy DDs: I am in a Bagley. If you use your guns, you can probably outshoot me. Trying to torpedo me just leads to you getting shot, with my guns, while I avoid your torpedoes.

This keeps happening! Other DDs just completely forget they can shoot me or CLs that aren't Atlanta ignore me!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

Protip to enemy DDs: I am in a Bagley. If you use your guns, you can probably outshoot me. Trying to torpedo me just leads to you getting shot, with my guns, while I avoid your torpedoes.

This keeps happening! Other DDs just completely forget they can shoot me or CLs that aren't Atlanta ignore me!

It never stops. I outshot a loving Kagero the other day because he was too busy trying to torp me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mazz posted:

It never stops. I outshot a loving Kagero the other day because he was too busy trying to torp me.

Good. I will feast on their boat souls to fuel the ascension of my own boats.

The best part is after torping they often just turn away and still don't fire. Like...I can still hit you! Maneuver or fight back!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Managed to find 3 BBs all clumped together, and murdered them all with torpedoes. Even with me whizzing around at near point-blank range while frantically waiting for more torps to reload they hardly fired at me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Night10194 posted:

I also like ramming enemy subs into their allies' torpedoes :D

Subs can ram each other underwater, they can also ram while surfacing/diving. I killed another sub once while diving deep and apparently hit him while he was on the way up, our bows hit each other head-on while traveling opposite depths :black101:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Wish I hung on to more of my tier 4s had I known that's what everybody would be using. Well if you guys ever move onto tier 5 and 6 I have plenty of notes.

Also thank you very much for helping me get mumble sorted out so I wasn't a deafmute the whole time.

I enjoyed torping ships that just sat completely still making it easy for me. Also lol at people wanting to finish off that last carrier by ramming it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Personally I blame World of Warships for this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

I enjoyed torping ships that just sat completely still making it easy for me. Also lol at people wanting to finish off that last carrier by ramming it.

That was the best thing, though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Night10194 posted:

That was the best thing, though.

:byodood: STOP SHOOTING WHEN HE GETS TO 500 HEALTH I WANT TO RAM HIM!

*12 Goons playing bumper cars in their botes trying to get the privilege of ramming the Indy*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It was beautiful enough to make me hold off the trigger and that's saying something.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panfilo posted:

:byodood: STOP SHOOTING WHEN HE GETS TO 500 HEALTH I WANT TO RAM HIM!

*12 Goons playing bumper cars in their botes trying to get the privilege of ramming the Indy*

Uh, it's under 90 health. You've got to get it right, or the carrier doesn't take enough damage to die. (And the destroyer does.)

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
Got the Kagero! Which of the guns do I go for? Help me goons!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The ones with the most damage. Precision isn't really a trait you care about when you are doing that LoS shooting from a DD (its more about your ability to manually aim/lead), so those 100mm aren't worth it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

We should probably put the Mumble stuff, and some pointers on fleet battles in the OP. I and others have come in rather ignorant, might make FB smoother.

Side note, I see very few British ships out there. Are they all just poo poo, or just too new?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Their DDs are a bit on the slow side and taking a hit to surface detection range for better sonar and depth charges isn't the best tradeoff, basically. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with them and they can be good, just...they're usually not as good as the USN or IJN ones.

Yubari Trip Report after it was funded by foil cards on Steam and growth plan: It's like driving a bigger Hatsu that's about as nimble, has very good AA, and has slower guns with better pen and HE that's useable on DDs. It's not bad.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

We should probably put the Mumble stuff, and some pointers on fleet battles in the OP. I and others have come in rather ignorant, might make FB smoother.

Side note, I see very few British ships out there. Are they all just poo poo, or just too new?

The DDs past tier 5 are extremely powerful gunships (Except the Ca-class), that aim in fast and shoot well. They tend to have very few high-damage aa guns, which isn't the greatest, and also run spare on torpedoes. The tier 9 gets a lolfucksubs 11 depth charge launcher. Brit DDs are very maneuverable and can dodge things ok. They are probably best at killing other destroyers while avoiding big shells.

The CVs are an unknown factor but I see tryhard players grinding up them so who knows if they get good later.

El_Molestadore posted:

Got the Kagero! Which of the guns do I go for? Help me goons!

You can fight tier 8s on relatively equal terms with the expensive 322 damage ones.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 27, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Tryhard carrier tactics involve fighter spam for spotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
How are the Brooklyn and the other high tier CLs? I feel like it's more prudent to stick with CAs. Brooklyn was a great DD killer in Navyfield, if it's as nice as the Atlanta it might be worth it.

• Locked thread