Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the only thing I can remember that a nominally-Sikh group did that was Very Bad was the Air India bombing. Sikhs are generally very chill and friendly.

Outside of blowing up a jumbo jet and murdering over 300 people, Sikh extremists also assassinated the Indian prime minister.

Sikh Terrorists in the 1980s were really freaking bad.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zelder posted:

wait till you hear about their thoughts on the asian races

and you are definitely going to hear about it because trump is putting full blown in your face racism back on the menu, boys

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Anti-trump ad buys coming to IA this week per founder of the PAC that created that killer "Trump Tapes" youtube vid:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/691426753672278016

https://twitter.com/katiepack/status/691426089726509056

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'd forgotten about European empires' policies of playing different races against each other in order to divide and conquer vast swaths of the world. It seems like such an outmoded mindset, even for racists, but I guess I can see what people were saying earlier about Trump "modernizing" the American right wing up to 19th century nationalism.

This pre-Iowa Trump surge is the first time I've really considered the possibility of Trump winning the General, if only because if he can win the primary in some unprecedented run-the-table manner then who's to say what other historical assumptions might be wrong? The thinking goes that everything Trump does to secure the nomination will destroy him in the General, that his appeal to his fraction of the GOP base is inversely correlated to the public at large, but this still all depends on the Democrats doing their job and they've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory before...

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Zelder posted:

and you are definitely going to hear about it because trump is putting full blown in your face racism back on the menu, boys

The level of ironic-but-not-really racism and antisemitism that Trump's campaign has brought out in people is really gross and disappointing.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

No no no nope no augh asdfhhnjjkjjmjnnnnjmmmkoopppppp

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

squidgee posted:

The level of ironic-but-not-really racism and antisemitism that Trump's campaign has brought out in people is really gross and disappointing.

Well, Europe sure wouldn't be helping even without Trump. I think his idea "no one would even be talking about this" is BS, the migrant crisis issue is getting pretty heated. He just made sure America focused its hate on Mexicans AND muslims, not just muslims.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

No no no nope no augh asdfhhnjjkjjmjnnnnjmmmkoopppppp

I kiss you

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

squidgee posted:

strap in, it's only going to get worse

and the think pieces on "is donald trump really a racist" are going to be straight up infuriating

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Dolash posted:

I'd forgotten about European empires' policies of playing different races against each other in order to divide and conquer vast swaths of the world. It seems like such an outmoded mindset, even for racists, but I guess I can see what people were saying earlier about Trump "modernizing" the American right wing up to 19th century nationalism.

This pre-Iowa Trump surge is the first time I've really considered the possibility of Trump winning the General, if only because if he can win the primary in some unprecedented run-the-table manner then who's to say what other historical assumptions might be wrong? The thinking goes that everything Trump does to secure the nomination will destroy him in the General, that his appeal to his fraction of the GOP base is inversely correlated to the public at large, but this still all depends on the Democrats doing their job and they've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory before...

But that's the thing a lot of commentators have been missing: Trump isn't a classic conservative appealing just to the conservative base, in fact the super-conservative base is the one demographic where Ted Cruz gives him a run for his money. Trump has pretty impressive appeal with moderate and unaligned voters. Populism/nationalism is a dangerous beast, particularly because it doesn't match very well with traditional left/right voter models. I wouldn't rate Trump's chances as very high in the general, but the right combination of outside events (economy crash being pinned on the democrats, a large terrorist attack on home soil, a scandal that is actually based on substance hitting Hillary) could swing the election his way.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Zelder posted:

strap in, it's only going to get worse

and the think pieces on "is donald trump really a racist" are going to be straight up infuriating

Pic below is coming.

(Also, I like how everyone still thinks populism and nationalism are inherently disgusting, apparently skipping over modern Japan and Israel straight back to muh Hitlers)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 25, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i wouldn't really say the nationalism that's on display in Israel is particularly good. It's very apartheid-esque, ya' know? second class citizens and all that jazz

I don't want to uncork the Israel debate in this already fraying at the edges thread, but surely you could come up with a better example in defense of your argument

Zelder fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 25, 2016

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I think that people being able to air a wide and varied range of views to the American public is a good thing.

I mean we were at the stage when people were getting fired from their jobs for badly thought out tweets. Trump sure has taken a hatchet to the very concept of political correctness

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

thethreeman posted:

Anti-trump ad buys coming to IA this week per founder of the PAC that created that killer "Trump Tapes" youtube vid:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/691426753672278016

https://twitter.com/katiepack/status/691426089726509056

:ohdear:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump will lay the smack down on Israel, but will utterly destroy the Palestinian people if they get uppity.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

The Saurus posted:

I think that people being able to air a wide and varied range of views to the American public is a good thing.

I mean we were at the stage when people were getting fired from their jobs for badly thought out tweets. Trump sure has taken a hatchet to the very concept of political correctness

Yes, the public discourse including a wide variety of views and ideas is a good thing, and the political correctness pendulum has indeed swung too far to the left. That said, it's seriously disturbing when you have a candidate for president re-tweeting literal white supremacists without suffering any negative consequences in the polls, and represents a swing of the pendulum way too far in the wrong direction.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

squidgee posted:

Yes, the public discourse including a wide variety of views and ideas is a good thing, and the political correctness pendulum has indeed swung too far to the left. That said, it's seriously disturbing when you have a candidate for president re-tweeting literal white supremacists without suffering any negative consequences in the polls, and represents a swing of the pendulum way too far in the wrong direction.

As evidenced by 2008 + 2012, the Republicans live in a bubble now, and every four years it is popped and a lot of poo poo happens. Except this time Trump popped everybody and now he is unstoppable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

As evidenced by 2008 + 2012, the Republicans live in a bubble now, and every four years it is popped and a lot of poo poo happens. Except this time Trump popped everybody and now he is unstoppable.

It's not so much a bubble as a zeppelin filled with hydrogen gas

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

etalian posted:

It's not so much a bubble as a zeppelin filled with hydrogen gas

Oh, the yoojmanity

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Can't pop that mop

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Nonsense posted:

I finally realized that virtually everybody who makes posts like this thought Brainy Smurf was the role model when they were watching cartoons as a kid.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I finally realized that virtually everybody who makes posts like this thought Brainy Smurf was the role model when they were watching cartoons as a kid.

Pinky and the Brain actually. Also I'm completely correct :shrug:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Pinky and the Brain actually. Also I'm completely correct :shrug:

So was brainy he was just an insufferable autist who made faux-deep commentary and got shoved into lockers or was that the Smurfs idk my childhood is pretty blurry

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pinky did nothing wrong

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oiled and Ready posted:

So was brainy he was just an insufferable autist who made faux-deep commentary and got shoved into lockers or was that the Smurfs idk my childhood is pretty blurry

Brainy smurf was an anti-semite.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I forgot I made some of these with snapchat during one of the debates.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

I forgot I made some of these with snapchat during one of the debates.

this feels like fetish material

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the only thing I can remember that a nominally-Sikh group did that was Very Bad was the Air India bombing. Sikhs are generally very chill and friendly.

FYI, statements like "Sikhs are generally very chill and friendly" strikes me as being kind of weirdly patronizing, a bit like when people go around saying "Asians are generally very good at math."

I'm pretty sure every Sikh is an individual with varying levels of chillness and assholery, just like every other group of human beings on this planet. I mean, it's good that you're trying to push back against unfair negative stereotypes that have developed around them, but maybe you could try doing it by pointing out that they're just normal people?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo you just got called out on a microaggression by a cocksucker

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chris Christie explains microaggressions

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I think Trump's economic nationalism is a good thing considering we have been skull-loving the American worker for years now.

You can't claim to support the working man while also being pro-amnesty and weak on deporting ILLEGAL immigrants, and also taking money from and social support from trendy tech and entertainment companies that commit fraud and abuse our visa programs to replace Americans with imported foreign labor.

The Hitler and Nazi crap is getting old. I know Nazi Germany pretty well, not from Wikipedia bullshit but from an actual history degree program and focusing on Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union and writing papers on this poo poo. I could make a pretty strong case for how Clinton is closer to the Nazis than Trump but I won't because it's loving retarded considering neither wants to or will build concentration camps and murder millions of Americans.

People comparing Trump to Nazis for wanting to enforce immigration law, especially in light of how liberal our immigration laws are and how lax our enforcement is compared to most of the rest of the world (including our southern neighbors) are loving stupid.

If you believe people who break our immigration laws and enter the U.S. illegally or stay in the U.S. after visa expiration illegally deserve special treatment and a free pass, then fine, says so and state your case as to why. But spare me the once laughable and now annoying drama queen hysterics comparing Trump to the fascists of early 20th century Europe.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Chris Christie explains microaggressions

chris christie only deals in macroagressions

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zelder posted:

chris christie only deals in macroagressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLwjSkHM-8U

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Boosted_C5 posted:

I think Trump's economic nationalism is a good thing considering we have been skull-loving the American worker for years now.

You can't claim to support the working man while also being pro-amnesty and weak on deporting ILLEGAL immigrants, and also taking money from and social support from trendy tech and entertainment companies that commit fraud and abuse our visa programs to replace Americans with imported foreign labor.

The Hitler and Nazi crap is getting old. I know Nazi Germany pretty well, not from Wikipedia bullshit but from an actual history degree program and focusing on Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union and writing papers on this poo poo. I could make a pretty strong case for how Clinton is closer to the Nazis than Trump but I won't because it's loving retarded considering neither wants to or will build concentration camps and murder millions of Americans.

People comparing Trump to Nazis for wanting to enforce immigration law, especially in light of how liberal our immigration laws are and how lax our enforcement is compared to most of the rest of the world (including our southern neighbors) are loving stupid.

If you believe people who break our immigration laws and enter the U.S. illegally or stay in the U.S. after visa expiration illegally deserve special treatment and a free pass, then fine, says so and state your case as to why. But spare me the once laughable and now annoying drama queen hysterics comparing Trump to the fascists of early 20th century Europe.

Trump said wages are too high and Muslims should all wear patches announcing their faith. If you don't want your candidate to get compared to Hitler he should stop quoting him.

If he gets into office the skullfucking will continue and he has said nothing to refute this position and lots to support it

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Yeah really, I saw one that had "Hitler tried to make Germany great by removing 11 million Jewish people, Trump wants to make America great by removing 11 million Spanish people"

If nothing else, the idea that illegals are a homogenous group of mexicans is laughable for anyone with an understanding of immigration in America, there are illegals of every single race and religion. I'm not really sure when it became acceptable to enter another nation's borders illegally, send wealth out of it while paying no taxes and then claim a mantle of victimhood for anyone who wants you to go through the same process that everyone else has to.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Saurus posted:

Yeah really, I saw one that had "Hitler tried to make Germany great by removing 11 million Jewish people, Trump wants to make America great by removing 11 million Spanish people"

If nothing else, the idea that illegals are a homogenous group of mexicans is laughable for anyone with an understanding of immigration in America, there are illegals of every single race and religion. I'm not really sure when it became acceptable to enter another nation's borders illegally, send wealth out of it while paying no taxes and then claim a mantle of victimhood for anyone who wants you to go through the same process that everyone else has to.

Imagine if Trump found out Mexican citizens who shop in the U.S. can get the sales taxes they paid back lol

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

You don't understand you monster if you enforce the law and deport an illegal alien it will tear apart their family just like any American's family would be torn apart if they were sent to prison for breaking the law but that's totally different because *reasons*

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Question for the apparently unironic Trump supporters who have recently appeared; are you recent converts, or have you been quietly supporting him for some time before choosing to make your loyalties public? If the former, what was it that brought you over to his side, and if the latter, what was it that made you decide to come out with your support?

I guess you can go ahead and answer this one too, Boosted.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

2016 Republican Primary: Trump popped everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm pretty sure every Sikh is an individual with varying levels of chillness and assholery, just like every other group of human beings on this planet.

He said "generally." You even quoted it.

• Locked thread