Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Based on the one demo I had of it, it seemed no worse than STAW.

The faint praise here is intentional.

I kind of felt like "armor" worked like shields should have in STAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Was it literally just dragons flying around? Like, the whole game was just "What if X-Wing, but dragons?" I legitimately don't know. Did they introduce new colors of dragons in successive waves? Did it even have waves?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It shares a lot of flaws with STAW but they added in gimmicks like ground units and most of them suck.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Kai Tave posted:

Was it literally just dragons flying around? Like, the whole game was just "What if X-Wing, but dragons?" I legitimately don't know. Did they introduce new colors of dragons in successive waves? Did it even have waves?

I saw a ballista once. I don't really know how that would fit into it but there it was.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It has 10 waves IIRC. You have different colours of dragons, but you get other flying creatures as well. There are also ground troops which was the only thing that actually interested me, but nobody actually played it and it was a Wizkids game so :shrug: They have released some big dragons as well which look kind of cool: bahamut, tiamat and some huge brass dragon as well.

How did armour work?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

There was ground poo poo, too. Like giants, and trebuchets and poo poo. And I guess you could land and claw at the ground stuff, and some of it could shoot up at the dragons? And there were other flying baddies besides dragons like wyverns and ghosts and pegasii and poo poo. Apparently there are/were 10 waves?

IDK I'm not an expert on the dragon one.

I will say that at least the dragon miniatures mostly looked decent out of the box. There was some actual effort there. Not as good as wangs, but closer to wangs than trekships.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

It has 10 waves IIRC.

Holy poo poo what? How? Who bought ten waves of this stuff?

quote:

and it was a Wizkids game

Oh, never mind. Ten waves is like, what, a month's worth of releases?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

How did armour work?

iirc it prevented damage on a per attack/per round? basis, and regenerated at the end of the turn, but there were some attacks that specifically broke it so it didn't function for the rest of the game or until some other effect restored it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

lol

quote:

Drow Elf Ranger Expansion Pack

Drizzt Do’Urden is a drow ranger who has embarked on countless adventures over the years. A master of two-weapon combat, Drizzt wields two scimitars, Twinkly and Icingdeath, with remarkable speed and precision. He can also strike his enemies from afar with the bow Taulmaril when needed. His greatest ally is his astral panther, Guenhwyvar, whom he summons to our world using a figurine of wondrous power.

When the gold dragon Pacatus asks Drizzt to return an old favor, the drow agrees cautiously, knowing that dragons are sometimes mixed up in quite serious affairs. Drizzt is not mistaken. Even now the drow ranger leads a force of creatures into the fabled courtyard of Luminos the cloud giant, hoping to find a way deeper into the palace before the Cult of the Dragon arrives. But the cult arrives all too soon, and a great battle commences inside the majestic courtyard!

Contents: 10 Cards, 24 Tokens, 1 Maneuver Dial, 1 Painted Plastic Creature with Plastic Connector

I wonder what Drizzt Dourderns maneuver dial looks like?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Otisburg posted:

iirc it prevented damage on a per attack/per round? basis, and regenerated at the end of the turn, but there were some attacks that specifically broke it so it didn't function for the rest of the game or until some other effect restored it.
That sounds pretty neat and seems to fit about D&D and ST better than X-Wing in terms of how the mechanisms work. This is what I find infuriating about Wizkids, they can get good rulesets out there (even though yeah, they took the flightpath system from FFG) but all of their other stuff (balancing, tournament structure, card interactions, quality assurance, model design/quality etc) is just shite.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

That sounds pretty neat and seems to fit about D&D and ST better than X-Wing in terms of how the mechanisms work. This is what I find infuriating about Wizkids, they can get good rulesets out there (even though yeah, they took the flightpath system from FFG) but all of their other stuff (balancing, tournament structure, card interactions, quality assurance, model design/quality etc) is just shite.

One of the many little things the bugged me about STAW was that there were literally dozens of cards with some variation of wording that was like "If you are at range X of an enemy ship with no active shields you may disable your remaining shields and (discard/disable) this card to (disable/discard a crew upgrade, "steal" an upgrade, etc).

Conceptually it represented beaming over a boarding party to do dirt. It was a fine, thematic thing on a Star Trek game (if a bit underpowered out the gate). And it was so prevalent a sub-mechanic it's fully weird that they didn't just keyword it to Boarding action to save time and tighten things up. "Discard this card to perform a boarding action against a ship at range X for Y effect" to save having to explain exactly how it worked on every single card with shields and everything.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Otisburg posted:

There was ground poo poo, too. Like giants, and trebuchets and poo poo. And I guess you could land and claw at the ground stuff, and some of it could shoot up at the dragons? And there were other flying baddies besides dragons like wyverns and ghosts and pegasii and poo poo. Apparently there are/were 10 waves?

IDK I'm not an expert on the dragon one.

I will say that at least the dragon miniatures mostly looked decent out of the box. There was some actual effort there. Not as good as wangs, but closer to wangs than trekships.
Yeah, some of the dragons were nice, this is Bahamut:

I would actually buy this.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Your fleet is hit by a graviton surge and is pulled through a funnel into the void, a region of space that is devoid of stars and planets. This anomaly is a closed structure encased by an inert layer of subspace. The outer circumference is approximately 9 light years and matter and energy cannot penetrate it. In addition, your ships are being drained of energy at 10 times the normal rate. Suddenly, you find yourself attacked by other ships that are trapped in the void and your food and technological resources are being stolen by the attacking ships. All new arrivals always try to escape the void, but nothing seems to be able to breach it. And so, they all turn into thieves and killers. Welcome to the void.

The Star Trek: Attack Wing – The Void OP Kit includes everything a store needs to run an event supporting 10 players including:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wizkids have become self-aware, abort, abort!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's funny how they come up with all these high concept scenario ideas and then execute them so shittily.

In part because in order to make it into a tournament event with swiss rounds you have to basically go with the conceit that the primary objective is to kill the other guy and saving the whales or keeping sauron from using the sun crusher missile or whatever is just a side objective, and usually one that's not worth distracting yourself from killing the other guy to bother with.

And in part because they just half-rear end it, and every scenario ends up with dozens of cards that interact with the objectives and conditions in unclear and unclarified ways.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's just part of the immersion factor of STAW, they want you and your opponent to :technobabble: your way into shaping the rules in a way that is favourable to you. They think of everything. Also the confusion that you feel when reading the rules is the confusion that the characters in Star Trek feel when they find something weird and alien.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

That's just part of the immersion factor of STAW, they want you and your opponent to :technobabble: your way into shaping the rules in a way that is favourable to you. They think of everything. Also the confusion that you feel when reading the rules is the confusion that the characters in Star Trek feel when they find something weird and alien.

I like that. It's art. It's thematic in the same way as Arkham horror. Sadly, it doesn't translate well for board gamers where we have trouble pantomiming clues for party games, much less full blown method acting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Star Trek isn't even giving out cardboard tokens with their OP kits anymore and is dead before the year is out, calling it.

Meanwhile X-Wing is having a goddamn eight nation, 3 day open tournament with the top 8 getting a ticket to Celebration.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I honestly don't understand WizKids. The cost of actually making a balanced system can't be that much greater than an unbalanced system.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PJOmega posted:

I honestly don't understand WizKids. The cost of actually making a balanced system can't be that much greater than an unbalanced system.

When they went to monthly releases maps almost exactly to about the time balance went out the window, though the biggest offender was IIRC the last of the bimonlthy releases.

The hilarious thing is that it feels like they overshot the mark so much that they're wildly over-correcting now, and each release seems to be a thematic ship you would never actually put on the table, and a bunch of upgrades that are either well below the meta or quite literally "existing upgrade, but objectively, literally worse."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, for a game like X-wing, it kind of is, because the play testing has to be extensive, time-consuming and expensive in order to achieve balance, and the more ships you add the harder it gets. It's relatively cheap to just come up with a bunch if cards, not even check what is present already (lol @ corborite manuever), package that stuff and release it. X-wing has gaps of at least 4 months if not more between waves, wizkids had 1 month gaps, cause they just had to squeeze that cash cow dry before people wised up. All the extra time spent on X-wing is time spent pay testing and FFG are almost starting to become better at it as time progresses because they have institutional knowledge of their products.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Flight Path was never a good fit for Star Trek anyway. Trek's rare battles were never dogfights. Even if FFG snapped up the Trek license and set out to make STAW, it would still be a poor Trek game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Flight Path was never a good fit for Star Trek anyway. Trek's rare battles were never dogfights. Even if FFG snapped up the Trek license and set out to make STAW, it would still be a poor Trek game.

If FFG had the Trek liscence they would have made something like Armada... but not exactly like, since fighters aren't a "thing" in Trek.

Ironically, fighters are TOTALLY a "thing" in STAW, to where a very competitive build is 3 stands of fighters and the bare minimum requisite "carrier" ships for them." They came up with some silver-bullet style fighter hate upgrades to address this, and promptly released them via limited release event boosters that are in short supply. :toot:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 28, 2016

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Eh, flight path is fine, it simply couldn't be a carbon copy of Wangs. A lot of 3 and 4 turns, firing arcs on the sides. The default could have been x-wing large bases (knife Fighters like defiant being small based), but that would have cost money.

The base difference, that of each ship being crew heavy, gave a good point of differentiation. But the rest? Garbage.

Also, additional playtesting time means more time between products, yes. But it also means lower production costs, higher player retention, etc, etc. WizKids is feeling a lot like late 90s AEG with their stupid levels of churn. Which didn't work for AEG releasing a different game every couple of months and certainly won't work now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I would have preferred the directional shields/shield repair, more tactical feel of Armada for a Star Trek game. Having to reinforce certain shields sectors feels very treky to me (mostly because I was a fan of Starfleet Command). As well as that, the different coloured attack dice for Armada fit well with the variety of different weapon types that Star Trek have, what with disruptors, phasers and photon torpedoes, which all could be represented by different dice, much like in Armada you have red for turbolasers, blue for ion cannons and black for ordnance. It would fit so well and even considering that, I still wouldn't want Wizkids to make an Armada-like game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I mean, Marvel at the very least must want the miniatures license back, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, Marvel at the very least must want the miniatures license back, right?

Mmmmmmmmmmayyyyybe? I don't really know what's up with the Marvel side of Disney/Marvel these days with regard to nerd game licenses and the like. Disney seems perfectly happy to let FFG be FFG and produce every Star Wars game they can conceive of, but the last Marvel licensed tabletop game was the Marvel Heroic line published by Margaret Weiss which was unceremoniously terminated after what people assumed was Marvel suddenly and without a lot of forewarning jacking the license fees out of MWP's reach. There was an announcement followed by a one week deadline and then every MWP product was pulled from digital distribution. A couple supplements were in the pipeline when it came down, so it really was pretty sudden. I'm not saying it's not Marvel's prerogative to do so if they feel like it, it just kind of came out of left field. They don't seem to give much of a poo poo about Clix though, so either the right hand doesn't care what the left hand is doing or Clix sells well enough that Marvel's content to let it ride, Wizkids quality be damned.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nm

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

double nm

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

Having to reinforce certain shields sectors feels very treky to me

Shuffling energy tokens around should be like half of the gameplay in a star trek space battle game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

shield quadrants is pretty common when people try going hog wild with modifying it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Otisburg posted:

shield quadrants is pretty common when people try going hog wild with modifying it.
polishing_a_turd.txt

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Change the thread to reference Armada instead :riker:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I forgot about the :riker: emote, but it is perfect for this thread. Maybe a mix of that and :techno:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I would have preferred the directional shields/shield repair, more tactical feel of Armada for a Star Trek game. Having to reinforce certain shields sectors feels very treky to me (mostly because I was a fan of Starfleet Command). As well as that, the different coloured attack dice for Armada fit well with the variety of different weapon types that Star Trek have, what with disruptors, phasers and photon torpedoes, which all could be represented by different dice, much like in Armada you have red for turbolasers, blue for ion cannons and black for ordnance. It would fit so well and even considering that, I still wouldn't want Wizkids to make an Armada-like game.

Yeah. Not saying armada wouldn't be better, but flight path certainly should have been able to work. If only WizKids wasn't comically inept.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FFG is cool and good. I'm legit happy to have a game company that doesn't actively screw me at every stage of the process. Hell the rules and balance are so tight I don't even care the business model is focused on getting me to buy all the things. I know everything I buy is going to be at worst a cool model and some new abilities for the ships I like. Buy wangs and armas.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Somewhere, a copy of Star Fleet Battles lies disused, weeping.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Madurai posted:

Somewhere, a copy of Star Fleet Battles lies disused, weeping.

God, I'd kill for arcade mode SFB with STAW models.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
You could take the Flight path engine and make a rules compendium that is remotely balanced. Not familiar with SFB but it shouldn't be impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

• Locked thread