Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They hold the same position in the JoJo family tree, sure enough, but that's about the depth of their link story wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i like giorno and gold experience because they look cool. i havent read part 5

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What I like most about Gold Experience is that you can tell he got it while he was going by Haruno because he has Haruno's bowl cut.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lol ok that owns

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They're different people with the same/similar names.

Yeah, I mean in the new universe Jotaro and loving Kira Yoshikage are the same dude for a start.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

you still get people showing up before they were born like Avdol. Part 6's ending isn't new scarily the same universe parts 7 and 8 take place one.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, think more "references and callbacks" than actually being recurring characters. Jonathan and Johnny are like night and day, and Johnny and Gyro have more of a Joseph and Caesar dynamic, but more expanded upon. Not to mention the completely new characters who have nothing to do with the rest of the series. :v:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

I greatly appreciate this effort post, and it really does help me understand the thrust of VA more. But at the same time I still have a nagging hangup with so much focus being placed on Dio's kid for him to ultimately be a Joestar that says WRYYYY. Having him be tragic for a different cause is great but I don't see why he had to be Dio's kid to get to that point. Although I'll say that at least some of this is with the hindsight of since having read SBR and Johnny, to me, being a more interesting iteration of the "Joestar gets what he wants, ha ha" idea.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

...Part 6's ending isn't new scarily the same universe parts 7 and 8 take place one.

can someone help me unpack this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The universe presented in the final chapter of Stone Ocean is not the SBRverse.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It is though.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I greatly appreciate this effort post, and it really does help me understand the thrust of VA more. But at the same time I still have a nagging hangup with so much focus being placed on Dio's kid for him to ultimately be a Joestar that says WRYYYY. Having him be tragic for a different cause is great but I don't see why he had to be Dio's kid to get to that point. Although I'll say that at least some of this is with the hindsight of since having read SBR and Johnny, to me, being a more interesting iteration of the "Joestar gets what he wants, ha ha" idea.

I think the "he had to be DIO's kid" thing came about partly because it's an interesting thing to think about, but also from Araki wanting to do a mafia story, but the garden variety Joestar not being very good for that kind of setting. A sort of, "You know, someone more like DIO might be better for this kind of thing," deal. That's just a guess, but I really can't see an average Joestar working for that story, much less wanting to be involved with the mafia in the first place. Unless they're like Johnny or something, lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

The universe presented in the final chapter of Stone Ocean is not the SBRverse.
Look I know it's not plausible but I need to believe that while a guy with four balls woke up in Japan, Irene and hobo Weather Report are roadtripping round the USA.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering how much Araki keeps to his own established rules (he doesn't) the SBR universe is simultaneously the same as the end of Stone Ocean's and not.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I feel like we have this conversation something like twice a month

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The reset universe is the SBR universe, but until Araki decides to do something with it (if he ever does at all) it doesn't matter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It doesn't matter whether or not the SBRverse and the Ireneverse are the same, though they probably aren't since Holly never married Sadao Kujo this time around which snips out Jotaro and anyone related to him.

It was always vaguely plausible when all we had was Part 7, but Part 7's ending and Part 8's existence have made it increasingly unlikely.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was just deciphering what the other guy said.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I feel like we have this conversation something like twice a month

We do :laugh: though I don't mind so much as I wish I could find a way to keep the dream alive with Irene.

The callbacks later on are delightful and all but honestly I think that's really all they are, just callbacks that are fun but shouldn't be considered super meaningful?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Did Jolyne even say her last name in the end of Stone Ocean? When we saw the family tree in JoJolion I just assumed that it meant Jolyne had an entirely different father and lived in Florida because that's where her mom is from in both universes, the other guys just have different background stories.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That's not how genetics work.

In before, "It's Jojo."

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I thought Pucci took out the Jostar family line so Irene and Jotaro weren't Jostars anymore and were replaced by that weird bee people in the prison

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I thought Pucci took out the Jostar family line so Irene and Jotaro weren't Jostars anymore and were replaced by that weird bee people in the prison

He did do that. Then Emporio killed him and reset the timeline again, dumping him into the universe that has Irene.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

When SBR was still fairly new it was the new universe but Araki calls it a parallel universe now.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Here's hoping in this universe Foo Fighters is in a three-way relationship with Jolyne Irene and Hermes, after Anasui Anakiss dies or something.

:saddowns: A man can dream...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I hope this universe's Foo Fighters is just a jar of plankton in Jotaro's office. With a Stand.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zeruel posted:

Here's hoping in this universe Foo Fighters is in a three-way relationship with Jolyne Irene and Hermes, after Anasui Anakiss dies or something.

:saddowns: A man can dream...

That does seem like the best timeline.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
Speaking of Irene, I really like that there's a lot of girl characters in Universe 2.0. The girl characters in jojo were always badass in their roles (even Erina dissed Dio back in Victorian times) but they keep getting cooler. Lucy Steel did awesome stuff in SBR, Kyo is probably gonna do some awesome stuff in a few chapters when the flashback ends, Yasuho owns, Holly owns. And Daiya and Yasuho have great clothes.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't read Part 8, but I've never gotten the impression Araki was necessarily against strong female characters

Lisa Lisa owns bones all the way in Part 2

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I think it's more that the earlier parts, as weird and influential as they could be, are still fairly steeped in some of the shounen traditions.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

setafd posted:

I haven't read Part 8, but I've never gotten the impression Araki was necessarily against strong female characters

Lisa Lisa owns bones all the way in Part 2

The female characters in Parts 1-2 weren't particularly bad, but then comes Part 3, where the female characters are either damsels in distress or throwaway villains except for Enya. Part 4 has one female sort-of protagonist, who is a yandere. By Araki's own admission, he had some sexist ideas back then that he came to realize were silly. You can pinpoint the exact spot where his attitudes changed, too; it's right in the middle of the Notorious BIG fight.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yukako has a ton of problems as a character but I still really, really like her.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The thing with Yukako is that Araki was getting tired of the whole "Moe" thing and wanted to make a female character who could be intimidating, which is good.

He just, you know, used Misery as a reference point for that which, ehhhhh...

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I think it's more that the earlier parts, as weird and influential as they could be, are still fairly steeped in some of the shounen traditions.

Add "executive meddling from Shounen Jump" and this is pretty much it.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
You need to be able to accept that the older parts of Jojo were products of their time, and as mentioned before Araki has recognised the 'problematic' nature of some of the content.
Still, he's got a great track record for badass women. Lisa Lisa, Trish post Spice Girls, Jolyne/FF/Hermes, Lucy Steel, etc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad araki was able to finally write a fight scene involving yasuho that didn't involve threat of rape

It's a shame araki has regressed in his ability to draw black people though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lisa Lisa gets chumped in her only real fight, which makes me reluctant to really speak of her as one of Araki's good female characters. I still like her, but drat she is completely mishandled.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

A lot of stuff in part 2 is mishandled from a fight hierarchy perspective. It's one of the clearest signs that the series was still pulling heavily from the standard rulebook: only Joseph gets the face time to shine.

e: the foundation of Lisa Lisa is still solid and the implication of her characterization and discipline is aces. But she showed up too early, fight-wise, to be anything other than The Mentor. Although it is fairly interesting that Joseph never reached her level of technical prowess.

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 25, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's nice to see that he's at least trying to write better lady characters which is more than some manga writers can say for themselves

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I just read the newest Jojolion, and drat does original Josuke and Kira have some mighty sameface. Maybe because they need to look enough like Gappy to remain recognizable as his progenators, but drat if I could only tell them apart by clothes.

Also, it was cool to see their stands in action in this universe.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

FirstAidKite's remark about Yasuho reminded me that Joshuu has been melted for a long time. Not *actually* a long time, but a long time for us. This thought pleases me somewhat.

Somebody will have to track down a bike pump to reinflate his felt hair havin' rear end and maybe that time spent as a sack of melty flesh will have given him some insight on his behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm glad araki was able to finally write a fight scene involving yasuho that didn't involve threat of rape

It's a shame araki has regressed in his ability to draw black people though

Dude's changed in a lot of ways but he seems to have regressed in the threats of rape as a plot device area. I don't remember anything like that happening before Steel Ball Run where Lucy had the first lady and then alternate Diego threaten her. There's ways to demonstrate a female character has strength that don't involve that poo poo, and he already did it with Jolyne, so we know he's able to do it.

Stone Ocean was also super uncomfortable re: Araki drawing black people.