Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

you can't turn a land into a basic

Magic has no problems adding supertypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
3 Banes hit the table. lmao

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Three Bane of Bala Ged on camera during the finals. loving lol.

efb;

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
There are three Bane of Bala Ged's on the battlefield

Patrick Sullivan: "Whatever Bala Ged is, it's in trouble".

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Just buy cards off TCGPlayer.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
That was awesome.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lol at the eldrazi player just chugging a gallon container of water

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Goblins?!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
What the hell made Brickey keep that garbage hand?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Errant Gin Monks posted:

the illuminati runs mtg and dont loving forget it if you ever want to win at FNM again

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

well its not like he was winning anyway

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I count 25 unique new cards in the top 8, that's pretty cool (admittedly the guy who played Warping Wail said it was a mistake to in the deck tech).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I count 25 unique new cards in the top 8, that's pretty cool (admittedly the guy who played Warping Wail said it was a mistake to in the deck tech).

As in a mistake to maindeck it? I don't know why the green eldrazi player wasn't using 4 spatial distortion, seems perfect for killing aggro creatures early.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Abzan Company in the top 8? Lock me in for what I'm playing this standard boys. :getin:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

As in a mistake to maindeck it? I don't know why the green eldrazi player wasn't using 4 spatial distortion, seems perfect for killing aggro creatures early.
Nah it was the Abzan Company guy who had one in the board. He said that holding up a "counterspell" didn't really go well with the deck's proactive gameplan which makes some sense.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Kilo147 posted:

Its not a great deck, you get a single game and then the other player adapts almost instantly. But that one game, holy poo poo, the look on their faces when I draw twenty something cards a turn. Worth every goddamn penny.

Thanks for the trip report... I'm hopefully running it this week, I'll also report back.

And even if my night goes exactly like that, it would be totally worth it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Anyway, to report on the more important result today: did you know that all Goblins needed to be the best legacy deck again was a 1-of Warping Wail?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=98007

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

In a deck like ramp, if you're playing cards that don't help your gameplan, they better be more impactful than lightning strike.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Its why Affinity never sideboards or runs tech. The tech has to be outrageously good to get in the way of cards that actually facilitate doing your linear garbage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's a reasonable hedge against the aggressive decks that trouble ramp though. Most of the midrange decks seem to roll over and die to hard-cast 7 drops so you don't necessarily have to be that focused.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm not sure I accept the premise that ramp is actually better against aggro by any noticeable amounts by adding 4 spot removal spells, since your main way of beating them is essentially to race them and you you have to cut ramp spells and/or big guys for them, which makes you less likely to get your god draws.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why does Inverter of Truth exile face down? To prevent some hypothetical fringe broken exploit?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess it stops you from "drawing" Torrent Elemental/Misthollow Griffin. It also means your opponent doesn't get to see your whole decklist though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

probably so your opponent can't look through your library

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Some rules interact differently with cards that are exiled face down, if I recall.

It also means that playing Inverter doesn't let your opponent take a free peek at your entire decklist.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And prevents you from wining with hedron alignment, presumably.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I doubt wotc is all that fussed about the hedron alignment/inverter of truth deck especially since that would remove the one in your gy

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

I'm not sure I accept the premise that ramp is actually better against aggro by any noticeable amounts by adding 4 spot removal spells, since your main way of beating them is essentially to race them and you you have to cut ramp spells and/or big guys for them, which makes you less likely to get your god draws.

I think this would be true in any format but the current standard. I think as long as you can make land drops every turn and play a spell each turn to either stay alive or ramp you'll be ok, with the exception of going against atarka red. Most other decks take a while to get rolling and the current ramp decks just go over top of them. You either need to play a strong defense, or ramp hard. It's why some builds run hangarback walker, it's purely a defensive creature that makes multiple chump blockers to buy turns. All of the ramp decks in the top 32 all seem to be built differently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

I doubt wotc is all that fussed about the hedron alignment/inverter of truth deck especially since that would remove the one in your gy

course, I wasn't implying that was their motivation

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Anyway, to report on the more important result today: did you know that all Goblins needed to be the best legacy deck again was a 1-of Warping Wail?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=98007

It exiles Deathrite Shaman and counters Terminus. It all seems so clear now.

The x1 Grenzo is noticeable too, since Grenzo can at his base stats flip any creature in the deck but Krenko and Earwig Squad on to the battlefield, and he basically gets +x/+x for each warchief if he's being cast.

God I love goblins. I'm glad it's back.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It exiles Deathrite Shaman and counters Terminus. It all seems so clear now.

The x1 Grenzo is noticeable too, since Grenzo can at his base stats flip any creature in the deck but Krenko and Earwig Squad on to the battlefield, and he basically gets +x/+x for each warchief if he's being cast.

God I love goblins. I'm glad it's back.

This guy stole my Death and Taxes tech but put it in a Bad Deck instead of a good deck. And somehow won a tournament.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

This guy stole my Death and Taxes tech but put it in a Bad Deck instead of a good deck. And somehow won a tournament.

Considering Legacy Goblins used to be all in on splashing white for Thalia, this must mean it's worth shifting away from D&T stuff.

Either that or the metagame got too relaxed around the ol' gobbos and got piledriven for their hubris.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Temur Delver
Merfolk
Merfolk
Jund
Affinity
Affinity
Burn
Zoo

man, Tron sure picked up so many pieces. watch out for tron

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tournament victories are how I know Naya Lightsaber was a good deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Aether Vial and Arcbound Ravager bans up next, got it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bring back extended

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Twin was a smaller portion of the field with a lower win percent than Affinity soooooo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Recess Rapist posted:

Temur Delver
Merfolk
Merfolk
Jund
Affinity
Affinity
Burn
Zoo

man, Tron sure picked up so many pieces. watch out for tron

Fully 5/8ths of the top 8 have ways of mitigating or prey on Tron.

The presence of 2 Merfolk decks alone in the top 8 should say a good deal.

E: When you're running loving Sea's Claim in your 60 you were expecting to run into a bunch of Tron and if you show up in the top 8 you probably got rewarded for it.

Oh look, 4 Tectonic Edge in the sideboard, I wonder if that came in handy

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fully 5/8ths of the top 8 have ways of mitigating or prey on Tron.

The presence of 2 Merfolk decks alone in the top 8 should say a good deal.

Yeah, it looks like everyone came prepared with some slots freed up for some reason.

• Locked thread