Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

She may has well have looked at the camera and said its 2016 everyone!

some of that was pretty silly, but I thought it was cool for them to be talking about crazy nutso modern conspiracy theories about global warming and 9/11 and stuff. I'm really excited to see what they can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Here's an article that says it gets better, thank god

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/01/x-files-my-struggle-recap-darin-morgan-gets-better?mbid=social_twitter

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
That was a bad episode of the X-Files, but I don't care, because it was an episode of the X-Files.

The fact that the entire conspiracy rant made total sense to me is... somewhat worrying.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jan/22/the-x-files-review-revivial-new-episodes

"We don’t watch television like we used to. We live in the age of the binge, in a land where there is so much on television that episodes can’t take their time to unfold anymore. Everyone is in a hurry to hook the audience because their next favorite show is just a Netflix recommendation away. Has Carter even seen Empire?"

TV coverage is so bad now lmao

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Garrand posted:

Considering the first thing Scully said when she saw Mulder was "Uber?" I'm not sure exactly what they were going for.

This one is easy. If Mulder is living "off the grid", where even Skinner can't find him, then using Uber makes it really easy to track his movements, which would be out of character for him, hence Scully's incredulous tone when she said it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

So youre telling me the episode written by Chris Carter is bad and the one written by Darin Morgan is good

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I guess they get the benefit of the doubt because X-Files, but drat did that terrible alien rear end set the tone for this episode.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I went back and started from the pilot after watching tonight's episode. Here's a conspiracy: in 1993, the episode lasted 48 minutes. In 2016, the episode only lasted 42 minutes. :tinfoil: lost time!!! :tinfoil:

I'm kind of disappointed now because the ARV cover-up was the plot of the second episode.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My Q-Face posted:

I went back and started from the pilot after watching tonight's episode. Here's a conspiracy: in 1993, the episode lasted 48 minutes. In 2016, the episode only lasted 42 minutes. :tinfoil: lost time!!! :tinfoil:

I'm kind of disappointed now because the ARV cover-up was the plot of the second episode.

I did like the fact that Mulder explicitly said he had never seen one because they had erased his memory in that episode.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Garrand posted:

I did like the fact that Mulder explicitly said he had never seen one because they had erased his memory in that episode.

:dogstare: That's amazing. This series is gonna rule

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

That is definitely points in its favor.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You know what would have made this work? Remove all the visual aides whenever anything is mentioned.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Not to claim that the original series had the most well written dialogue even for its time but that was some farcical fan fiction-level writing. Not to mention the acting and the pacing, jeez.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

awful, awful, awful, awful, god-awful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alpenglow posted:

This might just be a fact of current short-attention-span TV, but did it seem like every cut was just a few frames too short? Like someone was behind the editors figuring out every way to cram too much exposition into enough time to squeeze in 2 more Ford commercials?

It didn't feel like natural talking at all, or even like the actors were all present at the same time for a lot of several scenes.

There was definitely some sped up footage of Scully talking, when she's on the phone. It was pretty distracting, even if it was only a few frames faster than the rest of the material.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PBS Newshour posted:

I just want an episode where Skinner mentions that his nanomachines are acting up again

Skinner gonna have to pay a visit to Senator Armstrong.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Wait, so why was the old doctor guy saying that Roswell was fake and Soviet when it shows us that the doctor knows it was real? Why tell Mulder that he's close by lying to him and telling him that something that's true is false?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What the fu-hu-huuuuck did I just watch :qq:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xPanda posted:

Wait, so why was the old doctor guy saying that Roswell was fake and Soviet when it shows us that the doctor knows it was real? Why tell Mulder that he's close by lying to him and telling him that something that's true is false?

Perhaps what we and the doctor saw was a staged scene.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That was definitely some late era X-Files mythology. Kind of disappointed that they recycled the season 5 opener again. It was good the first time I watched it; wasn't too hot about watching it again.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I enjoyed it. I would not say it was good, but I enjoyed it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone saying this was awful clearly never watched a lot of the Doggett and Reyes years. While they had a few decent episodes it was mostly poo poo. The worst Mulder and Scully is leap years ahead of that poo poo.

I like where they are going tho and this totally felt like the original series. Music, camera, acting etc. - it's amazing.

Also why didn't anyone take down Mulders pencils?? :3:

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it was alright. its dated and they had to cram in a ton of stuff but its still kinda fun in a nostalgic way. looking forward to the rest of the eps especially if they get better.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That sure was some "X-Files."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

xPanda posted:

According to the "Roswell was Soviet" conspiracy theory book, the aliens in the crash were actually KGB midgets genetically engineered by Josef Mengele. AMC was actually considering making a show based on that book a few years ago, but I think passed on it in favor of that Revolutionary War spy show.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I think the crash we saw wasn't actually Roswell. That's what I figured at least.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
It will be nice if the other episodes are directed and edited in a more relaxed and steady-beat fashion to achieve the show's original style. Maybe it was only a result of the overcrowded script, but a lot of this episode felt like it was striving for a more modern breakneck pace and "edgy" style.

I personally don't have much of an issue with the effects in the episode. The show was always fairly pulpy and never really felt like it would gain much from being totally realistic in its imagery. Uncanny valley is still near impossible to leap, so I'd rather we not even try and just set up camp on the cliff and enjoy the camp.

I'm getting all excited thinking about the cold opens for the four monster of the week episodes. I hope they're awesome.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

The original conspiracy was about The Syndicate kidnapping people for experiments in creating alien human hybrids so that humans could be used as slaves by the aliens (also The Syndicate was also stalling while trying to create a vaccine that would make them immune to the black oil virus that the aliens would use to make them slaves). Of course they all ended up dead after the Rebels killed them for working with the aliens in the first place. Then later on there was stuff about super soldiers but that was in like the last season and didn't really go anywhere.

This new conspiracy makes even less sense. I'm going to wait for the rest of the episodes to make a final judgement, though

Perhaps this will tie in to Carter's better series, "Millennium." If you recall, Millennium was much more about a vast conspiracy concerning two conflicting groups--one wanted to gain control of everything using esoteric technologies and beliefs, and the other was resisting them. One of the final episodes of X-Files even combined the two shows.

I'm enjoying this new X-FIles, and I especially enjoyed the statement by that radio guy to the extent that "9-11 changed everything in a very weird way." There is no disputing that.

Love,
Vitalis

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Welp, I literally watched the Kritschgau episodes right before watching the premiere. I decided a couple days ago to binge-watch mythos episodes before watching last nights episode. I shouldn't bother watching any more of the old mythos epsiodes, apparently. :v:

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Perhaps this will tie in to Carter's better series, "Millennium." If you recall, Millennium was much more about a vast conspiracy concerning two conflicting groups--one wanted to gain control of everything using esoteric technologies and beliefs, and the other was resisting them. One of the final episodes of X-Files even combined the two shows.

I'm enjoying this new X-FIles, and I especially enjoyed the statement by that radio guy to the extent that "9-11 changed everything in a very weird way." There is no disputing that.

So, should I go back and watch Millenium. I never did get into it, but maybe that is a better tie-in for nu X-files.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

Welp, I literally watched the Kritschgau episodes right before watching the premiere. I decided a couple days ago to binge-watch mythos episodes before watching last nights episode. I shouldn't bother watching any more of the old mythos epsiodes, apparently. :v:

So, should I go back and watch Millenium. I never did get into it, but maybe that is a better tie-in for nu X-files.

Yes, you really should explore the old Millennium shows. They were extremely interesting in that they exhibited Carter's thinking on a far more esoteric, non-alien level. The series pulsates with conspiratorial overtones that explain current events.

Good luck finding this series, though. It's been fairly "scrubbed" from most media outlets, and references to it are peculiarly rare.

Love,
Vitalis

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Poor Scully, the look on her face when she realized Mulder was trying to gently caress Sveta. :(

Also, any time Mulder started ranting, I couldn't help but think he sounded about as rambling as he did on that Simpsons episode.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Now watch as the ratings for episode 2 plummet after people saw what the first episode was like.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

I've only watched Millennium in its entirety when it first aired, but I remember liking it a lot.

Specifically, Lance Henriksen being awesome, the haunting and beautiful opening theme, and the episode Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me (which is awesome).

The series is worthy of a viewing independent of The X-Files.

SaltyMoose
Jan 4, 2013

no seriously stop
Can anyone please explain the point of the government doing human-alien fetuses abortion plot? Why is that a thing?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SaltyMoose posted:

Can anyone please explain the point of the government doing human-alien fetuses abortion plot? Why is that a thing?

IT's x files dude, you expect all the answers in the first loving episode?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I liked it. It was a tad by the numbers and dry, but it felt like a slower episode of the old series. I'll chalk it up to having to reintroduce basically the entire show and mytharc to new viewers and those that haven't watched since the first run and need a refresher.

I have no idea what this did to the old mytharc stuff though. Where this leaves black goo, super soldiers, alien bounty hunters, the faceless aliens, the ship from the first movie, the drat bees and all the talk of needing a hybrid to combat colonization is far beyond me at this point.

I actually kinda dig that Carter pulled in all the post 9/11 crazy. It'd be weird not to. It's all right up the crazy conspiracy alley for a group of people to be pulling the strings that way.

All in all I enjoyed the episode, but really hope it does get better from here on out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Austrian mook posted:

IT's x files dude, you expect all the answers in the first loving episode?

No one has patience anymore and its why this was edited at such a break neck pace.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm really hoping Mulder is back tonight and Hank is back in Hollywood. I think that was my biggest problem with the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BlackJosh posted:

I think the crash we saw wasn't actually Roswell. That's what I figured at least.

Yeah, I thought they didn't mention it was Roswell. The ship looked fake as hell, too. But I couldn't tell if it was bad CGI or if they were purposely trying to throw out some clues. Then they gunned the alien down in front of the medic for no reason. But then they show the medic was carrying the dead alien around, so he would have known it was a fake. It felt like it was entirely staged just for that medic, but who knows why.

• Locked thread