Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Bombadilillo posted:

Am I understanding this Mario autism bs right? Like, hold down the button a bit for 30 seconds between jumps and it's "less effort" then 2 presses? Cause 1.5?

It's like a Tomahawk missile. But with an A press being analogous to the missile knowing its current position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bombadilillo posted:

Am I understanding this Mario autism bs right? Like, hold down the button a bit for 30 seconds between jumps and it's "less effort" then 2 presses? Cause 1.5?

Gamers like to make challenges for themselves for games they've played a million times, like beating Super Mario 1 without collecting coins or something. This thing appears to have come from the challenge of collecting all 120 stars in SM64 by pressing the A button as few times as possible. The guy in the video then spends 25 minutes trying to explain how he can lower his number of button presses by arguing that if he holds the button the whole time it only counts as half a press, so he can end up with a lower number by the end of the challenge.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Leofish posted:

Gamers like to make challenges for themselves for games they've played a million times, like beating Super Mario 1 without collecting coins or something. This thing appears to have come from the challenge of collecting all 120 stars in SM64 by pressing the A button as few times as possible. The guy in the video then spends 25 minutes trying to explain how he can lower his number of button presses by arguing that if he holds the button the whole time it only counts as half a press, so he can end up with a lower number by the end of the challenge.

We need another world war.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leofish posted:

Well then, I'm going to take my controller apart and swap the A and B buttons, that way I can beat the game with zero A button presses. :smuggo:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

the_steve posted:

Well then, I'm going to take my controller apart and swap the A and B buttons, that way I can beat the game with zero A button presses. :smuggo:

A 100% more satisfying answer to the bar bet.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

the_steve posted:

Don't you have to at least throw Bowser into the bombs to win? That uses the B (A) button, right?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

pannenkoek did a no b button run of Mario 64 but according to him it's not very interesting, so there must be some glitch that lets you kill bowser without throwing him.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Mezzanine posted:

Don't you have to at least throw Bowser into the bombs to win? That uses the B (A) button, right?

see, what you do is, you then pause the game and reconfigure your controller so that the buttons are swapped back, and after you're done with bowser, you re-reconfigure the controller, repeating this process whenever you encounter bowser, and that way,

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

But you see, a button actually has two parts, the plastic shell on top and the switch mechanism beneath. Even if you swap the tops you've just turned a press into half a press.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

It's not easier, it's a challenge run. Specifically to press the A button as few times as possible.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
yeah, well

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i am very glad this enterprising young man is rigorously determining the best way to beat Mario 64 in the least amount of A button presses rather than focusing on his true calling, which is most likely creating a machine that effortlessly kills trapped drifters

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Brutakas posted:

It's like a Tomahawk missile. But with an A press being analogous to the missile knowing its current position.

But has Mario really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

So the murder strike is when you grab the blade with your hands and swing it hard enough to bounce harmlessly off a helmet or something and try not to lose your fingers in process

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

Brutakas posted:

I've been looking for this video for the last 5 years. thanks

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Firstborn posted:

So the murder strike is when you grab the blade with your hands and swing it hard enough to bounce harmlessly off a helmet or something and try not to lose your fingers in process

Do you think armour was more resistant to blunt strikes then swords?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Brutakas posted:

Is it a problem that I watch this and I understand what it's saying?

Is there something wrong with my brain?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh man, you are really revealing your ignorance here.

The video wasn't about A presses, that was just an aside that he had to cover for the first 5 minutes of the video. Geez, its like you people don't even do your due diligence.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
And now here is a compilation of the Mario memes. http://m.imgur.com/a/I23YP

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Halfswording is one of an extremely common amount of techniques that involve not holding your sword as a slashing weapon, like an idiot, when fighting somebody in full plate armor. A full-force pommel blow to the skull will disorient if not concuss or literally crack the skull of somebody, depending on the force out behind it and the quality of their armor. It's also standard practice to half-sword so you can better thrust the tip of your sword into the gaps of overlapping plate, because blunt weapons and piercing weapons are the only effective weapons against plate armor and slashing a sword against it is the dumbest thing you could possibly do.

Oh, and you can hold a sword in your hand if it's an estoc or you have some kind of protective gauntlet, like literally everybody would.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

death .cab for qt posted:

Halfswording is one of an extremely common amount of techniques that involve not holding your sword as a slashing weapon, like an idiot, when fighting somebody in full plate armor. A full-force pommel blow to the skull will disorient if not concuss or literally crack the skull of somebody, depending on the force out behind it and the quality of their armor. It's also standard practice to half-sword so you can better thrust the tip of your sword into the gaps of overlapping plate, because blunt weapons and piercing weapons are the only effective weapons against plate armor and slashing a sword against it is the dumbest thing you could possibly do.

Oh, and you can hold a sword in your hand if it's an estoc or you have some kind of protective gauntlet, like literally everybody would.

Except the man in the meme is barehanded.

Maybe he's just bringing the guy a bigger sword?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A sword is a sword. You can't say it's only a half.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

Except the man in the meme is barehanded.

Maybe he's just bringing the guy a bigger sword?

He's obviously in the "special" fighting tournament, look at the size of the fence

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Paladinus posted:

A sword is a sword. You can't say it's only a half.

Well actually, there are 3 parts to the sword.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
If you enter the arena already holding your sword by the blade, you can win the fight by using only .5 swings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A pregnancy actually has three stages: the benis in vagina, the way instain, and the loss.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Jerry Cotton posted:

A pregnancy actually has three stages: the benis in vagina, the way instain, and the loss.

:gif of someone applauding:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SpacePig posted:

If you enter the arena already holding your sword by the blade, you can win the fight by using only .5 swings.

lol

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
man this half press poo poo is dank as gently caress

we're living like kings here people

thank mr scuttlal

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

:gif of someone applauding:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

SpacePig posted:

*runs backward into sloped statue of caesar in fountain*

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

graybook posted:

yeah, well

Inject this poo poo straight into my dick.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APo7805Yzhk

Zombies magazine has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Jan 25, 2016

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Bittersweet :smith: Maybe next year.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Inject this poo poo straight into my dick.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APo7805Yzhk

What's that music from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The credits from the game that video is about.

• Locked thread