Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't the abomination shift back when he's afflicted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I avoided trying out the Grave Robber for a while because I didn't see the hotness on a quick look over and jesus there is already enough to learn. But holy gently caress this one I made is deadly with the right equipment. Siren boss got hosed sideways by good ole Jazzy. Stunned the party member that got charmed, then dodged two takeover attempts directed at her.

I can only imagine what the possibilities are after working it camp bonuses. This is just at level 3! I have big hopes for you, Jazzy!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Doesn't the abomination shift back when he's afflicted?

a negative affliction, yah

abomination is a pretty fun but barring him from running with some guys is an annoyance. i mean yeah it kind of makes sense from a fluff standpoint but on the other hand i dont think there's a real gameplay purpose to it, like stopping some broken combo

id honestly think itd be better if the holy crew just had a constant affliction type deal with them. refusing to heal, constant nagging, etc. that'd actually be an interesting sort of thing to deal with on its own; a character that just inspires animosity from others.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Chomp8645 posted:

I can only imagine what the possibilities are after working it camp bonuses. This is just at level 3! I have big hopes for you, Jazzy!

In spite of all that dodge, she will still be hit in the face with a tree for her entire health bar. Enjoy.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Every time that fucker swings a tree, my heart skips a beat but it gets dodged. I haven't been hit by it since early access.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FreeKillB posted:

Every time that fucker swings a tree, my heart skips a beat but it gets dodged. I haven't been hit by it since early access.

Ugh, you lucky son of a gun. He regularly smacks my units around for 20+ damage, then shuffles them without fail. :argh:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

a negative affliction, yah

I had him get afflicted once and still be able to transform. Maybe it still works if he's abusive?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

He meant if you're transformed and hit 100 stress, he turns back to human.

A lot of us aren't saying "you need to suffer like we did", we're saying "you're complaining about a mechanic that is actually good once you learn the game". People are more than willing to talk about party comps, general strategy, specific bosses, and more in order to help facilitate people explicitly *not* suffering like we did while learning it. Some people also enjoy that process, but I realize that a lot don't.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

packetmantis posted:

I had him get afflicted once and still be able to transform. Maybe it still works if he's abusive?

perhaps; i dont remember which one I received, but it blocked the use of the ability. might be linked to having 100+ stress, since being virtuous knocks down your stress meter a fair deal.

virtues are weird; it feels like theres some kind of unknowable factors going into it since sometimes you just get a whole crew of guys blazing like little torches in the night. my fatal camp experience had the last two survivors go all heroic, which was pretty :smith: of them. suppose that's just how the rng goes sometimes, though, since I imagine it's just a flat % chance.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the curio thing is pretty silly; i dont really know why the devs think hiding information from the player is interesting to deal with

like if they just had the % chance of things happening and you got to pick what to do, and using an item helped mitigate the risk, that'd be better than "oh hey i can either eat poo poo until the game runs out of gotchas or just use an external resource and move on with my life". so maybe there'd be actual interesting choices involved once you realize which curios exist to make you miserable and which ones give you a 30% damage boost or w/e

i guess its a bit more old school but imo that kind of gameplay mechanic was buried alive for a good reason

e: and yeah i dont really care how much the game goes on about expendability, replacing guys after a wipe is actually pretty painful and boring. itd be nice to be able to pay money or something to just get a higher level guy straight off instead of going through the lowbie dungeons again and again. especially when they keep picking up the goddamn yips for the nth loving time

nigga why do you play this game

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The one complaint I have about curio interactions is not being able to right click on an item to auto-use it. Click and dragging is such a chore.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
No! Reynauld was eaten in the Hag's pot. But I got a restraining lock from the battle.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gabriel Pope posted:

I could've sworn I successfully retreated from a shambler one time after that change was put in. You definitely can't retreat for a round or two, because all surprise attacks do that now, but I think it eventually unlocks the retreat option?

Really? What's the point of the dumb "void zone" then? I thought I tried to retreat half way through the fight and the icon was grayed out but now I don't remember.

Lame, I could have avoided that wipe then. TMYK

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
terrors may indeed stalk these shadows - but yonder, a glint of gold

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Firstborn posted:

nigga why do you play this game

i play blood bowl too

its uh, its not a healthy reason, whatever it is

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really want to get into Bloodbowl but I like the Warhammer part and not the football part.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i lost a match because once because dwarf dodged then completed a long pass

few horrors in this world can compare

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

FreeKillB posted:

I loving hate that tree swinging mongoloid. There's no reason it should hit a champion level hero for their entire healthbar

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i lost a match because once because dwarf dodged then completed a long pass

few horrors in this world can compare

:stonk: Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Those spear dudes in the cove are the loving worst. I lost one of my level 5 Hellions because she got crit for about 30 damage twice in a row. They also have 8 speed and nearly 30 dodge.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Hag is literally the worst boss. There are stronger ones, but no other one made me scream "THIS IS BULLSHIT!" when playing.

The only other occasion when this happened was when I finished mapping a corridor in the Weald and was backtracking with a severely wounded team to the place where I was about to camp. Of course, the rear end in a top hat bandits spawned. To add insult to injury, my best character withstood 6 Death Doors, then the Occultist healed him for 0 HP and made him Bleed, which ended the poor bastard when he was about to move.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, time to level another Vestal up to level 6 as well. What exactly is the crit chance for enemies?

Edit: Also, what's the best way of leveling up 2 level 0 characters when the rest of the roster mostly consists of level 5+? Just drag them along on level 5 missions?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Operant posted:

I loving hate that tree swinging mongoloid. There's no reason it should hit a champion level hero for their entire healthbar

well you go get hit by a fuckin tree and report back on how you feel

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Welp, time to level another Vestal up to level 6 as well. What exactly is the crit chance for enemies?

Edit: Also, what's the best way of leveling up 2 level 0 characters when the rest of the roster mostly consists of level 5+? Just drag them along on level 5 missions?

:stare: Hell no. Get two other level 0s from the coach and if you have the Ancestor Item that gives +50% XP, alternate it between them. They'll level up slightly faster that way.

I've taken Level 3s and 4s to Level 5 dungeons on occasion, but bringing 0s along is suicide.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Their roster is probably maxed out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the roster is full, so I can't hire more until I open up some more positions. I guess I'll just do level 5 dungeons until I lose someone else, but I was kind of wanting for healers already.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, the roster is full, so I can't hire more until I open up some more positions. I guess I'll just do level 5 dungeons until I lose someone else, but I was kind of wanting for healers already.

Well... maybe now is the time to go into the Darkest Dungeon, since even if you lose people there will be a silver lining.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Beat my first shambler. and all it cost me was madness and the life of my arbalest

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Fun fact I learned the hard way yesterday: The Hag's "grab a hero for the pot" free action is guaranteed to go first no matter what the relative Speeds are. Well, guess what happens if, after a hero gets spat out of the pot on Death's Door, and then she crits your entire party with the meat mallet as the last action in the round, so that all the survivors are on Death's Door as the round refreshes?

Yep. She still gets a guaranteed first turn, not to grab a hero (as she can't grab them on death's door), but with her mallet. Which felt like critting again.

Wipe ensues.

Motherfucking Hag. gently caress. loving gently caress.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the slow, inevitable decline

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There should've been an achievement for making a skeleton bleed.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the slow, inevitable decline

What does that do game - wise?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Gantolandon posted:

What does that do game - wise?

Lurker gives you +2 Speed in 25 or lower Light situations, so it's good. Nymphomania is +20% stress heal when visiting the Brothel which is pretty pointless once you're at Champion level since you likely have a relaxation activity maxed out that takes away 100 stress no questions asked.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

busb posted:

How much of a benefit is the ++loot from low light?

like if you're stomping a dungeon is it ever worth it? or will the increased stress/damage make it always a bad choice?

I find loot++ worthwhile, in fact i did 0 light runs for everyone from R0-R2 unless i was confronting a boss - everyone at those ranks is disposable and it saves you some torch money. If you have a trinket that reduces surprise chance it helps quite a bit, since the surprise attacks are probably what makes a run nosedive quickly - either that or make sure you have a very mobile group. The stress hit from low light can be annoying, but remember you get +crit in the dark and make sure to bring some heavy critters (such as arbalest, or highwayman with pistol shot, grave robber etc). Short runs are very doable in the dark, mediums don't often need it with how much stuff you naturally find in that length. I haven't done a long one with low light yet, but i imagine it just isn't worthwhile - i guess you can prioritize loot so you have nothing but rubies and sapphires or w/e instead of lovely stacks of jade/citrine.

Also the flesh beast is incredibly easy with a plague doc, like for real a 4-spot monster that shares one health bar is incredibly susceptible to being blighted to death with plague bombs. I think that guy was tailor made to make you bring a plague doctor. (Not that i have a problem with that since out of my 25-man roster i have 4 plague docs because they are awesome.) I actually didn't play the EA game for a while and the only bosses i'd ever fought to that point were the standard necromancer, hag, and pig king dude.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The houndmaster applying bleed to every part is also pretty good against the flesh boss.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as long as the enemy you're facing isn't resistant to Blight then the Plague Doctor is the best character in the game. Stacking 10 damage per turn blights plus a shuffling stun that can clear corpses is great. Such a turnaround from when the game was in its early stages and I never felt the PD was worth it. I think they've buffed her big time + lowered resistances of all enemies since then.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Megasabin posted:

You don't like the game because you are self imposing a needless loss condition on yourself, and starting over from scratch every time.
Needless? You get a sweet cheevo for beating the game with Reynaud and Dismas.

:shepface:

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
I love the Plague Doctor, especially paired with Occultist. Between them they can destroy a back pair before they even get chance to act.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
what's a worse random mob encounter -- four spearfishing dudes, or four rabid dogs?

Because the spearfishing dudes hit hard and fast but the dogs at higher levels are all DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

what's a worse random mob encounter -- four spearfishing dudes, or four rabid dogs?

Because the spearfishing dudes hit hard and fast but the dogs at higher levels are all DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE

spear dudes hit way harder and seem to do more damage overall

MinibarMatchman posted:

as long as the enemy you're facing isn't resistant to Blight then the Plague Doctor is the best character in the game. Stacking 10 damage per turn blights plus a shuffling stun that can clear corpses is great. Such a turnaround from when the game was in its early stages and I never felt the PD was worth it. I think they've buffed her big time + lowered resistances of all enemies since then.

I've actually always been keen on the PD, i found him super useful in general just by way of that back row stun even in the early days of EA. My groups always do way better with her along and even more so after getting that very rare stun/blight trinket - with that she can get around the blight resistance of the stuff that starts at 65-70% resistance, which makes her even more useful in the weald since she can reliably blight the shrooms (that is if i don't stun them)