Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Akiyama is my favorite character both story and gameplay wise and if he's gone (or downgraded to NPC) I am going to be significantly less interested in Y6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is Yakuza 6 the first game in the series to have ragdoll physics?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I want Takaeshi playable

He plays Takasugi right? I feel similarly as I do with playable Majima, in that it takes out some of the magic of having him show up to do wacky bullshit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
What I really want is a cop game with Sayama, Tanimura and Date. Still beating the hell out of people, but busting perps and dealing with corruption.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

SpacePig posted:

What I really want is a cop game with Sayama, Tanimura and Date. Still beating the hell out of people, but busting perps and dealing with corruption.

As long as we're dreaming, I hope Haruka gets a combat role in this never-gonna-happen game, based entirely around her stunning with fire extinguishers/frying pans/magical girl props/etc. and having someone else finish off the enemy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Captain Walker posted:

As long as we're dreaming, I hope Haruka gets a combat role in this never-gonna-happen game, based entirely around her stunning with fire extinguishers/frying pans/magical girl props/etc. and having someone else finish off the enemy.

Atelier Haruka: Idol of Kamurocho

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would love anyone with a similar playstyle to Tanimura.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I honestly hope they return to just Kiryu.

Yeah, none of the other guys really are as good.

Captain Walker posted:

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURNR3uuHGA

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

mikeycp posted:

I would love anyone with a similar playstyle to Tanimura.

It kinda hurt in Yakuza 5 seeing Shinada have some of Tanimura's Heat moves, but with a combat style that just didn't flow with me. It was like seeing your ex walking around with a new guy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I kind of like Shinada. His "special ability" is probably the least useful but having infinite-use weapons is pretty great.

Also I love that when you use the heat move to steal a baseball bat from an enemy he gently sets it down on the ground.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Sindai posted:

I kind of like Shinada. His "special ability" is probably the least useful but having infinite-use weapons is pretty great.

Also I love that when you use the heat move to steal a baseball bat from an enemy he gently sets it down on the ground afterwards.

I kind of like him too, but I looooved Tanimura's style. I'm a sucker for counter moves in fighting games. He's not bad, he's just my least favorite fighting style. I respect it, it just doesn't click with what I like in a fighting system.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

When I was playing the finale, I was running around as with Shinada as my AI ally and I turned around and he was hitting people with a bat. It was garbage. WHERE IS YOUR OATH NOW.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can't wait to break out of jail again with my friend Saejima

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

lets hang out posted:

Can't wait to break out of jail again with my friend Saejima

In Yakuza 6, Majima is unjustly thrown into prison, and you play as Saejima trying to break INTO the jail to reach him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

I honestly hope they return to just Kiryu.

With this being the first true PS4 title, it's quite likely there will be a reduced cast of playable characters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I need to be reassured that I haven't suddenly become a total moron and the mental math questions in the convenience store sidequest are totally impossible for a regular human to do in the time given, right?

EDIT: I guess you're supposed to figure it out before the choice comes up, but my Yakuza instinct to :f5: through all dialog as fast as I can read it is too strong.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 26, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Crappy Jack posted:

In Yakuza 6, Majima is unjustly thrown into prison, and you play as Saejima trying to break INTO the jail to reach him.

Unfortuantely for them it isn't just Riki Oh. It's also a SPACE PRISON.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Complaints I have about Y5

1.Millennium Tower doesn't explode
2. Final Chapter is super plot dump time and it felt like playing MGS4.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

KingShiro posted:

1.Millennium Tower doesn't explode

It gets attacked by dudes with machine guns, close enough

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I finished Yakuza 5 yesterday.

Some thoughts about the ending:

Gameplay-wise I was mostly okay with it, I thought it was handled better than the finale of 4. Some complaints though:

- Akiyama's "final boss" was really disappointing. Seriously, that guy AGAIN? Who was beaten by Akiyama two times already and is suddenly mysteriously stronger?

- Same thing for Kiryu. Aizawa, really? Really? That is the final boss of the game? The you beat in the first loving chapter? Also, there were waaaaay too many QTEs in that fight.

Also, the ending basically answers nothing and leaves open tons of plot poins.

What happened to Kiryu - is he gonna go back to being a taxi driver? Sunflower? Tojo Clan? Is Haruka really gonna give up her idol career? Is Saejima going back to prison? Is Shinada gonna try and be a professional baseball player again? What about the whole Tojo Clan vs Omi Alliance thing - is that just not gonna happen and everyone's friends with each other now?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I'd be cool to have a game where you play as Omi dudes, wanna play as Watase.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dunban posted:

I finished Yakuza 5 yesterday.

Some thoughts about the ending:

What happened to Kiryu - is he gonna go back to being a taxi driver? Sunflower? Tojo Clan? Is Haruka really gonna give up her idol career? Is Saejima going back to prison? Is Shinada gonna try and be a professional baseball player again? What about the whole Tojo Clan vs Omi Alliance thing - is that just not gonna happen and everyone's friends with each other now?

1. No, he's loving dead until 6 says otherwise, that was such a rough cutscene drat (Also I believed they killed him off in 3's ending I am gullible)
2. She basically blacklisted herself out with admitting her yakuza connections so probably not
3. Maybe the third time nothing's going to go wrong...
4. Shinada is going to get loving laid
5. Yes

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
It's pretty funny to me that during the brief non-combat part in the finale, I realise that Kiryu has been loving blasted whilst all of this poo poo has been going on.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
The fact Kiryu weeps for Rikiya and Tachibana and yet didnt shed a tear for Yumi, Nishiki or Fuuma is kind of messed up. Why is Tachibana and Rikiya more important to Kiryu than the three people he grew up with?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

6 demo is up if you bought Kiwami. no load times :woop:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

lets hang out posted:

6 demo is up if you bought Kiwami. no load times :woop:
Oh yeah...how does that work if I bought the download version? I went to the store and it said I needed a download ticket.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah...how does that work if I bought the download version? I went to the store and it said I needed a download ticket.

I got the DL version and I just downloaded it. I did start it off on the web store, though so if you're having bother it might be worth trying that.

edit: As for the demo itself, it's good fun and seems to be coming along well. Kiryu's movement is way too heavy when walking around and I'm disappointed at the apparent lack of context Heat attacks, but the destruction is fantastic (if a bit buggy) and hammering Triangle to hit people in the face REALLY HARD is a good way to quickly rack up damage. Actually the whole getting into a fight on the street thing being so much faster is likely going to be a massive reduction in annoyance as you go through the game. I also really like that the default grab throw now hits everyone around you, very useful for crowd control which looks like it'll be necessary given the enemy numbers in that first couple of fights. I really hope that they get lots of Heat attacks in there though, especially now you can break windows and go up stairs in buildings seamlessly. It was disappointing that I couldn't bundle anyone into the Poppo freezer or toss them out of a third floor window.

I also didn't realise the full version is coming out this year - it's clear why Kiwami feels a bit less full of "stuff" compared to other recent titles now (though it still took me 30 hours to get through).

uiruki fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 28, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

uiruki posted:

I got the DL version and I just downloaded it. I did start it off on the web store, though so if you're having bother it might be worth trying that.
I was trying to use the iOS app, I thought that would be the same.

Edit: never mind, it just needed some love.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 28, 2016

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was trying to use the iOS app, I thought that would be the same.

Edit: never mind, it just needed some love.

Sounds about right, I tried to set it off downloading and the web store just hung there, PS4 not turning on or anything. I had to then log into that and set it away.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Is Kiwami worth skipping?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ntan1 posted:

Is Kiwami worth skipping?
Ishin is the only game I even somewhat regret finishing and I still put like 50 hours into it. I never played the zombie one though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If you really liked 0 it's just one but with Kiryu having those mechanics. Honestly, I'd like for Kiwami to be brought to the West as well as 1: It's a Sony Exclusive game they can capitalize on and 2: It'll let all the people that could have potentially started with 0 find out what immediately happens after that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Maybe worth playing just because it'll probably be the last yakuza that plays like that, since they're changing things up some for 6. Hard to tell how much from the demo though, like the difference between what's an actual change and what's just incomplete isn't really clear.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://gematsu.com/gallery/yakuza-6/january-27-2016/

Huge gallery of Y6 screens.

Apparently the combat is a bit poo poo in the demo?

Haruka didn't age

e:

http://www.twitch.tv/jimmyqballs/v/38109627

One hour + of gameplay here.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 28, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
She's been around Uncle Kaz long enough to absorb some of his badass ability to defy getting old.

Oh wow, that combat is really different than the usual Yakuza stuff. I'm not sure how a feel about it but I do like how most of them seem to end on that close up to the face.

EDIT: Can you not grab people and get special finishers with weapons to get specialty kills anymore or is he just not know how to do that?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 28, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, this certainly is the big change to combat they have been promising for years but hadn't delivered until now. Also, the movement animation is now modern in the sense that it's like Assassin's Creed or what have you. All that stuff sure cost the frame rate though. Maybe they can fix it later.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I believe Toshihiro Nagoshi has said about Yakuza 6 that they're looking for feedback based on this demo so it's quite clearly got a lot of time for improvements and fine tuning so I'd expect them to get the frame-rate to be more consistently 30 frames per second and to tweak up some combat. The animation certainly flows nicely for sure.

I don't think anyone really expected this to be 60fps, right?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
With the cross-generation engine Ishin being 60 on PS4 and the detail and amounts of models it gets up with later in the game I figured 60 would be the thing. I got spoilt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm a big fan of the occasionally wacky physics on people and object during battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I liked the part of the stream where Kiryu leers menacingly at a hostess and her client sitting in a booth and they just stare at him, horrified.

• Locked thread