Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

It's actually not even that big of a deal. A friend of mine wanted a goofy intro for his World of Tanks videos, so I decided to make the Thunder Force 4 opening, but with tanks. I figured that would be pretty cool, yeah?

I made this to replace the Rynex, rotoscoping the Maus model to get the frames I wanted. It was such a fun little project that I took the idea of flying space tanks a little too seriously.
That was like... about a year and a half ago? It was only last month that I found a super competent programmer that took interest in helping out with this. Before that it was totally shelved.
All the player sprites and some of the bigger things are planned to be rotoscoped, since tanks are PRETTY COMPLICATED. Already have the SPACE SHERMAN model since a friend got REALLY excited and wanted to help out.

Hopefully he'll be up for the rest. If not, I'll just have to make them myself. (though I'm dreading the SUPER CARRIER YAMATO with a pair of US aircraft carriers strapped to the sides of it.)

Instead of rotoscoping by hand, this shader might be useful?

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=18842.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Ehh, it doesn't give me the level of control I'd want. besides, the size of the player sprites are gonna be like this:

It wouldn't really afford me that much of an advantage to do that. (especially since I'm trying to mark the hitbox area very specific and easy to understand.)
Now for some of the OTHER things I have planned... well, we'll see!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Screenshotcap Saturday:

AI investigation routines are starting to take their final shape.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Colon Semicolon posted:

Really, the hardest I ever want this getting is pretty much Gradius or R-type. I've never been all that thrilled with true full-on Bullet hell. I think it's an obtuse way to artificially lengthen a game by setting an arbitrary skill cieling.
The eventual goal graphically is to mix 3D and 2D elements to make something very akin to the Playstation era. i always felt like the genre hit it's highest point along that time, and I really want to continue that progression of extravagantly designed backgrounds and enemy encounters.
"Bullet Hell" is a different style of gameplay, not a measure of difficulty. Yes, there are a lot of bullets on the screen, which can be intimidating, but they tend to move much slower than they do in "traditional" shooters, giving you a lot more time to plan and react. Difficulty can be as high or low as desired, but the bullet hell games I've played have tended to be a lot less frustrating than, say, Thunder Force or Einhander, because they at least give me enough time to see and understand what killed me, rather than forcing me to memorize the whole stage or suffer instant death. It might help to do some more research into the styles and conventions of the genre if you're going to be making a game in it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Lork posted:

"Bullet Hell" is a different style of gameplay, not a measure of difficulty. Yes, there are a lot of bullets on the screen, which can be intimidating, but they tend to move much slower than they do in "traditional" shooters, giving you a lot more time to plan and react. Difficulty can be as high or low as desired, but the bullet hell games I've played have tended to be a lot less frustrating than, say, Thunder Force or Einhander, because they at least give me enough time to see and understand what killed me, rather than forcing me to memorize the whole stage or suffer instant death. It might help to do some more research into the styles and conventions of the genre if you're going to be making a game in it.

I've been playing these games for years, I know the differences quite well. Some of my favorite games fall into that category. (Ketsui, Armed Police Batrider, Eschatos) I'm just really bad at them! It's the CAVE mentality that I find awful, IE throwing hundreds, if not thousands of things on screen to overwhelm the player. I always preferred Gradius style progression over that, because it's a bit looser and easier to manage. R-Type was a bit TOO strict, but it's still easy enough. (For me, maybe not everyone else.) I'm mostly making a game I would personally enjoy playing the most, and I'm hoping others will too.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 23, 2016

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Colon Semicolon posted:

I've been playing these games for years, I know the differences quite well. Some of my favorite games fall into that category. (Ketsui, Armed Police Batrider, Eschatos) I'm just really bad at them! I always preferred Gradius style progression over that, because it's a bit looser and easier to manage. R-Type was a bit TOO strict, but it's still easy enough. (For me, maybe not everyone else.) I'm mostly making a game I would personally enjoy playing the most, and I'm hoping others will too.
Don't worry about it. It's just a pet peeve of mine when it looks like somebody is falsely attributing difficulty to something that is actually difficulty agnostic. See also: Regenerating health.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Yodzilla posted:

LETS CRANK UP THE NONSENSE AND TRY TO BREAK THIS poo poo

http://i.imgur.com/SMktULz.webm

This is ridiculously pretty.

Anyone else currently doing #screensaverjam? I've started remaking the old Windows 98 "Nature" screensaver as a kind of shooter game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQAb-MhcD6c

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

This is ridiculously pretty.

Thanks! We're real happy with how it's turning out. Besides the stress test and the adding of a gif recorder that image also shows Hastilude's new mobs which will be a part of the campaign and co-op.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Trying to figure out how I want waterfalls to work and adding current to my water. Default current might be a touch excessive.
http://i.imgur.com/xu4oYmH.gifv

Falling water is hard. Can't decide if I want to go particle system or mesh with animated texture route. One the one hand particle systems are easier to make and more dynamic. But on the other hand they have some potentially major performance issues. But then in my tests I can spawn thousands of collision enabled particles without noticing too much performance cost, possibly 10s of thousands of them. The fact that I don't think I've ever seen a game use a primarily particle system based falling/flowing water suggests to me that there may be other reasons though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spek posted:

Trying to figure out how I want waterfalls to work and adding current to my water. Default current might be a touch excessive.
http://i.imgur.com/xu4oYmH.gifv

Falling water is hard. Can't decide if I want to go particle system or mesh with animated texture route. One the one hand particle systems are easier to make and more dynamic. But on the other hand they have some potentially major performance issues. But then in my tests I can spawn thousands of collision enabled particles without noticing too much performance cost, possibly 10s of thousands of them. The fact that I don't think I've ever seen a game use a primarily particle system based falling/flowing water suggests to me that there may be other reasons though.

that's 10s of thousands of particles you aren't using for sweet explosions.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Finished my https://screensaverjam game - here's a link if anyone wants to give it a go! It took about a day and a half to finish up, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Here's an updated video with audio as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4H5P8_RVlQ

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Trying to add logical explanations to gameplay mechanics makes some hilariously dark and bizarre story situations.

I don't have the energy to make shitloads of armors so you get hats by defeating bosses and you gain experience to unlock skills that are tied to these. The grim game-world explanation to this would go something like this:

Skills are acquired by defeating powerful foes and ripping pieces off their bodies to wear as a trophy on your head so that you learn to think like your enemy and become it as you please.

I'm having a blast coming up with the conversations that spawn between characters during these moments since their personallities will be grounded in reality.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 24, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So I want to drum up the probability/RNG chat again. My sister was playing Yokai Watch and we were arguing about how the game will have like 5% chance to recruit any character and she spent like 2 hours trying to find one dude. I was suggesting that there should be a bonus every time you fail until eventually you have a 100% chance succeeding. If you put in enough time then you should just get what you want guaranteed. Would a "catch up" mechanic like this be a more favorable outcome than a flat percentage?

Although the more I think about the subject, the more I dislike probability in games at all. I was thinking about how to design a squad-based tactics game around this where every attack is a 100% chance to hit, you just click and do damage. Cover of any kind absorbs attacks so soft cover just reduces damage while hard cover requires maneuvering around or indirect attacks like grenades. Instead of improving things like accuracy you're unlocking new skills like suppression fire which would force someone to stay in cover instead of moving.

edit: I just realized I described Full Spectrum Warrior, I wish that kind of game got an updated design.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I haven't posted anything in a while, so I figured I'd share the final design for the creepy spider monster that stalks the player in Cold-Tek. It's much stronger than the player at first, and moves throughout the entire world on its own. If you set off an alarm it will know exactly where you are.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Spek posted:

Water GIF

I love this so much.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Oh yeah that water looks super cool.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've got a bit of a Unity conundrum, regarding sprite-based animation. For my game, the characters are able to walk in the 8 orthogonal and diagonal directions, and are going to have sprite-based walkcycles for this. Where things get complicated is in chaining moves together along paths with changing directions: I don't currently know if the walkcycles will come to a natural stopping point at every tile, and if they don't, I want to be able to transition smoothly between the cycles while changing direction. There are seven frames in each walk cycle, so let's say that when we arrive at a tile heading North, we're at frame 4 of the cycle and we're changing to head North-East. So what I want to be able to do is be able to jump to a specific frame of another animation, so it goes North4 -> NorthEast5, to make a smooth animation. Does Unity's animator system allow me to do this? Because from the official tutorials I've seen, I'm not sure if it's built for something like this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DStecks posted:

I've got a bit of a Unity conundrum, regarding sprite-based animation. For my game, the characters are able to walk in the 8 orthogonal and diagonal directions, and are going to have sprite-based walkcycles for this. Where things get complicated is in chaining moves together along paths with changing directions: I don't currently know if the walkcycles will come to a natural stopping point at every tile, and if they don't, I want to be able to transition smoothly between the cycles while changing direction. There are seven frames in each walk cycle, so let's say that when we arrive at a tile heading North, we're at frame 4 of the cycle and we're changing to head North-East. So what I want to be able to do is be able to jump to a specific frame of another animation, so it goes North4 -> NorthEast5, to make a smooth animation. Does Unity's animator system allow me to do this? Because from the official tutorials I've seen, I'm not sure if it's built for something like this.

Try this. When switching animations get the current animation normalized time: Animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(layer).normalizedTime
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimatorStateInfo.html
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimationState-normalizedTime.html

And then pass that normalized time into the new animation's Play method to start at the same place. This assumes that they're all the same length of course as the time is a float from 0 to 1 http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Animator.Play.html

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Try this. When switching animations get the current animation normalized time: Animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(layer).normalizedTime
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimatorStateInfo.html
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimationState-normalizedTime.html

And then pass that normalized time into the new animation's Play method to start at the same place. This assumes that they're all the same length of course as the time is a float from 0 to 1 http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Animator.Play.html

Thanks, I'll try that! And yeah, they're all exactly 7 frames.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

DStecks posted:

Also, remember that if you're doing frame-by-frame animation, players are extremely forgiving of sacrificing fidelity for speed and responsiveness. There's not a player in the world who gives a gently caress if it doesn't look just right when the character reverses direction, if they do so promptly and without fuss. This is even true in 3D games, but so many games overanimate their poo poo until it doesn't flow anymore.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Unity mecanim docs definitely assume you are going for an AC style shut up and watch my goddamn perfect walk cycle animations thing.

There's a cool Road Not Taken article out there on how they tweak animations by how quickly the player is smacking the button. Starting from a nice transition to just blinking between if someone is in a hurry and the transition persists for a while after the input events stop.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Finished my https://screensaverjam game - here's a link if anyone wants to give it a go! It took about a day and a half to finish up, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Here's an updated video with audio a well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4H5P8_RVlQ
Not able to give it a whirl at the moment, but it looks great. Inspired by any particular game? Because that activate-on-pickup mechanic seems like a whole bunch of fun (I would've assumed that something like that would be married to very precise controls, but the video makes them look a bit loose?). And the sound effects are hella sweet.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

So I want to drum up the probability/RNG chat again. My sister was playing Yokai Watch and we were arguing about how the game will have like 5% chance to recruit any character and she spent like 2 hours trying to find one dude. I was suggesting that there should be a bonus every time you fail until eventually you have a 100% chance succeeding. If you put in enough time then you should just get what you want guaranteed. Would a "catch up" mechanic like this be a more favorable outcome than a flat percentage?

Although the more I think about the subject, the more I dislike probability in games at all. I was thinking about how to design a squad-based tactics game around this where every attack is a 100% chance to hit, you just click and do damage. Cover of any kind absorbs attacks so soft cover just reduces damage while hard cover requires maneuvering around or indirect attacks like grenades. Instead of improving things like accuracy you're unlocking new skills like suppression fire which would force someone to stay in cover instead of moving.

edit: I just realized I described Full Spectrum Warrior, I wish that kind of game got an updated design.

I've developed a strong opinion over the years that randomness is only acceptable when it affects something other than numbers. Randomly generated maps? Great! This chest contains a random item? Sure! I have a a one in ten chance to summon a Heck Daemon any time I swing my sword? Go hog wild!

I have a 62% chance to do 3-6 damage? Get right the gently caress out.

The new XCOM, which contains a lot of bad RNG, cheats in your favor in the exact way you describe. On the lower two difficulties, you get bonus points whenever you miss a shot and they get added to your to-hit rolls until you get a successful shot again. It's a good system, though I believe the game shows you the unmodified probability and I don't exactly approve of outright lying to the player.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 25, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

anatomi posted:

Not able to give it a whirl at the moment, but it looks great. Inspired by any particular game? Because that activate-on-pickup mechanic seems like a whole bunch of fun (I would've assumed that something like that would be married to very precise controls, but the video makes them look a bit loose?). And the sound effects are hella sweet.

It looks really inspired by Tilt to Live, which is definitely not a bad thing. Gives it a really interesting control feel to have the character chase the pointer like that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

This is how the Three of Coins item in Destiny works when going for Legendaries and it's one of the smarter things they've done in the game.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Somfin posted:

This is even true in 3D games, but so many games overanimate their poo poo until it doesn't flow anymore.

Seriously this. I've seen so many games that would have felt way better if they *didn't* have a million transition animations and just snapped from one anim to the other. Responsiveness > smoothness 90% of the time.

edit: Also another thing I really hate: When devs slow down and/or stop the walking animation when the player is walking against a wall. I know they think it looks less silly, but it kills the feedback the player gets for how far they're pushing the analogue stick and just feels 'sticky'.

AntiPseudonym fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 25, 2016

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
You know what I hate is when game animate resource collection/opening doors/etc. Holy poo poo, stop that poo poo.

*watches Geralt drink potions and crack his neck for the 5,000,000 time*

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Unormal posted:

You know what I hate is when game animate resource collection/opening doors/etc. Holy poo poo, stop that poo poo.

I think this is okay for slower and more deliberately paced games like Dark Souls, but care should always be taken to make sure that you don't have a long-rear end animation for an action the player is going to be doing frequently out of combat.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Unormal posted:

What's funny is Monster Hunter used this to its advantage and made a comically long animation, so there was a risk/reward to healing. Always thought that was neat. But of course if its purpose ends up being just "flavor" and is really just a annoyance then it should go.

AntiPseudonym posted:

edit: Also another thing I really hate: When devs slow down and/or stop the walking animation when the player is walking against a wall. I know they think it looks less silly, but it kills the feedback the player gets for how far they're pushing the analogue stick and just feels 'sticky'.

Anything that becomes multiple commands with one button is tricky to. For example running up to a wall to flatten your body against it, and then using the same analog stick to look around the corner. I'm looking at you Metal Gear.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Unormal posted:

Dear games where you skin animals, show that poo poo once the first time you do it and then never again. I'm looking at you Red Dead Redemption. Thanks.

e: MASH THIS BUTTON TO OPEN A CHEST I'M KRATOS AND SO ANGRY AAAUUURRGGHHH

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I always hated how ground melee attacks in games freeze you in place, but the exact same attack when you're in the air doesn't. You're always jumping around like an idiot just so you don't get locked in place by the animation and probably get hit. (Looking at you, like almost every single game from the 8 and 16 bit era.) This tradition still lives on for whatever reason.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 25, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yep I just dealt with that in Dragon's Dogma. Also for some reason in Lords of the Fallen most of the Fast Attacks were equal to or slower than Heavy Attacks and the actual fastest attack you had was doing a Heavy Attack while sprinting which game you the added benefit of, well, moving really quick. It was dumb.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Ok now I'm stress testing some explosions, cause hey why not?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 25, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

Yep I just dealt with that in Dragon's Dogma. Also for some reason in Lords of the Fallen most of the Fast Attacks were equal to or slower than Heavy Attacks and the actual fastest attack you had was doing a Heavy Attack while sprinting which game you the added benefit of, well, moving really quick. It was dumb.

Dragon's Dogma traded off mobility for brutal combos for melee classes. So, you have to stay grounded, but you also get three stupid-heavy hits on the dude, the last of which sends them flying if the first two put him off balance.

If you're gonna make players stop moving during fights, at least make the attacks heavy enough that it feels good to do so.

E: Gawd that boom looks nice.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Somfin posted:

If you're gonna make players stop moving during fights, at least make the attacks heavy enough that it feels good to do so.

That makes me wonder, are there any (non-MMO) games that allow free movement during attacks and retain that heavy, character action-y gamefeel? I had to contend with this a few months ago, and I found that I preferred the inconvenience of the stopping to the comparatively light, ineffectual feel letting you move during an attack produced. I ended up compromising by preventing you from moving during windup and hitframes, but adding a very strong physics impulse that propelled you toward your target through the attack and concealed the immobility.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8N-c8H0pgw

Yeah it's 2.5d, but its roots are in traditional animation. I think this is the closest you'll get to a true 2.5d game. If you watch the talk he describes how it was made. What confuses me is how people really really really want to emulate traditional animation, without doing traditional animation. Again I suppose the argument is cost, but watching that video I'm not convinced that's the full argument, considering Pixar & Disney is trying to do the same thing with shaders.
The concrete, observed advantages this brings (vs some stuff that's more abstract like their mention of Blazblue already being "perfect 2d" when its 2d engine is laughable compared to Skullgirls') specifically in the context of games are:

-Texture memory savings: 3d skeletal animations, even with all the parts-swapping they're doing, are a whole lot more compact than the corresponding HD sprite sheets, even tiled and compressed to hell and back, and the animations themselves are held on conventional memory. Arcsys devs were constantly struggling with video memory limitations for their PS3 games, removing frames from old moves to include new ones. Skullgirls gets around that by constantly decompressing and streaming the needed sprites from system to video memory to get around this and required very clever coding and constant optimization.

-Resolution independence: Now you're playing with vector data, all you need to up the resolution is up the resolution. People using Gedosato to make 4k shots of Xrd have produced nothing but breathtaking results.

-Changeable outfits: All the animation data is separate from the graphics and even characters that have swappable parts don't have that many compared to the equivalent sprite sheet. So as long as you make new parts that conform to the same skeleton you can go wild. Currently seen in the game in two instances: one of the characters getting a different outfit in the newest version, and another who has a superpowered form in which all his moves gain new properties: in the 2d games that was just his normal sprite blinking red, in Xrd he's got an entirely different design that shares the same animations. But of course the real benefit of all that is gonna be future paid DLC outfits.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Since it seems to be what the cool kids are doing, I've started a DevLog on TIGSource. For now all it covers is stuff I've already posted here and in Game Development, but I try to get a little deeper into why I made the design choices I did, if anybody cares.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Yodzilla posted:

Dear games where you skin animals, show that poo poo once the first time you do it and then never again. I'm looking at you Red Dead Redemption. Thanks.
ALLOW ME TO TAKE YOUR COAT, MADAM. ALLOW ME TO TAKE YOUR COAT, MADAM. ALLOW ME TO TAKE YOUR COAT, MADAM. ALLOW ME TO TAKE YOUR COAT, MADAM. ALLOW ME TO TAKE YOUR COAT, MADAM.

:ssj:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Literally everyone in Just Cause 3 wants a parachute ride.

Or considers you the REAL general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
:byodood: MY MOTHER'S MY SISTER