Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah that was a mess. I'm still excited for the MOTW stuff but having every right wing conspiracy theory be true for the nebulous motive of control feels weak. Hopefully the finale will invert that and get us back to a manageable syndicate style alien conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I just want Mulder and Scully to get married and have babies.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The Glumslinger posted:

Its the most 90s search engine name ever

Actually wait, did it ever appear on the show before? Because that'd be kinda great

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I think the entire conspiracy would be cleared up of Moulder would just take his drat seroquel when he's supposed to.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Waltzing Along posted:

Duchovny forgot how to be Mulder. For this I am glad because Hank Moody is better than Mulder, anyway.

They should just cancel the next five episodes now.

I don't know if I am glad there are only six episodes or not. I kinda wish it was only one. One half. Actually none. It was better ended with that stupid movie about Mulder and Scully loving.

Everything that came out has said the first episode is rough and the other ones are good to great.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Ok am I on drugs or haven't they done this exact plotline before? There was a conspiracy of men using alien tech, the abductions were done by them, Skully's baby, etc. This was all fact in the show. It's like they all just had amnesia about any of that happening?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol: Roswell was a Russian invasion

This is a "real" conspiracy that's actually out there (also involving Josef Mengele working with Stalin) and is one of my favorite crazy bullshit theories out there.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Reality is a fiction the powerful use to control the powerless

stay tuned for flukeman

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BlackJosh posted:

This is a "real" conspiracy that's actually out there (also involving Josef Mengele working with Stalin) and is one of my favorite crazy bullshit theories out there.

Wasn't that book discredited like a month after it came out?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

Ok am I on drugs or haven't they done this exact plotline before? There was a conspiracy of men using alien tech, the abductions were done by them, Skully's baby, etc. This was all fact in the show. It's like they all just had amnesia about any of that happening?

The shows' mytharc went something like this:

Aliens did it
no wait it was men
Nah it was Aliens

And now the government is behind a lot of the abductions etc but aliens do exist and the technology the government uses is based on alien tech.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Also some random a dudes built an alien spaceship with no government backing (at least as it was presented to us, maybe they got patsy'd)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Mitch Pileggi looks loving great. Goddamn.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It was fun, but Scully needs to take some crack or something and wake the gently caress up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Philthy posted:

It was fun, but Scully needs to show her crack or something and wake us the gently caress up.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Philthy posted:

It was fun, but Scully needs to take some crack or something and wake the gently caress up.

She's been acting almost exclusively in British productions for over a decade. Give her a break.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

insider posted:

The original conspiracy was about The Syndicate kidnapping people for experiments in creating alien human hybrids so that humans could be used as slaves by the aliens (also The Syndicate was also stalling while trying to create a vaccine that would make them immune to the black oil virus that the aliens would use to make them slaves). Of course they all ended up dead after the Rebels killed them for working with the aliens in the first place. Then later on there was stuff about super soldiers but that was in like the last season and didn't really go anywhere.

This new conspiracy makes even less sense. I'm going to wait for the rest of the episodes to make a final judgement, though

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

J33uk posted:

Also some random a dudes built an alien spaceship with no government backing (at least as it was presented to us, maybe they got patsy'd)

Yeah, that's the thing that really confused me. I had first assumed they were a dog and pony show to ensnare conspiracy theorists, but then the jackbooted thugs killed them, and now I don't know what to believe.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

bad episode with the best ending

Indeed.

I'm a huge X-Files fanboy and apologist, and that was pretty meh. We've been through this whole "it's not aliens, it's a conspiracy of men" thing before. It's a strange choice, and honestly, disappointing that they're basically rehashing that with a current events twist. Although, I did enjoy Mulder's X-Files unifying theory speech in the same way I enjoy a Metal Gear game. It's so batshit insane that it's actually entertaining.

Let's be honest, we were mostly looking forward to the MOTW episodes anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Satorr posted:

She's been acting almost exclusively in British productions for over a decade. Give her a break.

the Fall was pretty good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The X-Files: Incoherent to the point it borders on treason.

I'm actually really surprised Mulder bought into any of that poo poo. Where I'm at on my first full watch (middle of season 6), he knows about the black oil and alien-human hybrids from the CSM. I'm sure there's more mythos left I haven't seen, but modern Mulder is coming off as really credulous, even for him.

I mean, really, what possible agenda could these elites that are trying to take over America have? If they have that much power and influence to false flag 9/11, they already have the control they want with none of the overhead of actually enslaving America.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn't that book discredited like a month after it came out?

I'm sure it was since its bullshit, but I just think that poo poo is hilarious and great as an idea

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
By the way, the punchline to all this is Chris Carter setting up a cliffhanger at the end of the miniseries and then the show doesn't get renewed.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Well I'm completely lost, I thought the aliens were actually from earth but they left 50,000 years ago blah blah blah, black oil and poo poo.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

That was sloppy as fuckkkkkk

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like I think we aren't suppose to buy into everything that was said, just the stuff about the government is using technology, the 2012 alien invasion was faked, and the alien DNA thing. I don't think we are suppose to agree with Alex JoneHale on every right wing conspiracy or all the stuff Mulder said there.

What I think they are going to go for is after the syndicate was killed by the aliens dudes CSM realized there was a power vacuum and started a new human conspiracy that he hid around a fake 2012 alien invasion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is X-Files: What the gently caress Went Wrong with the 2000s edition.

Also disappointed the CSM isn't vaping.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

foobardog posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that really confused me. I had first assumed they were a dog and pony show to ensnare conspiracy theorists, but then the jackbooted thugs killed them, and now I don't know what to believe.

I'm sure they can write that off as tidying up loose ends if they wanted to. But yeah, it felt like something from a transformers movie. In the original run a half destroyed ship sort of floating would have sufficed, not a fully functional ship with a cloak

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Apparently this was made for the lazy "fan" like me who tuned out everything after Mulder left the first time and didn't learn what was "really" happening.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I like how they bullshitted the whole 2012 end-of-the-world thing.

"Yeah, you see, it was actually just the countdown that started in 2012!"

I can't wait until it's revealed that it's just a countdown to yet another countdown.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Can the talksoup guy please never show up again thanks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just loving investigate poop monsters and sideshow freaks already.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

foobardog posted:

Though interestingly enough, apparently we move into 4 monster of the week episodes, and then another conspiracy episode to end it?

I heard 2 mythos, 3 MOTW and the finale is mythos.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

Like I think we aren't suppose to buy into everything that was said, just the stuff about the government is using technology, the 2012 alien invasion was faked, and the alien DNA thing. I don't think we are suppose to agree with Alex JoneHale on every right wing conspiracy or all the stuff Mulder said there.

What I think they are going to go for is after the syndicate was killed by the aliens dudes CSM realized there was a power vacuum and started a new human conspiracy that he hid around a fake 2012 alien invasion.

You know, that reminded me. What the gently caress was up with that operation that they transplanted the alienthing from mulder into CSM? It was like supposed to make him immune or the anti-alien or something? But he just ended up in a wheelchair and eventually waiting for his death in the desert? I still don't understand what even the point of that was.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just want an episode where Skinner mentions that his nanomachines are acting up again

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I thought this was good, not great. Anderson has become Ms Mumbles with her lines and Duchovny was all over the place acting wise, but it's a good start for 10+ year absence.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The x files to me was always great because of the methodical presentation of evidence in such a way that it could intrigue even people who roll their eyes at every conspiracy theory. This was rapid fire answers and questions being asked point blank by characters, not presented by events. This episode tried to do too much, but gently caress it, I'm watching the rest.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

The x files to me was always great because of the methodical presentation of evidence in such a way that it could intrigue even people who roll their eyes at every conspiracy theory. This was rapid fire answers and questions being asked point blank by characters, not presented by events. This episode tried to do too much, but gently caress it, I'm watching the rest.

It was always a hallmark of Chris Carter episodes that he would try to combine like three episodes of ideas into one episode, and it's amusing to see that he hasn't gotten even slightly better at avoiding that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The finale is titled My Struggle 2 and Joel McHale's character comes back for it.

Uhh... hopefully they figured out how to handle it by than?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I'm also glad to see that CSM has been treating his skin condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't really have a problem with the conspiracy not making a whole lot of sense. The X-files myth arc has always been all over the place. I thought where this episode struggled a bit was it moved too fast and they didn't properly build to the conclusions Mulder and Scully came to.

Hopefully now that the catch up is out of the way they were able to churn out a few solid consistent motws. We'll see.

• Locked thread