Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It happened. In fact that is how the series started.

However, after the series tanked in sales they have started to turn NuLobo into Old Lobo. NuLobo is now starting to look pretty savage instead of the perfectly shaven guy from the past few years.

If nuLobo slowly morphed into Lobo One Million, that would be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dang :(

G Willow Wilson posted:

So…as some of you already know, we’re in the midst of a health crisis in my family. I don’t usually make this stuff public, but this may have medium-term ramifications for my travel and appearance schedule, so here goes. My youngest daughter has been diagnosed with a congenital heart defect. Fortunately, it’s reparable, and her longterm prognosis is good, but it will require major surgery. I will in all likelihood be spending much of the remainder of the winter and spring in and out of hospitals. Very sadly, this means I won’t be attending the Conference on World Affairs this year. I’m going to try hard to attend Norwescon as usual, since it’s local (and also my very favoritest convention); I may also be at Emerald City for a day or two, since it is likewise local. I will also try my very damnedest to keep Ms Marvel on schedule. However, this is, of course, all subject to the outcome of the wee one’s surgery and her recovery process. Please keep my little pickle in your thoughts and prayers–she’s in good spirits and has been very brave. And thank you to those of you who’ve already reached out–I love you all. xo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boom boom boom posted:

If nuLobo slowly morphed into Lobo One Million, that would be amazing

Here.

This is how NuLobo looks in the cover

And here is how he actually looks in the story

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If he's not a cigar-smoking idiot who spouts catchphrases, and is instead competent and played straight, it's still not Lobo.

That is a horrible thing to deal with. It seems all the best comic creators have the worst luck.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's so much better. I love Final Fantasy bishounen aesthetic and don't care about Lobo that much, but that :smug: pretty boy kind of honrable dickhead was the antithesis of everything Lobo stood for.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I tried to read the first few issues of NuLobo and while they weren't great comics they were okay. Nothing amazing though and NuBo could get grating after a while. Still no idea why DC wanted to reboot a character like Lobo though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some idiot in a suit didn't get that he was supposed to be a joke character.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

At least we still have Injustice!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone like Savage Dragon? Did anyone, ever? Many years ago, I had the #1 comic back when I was buying as many #1 issues as possible in the early '90s, and then maybe 15 years ago, I had some kind of Sourcebook/Who's Who/"Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe"/Wikipedia-style thick issue that described a lot of the main characters and plots up to #100. Even back then, I was surprised and impressed by the depth of the continuity, the crazy story arcs and unexpected character development, and how one guy was still churning it out after all these years.

Well, my public library's e-book service, Hoopla Digital, has one random Savage Dragon Archives volume (interestingly it's the third one, not the first) and two other random TPBs that are more recent, but not sequential. I'm going to at least try the Archives volume, which I think covers from #50-75, but I just wondered what people thought of it. I know Erik Larsen has made some controversial statements over the years, but from the little I know about it, his shared universe reminds me a little of a less wholesome version of Mike Allred's Madman/Atomics continuity and a less funny version of the Venture Bros. continuity.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

What I've read of Savage Dragon was gloriously stupid. Like, any idea, no matter how crazy, will be put straight on the page, and it works.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wendell posted:

What I've read of Savage Dragon was gloriously stupid. Like, any idea, no matter how crazy, will be put straight on the page, and it works.

This still makes me giggle like a teenager:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Say what you will about SD but at the very least it's been consistently weird as gently caress for the bulk of it's run. It's a shame Larsen doesn't really seem to care anymore.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I don't know if it's fair to say Larsen doesn't care anymore. He's constantly using the book as a vehicle for formal experiments, playing with layout and such. For example, the issue that started with twenty-two panels on page one, decreased panel count each page by one, ending with a splash page on page twenty-two; the issue where each panel represented a day of real time; the issue where every page was nine panels with a completely different layout from the last. He's also experimenting with his art as well, now drawing the book at twice up. And of course, he's always gone bold with his stories, breaking things that can't be unbroken; there are highly identifiable eras of the book: if I say the Kamandi era, you know what I mean; if I say the Calvin and Hobbes era, you know what I mean; if I say the FF era, you know what I mean, and so on.

How much this translates to good or interesting stories is going to vary reader to reader. Also he's never been one to keep his dirty old man sense of humor on the inside, so that poo poo is going to be a turn-off for a lot of people who don't get that he's usually drawing dumb shock stuff to make himself laugh. Even the surprising focus on barely legal threesomes in recent issues made me shake my head and go, "Wtf, Erik."

Still, the early stuff (the first 50-75 issues) are pretty unimpeachable in terms of being the best and most enjoyable example of early Image style. If you like punching, explosions, gross monsters and big boobs, Dragon is probably the best place to go for that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Formal experiments are extremely my jam. Any issues you'd call out as good windows into Larsen's technical creativity? (Don't tell me the absolute best issues; I'd rather not get interested, then find out it's all downhill from what I've seen.)

Also, open question to the thread: Good comics for formal, technical innovation? I'm a dork and a half for interesting layout and lettering, especially, but any kind of playing with the elements of comics would be welcome. Print, web, strip, book—I'm open to any suggestions.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Squizzle posted:

Formal experiments are extremely my jam. Any issues you'd call out as good windows into Larsen's technical creativity? (Don't tell me the absolute best issues; I'd rather not get interested, then find out it's all downhill from what I've seen.)

Also, open question to the thread: Good comics for formal, technical innovation? I'm a dork and a half for interesting layout and lettering, especially, but any kind of playing with the elements of comics would be welcome. Print, web, strip, book—I'm open to any suggestions.

Answer to your first question: issue 7 is maybe the best known one, the all splash page issue. More recently issue 199 was all two page spreads, where he tried to tell a satisfying story in what is essentially ten panels. Issue 202 was the one with all nine panel pages. Issue 144 is the one where each panel represents a day in real time. I can't remember the exact issue where parts of it are done like a daily humor strip, but I want to say 104? Maybe some other folks can remember other experimental issues.

As to your second question: Basically anything by Paul Grist, but especially Jack Staff. If you want interesting layout and lettering as mediums for storytelling, you are not going to find anything better than Jack Staff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

I'm hoping you've read Asterios Polyp, but if not, get on that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I'm hoping you've read Asterios Polyp, but if not, get on that.

This and Habibi is also pretty awesome for layouts.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Squizzle posted:

Dave Sim is probably one of the best letterers in the business. It's difficult to explain just how good the art he and Gerhardt created for Cerebus is, and especially the way he used the language, the word bubble placement, the size of letters, the hand drawn fonts, the types of bubbles...

One has to mention just how much of a political tool the man is whenever he is brought up in conversation, and justifiably so, but from a sheer technical standpoint, the man is a genius.

Examples of lettering:

From the Guys arc

Look at the word placement, the balloon size, the single "No" in a big balloon, the use of italics, the dialogue you need to read outloud to get that its a perfect rendition of a scrouse accent, Paul McCartney whistling musical bars...

Or, from Cerebus 76, foreshadowing much of the rest of the story, which wouldn't happen for another 20+ years

Or, from Latter Days, when the book got very weird and went completely off the rails, Cerebus being interviewed by Woody Allen. Bastard can draw

Or, from Church and State, his ability to blend realism and cartoon (Note the dripping ice on the "Bless You" panel):

And I would be remiss in not mentioning Cerebus #20, which when unstapled and spread out across your floor looks like this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Someone help, my CD thread is being derailed by an argument about what is and isn't a Mary Sue.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

my CD thread

You knew what you were getting into buddy

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Someone help, my CD thread is being derailed by an argument about what is and isn't a Mary Sue.

Just derail the derail by asking if Prometheus is a good movie or not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Start talking about Man of Steel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Personally, I think the worst Joker is

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Easy way to figure out if the Joker is good or bad in live actions. Can you see the Jokers mustache? If yes a good joker. If you can not then its a bad one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Easy way to figure out if the Joker is good or bad in live actions. Can you see the Jokers mustache? If yes a good joker. If you can not then its a bad one.

No don't fall for my joke derail!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't think it was that complicated until the debate about Rey(who I don't think is a Mary Sue) started. And someone was being pedantic with me about it here but I thought that was just regular ol':goonsay:.

zoux posted:

You jest(hah!) but this is actually an interesting question because wanting to say "all of them" and realizing I can't made me think about the few depictions of the Joker I like.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

No don't fall for my joke derail!

Just reminding people that the best joker is 66 Joker.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Start talking about Man of Steel

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Just reminding people that the best joker is 66 Joker.

66 Joker is good if you only watch Joker episodes and relative to other versions of the character, but he was totally overshadowed by the other villains. In particular, the Riddler totally stole the nemesis title on that show-Frank Gorshin was just too drat good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Mark Hamil is the best. Just admit it's his voice you hear whenever you read Joker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Mark Hamil is the best. Just admit it's his voice you hear whenever you read Joker.

Note how I said live action. Hamil is the best Joker overall and yes I do his voice when I read the joker.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

WickedHate posted:

66 Joker is good if you only watch Joker episodes and relative to other versions of the character, but he was totally overshadowed by the other villains. In particular, the Riddler totally stole the nemesis title on that show-Frank Gorshin was just too drat good.

That's kinda like saying chocolate is good, but chocolate with peanut butter is better. Ceasar Romero is amazing, and Frank Gorshin doubly so. Both are a treat to watch, and even if I'm looking forward to the Riddler episodes a bit more, I still grin like hell when the Joker pulls out a bottle of imported Canadian perfume or escapes from Arkham via spring-loaded baseball plate.

I love that show so much.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just want to remind people that this was a thing which happened in part to promote the Batman 66 box set:

God, that was the best part of that game by a mile. Someday I need to go back and finish it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I appreciate that the Brave and the Bold cartoon focused on non-joker villains and only had him in a few episodes, but their version of him was still pretty drat good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They even had an episode where the international Batmen fought the league of foreign Jokers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone watch Lucifer last night? It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I think that proves what the most powerful derail is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

So I think that proves what the most powerful derail is.

Man, you wish. Go take a gander.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Speaking as a person who, years ago, watched the entirety of The Zeta Project: Why the hell did I watch The Zeta Project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Squizzle posted:

This is my shiiiiiiiiitt Check out:

Ray Fawkes - The People Inside: This a graphic novel read through the page. Panel 1 page 1 is followed by panel 1 page 2 and about people meeting each other and breaking up and merging or separating the panels.

Anything by Adrian Tomine - Optic Nerve series: Every issue has 2 short stories and normally something is going on with them.

Jason - Meow Baby: If you like structural stuff get on Jason. Meow baby is often overlooked but it is the most interesting. It is a collection 3-4 panel strips that swirl around and start kinda telling one story

trashbuilder fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 26, 2016

• Locked thread