Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Whatever is fun for the players and advances the story.

I think this is the most important thing a GM should keep in mind. I know it's seems obvious but as a still newish GM it took me to realize I was railroading my player into what I would've done. Oddly enough I was talking to a friend in the games industry about this is a common problem in game design.

On another note I was wondering what you guys use for background music/noise. I've mostly stuck to the movies soundtrack but it would be nice for example to have background noise for a cantina to set the mood. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If everyone is interested in being a fighter pilot, the minutiae of maneuvering may be of enough interest to do that. You'd essentially be playing a campaign of Heroes of the Aturi Cluster with more detailed roleplay between missions.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Madurai posted:

If everyone is interested in being a fighter pilot, the minutiae of maneuvering may be of enough interest to do that. You'd essentially be playing a campaign of Heroes of the Aturi Cluster with more detailed roleplay between missions.

That's pretty much what I'm planning on running for my next campaign. After a brief interlude of Jizz Wailing Blues Brothers in Space.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ShineDog posted:

One of my players wants to investigate playing X-wing for the space combats in this as kind of a test run for using flightpath for our Crimson Skies (Crimson Spies) campaigns air combat.

I'd like the players stats to mean something in terms of X-wing, and I was thinking of something like this. (Obviously this question is only relevant to people that know that game, I assume some of you do.)

"after revealing your dial, you may make a pilot check (difficulty 2) to change your dial. increase the difficulty if your new dial turn also changes direction left/right, or if you select a red maneuver."

I do like X-wing a whole lot, but It feels like it's going to add a whole bunch of time to a fairly fast system though. It's also going to invalidate so many piloting based talents I would have thought.

I wrote up and have been running a conversion system for Eote to X-wing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uRqpFZHiISi5yiP0xD6tbbiiHdoC1W6Ld8HvNLOexV0/edit?usp=sharing

Firstly only do this if everyone in the group enjoys x-wing. It's going to likely increase the length of space combat and it operates under the assumption the players and/or named bad guys are big and special and are just straight better than regular x-wing characters. Use x-wing cards as just special abilities rather than the actual character. It also assumes that a player is going to be controlling at least one ship each. Even the character cant pilot or has stats that are bad for piloting they are still very useful as the baseline for x-wing is still ultimately the base stats of the ship they're in. On top of that to represent the PC part of the ship, its purely going to have more health (I gave them shields to provide critical hit protection along with health) and mod slots

The conversion makes use of the Gunnery and Pilot(Space) skills and the agility stat. These will convert to your PS (Agility + pilot) as well as increase your defence and primary attack values. If you do some number crunch you'll see that characters with 6 ranks in gunnery/ piloting are going to be pretty terrifying in x-wing. I operate under the assumption that getting to that point is a huge deal xp wise and a person who hits that point is essentially one of the best in the galaxy kind of pilot.

It also uses a custom Talent tree to replace the default 'Pilot' that gives you x-wing Elite Pilot Talents instead.

I've not used this extensively so i dont pretend it is perfect and if someone takes everything from the piloting tree they can be pretty scary and be a complicated ship to run. If players start to get more advanced xp wise its important to start using this same system to create piloting nemesis characters, usually using a base X-wing card with the player bonuses.

For example I made a Nemesis character piloting a TIE Fighter using Dark Curse as base template (with 2 extra shield and 1 extra attack) and with a Targeting Computer and Engine Upgrade.

If you try it out please give me some feedback!

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 18, 2016

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

kingcom posted:

I wrote up and have been running a conversion system for Eote to X-wing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uRqpFZHiISi5yiP0xD6tbbiiHdoC1W6Ld8HvNLOexV0/edit?usp=sharing

Hmm, I have a few people who have bemoaned the EotE Space Combat system, but love X-Wing, so I'll see if there's interest in running a Squadron Type game for them, and let you know how it goes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheTofuShop posted:

Hmm, I have a few people who have bemoaned the EotE Space Combat system, but love X-Wing, so I'll see if there's interest in running a Squadron Type game for them, and let you know how it goes.

Personally, I love X-wing, but I think EotE's space combat is kind of abstract and brutal for a reason- setting up an X-wing in the middle of an EotE game sounds really clunky, but if you guys think you'd enjoy it, give it a try.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Personally, I love X-wing, but I think EotE's space combat is kind of abstract and brutal for a reason- setting up an X-wing in the middle of an EotE game sounds really clunky, but if you guys think you'd enjoy it, give it a try.

Yeah I found using it for every vehicle fight is excessive but it works really well whenever you are doing a set piece fight. I got to use it to have 'some of the party are on a station taking out a generator while the other party members are leading not-rogue squadron on the attack'. Have everyone play themselves or an NPC (either trooper or npc ship) as I jumped between the two groups.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've seen another one where you basically replace the manouver stage of the EoTE game with the selection of manouvers in X-wing and then play the EoTE rules from there, just measure range bands in XW and make that short/med/long in the EOTE system.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ShineDog posted:

I've seen another one where you basically replace the manouver stage of the EoTE game with the selection of manouvers in X-wing and then play the EoTE rules from there, just measure range bands in XW and make that short/med/long in the EOTE system.

That would have the additional benefit of using the RPG's system of shields being additional defense dice rather than a big pile of hitpoints.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Madurai posted:

That would have the additional benefit of using the RPG's system of shields being additional defense dice rather than a big pile of hitpoints.

I've always been kind of weirded out by that because you don't get to shout "shields down!" at any point. (Well, on a crit)

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 18, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ShineDog posted:

I'm not super sure how this would even work to be honest.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Hey I wouldn't mind running an ep vi - vii F&D game sometime on Saturdays if the other one doesn't pan out or if more people are interested. I'm free all day but mornings would be better for me so maybe noon est (5 utc) or so would be good so eu folks could join. F&D's the only book I have though and someone with mentor on roll20 would have to make the campaign and transfer it to me, if that still works.

right now I'm thinking 4-5 players in an exploration-focused game, but I'm not going to plan much out right now cus I want to give you guys the mentor/ship/holocron/something else option and that'll greatly influence how we start.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Which of the 3 beginners set adventures is the "best" (if there's any consensus on that)?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't know of any consensus but the Age of Rebellion set has great maps and a great intro to a campaign. The EOTE and F&D ones just teach you the rules.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Which of the 3 beginners set adventures is the "best" (if there's any consensus on that)?

Im not a huge fan of the F&D because its definitely a 'teach you the rules' kinda game. Age of Rebellion is a solid scenario for the lead into something bigger while Edge of the Empire is the best game for everyone to just sit down and run through in a small time frame.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AoR has the best adventure in my opinion, but EotE is the better 'beginner' game. It is probably my favorite of the three naturally, because it encourages characters with slight mixes of skillsets, instead of 'the diplomat'.

I like varied characters, like a mechanic who can fly a ship and shoot okay, but can't do medical worth poo poo, while the doctor is an expert at hacking as well.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
This is a similar question to the one above: I'm a first-time GM running an Edge of the Empire campaign for a mixed group of experienced pen and paper players and people without experience. The beginner game went pretty well, so that's great. Now I would really like to use one of the three premade adventures as at least a base for a long campaign, but I don't want to get one that everyone thinks sucks. What's the consensus of the best of the EotE adventure/campaign books?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

This is a similar question to the one above: I'm a first-time GM running an Edge of the Empire campaign for a mixed group of experienced pen and paper players and people without experience. The beginner game went pretty well, so that's great. Now I would really like to use one of the three premade adventures as at least a base for a long campaign, but I don't want to get one that everyone thinks sucks. What's the consensus of the best of the EotE adventure/campaign books?

Mask of the Pirate Queen is, imo, the best one by far.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Looks like Lead by Example is shipping now after.....no previews.

It'll be interesting to see what they want to do to make Commanders more viable

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheTofuShop posted:

Mask of the Pirate Queen is, imo, the best one by far.

All three feature some big money that the PCs can fail to get or keep, potential recurring characters, and ships/locations they can co-opt.

Beyond the Rim, the big money is hidden and the players may literally walk past it, and their only enemy is the Empire. Obviously the Empire is still a formidable adversary. They could get another ship and a base of operations. Two of the three locations, the PCs are unlikely to ever visit again voluntarily.

In Jewel of Yavin, they are given a very tough choice at the end about what they're willing to do for the big payoff. Lots of location stuff for Cloud City, and it's a complex heist, which might tell you instantly whether your group will like it. There are Hutts and Imperials, which could be allies or enemies, and a link to the Jedi, if you're planning on developing Force-stuff later. Players can get a nice speeder out of it, maybe, and could find a lightsaber crystal. I enjoyed the "mingle at the auction" thing quite a bit and the Cloud City cloud car race required to get into the auction not at all.

In Mask of the Pirate Queen, it is more of a gallery of rogue NPCs, most of which could be an ally or enemy. When one criminal organization (the Zann Consortium) hires you to take out another (Veiled Sorority and its Pirate Queen), you should expect double-crosses and potentially plan some of your own. Players could actually end up in charge of a pirate fleet, so . . . that's a thing. I think this one has the most locations and NPCs that the players might enjoy revisiting, voluntarily or otherwise.

I am biased toward Mask of the Pirate Queen since I did some work on it, but I think Jewel of Yavin also has a strong basis for future adventures.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm thinking of cribbing Blades In the Dark's planification and flashbacks mechanics, because gently caress forever having long pointless sessions where nothing happens. I was thinking of putting flashbacks at 3,4 and 5 stress each considering you can recover some. Does that seems appropriate for those who know how it works in Blades?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Finally finishing up Onslaught at Arda I with my group. I'm skipping over the whole detective part and having the traitor reveal himself after they found him planting something. My guys just don't do well with investigation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Looks like Lead by Example is shipping now after.....no previews.

It'll be interesting to see what they want to do to make Commanders more viable

Well, I paid off a preorder for this at my FLGS. I'll have it day one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ran the Beginner's Box adventure today for the 3 PCs that were able to show up. My players surprised me with creativity a few times and everyone loves the dice system and how it lets you be cinematic and adds to the narrative.

-Convinced Vorn that they were there to get the Hypermatter part for Trex and that Trex would be along shortly to pay him.

-Stole his R5 Droid by removing the restraining bolt, heaving it up a junk pile and over the fence, then the Bothan Doctor stunned him in the back when he came out to investigate the noise. They shoved him in a closet and the Trandoshan Scout emptied his cash register. I was actually going to try and push them towards "freeing" the R5 unit since we were a PC short and none of them had piloting or mechanics but that was pretty much the first thing they decided to do once they were alone with him. The R5 was all too happy to have the restraining bolt removed and go with some people that were probably less abusive than Vorn.

-When they went to Spaceport Control (to get permission to leave with Trax's ship, docking clamps are dumb) they split up; the Mandalorian Human went with R5 to the ship while the other two sneaked into the back door. They flipped a light side point for there to be two spare uniforms in the backroom, one of them grabbed a cup of caf and strolled out like he worked there. The technician nearest was suspicious of the Bothan because she was acting very nervously and sweating so the Trandoshan shoved her back into the room and made up a story that she was a bar floozy. He failed the Deception but used his advantages for an alert to go off on the technician's screen and he went to handle that instead of questioning the PC. The Trandoshan then sat down, spilling his caf on the keyboard.

-Meanwhile the Mandalorian tells the security droids at the spaceport that the R5 is there to install the part and since he's been on the fritz, the PC is there to watch the droid. The security believe him but radio back to Trex who meets them at the boarding ramp. Another successful Deception and Trex gives the payment for the part to the PC and they go in to install the part, with Trex watching the cameras from the front.

-Back at Spaceport Control, the untrained Trandoshan manages to slice clearance codes for the ship in but sets off an alarm, bringing the attention of Overseer Brynn. She demands to know what he is doing, he completely botches the Deception roll, and is thrown out by security droids. He "accidentally" spills the rest of his caf on a vital part of the console to cover his tracks. The Bothan meets him outside where they are spotted by the Stormtroopers who have landed.

-Someone in this thread mentioned their players shooting down the Water Tower on top of the troopers; turns out this is a common tactic! The Bothan shot at it while the Trandoshan ran up and took a few turns to push on it, eventually crushing a trooper that was running to him and washing away the other two, as well as ruining the water for this poor town.

-They cheese it towards the Krayt Fang, where Trex and the Mandalorian are walking down the street after they hear blaster fire and the water tower collapsing. Mandalorian notices the other two running towards the ship from an alley between them, Trex doesn't. They start heading back towards the ship, the PC pulls out his Vibrosword and slams it down into the right shoulder of Trex and throws him facedown into a nearby alley. At the same time the other two PCs reach the entrance and start blasting at the two droids standing guard. A somewhat long fight ensues, which ends with the Mandalorian doing a final crit to put down Trex, crippling his right shoulder and arm and leaving him for dead, then cleaving through the last two security droids.

-They fly away in the ship without checking any rooms, shoot down two TIE Fighters (this was really fast) and fly into hyperspace with whatever coordinates Trex had preset.

So, tl;dr: PCs kill three of Teemo's Gamorrean guards, stun and rob a shopkeeper of his cash and droid, destroy the only water tower in a town run by Teemo, kill a Stormtrooper, ruin a Spaceport Control console, steal credits from and leave a bounty hunter dying in an alley with a crippled arm and then steal his ship and finally blow up two TIE Fighters on their way out. Boy oh boy are they going to be in for it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

That is the correct way to play Edge of the Empire imo.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I just started running the Beginner Box too, but I have twice as many PCs. Most of the session was character creation, so we only got through the first encounter in the cantina, but it seems like the players have their heads in the right place. Everyone managed to hide successfully (Force-sensitive Gungan Thief and Wookiee Outlaw Tech in the closet, Trandoshan Marauder ducked behind the bar, Human Pilot played it cool in a booth, Sullustan Doctor charmed the dancer into letting him onstage to sing while the Rodian Assassin sneaked backstage), and then they wrecked the Gamorrean guards. The Trandoshan charged and cut a pig head clean off with his Czerhander, after which a hail of PC blaster fire cut down a few more, then the Gungan missed with a triumph so we said his shot went wide and hit a fire alarm, panicking the crowd of cantina patrons who rushed out, trampling to death the remaining Gamorrean who had been knocked prone in the doorway.

I have a strong feeling that this party is going to go full murderhobo, but the way all immediately picked up on the fun, abstract ways they could apply their advantages makes me think I probably won't mind too much.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm still not too sure how to work the Obligation system. I gave them all 15 to start, letting them choose based off their background stories and they all took the bonus credits. Should I rework that so they all have obligation to Teemo, maybe with just 5 or so of the obligation they already had and more with Teemo? Does anyone roll at the start of a session to determine which obligation will take precedence?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

So after a long break between adventures (lack of time during the holidays and us playing lots of ImpAss instead) I want to bring the current adventure to a conclusion. Wondering if a more experienced player could give me some advice...

The setting is a modified star wars version of DS9, with a formerly abandoned space station being refurbished by the Corporate Sector. It's parked next to the Maelstrom, based on an old WEG book. It's an dangerous, lightning nebula created by a WMD detonated in the middle of one of the last battles of the Clone war. The survivors became scavengers and pirates over time with a home base deep in the Maelstrom. With it being pretty far from the corporate sector's area of space, they've hired the PCs to track down the pirate's base of operations.

The party is split up (due to some people being unable to come for all of the sessions) so I have some of the party onboard a station defending against pirate invaders with help from a number of captured battle droids and a undercover Imperial Intelligence agent. The rest of the party is aboard a bulk freighter that has basically been built to ion pirate snub fighters, tractor them into the cargo bay and then re-crew them. It proved to be incredibly robust in previous sessions.

There's a pirate CR-90 that is firing on the station and may depart with the captured commander of the station. I need to get the party back together and back aboard their main ship (a YT-2000) and pursuing the CR-90 to the final confrontation with the leader of the pirates in a disabled star destroyer in the center of the maelstrom.

Looking at having the players' ship damaged once they get to the destroyer and they capture and escape aboard the CR-90, which they'd get to keep at the end of the adventure. Would a new ship be too big of a thing to give the party at this point? Still getting the hang of having proper rewards and challenges for the party, which is not especially combat focused.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm still not too sure how to work the Obligation system. I gave them all 15 to start, letting them choose based off their background stories and they all took the bonus credits. Should I rework that so they all have obligation to Teemo, maybe with just 5 or so of the obligation they already had and more with Teemo? Does anyone roll at the start of a session to determine which obligation will take precedence?

We always rolled at the start of the session to see who was getting shafted. We were bad about working it into the narrative and so usually we just called it stress from worrying about [Obligation source].

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

homullus posted:

We always rolled at the start of the session to see who was getting shafted. We were bad about working it into the narrative and so usually we just called it stress from worrying about [Obligation source].

I like to roll at the end of the session, so I've got time to work up some goofy wrench to throw in to things.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

homullus posted:

This is pretty much what we do. Occasionally we'll manage to tie it in during the session, but for the most part it exists as a general "X feels bad about Y thing, and being around X is making you all a bit jumpy".

Our Duty works the same way, but in reverse.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Trilas posted:

I like to roll at the end of the session, so I've got time to work up some goofy wrench to throw in to things.

That sounds great in a "stay tuned for next episode!" kinda cheesy teaser way, too.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Drone posted:

That sounds great in a "stay tuned for next episode!" kinda cheesy teaser way, too.

It is! There's usually some speculation about it as everyone's packing up/heading out. I try to use the extra time to throw in at least something (even if it's just a PC getting a threatening message at the beginning of the session or a short Greedo/Han-type confrontation). It's always fun for me to have a bounty hunter/loan shark/space cop show up at exactly the wrong time.

One of my PC's in my last game had an anime (equivalent) obsession as his Ob, and I'd write up little synopses of the releases he was missing/obsessing over due to his space escapades.

Getting really in to Obligation triggers is a lot of fun; Morality definitely doesn't seem nearly as interesting. I haven't played a game with Duty yet, though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been running F&D, and I pretty consistently forget to apply morality. I just haven't found it adding much to the game. I'm considering bringing in Obligation or Duty soon to substitute, depending on how the players feel.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the info about the three premade adventures.

I was looking through some previews and other reviews of Beyond the Rim and Mask of the Pirate Queen and had this rough idea for a campaign:

-some kind of setup arc where the players are thrown together and narrowly escape some kind of danger, during the course of which they unknowingly assist a member of either a Hutt cartel, or the Zann Consortium, or Black Sun or something. While they narrowly escape, the heat is most definitely on them, and as a way of saying thanks, this underworld figure says he can set them up with a contact on the far side of the sector/galaxy/whatever. This leads us to...

-run through Beyond the Rim

-some filler, monster of the week type smuggling/scoundrel sessions

-the original contact reaches out and begins the Mask of the Pirate Queen adventure

I definitely need to fit in some obligation material, and I want to possibly set up some kind of overarching nemesis, possibly an Imperial official that they narrowly escape from in their initial sessions. That said, for a first-time GM, how does this sound for the skeleton of a campaign?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Thanks for all the info about the three premade adventures.

I was looking through some previews and other reviews of Beyond the Rim and Mask of the Pirate Queen and had this rough idea for a campaign:

-some kind of setup arc where the players are thrown together and narrowly escape some kind of danger, during the course of which they unknowingly assist a member of either a Hutt cartel, or the Zann Consortium, or Black Sun or something. While they narrowly escape, the heat is most definitely on them, and as a way of saying thanks, this underworld figure says he can set them up with a contact on the far side of the sector/galaxy/whatever. This leads us to...

-run through Beyond the Rim

-some filler, monster of the week type smuggling/scoundrel sessions

-the original contact reaches out and begins the Mask of the Pirate Queen adventure

I definitely need to fit in some obligation material, and I want to possibly set up some kind of overarching nemesis, possibly an Imperial official that they narrowly escape from in their initial sessions. That said, for a first-time GM, how does this sound for the skeleton of a campaign?

Sounds good. I recommend leaving the slot for "overarching nemesis" open, since you never know which NPCs the players will latch onto as a nemesis they love to hate. Start them in medias res in a deal gone sour and let them name who their employer was, so you don't have to worry about it yourself. Mask of the Pirate Queen actually begins with a bounty notice OR a contact, so really, any situation where they need money could put them onto that adventure.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

homullus posted:

I'd say that you can use it with good effects by injecting all kind of little details in the gameworld based on what is triggered. Someone has a bounty on them? Points out there are a lot of bounty hunters and other armed thugs in the streets. They don't even look for the PC. There is just lot of them. Nothing really game changing for the most part, but a bit of flavour.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
I realize most of this thread is now devoted to grogging about armada, but has anyone here had any experience with vaguely competitive imperial assault play?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I realize most of this thread is now devoted to grogging about armada, but has anyone here had any experience with vaguely competitive imperial assault play?

We've got a Other FFG Star Wars games thread for things not X-Wing or RPG or Card Game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
poo poo, wrong thread

:suicide: