Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

rabidsquid posted:

In my experience I generally don't give a huge poo poo about a Stony Silence compared to Hurkyls

Having played (mox-less)affinity against a junk mono-w build with main Stony Silences, I can say that it's pretty hilarious when they drop the silence and give you a poo poo eating grin before you beat them down with a high powered ornithopter before flinging it at the dome. "What silence?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Man_alive posted:

Having played (mox-less)affinity against a junk mono-w build with main Stony Silences, I can say that it's pretty hilarious when they drop the silence and give you a poo poo eating grin before you beat them down with a high powered ornithopter before flinging it at the dome. "What silence?!"

Alternatively, tapping my mox in response for W, letting it resolve, playing Wear//Tear. Have had opponents concede on the spot.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

rabidsquid posted:

Modern is a stupid format.

Fixed for accuracy.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess it stops you from "drawing" Torrent Elemental/Misthollow Griffin. It also means your opponent doesn't get to see your whole decklist though.

do they actually need to be face up to play from exile?

VVVVVVV Danke

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 25, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Molybdenum posted:

do they actually need to be face up to play from exile?

Yes, because face down cards outside the battlefield don't have characteristics including the rule text "you may cast this card from exile."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I think slightly bad is a bit of an understatement. It's a "did I draw my sideboard card" match which are all loving stupid if you ask me
How many Affinity matchups are not this

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Man_alive posted:

What was that 'Thopter empowered by? If it had plating already they should have known Silence doesn't get it done. Or was it Ensoul Artifact?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm pretty surprised that there was no Tron in that modern top 8... What i'm not surprised at is Painful Truths top 8'ing in Legacy again. The card is gas.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty surprised that there was no Tron in that modern top 8... What i'm not surprised at is Painful Truths top 8'ing in Legacy again. The card is gas.

hm.... smells like someone is losing a bet

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
yeah proper posting incoming. i didn't realize this card was so good, i mean it top 8'd a classic that was won by best deck in the format goblins even!!

e: srs as a said in the other thread it seems like it found a spot as a roleplayer but i wouldn't start with it the 75 of a random deck that could cast it until testing showed it was necessary, def never making my 60

black potus fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 25, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

yeah proper posting incoming. i didn't realize this card was so good, i mean it top 8'd a classic that was won by best deck in the format goblins even!!

e: srs as a said in the other thread it seems like it found a spot as a roleplayer but i wouldn't start with it the 75 of a random deck that could cast it until testing showed it was necessary, def never making my 60

Whats the count on this now?

gwrtheyrn posted:

UW gets stony silence / kataki if they want it, but I don't know if that really helps enough. Really most merfolk decks could probably get away with splashing kataki with 4 wanderwine + vials if they really wanted

Kataki is a lot worse against affinity post-Origins considering they have a sideboard option to kill small guys that also helps mitigate stony silence.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 25, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
3/5 i think

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

black potus posted:

3/5 i think

Didn't it need to be a 100 person tournament at minimum? Either way I have a hard time counting a 1-of in the sideboard.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I'm not at all surprised by the former. Tron is fantastically simple to hate out compared to Twin and people putting the same amount of sideboard space they used for Twin against Tron is just going to crush constantly until people forget about it and dedicate space to our new Affinity and Merfolk overlords. The entire history of GR Tron has been upswings followed by being banished to the land of wind and ghosts by sideboards until people forget (so i guess it's the dredge of modern), the only difference is everybody assumed the upswing was going to happen before it actually did this time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Except at my FNM, where I was even able to beat our local molten vortex life from the loam 4x ghost quarter in the main burn deck for the first time ever thanks to moving to two forests (and using a pair of Warping Wails to ramp out a Wurmcoil with assorted nonsense lands after getting double GQed)

it was fun, even if that was a very silly use case for warping wail and i didn't get to test it for what it is primarily used to do

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Legacy Weapon should be in this format so the Eldrazi could actually have been destroyed for good by rainbow lasers

Isn't the legacy weapon still build into Karn or something, somehow?

JerryLee posted:

Why would they need to make a new one, let alone an even better one? Since rare/mythic reprints in expansion sets (with the same art, even!) are now kosher in this post-core-set world, why not just reprint Karn Liberated whenever Karn shows back up? Ordinarily the answer to that question would be "because they want to move packs with something new and exciting," but given how high the demand for KL already is, you'd think their marketing department would prefer reprinting a sure thing to trying to roll the dice on making a new Karn.

Of course, you could say the same thing about LotV, and we all see how eager they are to do that.
We're never getting reprint planeswalkers in Standard now that core sets are gone. Don't underestimate the creative department and their desire to make the marquee chase mythics new cards rather than someone everyone's seen before. Remember that there's a huge audience of casual players they're catering to, not just Modern grinders.

Modern Masters III is probably the only hope for a Liliana of the Veil reprint any time in the foreseeable future.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UberJew posted:

I'm not at all surprised by the former. Tron is fantastically simple to hate out compared to Twin and people putting the same amount of sideboard space they used for Twin against Tron is just going to crush constantly until people forget about it and dedicate space to our new Affinity and Merfolk overlords. The entire history of GR Tron has been upswings followed by being banished to the land of wind and ghosts by sideboards until people forget (so i guess it's the dredge of modern), the only difference is everybody assumed the upswing was going to happen before it actually did this time.

I find Tron to be extremely resilient against most of the hate that people play. Affinity is a rough matchup but Merfolk is like 80% in your favor.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. Main decking a ghost quarter or two has helped me both slow down greedy mana bases, and quarter my own poo poo in response to land death. The cool thing is now I can take out my spellskites and try out thought-knot seers because twin is gone. Stony silence is ok hate I guess, but it's not as good as people think it is and blood moon is a dead draw against me as far as I'm concerned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea. Main decking a ghost quarter or two has helped me both slow down greedy mana bases, and quarter my own poo poo in response to land death. The cool thing is now I can take out my spellskites and try out thought-knot seers because twin is gone. Stony silence is ok hate I guess, but it's not as good as people think it is and blood moon is a dead draw against me as far as I'm concerned.

Ghost Quartering your own Urza land in resp to a Crumble to Dust is a total thing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I find Tron to be extremely resilient against most of the hate that people play. Affinity is a rough matchup but Merfolk is like 80% in your favor.

Merfolk is a hugely favored matchup, yeah. I didn't mean to imply those matchups are specifically the bad ones for Tron, just that when the entire field overreacted to Tron I wasn't surprised it was those decks (where the sideboard answers have absolutely no overlap with sideboard answers to Tron, both of which are also happy to have Twin out of the picture) that rose to the top.

mcmagic posted:

Ghost Quartering your own Urza land in resp to a Crumble to Dust is a total thing.

Yeah, every G/R Tron deck has maindecked at least 1 Ghost Quarter (and I'm back to 1 from 2 to make room for a second forest, as I didn't want to cut a Grove and lose a red source for pyroclasm in the current environment) largely for this (against Sowing Salt, before Crumble) for ages. I'm honestly more worried about a Ghost Quarter + Extirpate effect than a Crumble to Dust in most situations (and the upswing in Ghost Quarters is why I added a second basic)

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 25, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My biggest worry for Merfolk is now that Twin is gone, RG Tron and Affinity get to run rampant, both of which are horrible matchups for Merfolk.

Hurkyl's doesn't do enough, and I can't think of anything that blows RG Tron out of the water that a mono blue deck can sideboard in.

Steel Sabotage only stops O Stone and Wurmcoil, Karn is still an issue, ditto for Ugin.

And now there's an instant speed Pyroclasm running around that can even wipe the board when you have multiple lords when they drop an Eldrazi Titan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

My biggest worry for Merfolk is now that Twin is gone, RG Tron and Affinity get to run rampant, both of which are horrible matchups for Merfolk.

Hurkyl's doesn't do enough, and I can't think of anything that blows RG Tron out of the water that a mono blue deck can sideboard in.

Steel Sabotage only stops O Stone and Wurmcoil, Karn is still an issue, ditto for Ugin.

And now there's an instant speed Pyroclasm running around that can even wipe the board when you have multiple lords when they drop an Eldrazi Titan.

FWIW I don't think Kozilek's Return is good in GR Tron, especially vs Merfolk. 2 damage to each creature isn't going to do much, especially on t3. You need hard removal vs them. Ugin or O Stone.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Just play Back to Basics. :v:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Count Bleck posted:

In my matches with the merfolk player at my LGS, I've found that the first Hurkyl's may or may not be enough, but the second one often is. With respect to Kozilek's Return, if RG Tron is casting Ulamog or Emrakul, you have other things to worry about.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Kozilek's Return is way, way worse than Pyroclasm against Merfolk. You'll usually kill something, and sometimes even two somethings if you can drop it on turn 2. On turn 3 they're so much more likely to have a second lord/cursecatcher/spell pierce available.

That's in addition to my general beef with Kozilek's Return that you can't cast it on curve with a finisher or o-stone like you can with Pyroclasm

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

Kozilek's Return is way, way worse than Pyroclasm against Merfolk. You'll usually kill something, and sometimes even two somethings if you can drop it on turn 2. On turn 3 they're so much more likely to have a second lord/cursecatcher/spell pierce available.

That's in addition to my general beef with Kozilek's Return that you can't cast it on curve with a finisher or o-stone like you can with Pyroclasm

You have to get it's "flashback" in order for it to be good and that is hard to do before dying since you'd need to cast in first on T3 with a red and then have tron soon after to cast a fatty before you die. World Breaker is the card you have to be playing in Tron from OGW.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

suicidesteve posted:

Just play Back to Basics. :v:

Print it into modern and it'll go straight into my deck. Kind of hoses yourself against choke and boil but who cares

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

You have to get it's "flashback" in order for it to be good and that is hard to do before dying since you'd need to cast in first on T3 with a red and then have tron soon after to cast a fatty before you die. World Breaker is the card you have to be playing in Tron from OGW.

I can't see a place to cut anything for World Breaker. I don't want it over newlamog or wurmcoil, nor do I think I can justify cutting spellskite.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

I can't see a place to cut anything for World Breaker. I don't want it over newlamog or wurmcoil, nor do I think I can justify cutting spellskite.

My current build moved 1x Ugin to the board with 1x in the Main and cut the Emrakul for 2x World Breakers main. It's that good.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What does merfolk side in against skred red? There's a handful at my LGS and that match up is horrible.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

My current build moved 1x Ugin to the board with 1x in the Main and cut the Emrakul for 2x World Breakers main. It's that good.

I already cut Emrakul for a second newlamog (and it has proven a very good move), so I could at best fit in the one. I happen to have one that I opened, so I'll give it a shot. What does it end up doing for you, over the other finishers?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What does merfolk side in against skred red? There's a handful at my LGS and that match up is horrible.

Um, bring in an additional kira if they have one in the board, some amount of counter magic, probably a mix of unified will/negate/dispel in trade for harbinger/phantasmal images, and then just go to town. Honestly it should be a pretty even matchup all in all., especially since merfolk has Master of Waves as a good trump card.

If you fear artifact removal, you might want to cut Aether Vial, but honestly, getting in underneath skred seems important, so Id probably still run it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

I already cut Emrakul for a second newlamog (and it has proven a very good move), so I could at best fit in the one. I happen to have one that I opened, so I'll give it a shot. What does it end up doing for you, over the other finishers?

It's a game winner against the mirror and the Bx Eldrazi deck for 3 less mana than Newlomog. It blocks everything in the format. A lot of times it's just Karn's 5 and 6. You're also going to play against a lot of decks that want to Blood Moon you early but don't have a quick clock and it those cases, hard casting it off 7 lands and a egg just wins you the game. This is main deck blood moon hate that can't be countered. The card is insane.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Kira, Spellskite, and countermagic. If you run pithing needles you could play one and name koth or sheets maybe? Not sure if you want to be playing a long game though.

Madmarker posted:

Um, bring in an additional kira if they have one in the board, some amount of counter magic, probably a mix of unified will/negate/dispel in trade for harbinger/phantasmal images, and then just go to town. Honestly it should be a pretty even matchup all in all., especially since merfolk has Master of Waves as a good trump card.

If you fear artifact removal, you might want to cut Aether Vial, but honestly, getting in underneath skred seems important, so Id probably still run it.

Aether Vial flashing in Kira or a Spellskite is a huge blowout, I would probably leave it in just for that. Non-lord, non-silvergill merfolk would probably be a better cut.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 25, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Kira, Spellskite, and countermagic. If you run pithing needles you could play one and name koth maybe? Not sure if you want to be playing a long game though.

Aether Vial flashing in Kira or a Spellskite is a huge blowout, I would probably leave it in just for that. Non-lord, non-silvergill merfolk would probably be a better cut.

Flashing in Kira does nothing in response. Kira Triggers on the first spell, if kira isn't already out when that spell is cast, that doesn't happen. Your point still stands for spellskite though.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

mcmagic posted:

It's a game winner against the mirror and the Bx Eldrazi deck for 3 less mana than Newlomog. It blocks everything in the format. A lot of times it's just Karn's 5 and 6. You're also going to play against a lot of decks that want to Blood Moon you early but don't have a quick clock and it those cases, hard casting it off 7 lands and a egg just wins you the game. This is main deck blood moon hate that can't be countered. The card is insane.

Whats your list? Looks like I need to test it before regionals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is what I have now but it's going to change before regionals.

4x Karn
2x Ulamog
3x Wurmcoil Engine
2x World Breaker
2x Spellskite

1x Ugin

4x Ancient Stirrings
4x Expedation Map
4x Star
4x Sphere
4x Sylvan Scrying
3x Oblivion Stone
3x Pyroclasm

4x Tower
4x Mine
4x Power Plant
4x Grove
1x Forest
2x Ghost Quarter
1x Eye of Ugin

SB
2x Crumble to Dust
1x Ugin
2x Thragtusk
3x Nature's Claim
2x Crucible of Worlds
3x Pithing Needle
1x Vandalblast
1x Relic

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
I'm looking to get back into casually playing Magic with my brother, right now we're I think using a couple duel decks IIRC, I was wondering if the most current event deck has enough value to it that it warrants buying. I know they were highly valued at least before, and with a quick glance I like the theme of it. I would appreciate knowing what you guys think as I'll likely purchase it after dinner if I don't hear anything bad about it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Stik3 posted:

I'm looking to get back into casually playing Magic with my brother, right now we're I think using a couple duel decks IIRC, I was wondering if the most current event deck has enough value to it that it warrants buying. I know they were highly valued at least before, and with a quick glance I like the theme of it. I would appreciate knowing what you guys think as I'll likely purchase it after dinner if I don't hear anything bad about it.

If you're just playing causing they should definitely provide a good amount of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How many Affinity matchups are not this

Actual none. The deck is favored in every t1 match up I am pretty sure? It's been rocking a 53%+ winrate since pod has been banned at the very least. That's when I started playing it and wasn't paying attention prior.

• Locked thread